• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Character's Personalities That you Enjoyed the Most (Humans and Pokemon)

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I like the humorous/gag starters, even though the downside to them is they rarely evolve or become strong. I still like them though! In the first five generations, it was the water starter. Since then, it's been the grass starter. When will it be the fire starter? While Litten did have some gags and humor, Rowlet is the overall gag starter of this gen.

In terms of Pokémon, the one whose personality I most enjoyed was Ash’s Gliscor. Not only was he reliable in battle, but his humorous and emotional nature (along with his adorable English dub voice) made him a joy to watch.

As for humans, I’d have to say Lana. She may not be the most developed human character of the show, but I love her quirky personality. Her demeanor seems to shift like the tides, and her playful trickster attitude is very enjoyable.

Until your post, I've always thought Ash's Gliscor is a girl. Then I went and checked it. And turns out it's unknown. lol

Cilan: I know I’m in the minority, but I’m a sucker for all his quirks; they’re entertaining and refreshing.

I actually think a lot of people do like Cilan. There's a bunch of general hatred towards BW and Iris that can make it seem like people didn't like Cilan either, but I don't think that's the case or that you're necessarily in the minority. I was actually really sad when Cilan left, as i had thought he had a chance to stay as Brock had done.

I am a sucker for any kid who is afraid of pokemon, especially Tory Lund.

What are your thoughts on the kid in the Froakie vs. Sylveon episode?

Braixen: Another surprise addition, but I loved the closeness between Serena and her Braixen. She started off as an unlikable, snobby Pokémon, but she grew along with Serena once they found a dream they both wanted to pursue.

Braixen is truly just Serena in Pokémon form, and I'm glad she didn't evolve into Delphox. Although, it would be nice if a girl besides May got a fully evolved starter, and once again it doesn't really seem like Lana's going to end that.

I hate Ossawoth, but I like Chespin

Is it because Oshawott was owned by Ash and cost him battles? Because in terms of personality, the two you mention here are very similar.

Oshowatt-Funny guy, for some reason i liked his bickering with pignite over food

I agree, but I also think the gag was done better in the next generation with Chespin and Pancham.

He's the most skilled trainer/battler ever shown in the entire anime barring elite four and champions.

What do you think his record would be against Noland? Tobias? Alain? I also don't see how you can make this claim when we saw him get destroyed by Brandon and never rematch.

entertaining and worked in spite of that

in spite of that? To me, it was largely entertaining because of that

DatsRight

I agree, but I also think the gag was done better in the next generation with Chespin and Pancham.

Probably because as Pignite developed and Oshawott stayed a butt monkey, it became more one sided against the latter, while Chespin and Pancham both stayed unevolved buffoons so both continued dishing out as much as they take. Even handed comedic rivalries actually tend to be kinda rare in the show, which is a shame because I always love when two fall guys go at it.

I like Turtonator vs Marowak for similar reasons. Oddly you'd think Turtonator would own Marowak at every turn, but the latter tends to pose as his annoying little brother and constantly trying to scrap with him or get his attention. Also despite the headbutt running gag, their interactions aren't too repetitive and there are signs they care about each other.

Rowlet vs Bounsweet-Steenee-Tsareena is probably the most monotonous rivalry gag, since it is literally nothing but Rowlet being attracted by Sweet Scent and getting whacked for it. Not even any variations or deconstructions of the gag.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Sorry for being late lol. Anyway

Humans:

AG Ash: Cool outfit + having a good mix of traits like recklessness and such while also being a competent battler. His team isn't the strongest but I do like the Pokemon all the same.

Delia Ketchum: Aside from having one of the best Pokemon characters period, seeing her always makes me happy in whatever episodes she is in (even more smaller appearances like the last XY episode). And her love for Litten was cute too. :p

TR: Even though I don't like Jessie a lot, I can't bring myself to hate TR. They have that certain charm to them that, if we had a series without them, would be lost in the show. I do like BW TR but OS and SM TR are my favorite incarnations.

Brock: Despite his treatment in DP, he will always be my favorite male companion. Guy with a lot of charm and humorous moments throughout his run while also being a good battler too.

