• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Character Interviews

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
Time for continuing Eltenios' interview.

The Arcanine is resting as he listens to more interview questions that come from... somewhere. He does allow himself a bit of commentary.

Really, for this 'Haysan' creature... no further questions, but my attempt at sympathy. While I know the feel of days blurring one past another... I can not truly understand in any way the feeling of having no ambition, of having no desire... the feeling of not moving.

It's creepy man. Be careful. If you cry for the guardian forces, I hope they spare a thought for you and you never have to go through something like that again.

"So, Eltenios, I have a question," asks the creature who has engaged him before. "Are you sure the ones you love care about you? Like... What would you do if everything collapsed right before your eyes?"

I shift a bit in my place. The ones I love? Like, the peoplemons I care about? This is not something I have deeply delved into... (*nervous sniff*) I have good friends... like, two or three... I care about them and they care about me. I'm confident about that.

You are weird with the questions you ask... like what if everything burned down? Like, can you imagine even what would that mean when you ask that question? I've heard prophecies man. Friends, homes, countries... everything gone. I... I have to be confident that will not come to pass. The guardian forces and their chosen Champion trainer will see to that... right?

But if something bad were to happen... If I was betrayed or abandoned...

Where will I go?

Now I've no home?

I'll do as my kin does.

I'll run.

And let the wind and the rain wash away those bad days, and start anew somewhere else. Maybe across the sea. Or in the sea. That pirate idea sounds like it'd be the crack if things went that badly.

"What does love mean to you?"

Uhm... well, I'm not sure what you are asking. Humans have such strange concepts. We majuu mostly seek each other to breed and spend some quality time raising our offspring, and sometimes not even that... but the human kind gives this simple name to such a broad and abstract thing.

I have... never sought for a mate. Sometimes I feel the wind tugging at me to go chase after those of my kin. Look out for one who likes to run as I do, and who wants to see the wide lands as I do. (*may or may not catch the interviewer smirking*) Hey, I did mention I am a very busy Pokémon! Maybe one of these days... but not right now.

"What makes you happy?"

Hmmm... I guess the closest thing I could relate to happiness, since I have not yet fulfilled my purpose in life, would be the time I spend with others of my kind. Seekers. Runners. When we are set free, we are set free, and we can go wherever we want and feel whatever we want. And our thoughts stay with each other. And sometimes the stories of what and who we find on the road are fun.

"What makes you nervous or uncomfortable?"

Owww... well, reporting to the guardian forces is always a bit of a complicated and messy matter. You have to find them, or worse they find you. And when that happens there is no escape. You better had done your task well, or else.

There's also the rain. Rain makes me nervous. It makes it harder for me to see, and it brings back memories of times of solitude and weakness. Plus it does nasty things with my awesome fur.

I am okay with the windy days, but not so much with the rain.

So, for this 'Wizardmon' creature...

You speak highly of loyalty and since I was asked about certain... bad feelings. But about you... what can you tell me about betrayal? Have you felt it? Have it pierce your flesh? What was it like, and how would you prepare for it?

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
(Hey, Wiz, you got yourself an interesting question I think you'd like to ans... *pauses*)

*stares back in near-surprise, frozen in the middle of washing clothes*

(...what're you doing?)

*looks back-and-forth quizzically* Laundry...?

(...)

Do you need something?

(...yeah, um... *hands out small scrap of paper* For you. I thought you'd like to take a look.)

*sighs, shaking off water before taking it* You need to plan these ahead better.

(*throws up hands in defeat*)

Oh, well this is interesting.

(Oh good. Let's hear it, then.)

*stands up and fixes hat* An Eltenios says: “You speak highly of loyalty and since I was asked about certain... bad feelings.” Well, I apologize if it brought up unpleasantries, but at least you're not running from it—perhaps. “But about you... what can you tell me about betrayal? Have you felt it? Have it pierce your flesh?” *raises brow and blinks in intrigue, shifting weight* “What was it like, and how would you prepare for it?”

(*grins* Told you it was great.)

*gives a look, then hums in throat* I think you'd be surprised I haven't had it happen to me—well, not in the way you or anyone else might think of. You see, the biggest rule living under Myotismon's wing was basically “Fend for yourself”. The soul-crushing, brutal nature of the castle meant you had to toughen yourself up, you had to push aside emotions that would “get in the way”, if they weren't beaten out of you.

*folds arms, brows furrowed* Betrayal wasn't exactly uncommon there. Everyone ditched each other whenever they could, everyone stabbed each other in the back—sometimes literally—most were left for dead, it happened to everyone. That was what made Gatomon and I stand out from the others, was that we were the only two who never abandoned each other. I won't lie, I've certainly left a few of my... “cohorts” in the rain a few times, but they practically had deserved it. I didn't care for them. But here's the thing: I was on no one's side but Gatomon's. *chuckles in amusement* Telling Myotismon that honestly still has to be one of the best moments of my life. The fight was completely one-sided and only led to more problems, but it was worth it.

(So... basically you're saying you've never experienced true betrayal?)

*closes eyes for a moment, jaw locking up* I've had rare instances where... deep down inside, I feel as if I've betrayed myself. Keep in mind, I meant what I said in that I have no regrets. However, ever since I returned, I've felt... frustrated. For six years... six short, yet long years, I was stuck in a place I wasn't native to, unable to move on or reconfigure. I couldn't interact with the physical world, it was even a miracle I managed to get my message across to Gatomon the one time. What kept me from regretting what I had done and getting mad at the Powers That Be, myself, even at Gatomon, was the reason why I died: it was for her. The day she came by to tell me to move on, I wanted to so badly. I wanted her to feel at peace.

(Think the World of Dreams was the right place for her to go?)

*shrugs* Regardless, while I'm glad to be with her again, it doesn't feel... natural. And so, in some dark corner of my heart, I feel like I had turned my back on what my sacrifice meant for her. It was an accident, my return wasn't what she had wished for. But I've been thinking maybe, just maybe, that one part of me was a part that hadn't fully accepted my decision, and caused the World of Dreams to revive me. I just don't understand how to convince that part of me that the sacrifice was the right choice so the two of us can be at peace like she wanted.

(*frowns* It's that bad, huh?)

Not really, it's just frustrating. But... *sighs and smiles* ...I'm not letting it get to me. At the very least, Gatomon and I can finally be ourselves without Myotismon in our lives.

(*nods* Well, I'll let you go back to your laundry. Thanks for your time.)

Thanks to Eltenios, actually, I appreciated being asked that. It's just too bad it was at the wrong time with the wrong audience.

(Huh?)

*smiles mysteriously* Never mind.

(*slowly walks away and mumbles* Not going to lie, that was kind of weird...)

I just had to answer immediately, that was a really cool question.

Omegagoldfish

My will be done
[spoil]

The figure reappeared, startling Hysan. Its intention was clear, however.

"Hysan, what gives you the urge to kill others?" The reporter asked.

"The condition you call 'life' is a wasteful, purposeless, painful trial without end nor reason. I merely want to help you get over your pain."

The reporter took a small step back before nodding.

"A question for someone named Wiz, please," it said, in the same monotone voice.

"Of course. If you knew when and how you would die, would you try and stop your own death? At what cost would you do so?

[/spoil]

>_< Delayed for a bit.

Hello again. I'm back, with more questions.
Huh? Is this going to become a regular thing?
Only if you don't mind it being so.
... Fine, it's not like... we're doing anything else.
Let's get right onto it then.
Your personal life doesn't exist anymore... but what was it before you began your journey? Why did you leave in the first place?

... I don't remember. My life before I left home was a blur, although I can distinctly remember spending a significant portion of it watching movies. In particular, ones with explorers. I always loved that stuff... I suppose it's why I made the choices I did. As for why I left... I didn't have a choice. After all... everyone starts their journey some time... right? Some... just have to go onto it... whether they like it or not.

Could you tell me more about your partner? What makes you think she can read your thoughts? What's your relationship with her like?

