• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Character Discussion & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_N

Idk, it could be either. Maybe I'm just desperate for Ilima to keep his trial because it produced some of the funniest dialogue I've seen in a while. Well, it's either Lana or Ilima going out in place of Mina.

... oooorrr they all have trials? It did seem weird to me that Mina called herself a trial captain and was supposed to set up a trial, yet there were already seven trials. It's a possibility.

It's probably they can have more than 7 they just need to establish their trial. Mina never mentions replacing anyone.

shadowF

So it seems Hau still gets the weaker starter since it showed him with Torracat when talking to the female main character who had a Brionne. Hau does seem to have four pokemon in Paniola town so it seems he will be a harder opponent so that's cool! Also we got clearer pictures on the new characters so I wonder if we are able to crack who they will be.

The main boy player name is Ray apperantely
The corresponding girl name is Ailey, as seen by the Rockruff event OTs.
That said, I would put those names in the same category as Orlando/Anna, Xavier/Yvonne and several other names used in pre-release footage and then never seen again.

That said, I would put those names in the same category as Orlando/Anna, Xavier/Yvonne and several other names used in pre-release footage and then never seen again.

But then there's also Elio and Selene. Are all of those names considered non-canon, despite them referring to the same pair of characters? I'm beginning to feel awkward calling them Sun and Moon.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

Yeah, that's likely the case (though I do like Ray and Ailey). If I'm not mistaken, the names used in SuMo's code were just Sun and Moon, which makes those the canon names...maybe.

But then there's also Elio and Selene. Are all of those names considered non-canon, despite them referring to the same pair of characters? I'm beginning to feel awkward calling them Sun and Moon.

Most "canon" names are the names of the characters have when they're NPC's. Like Brendan, May, Ethan(HGSS), Lyra, Lucas, Dawn, Hilbert, Hilda, Calem and Serena's names all being seen somewhere when you play as the opposite gender. Red is a unique case when you see him as an NPC in GSC/HGSS, BW2 and SM instead of his original games.
Then you have the characters who don't appear at all in the games if you pick the opposite gender, Gold(GSC), Kris*, Leaf, Sun and Moon**, who usually do not have "canon" names.
*Kris has been referred to once by the name, on the back of the US box art of Crystal(Not sure about the English PAL box art).
**There was some Japanese merch for Moon in Japan a while ago, where she was called Mizuki(equivalent to Selene in the English promotional material).

Most "canon" names are the names of the characters have when they're NPC's. Like Brendan, May, Ethan(HGSS), Lyra, Lucas, Dawn, Hilbert, Hilda, Calem and Serena's names all being seen somewhere when you play as the opposite gender. Red is a unique case when you see him as an NPC in GSC/HGSS, BW2 and SM instead of his original games.
Then you have the characters who don't appear at all in the games if you pick the opposite gender, Gold(GSC), Kris*, Leaf, Sun and Moon**, who usually do not have "canon" names.
*Kris has been referred to once by the name, on the back of the US box art of Crystal(Not sure about the English PAL box art).
**There was some Japanese merch for Moon in Japan a while ago, where she was called Mizuki(equivalent to Selene in the English promotional material).

I guess. I did see some promotional material in a mini Nintendo catalogue a while back after SM's release where both of the protags were referred to as Elio and Selene, but Ray and Ailey make a little more sense considering the pattern of "have pre release names be connected to the game names but their actual names are just random".

Who knows, even if they're not the canon names, maybe people will use them anyway.

Thure

I guess. I did see some promotional material in a mini Nintendo catalogue a while back after SM's release where both of the protags were referred to as Elio and Selene, but Ray and Ailey make a little more sense considering the pattern of "have pre release names be connected to the game names but their actual names are just random".

Who knows, even if they're not the canon names, maybe people will use them anyway.

Ehem... Ray = Sunray = Sunbeam
Ailey is a form of Eileen which is a form of Helen which is most likely a reference to Helios. Or something else.
But they are not random.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Ailey is a form of Eileen which is a form of Helen which is most likely a reference to Helios. Or something else.
But they are not random.

Ailey seems to be an Irish take on the name Eileen, meaning "light, brightness".
These kids' name themes could be light (throwback to Dawn and Lucas) or the sun, with Ray being a play on sunrays and Ailey being a play on sunlight. It makes sense, considering moonlight is actually only sunlight, but reflected by the moon.

Aetius

Memebers of Aether Foundation or not, those guys are definitely bad news...
I suppose the ginger loli will have an upbeat personality, which however will probably hide a more sinister part of her persona.
As for the other people, well, they seem to be more serious about their work, especially the last one in the background, who seems to be strocking its moustaches, a gesture that could possibly make him pass as the group's leader.

Last edited:

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Memebers of Aether Foundation or not, those guys are definitely bad news...
I suppose the ginger loli will have an upbeat personality, which however will probably hide a more sinister part of its persona.
As for the other people, well, they seem to be more serious about their work, especially the last one in the background, who seems to be strocking its moustaches, a gesture that could possibly make him pass as the group's leader.

Can you link to the image that shows these? All I've seen is the photo of the poster from last week.

Ultra Beast Lover

Interesting, ok let's look at this. They're wearing masks, the small one and the blue haired one are smiling and the purple haired one is frowning. They also have what looks like the same visor. The purple haired one looks kinda like a robot.

But they are not random.

I didn't exactly mean like that, but they're less obvious than Elio and Selene imo.

Just the the HQ image of the new people on the poster. The tiny one is either ginger or pink-haired, it's unclear, but I can tell that the one standing directly next to it appears to have bluish-purplish short hair. This definitely confirms entirely new characters - even if Galactic did have a pink haired and blue haired person, both had entirely different body structures to the ones shown here, and it certainly doesn't match any Aether designs. It's still ambiguous as to what they're doing, but I'm liking the new parts of the designs I can now see regardless.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'm looking at this person with dark blue hair and I'm just like, "Wait, did Cyrus have a sister?" XD but in all seriousness, I like these designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.