• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Character Discussion & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

future.newyorker

The hardest battle I ever had in SM was against the Ilima on the docks of Hau'oli City. I don't know why, but his Smeargle wrecked my Rowlett and Rattata tims after time. If all of the battles were that difficult, it would have been an even more amazing game, and I hope USUM live up to this as well.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'd kinda like it if these guys were people from Ultra Space that were simply trying to look for some of their Ultra Beasts. It'd give us insight on how the UBs think.

Sabre_King

My biggest takeaways from the poster are the mysterious hidden characters which I hope are possibly a new organization in the game or maybe a separate group apart of the Aether Foundation. While also Lillie holding a pokeball seems rather interesting. So far I can only imagine alolan ninetales being present on her team. I hope she eventually becomes a trainer either in the battle tree (or battle tree equivalence) or a champion challenger.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
As I think more about these people, the more I want them to be people who have had no previous connection to Aether, Galactic or anyone like that. These are the ideas that appeal the most to me:

Ultra Space citizens. I'm assuming as of right now that they're wearing masks, but it could be possible that they're not masks and that they really do look very different from humans. I'm not sure why they'd be relevant enough to be on the poster if they'd only show up in Ultra Space, so if this train of thought is true then I'd probably expect some of the people to have fallen through the wormhole and, similar to the UBs, want to get home. Maybe they wouldn't harm a Faller as such, but rather simply be drawn to them.

Fallers. Since this idea was touched on in SM but never fully explored, I'd love it if these people were from a different universe and were trying to find a way home while making a living in this universe. They'd be characters with multiple dynamics - their job they've taken up in the new universe, their background before getting lost in a wormhole and how they've been trying to get back.

People looking for the UBs. Whether it be for protection or capture, I think it'd be fascinating to see a smaller organisation that works for the same destination as what Lusamine wanted, but with a completely different goal in mind. As protectors they may be what Lusamine claimed to want but inevitably became something much darker, and as capturers they could be more akin to the main protagonist in what they desire.

I really like these ideas, actually. Mainly because I'd love to see a group of seemingly-ambiguous characters who aren't linked to some major regional organization in any way. Plus, that would be relatively new territory for Game Freak since characters they tend to introduce in 3rd versions and remakes that are always tied to a group in some way (e.g. Colress is actually Team Plasma, Zinnia works with Team Aqua/Magma before ditching them, etc). Just based on that, I feel like these guys will be Aether Foundation (or, if there really are Ultra Space equivalents of humans, they are Ultra Space's Aether Foundation). So, if they are going to be Aether Foundation, I think it would be cool to, say, tie them into the Beast Killer project. Maybe they were part of the team Faba led to develop Type: Full, and one the project fell through and got shut down they decided to take the beast-killing matter into their own hands?

R_N

So long as she isn't weak like Hau. Hau was just annoying how weak he was, my Incineroar alone swept his team. XY overdid it with how pathetic the rivals were apart from Serena, where they ended up just being a nuisance instead of a challenge. I hope somebody is actually using the starter with the advantage to your team this time.

And I'd so love it if Faba turned out to be a genuine villain this time... I knew Aether Foundation would be the true villains from the start back in SM when they got revealed, but Faba's appearance just gave the creepy vibes like he was pulling strings.from the shadows.
And please, no people aligned with the villains who never battle you this time. Looking at you Wicke! I hope every person up at the top is a battleable villain.

Lillie using the other starter would be great. Even if the team isn't amazing it'd be fun to see her grab the starter to jump start her plans. Maybe fight her at the end when she goes to Kanto and up to that point she just assists you.

I think Faba being a theoretically brilliant but in actuality a blowhard worked out nicely. It makes the stuff he was responsible for kind of worse? Like he's the reason the Type Null experiment happened from conception to failure iirc, and experimenting on Cosmog. There's something appealing about incompetence leading to evil. It'd be kind of great if he was responsible for waking up Necorzma through some stupid plan to "help"Lusamine (by which I mean, more brownnosing)

I liked that Wicke was good because her being evil would have been the most obvious thing. Literally everyone was making Wicked jokes so the end result being she's an actual good woman who hopes that things can work out and aether's dark history redeemed was nice. Charon, who absolutely should have been fightable in Platinum, she is not.

Born Better

God of Lightning
Seeing as how Lillie is in her late game outfit and has a pokeball, I wonder if this could be a Delta Episode style post game story with some sort of time skip.

.Aerodactyl.

So, as has been noted earlier one of the unidentified Characters on the poster seems to be sporting a braid (visible in the blown up images that have been played with to bring them out more). Some people have been wondering if it might be Lillie, but looking at it, the braid seems to match the female protagonist braid more than Lillie. What if it's US in that uniform and it's some kind of suit we wear for an extended Ultra Space?

