• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Character Customization Discussion Thread

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Welp, if LGPE of all games is going to have customization, then there is no doubt in my mind that it will be in this game as well. :D
Yeah no doubt. Can’t think of any other reason why it won’t come back ^^

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
To be honest I don't see LGPE reflecting GF plans for character customization that much for gen8.

Not that I doubt gen8 will have it, it's just with these games being so different they seem more like an experiment and less of a "we wanna do this this and this in the future".

Orphalesion

To be honest I don't see LGPE reflecting GF plans for character customization that much for gen8.

Not that I doubt gen8 will have it, it's just with these games being so different they seem more like an experiment and less of a "we wanna do this this and this in the future".

The worry some people had was that if LGPR didn't have character customization, it might get dropped. Now I don't agree with a concern, on account that LGPR is a revisit of an older region/generation, has several things cut out because of that (like the vast majority of Pokemon species) and there's predence of remakes/reimaginings dropping customization (ORAS).
But now that trainer customization is confirmed for LG, even this tiny bit of worry has been dispelled.

That being said, I kind of hope Pokemon customization doesn't become a main staple of the series. It's too goofy for my taste.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
The worry some people had was that if LGPR didn't have character customization, it might get dropped. Now I don't agree with a concern, on account that LGPR is a revisit of an older region/generation, has several things cut out because of that (like the vast majority of Pokemon species) and there's predence of remakes/reimaginings dropping customization (ORAS).
But now that trainer customization is confirmed for LG, even this tiny bit of worry has been dispelled.

That being said, I kind of hope Pokemon customization doesn't become a main staple of the series. It's too goofy for my taste.

My concern with Pokemon customization is just how practical and good it be. It's easy when it's small creatures, but as they evolve and get bigger it can raise/cause all sorts of problems.

Orphalesion

My concern with Pokemon customization is just how practical and good it be. It's easy when it's small creatures, but as they evolve and get bigger it can raise/cause all sorts of problems.

It would probably stay with the standard "cute" mons; Pikachu, Eevee, Marill etc. Because modelling hats and little sweaters to fit 900+ creatures would be an unreasonable amount of work.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
But some of the accessories can be resized to fit larger Pokémon, especially bows. But I guess it depends on what's to come because it's not yet known how the Switch will handle such things.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'd like some unnatural hair colors like blue or pink. Also, I want to be able to control the size of my ponytail/pigtails. Oh and maybe have some mannequins so we can see how each style will look. And for clothes they can have the contest categories for the outfits like beauty, cute, cool etc.,
I don’t think we’ll have unnatural colours available in the beginning. Later in the game we can have options to dye our hair with such colours.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
I think it's we can pretty much confirm that since gen 6 customization will be a prominent feature for now on excluding remakes (and even then, that's not a guarantee).

If they do continue this I have some ideas of how they can improve it:

1. Don't. make. it. limited. via. game. version. It is so unfair that if you want a special type of clothing it's locked behind another version. If I want a shirt I shouldn't have to get a version of a game I don't want. Why not just have the option to trade clothes with friends online? It's a dumb feature that I did not like in USUM and I hope they don't do it in the future. They got it right with X and Y. All they needed was to give more options.

2. Give the guys more options. The amount the guys get for options for anything is pathetic compared to girls. They could do better.

3. If they're going to go more with stylish options have us be able to see what we want first. In X an Y, once again, we got a dressing room to see our character, but in future games we didn't? Who thought this was a good idea? It could cost up to $4000 pokedallors which is expensive early on in the game! You should be able to see what you're buying first. Every other RPG does this, I don't see what makes pokemon so special that it can't.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I think it's we can pretty much confirm that since gen 6 customization will be a prominent feature for now on excluding remakes (and even then, that's not a guarantee).

If they do continue this I have some ideas of how they can improve it:

1. Don't. make. it. limited. via. game. version. It is so unfair that if you want a special type of clothing it's locked behind another version. If I want a shirt I shouldn't have to get a version of a game I don't want. Why not just have the option to trade clothes with friends online? It's a dumb feature that I did not like in USUM and I hope they don't do it in the future. They got it right with X and Y. All they needed was to give more options.

2. Give the guys more options. The amount the guys get for options for anything is pathetic compared to girls. They could do better.

3. If they're going to go more with stylish options have us be able to see what we want first. In X an Y, once again, we got a dressing room to see our character, but in future games we didn't? Who thought this was a good idea? It could cost up to $4000 pokedallors which is expensive early on in the game! You should be able to see what you're buying first. Every other RPG does this, I don't see what makes pokemon so special that it can't.
Agreed here. I hated the fact some clothes were version exclusive in Gen 7 and I don’t think that’s the case in Gen 6. So that’s a regression that should be reversed and Festival Plaza created that issue. I don’t think we’ll have something like that in Gen 8 so that problem can be easily fixed.

Well the girls have to spend about twice as much to get all of the clothing in the game compared to the boys. More clothing for the boys would definitely improve the balance.

It’s nice we can sample our clothing we were about to buy collectively so it feels like we’re really doing our fashion shopping. It’ll even be nice to see what combinations they can offer.

Overall I expect improvements to be made to these issues and it’s quite easily to solve them so why not solve them sometime. It will benefit the experiences of many players playing Gen 8.

Born Better

God of Lightning
I don't know if Gen 7 actually had less stuff or if Gen 6's option were a lot better and more varied, but I really hope they fix that in Gen 8. I'd also like to see unnatural hair and eye colors. Because why not?

As for Pokemon customization? Eh it's whatever to me.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I don't know if Gen 7 actually had less stuff or if Gen 6's option were a lot better and more varied
Maaaaaybe one could make the case that gen 6’s options were a bit more varied, but gen 7 did not have less stuff at all. In gen 6 there were a total of just shy of 100 clothing items for the boy to collect, and just shy of 200 for the girl. In gen 7 there are more than 300 pieces for the boy to collect and almost 600 for the girl.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Maaaaaybe one could make the case that gen 6’s options were a bit more varied, but gen 7 did not have less stuff at all. In gen 6 there were a total of just shy of 100 clothing items for the boy to collect, and just shy of 200 for the girl. In gen 7 there are more than 300 pieces for the boy to collect and almost 600 for the girl.
Gen 6's clothes were more varied. In Gen 7, all you had to choose from were T-shirts, tank tops, shorts, or skirts (the latter only if you are playing as a girl). However, you can now take off your hat and wear glasses or other eyewear, and the girl can also wear lipstick. Available hair colors were also increased, going from a paltry 5 in X & Y to 9 in Sun & Moon. The number of available hairstyles has increased as well, going from 4 (for boys) and 6 (for girls) in X & Y to 6 (for boys) and 8 (for girls). USUM would add two additional hairstyles for boys and one for girls. You can also dye clothing now as well. The Lens Case also has more options available and is given to the player in a plot-relevant cutscene rather than having the player go to an optional area in order to get it.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I'd like character customization to return in these games. Only thing I don't want is for specific colors to be exclusive to one version.

Yes dying clothing is an option in SM/USUM but certain colors are locked behind Dye Houses in Festival Plaza. While playing US I don't want to waste time in Festival Plaza to try and get a blue/green/purple dye house.