Well... Ah heck, you've already know enough that more isn't going to kill me. I don't know what caused it, but for some reason I've got a telepathic link with my partner. So this whole "can read my thoughts" thing, is actually 100% true. Of course, she can't read ALL my thoughts, but it's beginning to be hard to tell mine apart from hers...

As for the relationship, it's a bit like trying to herd Glameows. Nil's always been stubborn, and this hasn't improved much. Even though we've begun to agree more on things, neither of us are sure whether it's her that's learning to listen to me, or if it's the other way around. All in all, I'm still willing to put my life in her hands (And I usually do, considering my luck), but the entire time we'll be arguing. Not like anyone else can hear the argument.

What are your supernatural talents? How has your life changed since you discovered them?

From what I've been able to do, I'm more or less a pokemon now. I've heard stories about "Psychics", trainers who had some sort of innate ability, and I'm pretty close to that myself. Unfortunately, I can't help but shake the feeling that my case is different than theirs. As for my abilities themselves, they're pretty much all utility. Compared to Nil, or almost any Pokemon, really, I'm a pushover: it seems I can only open portals, and heal Nil. I mean, I seem to have some sort of weak bolt attack, but it does almost nothing, and eats a ton of energy.

Either way, these new tricks I've picked up have saved me a few times, and even though only a few people know I'm able to do them, I can't help but feel that it'll eventually come bite me in the backside, you know?

... I think I've said enough.

It sounds like you've been some really cool places. What was your favorite to explore? Is there anywhere you're still hoping to check out?

I've always been a fan of caves and whatnot, the echoing caverns always gave me plenty of time to get out of dodge if danger arose. The extra three seconds of warning made a huge difference.

As for places I still want to go, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe I'll chase a rumor, or doublecheck another supposed dead end. Heck, I've heard claims of a massive underground system existing underneath Sinnoh, interlaced with hundred of hidden caches. Perhaps I'll be able to go exploring down there, some time.

What makes you happy?

Nowadays, it's pretty hard to get really happy about life. I mean, everything's so gloom and doom, I'm a wandering vagabond, yknow. Life.

However, I can't say I don't enjoy the feeling of a risky gamble paying off. Whether it's from finding treasure, or figuring out a puzzle, or piecing together another piece of the messy patchwork that is my life.

How do you define "spirit"?

That's a... completely out of the blue question.
By spirit, do you mean will? Or do you mean spirit as in immortal soul?
Those two are completely different.
I mean, determination always is useful, and is quite handy at keeping a person afloat when disaster inevitably strikes. That much is obvious.
As for immortal soul...
I mean... I'm pretty sure any creature has one, since it does mean being able to think, right? I really don't know.

The closest thing to that I probably when I stood on a trap down...

Yeah, that'd probably work as an example.

Heck, that thing might've very well been my soul, but who knows?

Sorry. As I was saying, Nil and I ended up triggering a trap in a ruin, and that was one of the most traumatic experiences of our lives. And it wasn't a physical pain: it was almost entirely mental. I could FEEL my conciousness slipping away, and even though it didn't leave... Well... I think it might have actually left a scar, but it didn't break the skin or anything...

(Vis's eyes close momentarily, as he focuses for several moments. A look of confusion is plastered across his face.)

Uh. So, I could feel my conciousness slipping away, and with it, I actually could feel myself getting weaker at the same time. Limbs got heavy, voice gave out, it was almost impossible to get my body to obey. 'Course, it stopped when we grabbed the two wispy things that were spat out by the trap, but we STILL don't know for certain what exactly they were.

All in all, spirit MIGHT be the thing that lets a person control their body? I don't know. I don't think anyone will ever know. Maybe Arceus, or even Giratina, but I doubt a mortal will ever know for sure.

That'll do for now.

... Okay. Well, if you ever need more questions answered...

Do you really not have anything better to be doing?

Well, SOMEONE could finish writing the script...

Shush.

Anything else?

Ask a question for someone else. I've got others to interview.

Who might this be?

Uhh.... Murderer?

... Ask him what he'd do, if he was left alone. Unable to effect the world, unable to be seen, and was the simply the last person left. Uhh... He is a person right?

That's a pretty specific question. Also, no clue.

(Vis shrugs)

Well, it is a personal fear of mine.

(hooo crud.)

Well, I'll be sure to ask him that.

Last edited:

Omegagoldfish

My will be done
[spoil]
The figure reappeared, presumably with another question.

"So, Vis asked you this one: What would you do if you could no longer effect the world. What would you do if your were the last thing alive? In addition, he asked if you were a person."

"My work would be complete. I would have no regrets as I finally assisted myself out of the world. In case you have not noticed, I am a Toxicroak, Vis."

The figure nodded.

"Any questions for Vis?" it asked in a calm voice."

"What does immortality feel like? What's it like knowing that only the inevitable destruction of reality can kill you?"
[/spoil]

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
(*comes up behind Wizardmon like a shadow*)

*looks back with furrowed brows* You can just... you know... send these questions to me through a message.

(*stares* Wait... I can just do that?)

*sighs* What do you got for me this time? I'm kind of in a hurry right now.

(Good, it's just the one question. *hands the paper over*)

Alright... “If you knew when and how you would die, would you try and stop your own death?” *suddenly smirks* “At what cost would you do so?” *bursts out laughing*

(*grins wryly trying hard not to laugh as well* If Gatomon was here right now...)

*composes himself with a smile* I... I've already had my death. I knew I would die―how, though, I didn't―and I still took the bullet anyway. But even if I had the clairvoyance to know about it, I still would've done it. That's what sacrifice is, putting others above yourself. Gatomon's happiness was more important than my own wellbeing. I was dying, anyway, before I stepped in front of Myotismon's attack.

(But to answer the question...?)

I'd do it all again as long as I know it wouldn't have been in vain. I had enough faith in Gatomon that she could find the strength to go on without me. I still died a slave, but she doesn't live in fear anymore. Although―*chuckles*―it was tiring to be in limbo. I didn't want to come back, but at the very least I'm doing something worth my time.

(Wow, you took answering a serial killer's question pretty well.)

Giving an answer they weren't looking for is the way to do it. *winks* Look at who you're talking to. Look at who Myotismon was.

(Fair point.)

I actually have a question for this character: what was your childhood like?

(*flatly* You're not a psychiatrist, Wizardmon.)

*gives unamused look*

Omegagoldfish

My will be done
[spoil]

The figure re-emerged, Hysan grinned. This was at least refreshing.

"Another question from Wiz, pretty simple. What was your childhood like?"

"Well, in case this Reporter didn't tell you, I was raised in an orphanage. My first concrete memories date from when I was about ten. Apparently I was considered mentally advanced enough to raise the other kids. Their screaming was unending, and I was up to my ankles in filth on a daily basis. When I wasn't frantically juggling obnoxious layabouts, I was lying in feces, trying to figure out what I wanted in life.

I had nowhere to go. Living in a rotten wooden building, with only infants as company. In desperation for some goal, I started talking to myself, coming up with friends of a sort. If nobody physical was going to comfort me, a mental voice or three would have to do. I gave them little names, and they were like the brothers, friends and parents I never had. But of all of them, one was interesting. See, I was named by the elders but just referred to as 'you', 'Croagunk' or some shortening of my prevolved name. The interesting one, well, he called himself Hysan. I loved him more than the others, and they faded. Well, he told me about life, and he told me my goal. It was so clear, and I felt like a fool for not realizing this. I was eleven when the voice started to leave. I remember his last words to me, 'it's all clear now, take what you wish from me'. In honor of my departed light, to remember my only true ally, I took the name Hysan and got to work.

The first to go were the kids. It wasn't hard, a drop here, a poisoning there. Natural toxicity works wonders, I barely had to do a thing. The Elders showed up, and I informed them of my identity. I was no longer Croagunk, or 'child', or the name they gave me, 'William'. I was Hysan. And they were corpses in a matter of minutes. They were too old, and were taken by surprise. After a little bit of inventing, the building was burned, and I began my life.

