• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Character Discussion: Machamp

S

SerebiiBot

machamp.png

http://www.serebii.net/pokken/characters/machamp.shtml

Rakurai

Machamp looks the closest to a traditional grappler, having rather poor combos in exchange for a few moves that are extremely powerful on their own (Any of his Pokemon moves while under the effects of Focus Energy).

I have trouble imagining him excelling in top level play with how hard it is for him to approach, though. Characters like Gardevoir and Chandelure with a strong ranged game seem like they wouldn't have any trouble keeping him out forever.

phanpycross

God-king
Machamp looks the closest to a traditional grappler, having rather poor combos in exchange for a few moves that are extremely powerful on their own (Any of his Pokemon moves while under the effects of Focus Energy).

I have trouble imagining him excelling in top level play with how hard it is for him to approach, though. Characters like Gardevoir and Chandelure with a strong ranged game seem like they wouldn't have any trouble keeping him out forever.
From all the footage Ive seen, he does come across a little weak, and being a grappler in general does seem incredibly hard in this game; everybody looks soo speedy.

Im hoping they add a kind of rush-down grappler to the game(Heracross or scizor please), althrough that might be a little too strong.

Rakurai

At very least he doesn't need to do 360 motions for his grabs like most grapplers.

He can also dash cancel his counterattack in order to power through projectiles, but projectile negation is another trait grapplers frequently have, and it seldom prevents them from being low to bottom tier.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Didn't a Machamp get to the finals of that NicoNico or whatever tournament awhile back? It can't be that bad.

Rakurai

Gengar is probably one of the characters Machamp has an easier time with as it's forced to move into his comfort zone if it wants to deal any meaningful amounts of damage.

It's also worth noting that Machamp got nerfed in several ways in the aftermath of that tournament, possibly as a knee-jerk reaction to that player's performance.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Speaking of performance, this game finally represents his manliness and its ACTUAL pokedex entru that it land 1000 punches in a few seconds. If you see his burst move, he lands 1000 hits. Very awesome to see for such a manly pokemon in here. Honestly, I can't help but see this guy as the real Poster boy of this series. Not Lucario nor Pikachu or Libre.

But what catches my eye is that he has a buffing move that makes him hit like a truck so fast.

Wrave

Machamp hits like a truck but has issues with characters like Braxien and Chandelure. Definitely your typical grappler character. Just wish he had a tad bit more speed.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Gengar is probably one of the characters Machamp has an easier time with as it's forced to move into his comfort zone if it wants to deal any meaningful amounts of damage.

It's also worth noting that Machamp got nerfed in several ways in the aftermath of that tournament, possibly as a knee-jerk reaction to that player's performance.

Can you give me a link to that fight? I wanna watch it. So,, before the nerf, this macho mon just 2-3 hit Ko's anyone at all. Right?

Rakurai

Machamp can still KO in two or three moves if buffs/debuffs, Burst Mode and/or critical hits are in play.

After watching more Machamp vs. Gengar, though, the match-up is actually really terrible if the latter opts to just zone instead of trying to get close. You practically need disruptive assists like Emolga to get in on a zoner if they play smart.

Focus Energy + Karate Chop seems like his main way of getting on zoners, as it covers a huge amount of ground extremely quickly and powers through destroyable projectiles. Simply having it ready can intimidate your opponent into not spamming their projectiles as it can punish an awful lot of them on reaction if you're close enough.

Last edited:

B€ntley

Roll the Ice Dice
Anyone using Machamp? I'm going to pick him up and I'd like to know some viable stratégies to mix up my game.