EDIT: I should add I realize this theory is kinda ridiculous and a stretch based on an unclear image that may or may not be a braid. I just find the idea of going into ultra space more prepared (i.e. suited up) and possibly extended really exciting!

Last edited:
Or they could be the antagonistic team that is after Necrozma. They could be what forces Necrozma to absorb Nebby.

Bored of the "all Pokemon are good it's the humans who make them bad" approach. I know the game does it less but the anime ruined the trope for me by overusing it to oblivion. It'd be interesting to see if Necrozma was a genuinely malicious Pokemon this time around.

I really like these ideas, actually. Mainly because I'd love to see a group of seemingly-ambiguous characters who aren't linked to some major regional organization in any way. Plus, that would be relatively new territory for Game Freak since characters they tend to introduce in 3rd versions and remakes that are always tied to a group in some way (e.g. Colress is actually Team Plasma, Zinnia works with Team Aqua/Magma before ditching them, etc). Just based on that, I feel like these guys will be Aether Foundation (or, if there really are Ultra Space equivalents of humans, they are Ultra Space's Aether Foundation). So, if they are going to be Aether Foundation, I think it would be cool to, say, tie them into the Beast Killer project. Maybe they were part of the team Faba led to develop Type: Full, and one the project fell through and got shut down they decided to take the beast-killing matter into their own hands?

Firstly, I agree on the whole new thing part. Stories can become really interesting if there's a small group of Neutral people all tied together by one purpose, who work either alongside or against the protagonist (or even both) as the story goes on. It can set up a lot of intrigue, and if the group turned out to be evil then it'd be something new in that most antagonists in the games always have an organisation behind them, whereas this would just be a group of lunatics. Any idea that makes them their own separate thing is really fascinating.

As for the whole beast-killer idea, I'd be up for it. While I'd somewhat prefer if this group was a brand new bunch, it still seems interesting for a group of people to attempt to carry out a purpose which their experiment had failed at, whether it be because they're deranged or simply stupid.

R_N

I doubt the poster for the game would use post game scenes.

ORAS had similar key art for its delta episode
800px-ORAS_Delta_Episode.png

Meanwhile it's not like they're hiding the game's main story beats (straight up showing cosmoem's entire deal on the main site) so why not focus on the new post-game episode?

I'd say the biggest thing against it would be the lack of Looker since I doubt they'd hide him (& Anabel) behind suits or something and if a post game episode involved ultra space there's no way he wouldn't be here.

-image snip-

Meanwhile it's not like they're hiding the game's main story beats (straight up showing cosmoem's entire deal on the main site) so why not focus on the new post-game episode?

I'd say the biggest thing against it would be the lack of Looker since I doubt they'd hide him (& Anabel) behind suits or something and if a post game episode involved ultra space there's no way he wouldn't be here.

It may have been promotional art, but it wasn't the promotional art for the whole game, and as far as I'm aware they didn't use the Delta Episode art for Japanese posters.

Ultra Beast Lover

Honestly I just hope that Lillie battles alongside us in Poni Canyon or at least follows us. Previously it just felt like we were meeting up with her at random and not having a journey with her.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Seeing Lillie in her trainer get-up, Poke Ball and all, really makes me wish these were proper sequels. I'd love to see a version of Lillie who was already done with a Pokemon journey, and had a full team of strong Kanto Mons (and maybe an Aloan Mon or two) at the ready.

Anyhoo, the inclusion of four new characters is interesting. Past third versions haven't usually added that many new antagonists. Yellow, Crystal, and Emerald didn't bolster the villain's numbers at all (unless you count Jesse & James in Yellow), and Platinum only added Charon. Even B2/W2, for all their differences, only really added Colress and redesigned the Grunts, so I really find this new batch of baddies interesting (even if this rough look at their designs has them looking slightly meh).

Hasty

Moonside
-image snip-

It may have been promotional art, but it wasn't the promotional art for the whole game, and as far as I'm aware they didn't use the Delta Episode art for Japanese posters.

This is true, this is actually promotional art for the whole game instead of just a part of it like ORAS, and that thankfully. I really hope these new characters are involved in the main story. Even if the first part of the story is the same with some changes and additions here and there, they should at least make the last 1/4 part of the story significantly different. These games aren't called "Ultra" for no reason; they should have all this Ultra Space stuff, new UBs, and new characters (that are obviously somehow linked to Ultra Space/Beasts) incorporated into the main story, much more than what SM did.

Last edited:

shadowF

The girl also seem to be holding a Pokemon doll, but I'm having a hard time trying to see which Pokemon it is.
Because it may lead to their possible type specialty, and possibly a new Pokemon/Form if it doesn't look like any.

Could you point out where in the picture it shows the girl holding a Pokemon doll? I cant seem to find it.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Could you point out where in the picture it shows the girl holding a Pokemon doll? I cant seem to find it.

Obscured by the water left of Primarina's nose.
My eyes could be deceiving me.

Status
Not open for further replies.