The process to becoming a Toxicroak is a rapid one, and by the time I was fifteen, the transition was complete. From there, well, after a bit of a runaround, I met the Boss, and he had a lot of people after him. I got to help them out. It's been about ten years, and I feel amazing, making actual change, doing so much good."

The reported took a step back as Hysan cleared his throat, before Hysan spoke again.

"So, Wiz, if something was inevitably going to destroy the world, how would you react? Cry? Try to fight or run? Lie down and surrender?"

[/spoil]

Last edited:

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Sorry for late; had a busy weekend. And now it is... somehow Wednesday, and I have no idea how that happened. :X Thanks for keeping things going while I was away. I'm glad people are having fun with these!

[size=+1]ChloboShoka[/size]

Thanks for adding the questions! You don't have to post questions directed at everybody, or for each other character if you don't want to, just the person above. Though if you do want to keep doing more questions like that, feel free! Also, the little blissey sprites you added to your post are really cute.

How did you end up working in a Team Rocket clinic? I'm guessing it wasn't by choice? It strikes me as the kind of place you would want to avoid getting mixed up in...

How did you handle battling and being part of a trained team? Do you approve of pokémon training in general?

How's your relationship with your patients? Are you bossy with them as well, or is that only with the humans that bring them in? Do you think you have a good bedside manner?

What do you like best about the Hearthome Pokémon Center? What would your ideal place to work be like?

[size=+1]Kutie Pie[/size]

Wizardmon, then! Should be a somewhat more agreeable interviewee than Deoxys. XD (Somehow I managed to type "Gatoman" like five times, hopefully I fixed them all...)

You mention that Gatomon often goes back and forth between the human world, and she has a human partner. What's your relationship with humans? Do you have any desire to visit the human world yourself? (sorry if this is just canon I don't know)

It sounds like a lot changed for you after your time in limbo. Have you been trying to live your life differently now that you're alive again, and if so, how?

Do you have any friends besides Gatomon? Have you in the past? If not, why not?

What do you mean when you say you want people to recognize you as being as much a person as a Digimon? How do the two differ?

[size=+1]Omegagoldfish[/size]

Okay, here's the second and last set of questions for Hysan! As always, you can continue with another character if you like, just answer random questions, etc.

What exactly is your relationship with Lriba? Why can't you help him, specifically?

You mentioned you don't remember anything about your early life. Do you know anything about that period, based on what other people have said? Does anybody know about the parents you never met yourself?

How do you usually go about helping people? Is it through poisonings, like you mentioned doing at the orphanage, or are you generally more hands-on?

Do you know of any other pokémon that share your beliefs? Do you wish there were more pokémon like you in the world?

[size=+1]solovino[/size]

...somehow I completely failed to make the connection between Eltenios from your one-shot and Eltenios from Fledglings until I read this, despite the fact that they obviously have the same name and evolutionary family. Elty goes by his nickname so much that I briefly forgot his full name, that's my excuse! Anyway, here are more questions:

You mention the guardian forces quite a bit, and you seem proud of your job. But what exactly is it that you do, and what forces are you working for? Why did you have to leave your family behind to take your job?

How do you think your life would be different if you hadn't gotten called by the emperor?

What will you do when you get too old to run anymore?

It sounds like you don't have a great love of humans, but what about other pokémon? You mention you enjoy spending time with others of your kind ("seekers, runners"). Are those mostly other arcanine, or are they of different species? When/where to you encounter them? What are your feelings about pokémon that don't like to run the way you do?

[size=+1]PhalanxSigil[/size]

Here are my last questions for Derek! As always, you can continue with another character if you like, or simply pop back in to answer any of other people's questions that strike your fancy.

You mention that you think that even as a pokémon you're falling into some of the same traps when interacting with people as you did when you're a human. Do you have any plans for trying to break yourself out of those patterns? Do you think you might overcome them in time, and how you might go about doing that?

So heading off to travel the world appeals to you, does it? Is there anywhere in particular you'd like to travel?

If you became a physicist, do you have any idea what area you might specialize in?

And, finally, a silly question: your transformation made you into a monferno. Is that what you would have expected, or do you think another species would suit you better? If you could have chosen what pokémon to become, what would you have gone for?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
(*steps in, stuffing face with ice cream cake* Got more questions for you!)

*sarcastically* You don't mean the ones I'm looking at right now?

(*stares* Hey, if you could answer them just fine, why haven't you told me?)

I just realized I could. You didn't show up yesterday, or the day before that, and while I thought nothing of it, I had an epiphany. *raises hands to his head* I live in the Internet. I can just walk right in to this 'Serebii' and give the answers without a middleman.

(*frozen with cake stuffed in mouth as it sinks in* Ohhhhhhh...)

*nods slowly*

(*drawls out* ...hhhhhhuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh...)

Am I free to answer these, now?

(Oh, sure, whatever. You don't need me. *turns away but still looks over shoulder*)

*turns to the message board* “So, Wiz—” Okay, I want to make this clear that it's just a nickname Gatomon came up for me. I don't let anyone else call me that.

(*meekly* Sorry...)

Continuing: “—if something was inevitably going to destroy the world, how would you react? Cry? Try to fight or run? Lie down and surrender?” Mind you, the world's been in danger quite a few times whether I got involved or not. In the end, the DigiDestined have always triumphed. However, as I wouldn't want my peaceful life taken from me, I'd fight any and all threats to the death—and I have.

(I think you need to start laying off on talks of death. It's a little weird.)

I apologize if it makes you uncomfortable, it just comes naturally.

(*to self* Well, when you've been dead six years...)

*ignores* Oh, excellent, a new set of questions to change things up a bit. “You mention that Gatomon often goes back and forth between the human world, and she has a human partner. What's your relationship with humans? Do you have any desire to visit the human world yourself?” I have been revisiting the human world since my reconfiguration. It's a nice place, many parallels between it and the Digital World. I've yet to visit outside of the Tokyo area, however, but given that Digimon aren't quite welcome there, yet, I'm taking things a little at a time. I wonder if I should learn that teleportation spell...

(*jokingly* Can't transport yourself through your hat?)

Ha ha. “It sounds like a lot changed for you after your time in limbo. Have you been trying to live your life differently now that you're alive again, and if so, how?” Very much so, actually. When I had first arrived to the Digital World, I wasn't in the... right state of mind, so I just wandered listlessly for a while. There wasn't much I could do under Myotismon's orders, either, so since he's no longer an issue, and I'm a lot happier than I was back then, I've been much more invested in learning about the two worlds. As humans say, “I feel alive, again.”

(*makes a face* Ehhhh... at least you're not sounding like an old-timer. *rasping* “I feel ten years younger.”)

*furrows brows* Are you mocking how I sound?

(No! No-no, I love your voice, Wizardmon! *grins*)

*stares in concern then returns to the board* “Do you have any friends besides Gatomon? Have you in the past? If not, why not?” *smiles vaguely* The past is past. Any friends I may have had prior to my arrival are no longer in contact. I've been content with Gatomon thus far, and although I promised her I wouldn't be the wedge between her and Kari, I've been finding myself more involved with the Kamiya family. I feel Kari wants to get to know me better, so I've been doing my best to form a good acquaintanceship with her. I don't mind gaining more friends, though.

(*aside* I don't think Wizardmon's that great at making a lot of friends, frankly. He just got lucky with Gatomon.)

*didn't notice* “What do you mean when you say you want people to recognize you as being as much a person as a Digimon? How do the two differ?” Ah, I apologize, I'm afraid some of the real world sayings have been rubbing off on me. *laughs* I'm a Digimon, nothing more, nothing less. As for how the two differ—

(*cuts in* Hold it. You're not going to ramble again, are you?)

No, I was going to give the short answer.

(You're the Digimon-equivalent of Izzy, you don't have short answers.)

