• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Character Discussion & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Beast Lover

He isn't really a ringleader though. As far as I'm aware, his trainer class didn't have "leader" in it (unless I've forgotten) and the others are not stated to be below him in rank. They were indeed gathered by him, but that doesn't shift their rank.

I checked, it doesn't say he's the leader but it does say, "Team Rainbow Rocket Giovanni wants a battle". We haven't seen any other grunts from the other teams so it seems like Giovanni might be leading

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Official press info said it.

"The boss of Team Rainbow Rocket is none other than Giovanni, who was also the boss of the villainous organization known as Team Rocket in Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue, the first games in the Pokemon series.

But that’s not the worst of it—Giovanni has gathered into one group the bosses from the various past games in the Pokemon series! You and your allies will have to square off against what might be your greatest challenge yet!"

But yeah, I agree that while he has the most prominent role, I don't think the other bosses would be treated as underlings.

Orphalesion

Yeah it's really weird, Giovanni is easily one of the less powerful and threatening of the bunch. He's a criminal, while some of the others aimed for universal domination/annihilation. That's simply two different levels here.

Even with Maxie and Archie... I'd say they are eco-terrorists, why would those two listen to a Yakuza boss. Outstanding debts?

If it is really true that those other leaders originate from universes where they succeeded in their plans, it's even weirder. WHy'd they follow him to some corner of the Multiverse to battle children in Alola?

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Giovanni being the boss could be easily explained if, he managed to succeed in one universe and captured Mewtwo, then seeks to expand by going to other universes, where the other villains haven't reached their goal yet, but with the help of Giovanni and Mewtwo, they succeed, and in agreement to help them, they must join his new organisation, Team Rainbow Rocket.

That's a pretty simple explanation as to why they are all here, it would be a cool twist if we discover that each of them is planning to dethrone him and become the boss themselves, but you stop them before they have a chance.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
General assumption is that Giovanni is the only one with the charisma and organization skills of the villains, and the only one who can play the villains against each other to keep power.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Giovanni being the boss could be easily explained if, he managed to succeed in one universe and captured Mewtwo, then seeks to expand by going to other universes, where the other villains haven't reached their goal yet, but with the help of Giovanni and Mewtwo, they succeed, and in agreement to help them, they must join his new organisation, Team Rainbow Rocket.

Agreed. That's the case most likely.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Interesting that they chose RS Maxie and Archie. I like this. Purely speculative, but I think it may have to do with the more open ended nature of the original games. ORAS Magma and Aqua decidedly turn over a new leaf after you stop the Primals, with this big, long cutscene about becoming better people. They're basically your friends by the end of the game, and characterized to be more sympathetic. In Emerald, we find them returning the Orbs on Mt. Pyre after Rayquaza shuts them down. Again indicating that they're giving up they're plans. We don't exactly know what happened to them after RS...

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I just realized that we do have allies that can assist the PC with Rainbow Rocket

Giovanni - obviously Red and Blue
Archie and Maxie - Wally is in Alola
Cyrus - Cynthia is also in Alola
Ghetsis - Got me here. Maybe Colress?
Lysandre - Sina and Dexio

R_N

I just realized that we do have allies that can assist the PC with Rainbow Rocket

Also one would think (especially if wormholes are involved) that Looker & Anabel (& Nanu) would be involved. I really hope they get involved in this, but them not being in the key art is a bit odd.

future.newyorker

Grimsley for Ghetsis.

Ultra Beast Lover

Anything to be able to fight alongside senpai-I mean Cynthia. I always liked hanging out in her villa back in Gen 5.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

I'd love it if they brought back Sina and Dexio's super hero personalities. They seemed dull without them.
Cynthia coming back is ALWAYS welcome.
Red, no. Actual characters pls. I really don't get why people like Red coming back all he does is "......." If Blue came back with no Red, I'd be more hyped.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
I'm probably way off base on this, but given Lillie's going to be part of the TRR stuff, I'm wondering if Hau will actually be the one leaving for Kanto this time around. He did mention in SM that that's where his dad is. Maybe the USUM version of Hau wants to find him?

Ultra Beast Lover

I'm probably way off base on this, but given Lillie's going to be part of the TRR stuff, I'm wondering if Hau will actually be the one leaving for Kanto this time around. He did mention in SM that that's where his dad is. Maybe the USUM version of Hau wants to find him?

I'd honestly be fine with it if Hau left, I like Hau but I want to see what the reversed roles would be like

future.newyorker

Speaking of Hau, in one of the trailers from Thursday, it shows you battling Hau and he has a Popplio and two other Pokémon, now we know when you battle him at Paniola Ranch in USUM, his starter has evolved and he has four Pokémon total, so I believe we will be facing him another time that wasn’t in SM.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Speaking of Hau, in one of the trailers from Thursday, it shows you battling Hau and he has a Popplio and two other Pokémon, now we know when you battle him at Paniola Ranch in USUM, his starter has evolved and he has four Pokémon total, so I believe we will be facing him another time that wasn’t in SM.

Couldn't that just be the battle you have with him after fetching Nebby in Melemele Meadow?

RedJirachi

Veteran member

N would probably want to help out with Ghetsis. It's personal for him

Status
Not open for further replies.