• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Character Discussion & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
I'm honestly most excited for Lilly holding a Pokeball!

I just thought of a point that isn't for Lillie or the new people, but for the trial captains.

With Kahili doing the Flying Z-move in that trailer and Ryuki showing up, I'm confident that trials are returning, but at least one or two captains are being replaced with either Kahili, Ryuki or both.

Since there is what looks like a golf course on Akala Island, I'd say it's just about a definite that Kahili would be a new trial captain on Akala, probably replacing one of the Akala captains. Thing is, every Akala captain from SM has a motive to drop their role - Mallow has to run her cafe, Lana has sisters to look after and Kiawe has a dancing goal to follow. I couldn't really say which one of them would probably be replaced, but I'd assume the captain that does get replaced would either show up for a different purpose outside of battle or become an Elite Four member.

As for Ryuki, it is of course possible that he doesn't become a captain, but the Dragon trial in SM plus Kommo-o's exclusive Z-move suggest to me that the trial will hold a little more for us this time, possibly with even a new captain. Since Mina never actually ran a trial in SM I don't think she'd be replaced whatsoever, so one of the trials on a different island would probably be removed so that there could be a Dragon trial on Poni and a Fairy trial on either Poni too or elsewhere. I'd be confident in saying that the Ghost trial could be removed if Acerola decides to keep her role as an Elite Four member this time around, but I don't think the Fairy trial would be on Ula Ula. Instead, I'd set the Fairy trial on Melemele Island, possibly in Melemele Meadow or somewhere near - especially since it's a place involving flowers, something Mina mentioned as a part of what she wanted for her trial, the signature location of Cutiefly aka one of the poster Fairy types for this generation and possibly Mina's signature Pokemon, and the same Island as where Ilima does his trial, with Ilima being a confirmed friend of Mina. I know that in one of the pre-release screenshots we have the same Melemele Meadow scene with Lillie, but the Meadow could still be expanded upon in USUM to contain a trial area. Plus, the other meadows of the region don't make much sense as trial places to me - Akala doesn't have a meadow (plus it already has three trials), Ula Ula's meadow leads to the Lake of the Moone/Sunne which seems way too close to an important area (I know the SM Dragon trial was next to the Altar but I wouldn't imagine the Fairy trial to be the final one) and the Poni Meadow leads to Resolution Cave, which seems like just an odd place to put a trial - especially when the cave is laid out as though a legendary could be encountered there. Plus, the Melemele Meadow leads to that cave I've forgotten the name of, which in turn leads to Kala'e Bay. It'd be nice to see that Cave and Bay used as part of a fairy trial - maybe the cave is full of flowers now and Kala'e Bay has a small platform where you encounter the trial Pokemon.

Oooor maybe the Fairy trial just is the ghost trial with Mimikyu remaining as the totem, but the trial itself is more Fairy-themed than Ghost-themed. Idk, I'm just rambling at this point.

Hasty

Moonside
Obscured by the water left of Primarina's nose.
My eyes could be deceiving me.

Pretty sure that's just a bulkier shape of the arm part on the gear the character is wearing.

--
Is anyone else seeing this shape of a scary Japanese-style mask on the small character? The round eyes that stick out, and the dents?

Here, I tried to make it out vaguely... and badly. :p
oTYCPJu.png
mpwxoWaCLmy9k6gFl-GX95A.jpg

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
I wonder if Lillie actually joins in a battle or two in USUM since she holds a Pokeball. Ofc, for plot reasons she cannot be a rival but I would really like to see her assist the PC in a few double battles.

.Aerodactyl.

I just had a thought about trainer Lillie...what if that's actually Sumo Lillie returned from Kanto and crossing dimensions to help us with Necrozma? Maybe we get "doubles" of a few Characters.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
I just had a thought about trainer Lillie...what if that's actually Sumo Lillie returned from Kanto and crossing dimensions to help us with Necrozma? Maybe we get "doubles" of a few Characters.

I think it's better to not mess with the multiverse...

Ultra Beast Lover

Pretty sure that's just a bulkier shape of the arm part on the gear the character is wearing.

--
Is anyone else seeing this shape of a scary Japanese-style mask on the small character? The round eyes that stick out, and the dents?

Here, I tried to make it out vaguely... and badly. :p
oTYCPJu.png
mpwxoWaCLmy9k6gFl-GX95A.jpg

Oh good thought I was the only one seeing eyes. Maybe that's what they were going for?

XY&Z Legend

Just chillin
I wonder if Lillie actually joins in a battle or two in USUM since she holds a Pokeball. Ofc, for plot reasons she cannot be a rival but I would really like to see her assist the PC in a few double battles.

Considering how hyped Lillie's appearance is in USUM, it would be a wasted opportunity for Gamefreak not to have Lillie fight alongside you as a trainer. What I'm more interested about is whether returning characters like the kahunas or alumnis (Red, Cynthia, etc.) will play an important role in the battle against the dimensional invaders.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'm not trying to mock or put anyone down here, but I find it interesting that people always seemed to complain about how characters in Pokemon never get any character development, but then when we get a character who goes through a true character arc, everyone seems to hate her. I just don't get it.

