• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Characters hated for odd reasons?

LazySpy

Kimty
Goh for being a ‘psychopath’, ‘poacher’, ‘bully’ or whatever colourful label people like to throw at him nowadays
Is it bad that I hate Goh and the writers for not allowing Ash to catch anything even more now? I can think of at least a thousand ways to painfully torture them.

LazySpy

Kimty
Imagine getting 8 likes on this post

But that would never happen here aye
Speaking of that, is anyone else getting really fed up with the constant spamming of copypastas amongst southpaw's community? Like genuinely I have no idea what they see in these copypastas, especially if they're willing to accept the criticisms of equally immature jokes.

Ryker101

Speaking of that, is anyone else getting really fed up with the constant spamming of copypastas amongst southpaw's community? Like genuinely I have no idea what they see in these copypastas, especially if they're willing to accept the criticisms of equally immature jokes.
Part of me thinks this is a copypasta as well lol

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
1. Serena for having a crush, even tho its ONE aspect of her. a Character being multi dimensional doesnt make it bad. Love u forever.
2. Iris for becoming a champion. Shes OP.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I haven’t seen somebody this but I do think a small sect of the fandom hates Lillie for no reason. I’m not saying a huge portion but there are people out there.

This specific subset of people believe that just because she was brought up in privilege that she automatically is being a brat whenever she discusses something that Lusamine does that makes her upset. First of all that should be normal. A child should feel comfortable expressing to their parent their feelings. Also it’s possible that a person meets your needs finically but not emotionally and Lusamine did that. Lillie isn’t a brat because she expressed that.

Lusamine was neglectful just not in the vindictive rude way she was in the games.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I haven’t seen somebody this but I do think a small sect of the fandom hates Lillie for no reason. I’m not saying a huge portion but there are people out there.

This specific subset of people believe that just because she was brought up in privilege that she automatically is being a brat whenever she discusses something that Lusamine does that makes her upset. First of all that should be normal. A child should feel comfortable expressing to their parent their feelings. Also it’s possible that a person meets your needs finically but not emotionally and Lusamine did that. Lillie isn’t a brat because she expressed that.

Lusamine was neglectful just not in the vindictive rude way she was in the games.
Just because Parents want the best for you and aren't evil psychopaths doesn't mean they cannot be displayed as being toxic or neglectful
In fact one of SM's biggest strengths for me has been them doing this unique taste on the games story and showing another side of a toxic parent and redeeming said parent while focusing heavily on the family, something the original games gave no conclusion to and something USUM did weirdly and incompletely as well
Sure people are fine to dislike it coz they wanted a direct adaptation of the games story, which was still amazing and imo the best writing behind BW games
But the animes take on it is still pretty amazing for me and I like they went with another valid take on this to add to the games rather than straight up copy it and rip it off

Sham

The Guardian of War
Just because Parents want the best for you and aren't evil psychopaths doesn't mean they cannot be displayed as being toxic or neglectful
In fact one of SM's biggest strengths for me has been them doing this unique taste on the games story and showing another side of a toxic parent and redeeming said parent while focusing heavily on the family, something the original games gave no conclusion to and something USUM did weirdly and incompletely as well
Sure people are fine to dislike it coz they wanted a direct adaptation of the games story, which was still amazing and imo the best writing behind BW games
But the animes take on it is still pretty amazing for me and I like they went with another valid take on this to add to the games rather than straight up copy it and rip it off
People never know what they want direct adaptations of. They wanted the AF to be fully adapted and BW but then was happy when XY didn’t do that. They didn’t want Ash winning the Alola league adapted and being the first winner (like in the games) and didn’t want Iris becoming Champion like she is in the games. I’ve given up at this point trying to do the math.

Complained about Kukui not being “in” the league to discredit SM’s league while also not acknowledging he battles the player in the games.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
People never know what they want direct adaptations of. They wanted the AF to be fully adapted and BW but then was happy when XY didn’t do that. They didn’t want Ash winning the Alola league adapted and being the first winner (like in the games) and didn’t want Iris becoming Champion like she is in the games. I’ve given up at this point trying to do the math.

