• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Character Customization Discussion Thread

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I don't think so. You can see that the characters do change their clothes in certain parts of the trailers such as for the football game. It's too early to say that. They even kept it in LGPE so I'm safely assured they wouldn't get rid of one of their most popular features.

Exactly. We didn't even see a skin tone change for the characters until MONTHS later. It's way too early to call that on the first trailer. When more gameplay comes out then I'll decide it.
I think that the football uniform will be just for that area and you can't wear it anywhere else, like the contest outfits in ORAS.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I think that the football uniform will be just for that area and you can't wear it anywhere else, like the contest outfits in ORAS.

Well that's likely a given I mean you can't run around in Rider clothing all the time in SM/USM. Unless you just never get off Mudsdale/Tauros

I see no reason why customization would be taken out, it was even in LGPE when it was (stupidly, hate Ruby's hat) completely absent in ORAS

Kikas123

What 'bout My Star?
Well that's likely a given I mean you can't run around in Rider clothing all the time in SM/USM. Unless you just never get off Mudsdale/Tauros

I see no reason why customization would be taken out, it was even in LGPE when it was (stupidly, hate Ruby's hat) completely absent in ORAS
Given that 3/4 of the prior games have had character customozation, I doubt its gone.

Honestly, I can't wait to see if we get highstreet fashion like in X/Y. I loved the midi skirts and longer coats available compared to the Hawaiin clothes from S/M. The default sweater is a great start.

xEryChan

Demon Child
Sadly, it appears that character customization has been removed.

What makes you think that? I highly doubt they would get rid of character customization, seeing as how so many people raved about it

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
There's no way they'll take away character customization at this point, it'd be a major step backward.
They already took away following Pokemon and overworld encounters, it's not unprecedented.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
They already took away following Pokemon and overworld encounters, it's not unprecedented.
Yes, it's technically possible that customization is absent. We just need to wait longer before we assume it's gone. If we arrive in August/September and we still haven't seen the player characters wearing any different clothes, then we can start to worry.

.Aerodactyl.

Can I just say that I love the new trainer models and even their base outfits? Hope the hats are available for both genders. AND THE GIRL HAS A BACKPACK. Oh finally!!!! I hate traversing the region with a purse XD. Seriously, I could do nothing but love her when I saw that. It makes me wonder if more options will be cross gendered, like shoes, hats and bags being the same for both? Perhaps even haircuts???

Personally, I think it's safe to assume Customization is back and will be better. Real question is by how much? I'm glad to be out of a tropical region, SUMO had way more clothes than XY but not a lot of styles, so it felt boring. We did get more hair cuts though, more hair colours, eyewear options, removable hats, jewelry...

My safe prediction is that all the basics from SUMO return, we will have more hairstyle options, boys might even get bangs or the hair options will be the same for both, and even more hair colors to include ones like green, pink, etc. Some options won't be available until post game. We might get an additional layering option like "jacket", they'll be even more clothing available than SUMO and these will actually feel like way more because there will be way more styles to choose from besides tropical wear.

I really think we are going to se a merging of certain base clothing for the genders (hair/hair cuts, hats, bags, shoes) just because it both simplifies the work for them but also makes it feel like they did more.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I want character customization to return aswell because it helps make each player unique. I HOPE they dont make the same mistake as SM/USUM did by making certain colors version exclusive or hide it behind some convuluted mode to dye it.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
There were trailers for both of those games that included showing off customization, but it wasn't present in the reveal trailers, they came later.

Akashin

Something not being unprecedented and something being possible based upon its absence from an initial reveal trailer that it had no purpose being highlighted in are two entirely different things.

Customization, like many things we can safely assume the games have that we simply have yet to see, is something they have the next eight and a half to nine months to show off.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I expect the customization to go beyond X and Y's wide variety of cool apparels (especially for girls), with outfits for all types of weather conditions, styles, genres, etc., while retaining the soft steampunk aesthetic for some of the clothing pieces. I also want as much if not more choices of hairstyles than Sun and Moon had.
Worst case scenario I still love the protagonists' basic outfits, so I'm not worried about how my character will present herself!