Oh how I would love that as well, though sadly, with how prominent Lillie looks in the poster, I can just feel it now that there'll be even more Lillie in USM.

What don't you like about her, specifically? For all you know they might do what you wanted the series to do with her.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I'm not trying to mock or put anyone down here, but I find it interesting that people always seemed to complain about how characters in Pokemon never get any character development, but then when we get a character who goes through a true character arc, everyone seems to hate her. I just don't get it.

I don't know where you're getting majority from. It's only a handful of people who dislike Lillie, but majority do love her. I personally give Gamefreak credit for trying to give a character a true character arc, and I liked how Lillie from being someone who was ordered and bossed around by her mother was finally able to find the strength to stand up to her, but I hated how it was done. I personally found most of the moments and cutscenes here and there with Lillie to be very unnecessary and just made the gameplay feel like a chore at times.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu

Maybe some people wanted Lillie to be more battle-spirited instead of appearing with Nebby all the time with the repeated "Nebby, get in the bag" meme and saying that she dislike battles plus her unskippable cutscenes. Personally, I liked Lillie's character development overall placing her as one of my favourite characters from the Pokémon games and my main problems with SM were the prologue and the postgame content. I don't mind going through her arc once again.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Maybe some people wanted Lillie to be more battle-spirited instead of appearing with Nebby all the time with the repeated "Nebby, get in the bag" meme and saying that she dislike battles plus her unskippable cutscenes. Personally, I liked Lillie's character development overall placing her as one of my favourite characters from the Pokémon games and my main problems with SM were the prologue and the postgame content. I don't mind going through her arc once again.

Not even that, in fact, even if it's a meme now, I was still fine with Lillie while she was still aimlessly going around with Nebby. She appeared once in a while, and that's fine. What I disliked was after she became her Z Powered form. She kept repeating the same things and with cutscenes I found were regular and aimless. It really made the gameplay feel like a chore. I also wouldn't mind seeing her story arc again, but I just hope it's done better, with reduced stoppage and cutscenes here and there.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Id like less talking in the beginning by everyone, not just Lillie. Let me get my pokemon and pokedex and then you can talk to me about **** i dont care about :). Tutorials like the rotom camera should be completely optional as well. SM is the worst game to start over. That and give me back more freedom to explore without being stopped by tauros. Just have characters not start the next part of the story, but let me go see what pokemon are there.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Id like less talking in the beginning by everyone, not just Lillie. Let me get my pokemon and pokedex and then you can talk to me about **** i dont care about :). Tutorials like the rotom camera should be completely optional as well. SM is the worst game to start over. That and give me back more freedom to explore without being stopped by tauros. Just have characters not start the next part of the story, but let me go see what pokemon are there.

Yeah, this too. I know I mentioned Lillie for the later part of the game with her stupid cutscenes, but the beginning is atrocious. It's a pain to start the game, and takes ages to get your starter. Basically until you reach Verdant Cavern for the first trial, the whole Melemele Island is a full tutorial. While cutscenes during major parts of the story are fine, and makes the game feel more alive, majority of the cutscenes are just pointless and take away from the fun of gameplay. Just hope all this is reduced in USM.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
I agree with toning down the tutorial cutscenes considerably (maybe an option to skip tutorial battles, please). I can even provide a positive example of streamlining tutorials for 3DS RPGs. Look at the Mario & Luigi series. Dream Team was horrible with its drawn-out tutorials that bogged down the first several hours of gameplay and even kept up into the late game. Then Paper Jam came along and made most of them optional and accessible from the bottom screen at the appropriate times. I don't see why Game Freak can't do something similar. And at the same time, I feel like Lillie's hatedom would die down a little bit if she didn't spend a significant portion of the 1st and 2nd islands helping with tutorials and did something different instead. That's probably asking too much for a 3rd version game, though.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I agree with toning down the tutorial cutscenes considerably (maybe an option to skip tutorial battles, please). I can even provide a positive example of streamlining tutorials for 3DS RPGs. Look at the Mario & Luigi series. Dream Team was horrible with its drawn-out tutorials that bogged down the first several hours of gameplay and even kept up into the late game. Then Paper Jam came along and made most of them optional and accessible from the bottom screen at the appropriate times. I don't see why Game Freak can't do something similar. And at the same time, I feel like Lillie's hatedom would die down a little bit if she didn't spend a significant portion of the 1st and 2nd islands helping with tutorials and did something different instead. That's probably asking too much for a 3rd version game, though.

at the same time, I wonder if gamefreak knows that a lot of people who are buying USUM will have played SM.. making the tutorials moot if they're the exact same.. Do they think about that at all? I'm sure they would... Playing what is gamefreak thinking is too hard :p

Status
Not open for further replies.