*frowns* I'm afraid you lost me there. Although I think either Gatomon or Kari—maybe Tai—have mentioned that...

(Were you just going to say “Digimon have data, humans have flesh and blood”?)

*blankly stares* ...that was the idea. Who's answering these questions, anyway?

('Kaaaaay, so I guess you don't need me anymore?)

...I can't leave a guest review, now can I?

(*raises finger to say something, then puts it down* Good point...)

Omegagoldfish

My will be done
[spoil]

Hysan was getting a bit bored, but remained in his seat regardless, waiting for the reporter. As if on cue, the shadowy, flickering figure arrived.

"Alright, these are your last questions before you go," the reporter said, waving an appendage.

"Hmm, why are these the last questions?"

"You've been scaring some of the others. We also have an appointment with someone else. Don't worry, you'll simply return to where you were beforehand.

"Alright, I'm ready. Final questions?"

"What exactly is your relationship with Lriba? Why can't you help him, specifically?"

"Simple one first? Okay, whatever. Lriba hired me about five years after my Enlightenment. I had gained a reputation by then, and me merely standing there was enough to stop many assassination attempts. Those who were brave enough were not tough enough, and they all shared the same fate. Now, for why I don't help him, it's a bit more complex. Firstly, he's forming what he calls a 'glorious revolution' and enabling 'freedom of information for every 'mon' and whatnot. His actions are indirectly helping so many, and I would be a fool to end that. Secondly, if he dies by my hand, I will soon follow, and my work is nowhere near done. Finally, he's one of three individuals I know who can probably beat me in a fight, the others being Vhernor and Shulz.

"You mentioned you don't remember anything about your early life. Do you know anything about that period, based on what other people have said? Does anybody know about the parents you never met yourself?"

"I know nothing. Any records that may have given me insight were destroyed in the fire that consumed the place after I was done, save for one that stated I was brought here as an egg. Thus, nobody knows who I am, or where I came from."

The reporter paused for a second before continuing.

"How do you usually go about... helping people? Is it through poisonings, like you mentioned doing at the orphanage, or are you generally more hands-on?"

"Ah, this is a good one! I have no real preference, although I prefer being more up close. It's better to see everything happen, rather than just hear about it."

Another pause, the shadow figure took a step back before continuing.

"Final question, and then you're discharged. Do you know of any other Pokémon that share your beliefs? Do you wish there were more Pokémon like you in the world?"

"I am unaware of any who share my beliefs, and I think if too many shared them, we'd get in each other's way. As for my final question, anyone can answer this. What do you love most?"

The reporter stepped outside the room as Hysan vanished in a pillar of light. In his place, a battered Marowak appeared.
[/spoil]

Last edited:

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
...somehow I completely failed to make the connection between Eltenios from your one-shot and Eltenios from Fledglings until I read this, despite the fact that they obviously have the same name and evolutionary family. Elty goes by his nickname so much that I briefly forgot his full name, that's my excuse!

Excuse accepted :p SpitefulMurkrow has done a wonderful work at differentiating his take on the character - while the foundational elements of what make an 'Eltenios' are noticeably there, most of everything else shows to be consequential to a setting like the one of Fledglings and the kind of life 'Elty' has had to carry on in it.

Speaking of the Arcanine, here come more questions for him. Thanks!

----

When I moved from the spring to the grass under a tree nearby, the creature interviewing me followed. I acknowledged the response to the questions I sent to Wizardmon. Living in a place like that for so long must have been horrible. I'm thankful here we take steps to avoid such kind of life, even if there are some... notable outliers - both human and majuu. Still, we have managed to build up a world like this where someone like me can just go out and enjoy, and I hope you get to experience a bit of a life like that, be it by accident or not.

As for the questions that the interviewer has asked to me... there is nothing more interesting to do today unless I get a call to work from the guardian forces, so I don't really mind answering them. Gives me someone to talk to that doesn't just think in the human terms of trading services.

You mention the guardian forces quite a bit-

(Of course I do... uhm... maybe I shouldn't? They don't seem to like the exposure. Eh, let's see...)

- and you seem proud of your job.

Why thanks. Comes with being this good~. (*puffs chest*)

But what exactly is it that you do, and what forces are you working for? Why did you have to leave your family behind to take your job?

Ahem...

The simplest way I could describe my service to the guardian forces is that I move things. That's what the satchel is for. See, (*leans closer to the interviewing figure, trying to look a bit threatening*) the guardian forces seem to prefer it that we the wild ones keep a tight paw on our own dangers. So for many many generations they have summoned wild Pokémon to delegate to them certain tasks to help keep certain dangers under check: some Pokémon write, some fight, some guard, some kill... Me, I was summoned to move things without disturbance, and to pass messages around much like the humans who call themselves mail men do.

Speaking of, since you asked... The guardian forces, that is the triad of Fighting-type majuu that have since long ago roamed this continent... haven't you heard of them? Maybe you are from some faraway land? I know there are other guardian forces in other regions. The ones here, the humans call them muskedeers or something... they don't really get involved in things directly, instead (*stands proudly and shifts to a more jovial tone*) they appoint us to do their bidding for the region; Terrakion, the largest and more involved of the trio, is the one who recruited me.

So I more or less... (*waves a paw absentmindedly*) go here, go there, take things, drop things. Yeah, that's what I do.

As for why did I have to leave my family behind... well, everyone does. The guardian forces said they expected full commitment from the ones they had chosen, even leaving clanship behind so there would never be conflict of goals.

(*Looks to the distance wistfully*)

They try to make a point they are more amicable than the guardian forces in other places; still, they did mean 'full' commitment, so I was taken from my pack, who were told to keep running without me, and then I was evolved so that I would have the stamina and the speed that excellence in this job demanded. I am forbidden from sealing allegiance with any other power, be it human trainers or the sovereigns and keepers of other wild lands.

How do you think your life would be different if you hadn't gotten called by the emperor?

Well, it happened when I was still young, not very capable, still very dependent on my pack. I guess we would have kept running together, living as wilds, until the time came to separate, for each of us to form our own packs. Then we would have head in different directions, who knows what adventures each would have had along the way.

Who knows? I could have ended up attaching to a trainer, or for some of the lesser wilds. I could still have gone to places, I guess. Or if I didn't like the idea of associating with humans or wild packs, perhaps taking a couple lessons from the Houndour around and stalk and steal provisions from travelers. Whatever works, I guess.

In the end, maybe life would have been very different, but not drastically so. We servants are allowed bits of something resembling the life of a wild majuu, we can have friends and mates, it's just they come after everything else. Life is not about "me first" anymore, not even about "us first".

What will you do when you get too old to run anymore?

(...)

(*shifts around with a hint of unease*)

Too old to run for them, or on my own? The guardian forces let the old ones go in peace, though having something to do afterward is a different matter. I'd need a home, in case I can not keep my current one...

It could be those days may be not far away, I'm still charming and untiring, but I'm not getting any younger. My few friends also grow old, their roles slowly being replaced by those of their offspring. There will come a time when we will all have to stop running and settle down to... don't know, pass down whatever good we have.

When that happens, I'd like to go live to the lands of the south, the wide cornfields the humans grow with the permission of the triad. There's no mountains there and barely any towns, so whatever direction I decide to run... or trot, I won't meet obstacles for long enough to still have fun.

It sounds like you don't have a great love of humans, but what about other pokémon?

(*blinks a couple of times*)

...What? Seriously?

(*allows himself a nervous laugh, then inspects the interviewer as if to verify*)

It's not like I dislike humans... Do I really come off like that? I have to apologize, it is really not the intent... hey, (*resumes a serious tone*) some of my best friends are trained by humans! It's just that for me, they are so... I don't know, they just stand as obstacles, like the trees and the mountains on my way, and are not really part of my life up until one of them decides to fight me, not getting the "working for the guardian forces" part of the memo; then I have to be more than a bit forceful to make sure I get away.

