• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Character Customization Discussion Thread

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Really think this was the point of no return for the games. XY started customization and every game afterwards (except ORAS) has started forcing it more and more and the core of the game started to fail as well. It's like GameFreak is going: "We need to make the games even easier for players - and add more customization features!" It's been this way since XY and there's no denying that customizing your Pikachu and Eevee is the point where I just need to ask myself, have they gone too far with this? To which I'm obviously going to get called out that they haven't and oh god it's so great that we FINALLY can give our Eevee a haircut to our liking.

Too fkin bad the games themselves have started to suck as a byproduct.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Really think this was the point of no return for the games. XY started customization and every game afterwards (except ORAS) has started forcing it more and more and the core of the game started to fail as well. It's like GameFreak is going: "We need to make the games even easier for players - and add more customization features!" It's been this way since XY and there's no denying that customizing your Pikachu and Eevee is the point where I just need to ask myself, have they gone too far with this? To which I'm obviously going to get called out that they haven't and oh god it's so great that we FINALLY can give our Eevee a haircut to our liking.

Too fkin bad the games themselves have started to suck as a byproduct.
I'd say this opinion would be better placed after we actually see the next core games in 2019, not LGPE.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Maaaaaybe one could make the case that gen 6’s options were a bit more varied, but gen 7 did not have less stuff at all. In gen 6 there were a total of just shy of 100 clothing items for the boy to collect, and just shy of 200 for the girl. In gen 7 there are more than 300 pieces for the boy to collect and almost 600 for the girl.

The numbers are bigger, but like what Riley said, the variety actually dwindles. IMO, it's not a "maybe", Gen 6 definitely has a much larger variation.

To be honest, I prefer having just 100 clothing selections with high variation, rather than having 200 clothing selections composed of the same things with different color.

Nodame

Misty <3
I hope this feature get expanded in Gen 8, like designing our character from scratch. I wanna look different from anyone else. I always wanted to play as my pink haired OC that I created lol

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
It's very unlikely, but it would be nice if customization features included changing facial characteristics, like the shape of the nose, cheeks, brow, chin and lips. That or at least some characteristic that makes the character look older. It would be nice if we could explore the pokemon world as adults instead of children.

I hope for more hair styles, facial hair styles, and way more clothing choices

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It's very unlikely, but it would be nice if customization features included changing facial characteristics, like the shape of the nose, cheeks, brow, chin and lips. That or at least some characteristic that makes the character look older. It would be nice if we could explore the pokemon world as adults instead of children.

It would be great if we got Mii-like customisation options for characters in the game, or even let Miis as playable characters in-game and players can customise them. Changing the height of the player would be pretty fun too.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK

I like this idea. Reminds me of bitmoji on Snapchat. I really like how you can customize your bitmoji in so many ways. I want to be able to customize my character as soon as we answer if we’re a boy or a girl.

Luthor

I think one thing the games should have for customisation is the ability to dress for all weathers. The Alola games had you basically only dress for hot weather which seemed very odd when you would end up climbing a snow-covered mountain dressed like you are going to the beach.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I think one thing the games should have for customisation is the ability to dress for all weathers. The Alola games had you basically only dress for hot weather which seemed very odd when you would end up climbing a snow-covered mountain dressed like you are going to the beach.

I'd really like this. I'd also like to expand on it so that your character changes expressions if their dress does not suit the weather, like a frown if they're not wearing a raincoat in the rain, them shivering if they're wearing summer clothing while going to a snow-covered, them sweating and fanning themselves if they're wearing winter clothing at the beach, etcetera.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'd really like this. I'd also like to expand on it so that your character changes expressions if their dress does not suit the weather, like a frown if they're not wearing a raincoat in the rain, them shivering if they're wearing summer clothing while going to a snow-covered, them sweating and fanning themselves if they're wearing winter clothing at the beach, etcetera.
Maybe that could cause the player to be unable to go into certain areas because of their clothing, meaning that certain clothing is required to complete the game. Like that the player is unable to go into snowy areas because they're not wearing jackets and thick clothing. Maybe there could be more change rooms in the game to cater for it. Or at times the player is slowed down because of it.

OmegaElectivire

Sinnoh Trainer
Maybe that could cause the player to be unable to go into certain areas because of their clothing, meaning that certain clothing is required to complete the game. Like that the player is unable to go into snowy areas because they're not wearing jackets and thick clothing. Maybe there could be more change rooms in the game to cater for it. Or at times the player is slowed down because of it.
That's an interesting concept, for sure. I think it might end up as frustrating as HM's were, though. I think it'd be funny to see other characters reacting funnily to your clothing choice, to add onto what was said about your character reacting.
We should be able to have fancier clothes if we want, maybe even a suit. I want a great time in this new game, no matter how ridiculous.
Also, I'm 6'2", so I'd like to be able to choose to be tall.

Nockturne

I want the hairdresser to have a preview of the styles rather than having to guess based on the name, or cycle through getting them all to find a favourite. Also un-natural hair colours please, for a series where so many of its major characters have vibrant non-naturally occurring hair colours the player choices always seemed so pedestrian to me.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
That's an interesting concept, for sure. I think it might end up as frustrating as HM's were, though. I think it'd be funny to see other characters reacting funnily to your clothing choice, to add onto what was said about your character reacting.
We should be able to have fancier clothes if we want, maybe even a suit. I want a great time in this new game, no matter how ridiculous.
Also, I'm 6'2", so I'd like to be able to choose to be tall.
Well it depends though. I think it would be better if characters were able to dress up for the sake of a cutscene but as long as the player gets to keep the outfits used for the cutscene, I'll be fine.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I think we’re more likely to get this if the next game has seasons.

And although I understand your hot weather clothing on a snowy mountain statement, it was only that one instant. The weather otherwise has been at least warm.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
I want the hairdresser to have a preview of the styles rather than having to guess based on the name, or cycle through getting them all to find a favourite. Also un-natural hair colours please, for a series where so many of its major characters have vibrant non-naturally occurring hair colours the player choices always seemed so pedestrian to me.

Yes, please. I hate not being able to see what I get. And there's no hint or guide to what you are getting either. Not everyone knows what a hairstyle looks like just by the name GF. Just give us a preview like everybody else does.

I'd also like to see more of a variety of haircuts, a change of body type other than skin color, and more accessories. I want glasses that don't take up more than half my face. Something a little bit more sleeker if you know what I mean? I want more, bows and special hats that don't end up needing a huge requirement to get.

Luthor

I think we’re more likely to get this if the next game has seasons.

And although I understand your hot weather clothing on a snowy mountain statement, it was only that one instant. The weather otherwise has been at least warm.

For me, that's definitely an still enough excuse to at least have full-length trousers as an option.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I don't think that's going to happen. Forcing customization onto players would incur the same response as to HMs.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I don't think that's going to happen. Forcing customization onto players would incur the same response as to HMs.
One region tends to have its own set of lineup like that you won’t expect winter coats to be sold in Alola (except for Mount Lanakila). That’s what having a certain lineup of clothing is for, which is mostly influenced by the climate of the region and its culture. Pretty much a lot of regions have multiple biomes, especially the later regions, the player could be set to automatically switch clothing depending on the biome.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.

I doubt it would be as much of a problem, clothes aren't gonna take up a move slot are they?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I doubt it would be as much of a problem, clothes aren't gonna take up a move slot are they?
Not everyone is interested in trainer customization. Also, forcing customization goes against the very purpose of the feature, which is to design your character to your interests.