Misty: While not the best developed character, her chemistry with Ash and Brock will always be memorable to me and had some fun moments in all that.

Dawn: Her Pokemon are another story but I liked her development the most out of any Pokegirl. That and she had some hilarious moments like erupting in a fiery rage against Paul in Ash's first gym battle against Roark lol.

Cilan: Hilarious guy with decent Pokemon alongside his chemistry with Ash and Iris. I liked those episodes where he would team up with Ash such as the double capture episode. Brock is still on top but I wouldn't mind seeing him again in another future series if possible.

Kiawe: Imo he strikes a good balance of seriousness and a humorous side. "Crystal-Clear Sleuthing" will always be one of my favorite SM episodes simply because how Kiawe acted in the whole episode. Don't think I laughed in a episode that good in a long time, haha.

Mallow: Despite being very underused, I think what saves her for me is her bubbly and bright personality. I don't know, she just reminds me of one of those people that are easily approachable irl that you can talk to and have a good time without any arguing lol (and I do like how she is like a mother of sorts in the group at times). They should have made her the deuteragonist instead of Lillie (keep Kiawe!) tbh

Other human characters I like are Gary, Paul, Stephan, Kukui, and that fisherman in the Totem Wishiwashi episode.

Pokemon:

Charizard: It's more of a childhood thing but even with how he was handled in BW (and in the battle against Brandon) I will always like Ash's Charizard a lot. Strong Pokemon with some funny moments sprinkled in (like him breathing fire on Ash's face) will always make him memorable for me.

Mimey: Like Delia, Mimey always is nice to see due to his fun self. If only Ash could use him in a future series, that alongside with some good companions, would make it my favorite in an instant ngl

Kingler: Well he does have an enjoyable personality of course but I just wanted to include him because I like the Pokemon in general :I

Psyduck: Loved his interactions with Misty a ton and was just a funny Pokemon throughout OS. I liked how in SM, they made him more obedient to Misty's commands too.

All of Ash's AG Pokemon pre-BF: Hard to describe all of them at once but each had some unique quirk or was a battler I enjoyed in that altogether, made it my favorite team of Ash's to date. If I had to choose one though, it would be his Corphish!

Ambipom: Probably was the only Pokemon I truly liked out of Dawn's team before being released. She was a lovable character and I wish we could see her again. :(

Gliscor: I already liked the species before Ash caught it but even then, Gliscor was a fun Pokemon with a lot of personality. On top of that, I just liked Ash having a flying scorpion on his team haha.

Scraggy: While he was indeed weak, his personality made up for it a ton. I especially enjoyed how he headbutted Burgundy when she evaluated him.

Krookodile: Awesome design and cool personality made him my favorite of Ash's Pokemon tied with Scraggy. I also liked how shy he would be when he lost his sunglasses as a Sandile/Krokorok.

Dragonite: A fresh breath of air from the happy Dragonite we were used to, he was a Pokemon I didn't mind Iris having. Plus even if he isn't fully obedient towards Iris, I still enjoyed how tough of a Pokemon he is like his battle against Mamoswine (when you can tank an Ice type attack like that, you earn my respect lol).

Hawlucha: My favorite XY anime Pokemon! Such a cool and helpful Pokemon and I liked his fighting spirit a lot. His interactions with Noivern were cute too.

Alolan Marowak: Him and Turtonator have some of the best chemistry in a Pokemon duo in the series imo and I like his reckless nature. Bonus points to him whacking Kiawe that one time where he lost to Brock lol.

Other Pokemon I like are Bulbasaur, Ludicolo, Sudowoodo, Forretress, Gible, Snivy, Leavanny, All of Cilan's Pokemon, Bunnelby, Lycanroc, Torracat, Rowlet, Turtonator, and Tsareena.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I will also add some more names-
Drew- By far the greatest rival of any companion who is not ash ever had. This guy served pretty much served as catalyst of may's character development.
Harley & Ursula- Antgonistic rivals for may and dawn
Anabel- Strongest female girl trainer in the series to date since all the other strong females are grown up, her mind communication with pokemon was interesting and is used in future also. Her interactions with ash were also very good.
Volkner- Probably my all time favourite gym leader, his match and conversation with ash also was very good

Pokemon-
Infernape- I like ash- paul- infernape rivalry triangle, and the character development he got was also some of the best of this series overall.
lycannroc- Still early and could go on furthur but ula ula island arc was good character devlopment for him and his feud with torracat is also great.
Corphish and quilava- Two of ash's most underrated pokemon ever, had good personality in there own series.