Complained about Kukui not being “in” the league to discredit SM’s league while also not acknowledging he battles the player in the games.
I think in case of BW its more that the story they came up with was ultimately so uninteresting and boring compared to the absolutely incredible game story that it left people blue balled
XY's game story on the other hand was boring to many (Although personally I LOVE the AZ lore and wish it someday comes into the anime in some form) so they were happy it didnt get adapted
For SM people want it to be adapted coz of the great story but many people also loved the anime's take on it so we have a faction who felt blue balled and a faction that are happy

Sham

The Guardian of War
I think in case of BW its more that the story they came up with was ultimately so uninteresting and boring compared to the absolutely incredible game story that it left people blue balled
XY's game story on the other hand was boring to many (Although personally I LOVE the AZ lore and wish it someday comes into the anime in some form) so they were happy it didnt get adapted
For SM people want it to be adapted coz of the great story but many people also loved the anime's take on it so we have a faction who felt blue balled and a faction that are happy
I think what I was trying to convey is that people should accept the fact that the anime does both. That’s why the AF arc wasn’t adapted and the same goes with the XY arc. Somethings they take from the games completely and others they don’t

DatsRight

That's more on the writing then Goh tho

The same happened with Mallow and no one hates her for it
It was a bit annoying with Mallow until they actually gave her a warranty on it in the league.

Granted the bigger critique with Mallow was her doing next to nothing in the first place.

Goh's lack of challenge and a consistent experience progression is also irritating at times, but I feel like he is at least more involved and they have tried to improve on his agency as they went along. He's also been allowed to get his butt kicked if he wasn't good enough SOMETIMES. I feel like the bigger issue with Goh is sheer inconsistency rather than writers never trying at all, though I could argue this is true with most of the other companions. Even Ash at his most competent got plot armoured to victory several times.

The whole thing with him capturing in spades I actually struggle to get annoyed with since capturing is such a non-effort in the anime anyway. Mallow also got a mythical super easy before Ash did and that wasn't a bother either, largely because Ash had never really TRIED to catch one before, and when he finally got one it was similarly pretty much handed to him.

Last edited:

Bendicion

Water Master
The issue with Misty back then was that the writers couldn’t find much leeway in her initial goal of being the strongest Water Type Trainer so they didn’t do much with it.
Yeah but she does have some inner growth and competes in more water Pokémon related activities as the show goes on. It’s not much because the OS was solely focused on Ash. She still entered various other competitions like pokemon race in Kanto which Ash won with Rapidash, tournament to get Togepi, Alto Mare race, battled water gym leader Dorian, Seaking Competition, won Princess festival which played important part in her storyline giving us insight in why doll set is so important for her etc. When she was forced to go back to Cerulean Gym, the original narrator constantly referred her as an aspiring Water Pokemon Master and not Gym Leader.

She specializes in water-type pokemon,she actually felt like a tomboy
How tf is Misty a tomboy? Shes not a tomboy at all. Misty loves shopping, finds bug types "gross, creepy, disgusting" hid behind Ash and Brock lots of times, gladly skipped out on doing guys work, wanted dolls, wanted cute Pokémon, interested in romance, jewelry, fortune telling & liked dressing up. Her mermaid costume is extremely feminine too.

DatsRight

won Princess festival which played important part in her storyline giving us insight in why doll set is so important for her etc.
I feel like that moment didn't work out great though, largely because they bothered to make Jessie's insight more sympathetic and less petty than Misty's. Jessie didn't get a single one as a child. Misty just got LESS than her sisters, and only wanted the dolls to rub in their face. It was a filler moment either way and it's not like the dolls are remotely important after.

Not to mention her victory was driven by loaning Ash and Brock's Pokemon, besides Psyduck who dumb lucked her a win for the billionth time (I get Staryu and Starmie weren't particularly interesting Pokemon but it would have been nice to show Misty using her own Pokemon competently more often rather than consistently using that freaking duck's running gag).

Jessie loaned Pokemon as well, but at least used two of her own Pokemon properly (and was kind of at a hinderance because Meowth, unlike Psyduck, was incompetent in a less convinient way).

Last edited:

Bendicion

Water Master
largely because they bothered to make Jessie's insight more sympathetic and less petty than Misty's. Jessie didn't get a single one as a child.
Jessie's Beautifly-loving behaviour was funny and much more sympathetic than May's generic reasons for wanting one. Jessie just can't have everything can't she?

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
How tf is Misty a tomboy? Shes not a tomboy at all. Misty loves shopping, finds bug types "gross, creepy, disgusting" hid behind Ash and Brock lots of times, gladly skipped out on doing guys work, wanted dolls, wanted cute Pokémon, interested in romance, jewelry, fortune telling & liked dressing up. Her mermaid costume is extremely feminine too.

Because for some ungodly reason, people think Hot Tempered = Tomboy

These same people think Sakura from Naruto is a Tomboy despite Pink, Romance, and Shopping being some of her favorite interests lmao

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
The weirdest thing I ever saw a character get hated for was because of *me*. Because I really like Lawrence from the second movie, people decided to utterly despise him because they didn't like me.