They are also so messy and are always obfuscating things with their words about "law" and "jury's prudence" or whatever, instead of being like us and going right to help other people and majuu.(*snickers*) Would you believe me if I told you that some of them have silly rules about who gets to move first or what moves are we allowed to use in a fight? And then they complain about the mystical technique Hex or some other that sounds like it?

We? We keep it simple. I move things. This one fights. That one writes. That other one flies circles around a mountain. Those two over there count the Rock-types.

You mention you enjoy spending time with others of your kind ("seekers, runners"). Are those mostly other arcanine, or are they of different species? When/where to you encounter them?

Oh... the others... yes~

(*stretches a bit and then paces around the interviewer*)

Sometimes I cross paths with others of my kin, those who run. Near the crossroads of the human paths one is bound to see a fellow Growlithe, or perhaps a Houndour, or their packs, which makes sense as we follow the human gatherings with our own. Every blue moon or so, near a creek or amidst some bushes, I get to meet a Ninetales - but those encounters don't last long for they are very aloof and elusive.

(*trots a bit, getting impacient*)

Then there's the times when I'm around some mountains and I happen to see other Arcanine, for our morph is rare, and we wave paws and talk about the winds and about how the younger ones look up to us.

What are your feelings about pokémon that don't like to run the way you do?

(*stops in place, thinks for a moment*)

To each their own, I guess. They miss on the conflict, on the feeling of the wind rushing you to places and the ground trying to keep you still. But at the same time, I've seen enough to realize there are Pokémon with their own conflicts I maybe can never understand. The ones who live in the rivers, or even undersea, there can not be wind there can it? When I ask I don't really understand what the words they use mean. Then there's the birds, they seem to live inside the wind, yet they can not run, as its pull seems so different with them, but they seem to experience something similar to what we do, I think they call it dive.

But if they don't like to run, it's fine so long as they like something that tries to tire them out. That's where the excitement in life lies. So if there is something like the wind where they live, some of them must love it, I'm sure.

Now... if you excuse me, (*stands up and looks around, then comes in to sit besides the interviewer*) I'd like to ask a question, and it is not really aimed to any of the others in particular so anyone can answer.

See, from what I've heard I'm not the only one with a boss, so I was wondering, what is *your* relationship with your boss like? What are the customs, the rules of your work? What happens to you or to your boss when you fail?

(Meta commentary: I'm likely giving one more round of answers from Eltenios, after that I'll consider if sticking with him or switching to another character if people are okay with that)

Omegagoldfish

My will be done
[spoil]

The reporter stepped back into the room, betraying no emotion as it saw the Marowak.

"How would you introduce yourself to a stranger?" It asked calmly.

The Marowak cleared his throat as he leaned on the bone he wielded.

"I guess I should introduce myself to you, huh? I am Andrew Malway, acting captain of the thirtieth Dungeoneer Corps under his Majesty, Calixtus the Second."

The reporter motioned to the seat behind the Pokémon, who slowly sat down.

"I guess I was a bit odd, but you have a few questions to answer," the reporter muttered, scratching its head.

"Before I say anything more, tell me this. Do you serve Lriba?"

"I do not recognize the authority of Lriba at all," the reporter responded.

"Fine, I have nothing better to do. Ask."

"Where do you live?"

"Until I got here, I was in the Elixer Peaks, overseeing the construction of a proper military base. The barracks is just outside the Dungeon's entrance."

The reporter nodded before asking another question.

"What's your family like?"

"Family? You mean, relatives? Or those I know best? Relatives, I have none. Kangaskhans die fast after giving birth, and I was an only child. My father never even saw me. For those who I really know, we're all stuck in the same frozen hell, so there's no secrets between us. Al's been cooped up too long, and is itching for some rebels to show up. Gloria, no clue what she's thinking, just running around carrying stones and placing them seemingly at random, seems to be building a wall. Tesich spends most of his time in the Dungeon itself. Real quiet, sticks to himself. That's my squad. We're all afraid."

"What do you want to do with your life? How does what you're doing now relate to that?"

"I'm too old to live for my dreams. I just obey my superiors, and perhaps I'll die in peace. I have no dreams anymore, nor any desire to pursue what I once had."

"What's your most unusual trait?"

"I'm not dead yet, despite what I've seen. I'm also missing my left eye, in case you haven't noticed."

"What's a sure way to make you angry?"

"Disobey orders. Make chaos. Act without thinking."

"What's your biggest accomplishment?"

"I actually saw the entrance to the Northern Rift. Didn't step inside though, that's suicide."

"What decision do you most regret?"

"Allow an old 'mon to ramble for a while. It was the beginning of the war, about three years ago. Lriba and his goons were pushing west, and we ended up in their way. We were fighting these fanatics for a time, but they ran into a Mystery Dungeon. I gave the order to pursue them. Lost my eye and half my squad in that damned maze. Turns out they simply used an Escape Orb, and fled further west, so I did it all for nothing.

"What do you think is the most important thing for other people to understand about you?"

"If someone sees me, run. I attract tragic events like none other."

"If you could change just one thing about yourself, what would it be?"

"What I wouldn't give to be young again. To be able to run without joint pain, to be able to enjoy life."

The reporter nodded, writing something on a clipboard before continuing.

"Those are the starting questions. I have one more as of now, or someone named Eltinos has one for you."

"Go ahead. I doubt I'll leave here alive. In basic, I learned something. Always expect the worst, and you'll be hailed as a prophet."

The reporter took a step back and sighed before continuing.

"What's your relationship with your boss like?"

"Haven't seen him in two years. My commander's been dead almost as long, coward killed himself. I'm listed as Unsigned, meaning that if anyone with a high rank sees me, I'm their slave."

The reporter left the room.

[/spoil]

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
*looking around the message boards* I'm a little surprised humans have so much information, yet don't really know what to do with it.

(*had been lurking nearby keeping an eye on Wizardmon* It's a fan site.)

*frowns at a few threads* It must be frustrating to be here with the cynicism and anger that comes from opposing differences.

(Ehhh... it's been dull lately. What I'd give to see some kind of chaos going on.)

You're only further proving my point. *looks through the posts* Whoops, I had forgotten to leave a question last time.

(My fault for not remembering.)

No, I take full responsibility. Let me think of something... *notices a question* Oh?

(*looks over his shoulder, then steps away to leave him be*)

“What do you love most?” *pause* I have a fondness for many things. I value knowledge above other priorities of life, for I love to read and learn. I love walking the earth to see many different lands and experience culture. I love being able to spend time with my best friend, and just being ourselves for once.

However... what I love the most over all is knowing Gatomon's happy. Her time spent with Kari all of these years have done wonders, more than I could have done tenfold. Yes, we're having a great time together after years of Myotismon breathing down our necks... but first and foremost, she's Kari's partner. They are a team, two halves of a whole. I had filled that hole in her heart until she found the right piece, and then I willingly bowed out. Kari makes her happy, and brings her peace. *smiles* Gatomon's friendship with me is like a hobby compared to their partnership. And I'm okay with that. That's how important she is to me. She's... what I love most.

(...)

...well, if there's no other questions, I'll leave one for anyone to pick up: If there was a crossroads in your life that you could do over, which would it be? Would you have gone down the other path, or still make the same decision?

Alright, last round for Derek! These questions are really good. I'm trying to figure out which character to do next, but rest assured, it will be someone from Convergence.

Jeez, you're pulling me aside so much, it's like you don't want me to train.

Take it easy, Derek. This is the last round of questions, I swear.

Fair enough. Have at it, then. I'm all ears.

You mention that you think that even as a pokémon you're falling into some of the same traps when interacting with people as you did when you're a human. Do you have any plans for trying to break yourself out of those patterns? Do you think you might overcome them in time, and how you might go about doing that?

Always with the deep questions first, huh? Well, like I said earlier, I hate it that these same patterns are happening with me again, and I'm trying to rectify that. I'm doing a lot better, at least I think. I mean, Grush's caught me rambling a couple of times, and that's something that most people back home don't do, so that's nice, and I think that Neva is actually being nice to me. Like, she's not faking it.