Nodame

Misty <3
Humans:
I like OS Ash and Misty for everything.
Lillie for her naive personality. May in her early journey, and I think Veronica Tailor did an amazing job with the voice. I enjoyed Dawn’s contests and Pokémon. Brock was great too.

Pretty much this, the others are either I dislike or aren’t memorable enough for me to mention them.

Pokémon:
It’s the main reason I watch Pokémon nowadays.

Ash’s Chikorita was lovely, I did not care for it when it evolved. Togepi is second best, I also wished it never evolved. I like Ash’s bulbasaur for his loyality. Squirtle as well. And Poipole for bringing me joy.
Misty’s Psyduck was iconic as well. I like Staryu too.I like all Dawn’s Pokémon and for May, I enjoyed Skitty and Beautifuly the most. I enjoyed Iris’s Emolga as well, and Brock’s Vulpix.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I like Staryu too.
Could you please remind me of any notable Staryu personality moments? I just don't remember any.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Okay i have forgotten some names-
N- I think the saving grace of team plasma arc and his interactions with ash were the best interactions ash got in whole unnova region. I wish he comes back for a cameo. One of my all time favourite supporting characters
James- As an individual character he is fantastic, he left his house to be free which is a big sacrifice i mean not many people are ggoing to leave royalty. Also i think he is most gentle and level headed member of TR trio.
Brandon-Strongest trainer ash ever defeated, the way he handled regigiggas issue was also good. And his noooooooo phrase is just iconic.

Nodame

Misty <3
Could you please remind me of any notable Staryu personality moments? I just don't remember any.
Strayu is appealing to me because I like its bond with Misty, she uses often and its her main battling/signature/favorite Pokemon throughout most of the series. She also favors it more than Starmie. And also it's a nice touch that Misty is able to recognize its emotions and feelings even without having a face. Overall, I am impressed. I like Starmie more in general as a Pokemon.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Your thread is broken. Nobody mentioned Ash's Totodile yet.
Actually, in my post, I said "I like the humorous/gag starters, which in the first five generations was the water starter."

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
My favourite is probably the type who can be comic relief and can kick ass at the same time (Squirtle, Heracross, Gliscor etc)

I think ash's squirlte was the one pokemon whose personality was closest to ash out of all ash's pokemon that he had in OS even more than pikachu, bulbasaur and charizard.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I liked practically all the main human characters but Max. I'm neutral about the majority of the Pokémon but the ones that stick out to me that I liked the most was Pikachu, Rowlet, Bayleef, Snivy, Charizard, Totodile, Hawlucha, Rockruff, Litten, and Oshawott. I did enjoy Corphish, Trecko, and Snorutt until he became an emotionless Glalie.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I liked practically all the main human characters but Max. I'm neutral about the majority of the Pokémon but the ones that stick out to me that I liked the most was Pikachu, Rowlet, Bayleef, Snivy, Charizard, Totodile, Hawlucha, Rockruff, Litten, and Oshawott. I did enjoy Corphish, Trecko, and Snorutt until he became an emotionless Glalie.

I wouldn't call glalie emotionless, it still had that snorunt playfull personality like he freezed ash in that sinnoh episode before the league, i think its less personality is due to its lack of its screentime i think it stayed with the group for 20-25 episodes and 5-6 episodes as a glalie.

DatsRight

I wouldn't call glalie emotionless, it still had that snorunt playfull personality like he freezed ash in that sinnoh episode before the league, i think its less personality is due to its lack of its screentime i think it stayed with the group for 20-25 episodes and 5-6 episodes as a glalie.

Glalie has an absurdly different design from Snorunt, making it hard to translate the same personality. There's a lot of other Pokemon who sadly lose a similar appeal from evolving (though props to some like Lycanroc and Goodra keeping MOST of their old personality despite evolving).

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Snorunt became a floating iceball, never to spin around and move again.