• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Character Customization Discussion Thread

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer
I promise I won't beat this horse into a pulp, but again, GameFreak's inability to deliver a comprehensive "feature-perfect" game continues to baffle me. How difficult is it to give a robust character customization function to these games? Plenty of titles delivering games on scales greatly in excess of Pokemon have done it well. I think it will obviously return, that point is not what interests me. The scale and care put into character customization is interesting. I will be very disappointed if the first console version of Pokemon does not outshine all other titles in terms of options.

Why would they fail to deliver on this front?

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
I'm hoping for lots of hoodies and coats given the UK's climate. Maybe onc can be based on Scraggy and Scrafty's shed skin? I'd buy those in a heartbeat tbh.

Lol way too soon to say. When SM got it's big reveal in May, we had no sign that customization was returning.
Yep, iirc some people were even concernced customization wasn't coming back. Initial trailers are just there to provide a quick look at the protagonist, starters and regions. We'll probably see different outfits around E3 or so.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Sadly, it appears that character customization has been removed.
Even GameFreak logic wouldn't remove customization from a high-class UK region, if it was literally present in Alola (Hawaii), and it is too early to assume lack of the feature. I can't imagine traveling the region without my Burberry coat, lol.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
If you go and watch GameXplain's video breaking down the reveal trailer and pause the video at, say 5:33, there are two buildings which they believe to be shops. The one on the right looks like a clothes shop with mannequins displayed in the window.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Why is this even in question? Is it because OR AS took it out?

Sulfurian

Definitely less version exclusive outfits. I'm fine with unlocking items via battle maison/elite four or whatever but it's not like I can trade my clothes online so if I want a certain design and I got the wrong version oh well.

Also keep doin creative designs like that shiny houndoom was awesome for example. I prefer designs on my clothes not just red, black, and blue shirts for example.

Sawsbuck

Eeveelution trainer
They already took away following Pokemon and overworld encounters, it's not unprecedented.
I wouldn't necessarily say that those things are in fact removed, as stated previously this was an initial release trailer in order to let us know; a) the region, b) the starters, c) what the region looks like and what we can expect.
There's nothing stopping them from applying a "Happiness" requirement for Pokemon to follow us, they can't remove that feature since quite a few Pokemon need it to evolve so I'd say its a fair chance that certain Pokemon will follow us, I just don't know if or when.

Mudster

Master of the Legend
As long as I can customise the colours of the kit and number on the shirt in the sports stadium (or wear it all the time), I'll be happy. Royal blue shirt, white shorts, red socks - just so I can re-create my team (Portsmouth) from real life to the Pokémon world. I do want to see more tartan and hopefully different patterns of tartan and not just one generic one.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
The main thing I want is to see them completely scrap the idea of version exclusive clothing. It was easily one of their worst decisions in Gen7 even if it was just colours.

As for fashions I’d like to see some more coats like the Trench Coats in XY and a lot more clothes for different seasons, maybe even some raincoats because it rains a lot in the UK, and some tartan patterned clothing to represent Scotland. It’d also be cool to be able to dye clothing whenever we wanted and be able to dye more than one colour per piece. It was a nice idea in Gen7 but they stupidly restricted it to the Festival Plaza which made it completely worthless for me.

I’d also like to see more natural and non-natural hair colour options. They were on the right track with the wine red colour which looked kind of purple but they removed the ginger colour which made no sense as it’s a natural colour. A colour slider for hair is what I’m mainly hoping for but I don’t see it happening. Would be interesting to see how crazy people would be with their customisations if they had complete control of colours.

SoulRebel726

The main thing I want is to see them completely scrap the idea of version exclusive clothing. It was easily one of their worst decisions in Gen7 even if it was just colours.

As for fashions I’d like to see some more coats like the Trench Coats in XY and a lot more clothes for different seasons, maybe even some raincoats because it rains a lot in the UK, and some tartan patterned clothing to represent Scotland. It’d also be cool to be able to dye clothing whenever we wanted and be able to dye more than one colour per piece. It was a nice idea in Gen7 but they stupidly restricted it to the Festival Plaza which made it completely worthless for me.

I’d also like to see more natural and non-natural hair colour options. They were on the right track with the wine red colour which looked kind of purple but they removed the ginger colour which made no sense as it’s a natural colour. A colour slider for hair is what I’m mainly hoping for but I don’t see it happening. Would be interesting to see how crazy people would be with their customisations if they had complete control of colours.

Agreed. They need to not lock basic customization stuff like dying clothes behind a weird social platform this time. I also hated the version exclusive clothes/colors. I really would like to not spoil ever detail of these games before I play them, but now I need to make sure I look up clothing options in each game beforehand? Come on, Game Freak. Let me pick my version based on the Pokemon, not based on which colored shirts I can wear.

There's really no reason not to go wild here. Let people get as nuts as they want, regardless of version. And give us a wider range of options outside of shorts and t-shirts.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'd like dresses, make-up, maybe some jewelry. Capes, gloves, the ability to adjust pigtail/ponytail size. Oh and a bunch of different pajamas for those of us that want to be a little silly.