And that's surprising?

Hey, when the only girl who's shown any capacity of tolerating you has known you since you were three, and every other person with two X-chromosomes thinks you're either an asshole or a loser, you take what you can get.

Being introverted has its downsides. Not being able to talk to most girls is one of them. So the fact that Neva actually seems to want to be friends with me is a very big step in the right direction. Arceus knows, I haven't been doing much to help in that regard. (Seriously, why is she so nice to me?)

Hey, don't get too down on yourself. At least no one here hates you yet.

Except for the pinsir, right?

Except for the pinsir.

Ha. Figured.

Anyway, let's move on. I don't want you dwelling on such a downer topic for too long. Next question: So heading off to travel the world appeals to you, does it? Is there anywhere in particular you'd like to travel?

Hey, it surprised me, too! It's kind of a new development, seeing as before I got teleported here, I was more than content to whole up in my room all of the time. As for where I wanna go, I honestly have no idea. I've seen most of Sinnoh, so that's not exactly exotic, and my sister's in Kalos, so that's not really new either. ...huh. I dunno. I'll have to think about it.

Oh, and that's assuming I get back home in one piece.

Haha, fair enough. Anyway, here's another one: If you became a physicist, do you have any idea what area you might specialize in?

Probably something to do with condensed matter physics. I won't bore you with the details, but it's mostly stuff to do with the phases and states of matter, like solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. I don't know much about it yet, but it looks super interesting. Especially the plasma part. And considering that fire is essentially created from sparks of plasma, I think it'll come in mighty handy in this world, too.

Nice. And, finally, a silly question: your transformation made you into a monferno. Is that what you would have expected, or do you think another species would suit you better? If you could have chosen what pokémon to become, what would you have gone for?

Dude, this was the absolute last thing that would have ever been on my mind. And to be perfectly honest, even though I'd much rather be a human right now, I'm just happy that, when I did transform, it was into something with opposable thumbs, or even working hands at all. Seriously, how bad would it've been if I'd transformed into something like a klefki, or even a voltorb? *shiver* I almost can't bear the thought.

Omegagoldfish

My will be done
[spoil]

The reporter returned, and Andrew shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"I forgot, do you have any questions for the others?"

"Other people getting interrogated like this? Sure. What's the worst thing you've endured? How did it change you?"

The reporter left, and Andrew relaxed a little.

[/spoil]

GingerDixie

Hopes and Dreams
Welp, totally jumping on the bandwagon here, because hey, this does look fun~

I will be posing as Cobaea "Coba" Vining, Servine protagonist and narrator of Monsters Among Friends. Because I need to work on her a bit more. And try to prod myself to keep writing her.

Starter questions and answers under the cut.

[SPOIL]
Original Questions are in bold. Coba's answers are in plain text. Further author's notes will be in italics.

1.) How would you introduce yourself to a stranger?

Uhm..."Hi, I'm Coba"? I guess? I don't know. Everyone is a stranger to me, really. I've been moved around so many times it's actually quite difficult for me to name anyone I've known for longer than a few months. So, every time I talk to someone that isn't my family, it's like I'm talking to a stranger and introducing myself all over again.

2.) Where do you live?

In Unova, fairly consistently. I've at least never left the region. My current location is in Castelia City, where I moved to from Humiliau. I've been warned by my mother and her sponsor's lawyers not to be more specific than that, as her sponsor's husband could likely see this and use it to find us again.

3.) What's your family like?

Fractured. I currently live with my heavily expectant Serperior mother, Virginia Vining, and her human sponsor, Lindsey Whitehead. My Seviper father, Hakim Massoud, is unfortunately included in the restraining order against Lindsey's ex-husband Earl Farthing, and so he cannot be with us. That's just how things work around here.

As of this writing, her sibling has not arrived yet. They will later, and since it's not plot important, I figured I should mention it.

3.) What do you want to do with your life? How does what you're doing now relate to that?

Well, I'm still in school. I've considered many kinds of jobs...but when it comes right down to it...it ultimately depends on whether or not I'm assigned to a human with the same tastes. That's the way Unovan sponsorship works.

If I had a choice, I would definitely like to pursue some sort of social work, however. I certainly have experience with unstable backgrounds and would be more than willing to use my experiences to help others.

4.) What's your most unusual trait?

...When I was a Snivy, I was able to put my tail in my mouth and roll down hills like a wheel. I'm quite a bit longer now, so I'm not sure how well it would work--but I would be willing to give it a try again. It was quite fun.

5.) What's a sure way to make you angry?

Incredibly patronizing statements disguised as sympathy. Look, I understand that, in your own way, you're trying to help. But vague statements like "My heart goes out to you", "You are so strong to endure such a terrible hardship" and especially "Don't worry, it will work out" sound very wrong coming from someone who hasn't experienced my situation before. I am not looking for personal attention or pity when I talk about Earl, how he has torn apart my family and made his ex-wife's life hell. I am not looking for support. Those we can depend on for emotional and physical support have already given it.

I share my experiences so that I can warn others. Humans and Pokemon alike...they all need to know about people like Earl. They all need to know that moving away from an unhealthy and frankly dangerous situation is not at all easy, especially when there are more than just two parties involved. But they also need to know that it needs to be done. That justice must be served, and you must pursue it for however long it takes. That you musn't give up. Because as rocky as the road is, it's a hell of a lot better than staying firmly rooted in a vicious cycle.

6.) What's your biggest accomplishment?

Every time I complete a level of schooling despite bouncing around several times in a school year is an accomplishment for me. Also, making any sort of friends and keeping them, for one reason or another.

7.) What decision do you most regret?

I did have a rather good friend in Humiliau. But unfortunately, I could not tell her goodbye, because Earl had gotten her contact information and had been harassing her to provide details about me and my family. I ended up leaving her without her having any idea where I'd gone...

8.) What do you think is the most important thing for other people to understand about you?

I don't mean to come off cold. I have just learned over the years not to get attached to others. So...I would rather you not take it personally if I'm a bit distant. It's nothing personal.

If you could change just one thing about yourself, what would it be?[/B]

...I wish I was human. That way, maybe I wouldn't have to feel occassionally that nothing in my life is under my control...

[/SPOIL]

EDIT: Questions for Andrew:

1. Have you personally met the king of your world? This Calixtus the Second? What is he like?
2. So, are your responsibilities like that as a Rescue team as a Dungeoneer? Or is that another job altogether?

Last edited:

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
[size=+1]Kutie Pie[/size]

As before, last set of questions for Wizardmon, you can continue with another character if you like, annnd here we go...

What's it like, living in the internet? I imagine you must see some pretty wild things. Or is the experience quite a bit different than it is for humans?

You've mentioned that you're interested in becoming a scholar, and that you'd like to learn more about the two worlds. Is there anything in particular you'd like to study, or something that you're hoping to understand about the world?

What do you like about Gatomon? On the other hand, is there anything about her that drives you nuts?

How did you come to be working for Myotismon in the first place? Do you think something like that could end up happening to you again?

[size=+1]solovino[/size]

Yeah, it's interesting to see how Eltenios here resembles Elty in the 'fic... or doesn't!

All right, let's get Eltenios' last set of questions going.

So, I take it you've actually met the guardian forces in person, at least Terrakion? What are they like?

Do you have any particular favorite stories from your time as a messenger? Any deliveries that were particularly memorable? Have you ever failed to deliver something you were sent with?

What does it feel like to evolve? Were you happy to become an arcanine, or would you have liked to stay a growlithe for a bit longer?

Is there anyone in particular you look up to? Anyone you aspire to be more like?

[size=+1]Omegagoldfish[/size]

All right, here we go again...

What are your responsibilities as a captain?

How did you come to see the Northern Rift? And why are you stuck where you are now?

How long have you been in the Dungeoneer Corps, and what was your life like before then?

Are you proud to be serving the king? If you had the option to do things over again, would you still choose to join up with the Dungeoneer Corps?

[size=+1]GingerDixie[/size]

Hey, welcome to the bandwagon! Please post a question for Andrew, and then I'll get you your first set of questions.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
(Well, I have some good news, Wizardmon.)

*slightly puzzled, but intrigued* What do you mean by that?

This is the last batch of questions you can answer. You're free to go after this, although if you don't mind staying... *beat*

Hm. I see.

(That's it?)

I've come to like answering questions, but given I do have better things to do and Gatomon's been becoming a little suspicious, I suppose it was a matter of time before I could end it.

(Well, here's your chance. I'll leave you to your thoughts, then.)

*rolls shoulders* All right, then. First off: “What's the worst thing you've endured? How did it change you?” Living under Myotismon's wing for sure, although fighting off my inevitable death long enough to ensure Gatomon could stand on her own was difficult in hindsight. You learn to deal with pain when you work for a monster long enough. As for how it changed me, I came to stop thinking about myself for once in my life. Even today with being on my own for the first in a long time, I put Gatomon's needs above my own. She's been getting a little miffed about it, so it's just habit at this point, I suppose.

(*standing in the background listening in, trying hard not to make a big deal out of it*)

“What's it like, living in the internet?” I was... kind of joking about that. The Internet is more-or-less a passageway? *shrugs* “I imagine you must see some pretty wild things. Or is the experience quite a bit different than it is for humans?” The Digital World, I've noticed, is a little more wild than the civilized human world. From what I was told about their experiences, the DigiDestined were in peril numerous of times in the Digital World. I can understand why, they're not native, and thus can't reconfigure unlike us. Well... *frowns in thought* At least, there's no way they can have a rebirth at the Primary Village. But despite that, there's enough similarities between the two worlds that it's no different in terms of “wild things”.

“You've mentioned that you're interested in becoming a scholar, and that you'd like to learn more about the two worlds. Is there anything in particular you'd like to study, or something that you're hoping to understand about the world?” I've been finding myself studying up the lore more often than not. Although recently, I've been caught up in the legends of the DigiDestined. Gatomon thinks I'm going mad over it, but there's a difference between “madness” and “obsession”. *beat* Not that I'm either of those.

“What do you like about Gatomon?” *smiles* Her spirit. She's tough and very strong, but deep down, she has feelings. *chuckles* She saved my life years ago, and I'm forever indebted to her. She opened up my hard heart by giving me a second chance without once asking for a reward. Although she was under Myotismon's watchful eye at the time, she was miserable, but she never showed it. However, her eyes give herself away. Her eyes were the first I've seen, and I hope they'll be the last on my permanent deathbed.

*blinks down at the second half* “On the other hand, is there anything about her that drives you nuts?” In the good way, or the bad way? *smirks*

(*flusters in the background*)

Wellll... I'm not going to lie, but her stubbornness gets a little irritating. It's justifiable given how she was raised, but one would think she'd have loosened up by now. She also has a short temper. I tease her to no end, yet I can at least handle it when she snaps. It's the other Digimon who can't, the poor saps.

“How did you come to be working for Myotismon in the first place? Do you think something like that could end up happening to you again?” I willingly worked for Myotismon for Gatomon's sake. I didn't know it was that bad until I stepped foot in that castle, and I couldn't turn back after that. I could've, but I chose not to. Since she recruited me, she was my commanding officer, so I followed her orders more than I did Myotismon's. Worked in her favor, if you ask me. As for it happening again, not a chance now that Gatomon's with Kari.

(*pretends to take the time to return to Wizardmon* How'd it go? Have one left still?)

You know, there's no point in leaving if you were going to hear everything I said anyway.

(*grins nervously* Was it that obvious?)

That, and common sense.

(*rolls eyes a little in defeat* Well... whatever. You're done, so you're free to go.)

*tips hat* Thank you. It was a rough start, but I'm glad I could be here. It feels a little better to get a few things off my chest.

(Still haven't told Gatomon?)

She's not oblivious. She pretends she doesn't want being told about it, but I know better than to leaver her out of the loop in this friendship. I'm not afraid to answer questions I don't mind her knowing about. Besides, I still have a few questions of her own I need to answer some time.

(*nods* Well, off you go. If you're still up for answering questions, feel free to come back.)

*nods as well and then walks off*

(*sighs* Alright... who's next... *eyes drift to Handle with Care and narrow from a smirk*)

Omegagoldfish

My will be done
[spoil]

The figure faded into Andrew's view, startling him.

"More questions as usual. Let's begin. First, what are your responsibilities as a captain?"

"Giving orders and taking blame. We're practically autonomous, so as the highest ranking person in the squad, I am responsible for organization, orders, and morale. I also am responsible for every failure my squad makes. Including disobeying my orders."

"How did you come to see the Northern Rift? And why are you stuck where you are now"

"Guess I might need to tell you what the Northern Rift is. It's a Mystery Dungeon, most dangerous one known actually. None who enter ever leave, and piles of frostbitten bodies are the trail to it. Place is in a frozen mountain, causing many to gasp for air and die. I ended up near it while we were following an enemy force. They managed to trick us into heading north, and if you run that way far enough, you will find the Rift. I got stuck here because we headed east, to try and disrupt a supply line. I guess we did, because we're sitting on a massive pile of Elixers and Max Elixers. We're surrounded, and leaving the high ground is suicide."

"How long have you been in the Dungeoneer Corps, and what was your life like before then?"

"Been serving for about thirty years now. I grew up on the streets, and wandered into the recruitment office for the Corps. With nowhere else to go, I signed up. My life beforehand was starvation and isolation. My life now is starvation and isolation."

"Are you proud to be serving the king? If you had the option to do things over again, would you still choose to join up with the Dungeoneer Corps?"

"I'll be honest. I'm proud of what I have done, but if I had the choice, I wouldn't have signed. My life is miserable. I sleep on top of the dead for more comfort, as I haul stones around to reinforce my position. I sleep maybe an hour a day, and my sleep is full of nightmares. My missing eye itches like crazy, and I'm starting to see things that aren't there. I hate my life. But I hate Lriba more."

"What exactly is a Dungeoneer?"

"Dungeoneers are responsible for heading into the anomalies known as Mystery Dungeons, and preforming a variety of tasks, from rescue missions, supply gathering, disposing of waste, exploration, and attacking the enemy. That last one is a moot point, as almost nobody walks into a Dungeon. For me now, it's supply gathering and disposing of waste."

"Someone named Coba has a few questions,"

"Go ahead."

"Have you ever met the King, Calixtus the Second? What's he like?"

"I have never met the King. I sincerely doubt I will meet him. However, I will inform you that he is a Salamance. That is all I know about him. Remember I have been separated from Loyal forces for two years. Information is short here."

"Are your duties similar to Rescue Teams?"

"Rescue Teams? That designation's history. It used to cover part of my profession, but on a contractor basis. It was a business, not a service. Now, it's government run, although many Dungeoneers are missing, like Shulz, at least, my latest news tells me that."

"Any questions for the others?"

"Yes. Tell me, what do you think fear is?"

[/spoil]

(Edited)

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Just me
Well, this somehow turned into an entire Morphic extra.

Dave was drinking his coffee and reading the paper on a Saturday morning (for some value of morning) when something touched his shoulder. He jumped to turn around, yanking the cup with him and sending half of the coffee splashing into his lap.

“Shit fuck Jesus Jean, where’d you come from.” She was standing behind him, clutching a notebook to her chest, the grin on her face vanishing. “Don’t do that. Christ.”

“Are you okay?” she asked, worried, hanging her head, ears lowered, puppy eyes in full force. “I’m sorry, Dad, I didn’t mean to…”

He grabbed a tissue from the kitchen counter and tried to wipe most of it off his jeans. He waved his other hand at her. “It’s… it’s okay, I’m fine. It was getting cold anyway.” He sighed. “What’d you want?”

Instantaneously, she perked up again. “I had English class yesterday,” she said, “and we’re supposed to interview a family member over the weekend! Can I interview you? I made questions and everything!” She proudly held her notebook forward.

“Oh.” He slumped back into his chair. Well, he could change his jeans when this was done, he supposed. It wasn’t like she had any other family members to interview. “Yeah, sure, Jean. What kind of interview?”

“Just an interview,” she said, shrugging.

“Are you going to read it out in class or what?”

“No. Just submit it to the teacher.”

“All right.” Jean’s teacher didn’t like him much, as far as he’d gathered from the parent-teacher conferences, but hopefully she wouldn’t take that out on her. “Fire away.”

Her brow furrowed.

“That means ask the first question, Jean. It’s metaphorical. Nothing to do with fire.”

“Ohhh.” Jean’s eyes lit up with understanding as she gave a sagely nod. She sat down at the other side of the kitchen table with her notebook and pencil and cleared her throat. “How would you introduce yourself to a stranger?”

“Uh. David Ambrose, Heywood Labs?”

Jean nodded, writing eagerly. “Next question… where do you live?”

“What.” She was looking earnestly at him. “What… you know where we live, Jean. So does your teacher, for that matter; it’s in the school registry. What kind of interview question is that?”

“She said we can ask questions we know the answers to so we can get them in the person’s own words.”

“But…” He stopped himself. “All right, if somebody else who doesn’t know that just, like, stopped me in the street and asked that, I’d say… no, hang on, that’s… no. What kind of interview question is that?

Jean brought on the worried puppy eyes again. “Are my questions bad?”

“No, no, they’re fine, Jean.” He rubbed the bridge of his nose. “Just say Grace City. That’s all. If random people you don’t know ever ask you where you live, that’s what you should say.”

“Not the street address?”

“No. Only tell that to people who really need to know it, all right? There could be some bad people out there who’d… Look, just give me the next question.”

“Okay.” Jean carefully wrote the two words. “What’s your family like?”

“Uh. Family like what? Family like you, or family like your g…” She looked up at him, curious. “One daughter. That’s all.”

“You’re supposed to say what she’s like,” Jean said, grinning.

“She’s beautiful and smart and half-Vulpix and one day she’s going to Flamethrower anyone who asks her personal questions in the street.”

“Yeah!” She pumped her fist, pure delight on her face as she eagerly started to write. Dave couldn’t help smiling a bit. He reached across the table and ruffled her curls.

“All right, here’s the next one,” Jean said when she laid down her pencil. “What do you want to do with your life, and how does what you’re doing now relate to that?”

Dave blinked. That was quite a shift. “Uh, well, what I’m doing now is raising you, and doing research on how you guys work and why you developed the way you did, and working on developing ways to make things easier for you, and also trying to fight for you to have a decent life like everyone else because some ignorant swathes of the population think you’re not entitled to basic fucking human rights.”

Jean nodded, her pencil moving meticulously across the paper.

“You know when I use words like that, you don’t write them down, right?”

“Yup.”

“Great, smart girl.”

“And the rest?” she asked, looking up.

“The rest of what?”

“The question.” She looked down to read it again. “What do you want to do with your life, and how does what you’re doing now relate to that?”

“Well…” He paused. “I expect this is what I’m going to be doing for the rest of my life. I mean, I better fucking hope you outlive me.” It struck him as he said it that most of the morphs aged faster than normal, Katherine and Mia fastest of all, Jean too. They couldn’t know anything about what the morphs’ lifespans would be like, it was pointless to even think about and they all knew that, but –

“Oh. But what did you want to do before you made us?”

“I don’t know, just… science, research. Something to keep my brain occupied.”

Jean nodded and wrote. “Next… what’s your most unusual trait?”

“Heh.” He scratched his head. “Well, I figured out how to combine human and Pokémon DNA and it’s probably going to lead to the biggest medical advances in centuries. That’s pretty fucking unique. Also, I can string together a logical argument. You’d be surprised how rare that is.”

“What’s a sure way to make you angry?”

He grimaced. “How about shoving religion in my face? Don’t even get me started.”

Jean nodded. “What’s your biggest accomplishment?”

“See question… whatever the question was where I talked about combining human and Pokémon DNA and the biggest medical advances in centuries.”

“What decision do you most regret?”

His first thought, of course, was in no way an appropriate thing to say in this interview, or to Jean at all, ever. And, he realized upon the reflection it took to complete that thought, not actually true.

“I…” This was harder than it should be, God. “I regret yelling at you earlier,” he ended up saying when he couldn’t think of anything better. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, Dad,” Jean said brightly. He tilted his head to see what she was writing: I regret yelling at you

“I… are you sure you should write that?”

“It’s what you answered,” she said.

“Okay, no, hold on, I…” He stopped; she looked at him expectantly. Well, so what if her teacher would think he was a terrible parent. She thought that anyway. And if he went around taking back apologies to his daughter because they made him sound bad, she was probably right. “…Never mind.”

“Next question?”

“Sure.”

“What do you think is the most important thing for other people to understand about you?”

“Huh. What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Well, sometimes people are afraid of me or think I’m weird because I’m part Vulpix,” Jean said. “So I’d want them to understand that I’m just a girl like them and I’d only hurt bad guys.”

Dave raised his eyebrows. “Well, I don’t think I’m terribly misunderstood,” he said. “I say what I mean, and if people don’t like it, tough. Who cares what they think, anyway? You shouldn’t care what any of those people think about you. They’ll never understand you’re just a girl like them, but it doesn’t matter because they’re idiots.”

“Okay,” she said, smiling. Again he looked to see exactly what she was writing; she left it at I say what I mean, and if people don’t like it, tough. Part of him wanted the teacher to see the rest too, but it was probably better this way.

“Last question,” she said when she looked up. “If you could change just one thing about yourself, what would it be?”

“Change? I don’t want to change anything about myself. If I wanted to, I would’ve changed it already.”

“But what if you wanted something like a tail or a fire sac?”

“Well, I don’t. No offense.”

“There’s nothing you’d want to change that you can’t?”

“No, why would I? I look fine, I can do everything I want to do, what’s not to like? What, do you want to change stuff about yourself? Because you’re perfect as you are.”

Jean shrugged slightly. “I wish I screwed up less,” she said, averting her gaze. “I always make my friends mad at me and I don’t understand why. And if that coffee had been hot I could’ve really hurt you, couldn’t I?” She looked back up at him, eyes glistening with tears.

“What? Oh, no, Jean, that’s not…” Shit. He never knew what to say in these moments. He leaned forward on the table. “Look. It’s not your fault. None of it’s your fault, all right? If your friends get mad at you for no reason, that’s their problem, not yours. They’re… they’re probably just prejudiced morons like the rest of them and don’t deserve you anyway, okay? And forget about the coffee. Just… pretend that never happened. Okay?”

“But it did,” she said miserably.

“Look, everyone screws up sometimes. It’s okay. It’s no big deal.”

“Even you?” she sniffled.

“Well, yeah, sure, sometimes.”

Jean wiped her face with her hand. “Okay.”

“Great. Is that the end of the interview, then?”

“Yeah.” Jean nodded as she stood up and picked up her pencil and notebook. Then her ears perked up again. “The teacher said next week we might do a follow-up interview with more questions. You’ll do that too, right?”

Dave sighed. “Yeah, sure. Just let me know.”

Jean bounced off to her room, back in her regular mood. He shook his head. Better be prepared for that, then.

Now, though, he needed to change his jeans and make another cup of coffee.

(Anyone making questions for Dave, you don't actually have to make them fit into the context of that follow-up interview unless you want to. If they'd make more sense in some other context, I'll write some other context.)

To Andrew (Omegagoldfish): You've mentioned Lriba a couple of times. Can you describe in your own words who he is and why you and your people hate him?