• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Characters Speculation/Discussion Thread [USE SPOILER TAGS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilpulp

美的
I do wonder about how the whole group of friends thing will work out. I think it is weird how Trevor just has 4 PokeDexes on hand. He could be like the Professor's son.
But who knows who will get the 3 starters.

I agree, it's possible he's the professor's son. It would be cool to have a professor that doubles as a champion/e4 member/gym leader, to make things different. It'd be cool to battle the person who gave you the pokemon to start your adventure, and sweep their whole team :p I hope this regions professor is interesting this time around (if there even is one). Maybe the professor is part of a evil team, and gives you a stolen pokemon? :eek:, just an idea :p

Mystic Flygon

I'm more interested in what this professor's field of study will be. I always wanted an archeologist professor, France is well known for it's cave paintings and tar pits so I have high hopes this generation.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
OH MY ARCEUS! I just realized, if GF wants this to be about connections with other people, what better way then with a love interest. Think about, Shauna is very cheerful around the player (but then again this could mean nothing since i'm cheerful around my bros all the time, but i digress) and she seems to have more of a connection with them, and with serena in the mix, LOVE TRIANGLE GALORE.

Shauna gets jealous, thinking that YOU are more attracted to Serena because look at her she's pretty, confident, and a better battler than she. Shauna in a desperate attempt to gain your affections joins team_______, with the promise of more power. Serena ends up helping you to slowly dismantle the team on your travels, causing you both to grow ever closer, driving Shauna further and further over the brink as she realizes her "love" is drifting away from her. So, as you both battle the team for the last time, she reveals to have been your evil twin sister Juandisimo working for the evil team this whole time and confesses her love to you.

this is a childs video game about catching and raising monsters not a Mexican soap opera also how would that work if you pick the female character

Tickle Me Cooper

A Black Protagonist
I agree, it's possible he's the professor's son. It would be cool to have a professor that doubles as a champion/e4 member/gym leader, to make things different. It'd be cool to battle the person who gave you the pokemon to start your adventure, and sweep their whole team :p I hope this regions professor is interesting this time around (if there even is one). Maybe the professor is part of a evil team, and gives you a stolen pokemon? :eek:, just an idea :p

I don't get all this hubbub about Trevor being related to the professor. Why can't his personality just dictate him giving the group their Pokedex's? Maybe they're changing up the format a little. Maybe Pokedex's are given out differently now. Maybe the Professor doesn't live in the town you live in. Maybe he got the Pokedex's from his school. Maybe the Professor just simply asks Trevor to hand out the Dex's.

I'm more interested in what this professor's field of study will be. I always wanted an archeologist professor, France is well known for it's cave paintings and tar pits so I have high hopes this generation.

That really wouldn't make sense... Archeologists study human activity, not animal (or in this case, Pokemon) activity. They're Pokemon professors, after all. The closest thing you'll probably get to an archeologist in Pokemon will come from the ones in the Ruins of Alph. Perhaps even in Cythia, though she's more of a mythologist than an archaologist.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
I honestly don't think that anyone besides the player and Serena/Calem will get a started. Tierno, Shauna, and Trevor seem to be three equally important trainers who's interests aren't strictly battling, so I don't think Gamefreak would choose a "favorite" to get a starter. That being said, it makes even less sense for them to ALL have a starter. Firstly, one starter will be left out anyway, and secondly there are two duplicates. Also, starters are supposed to be rare. In theory, you're supposed to be LUCKY to have gotten one. They aren't this plentiful bunch, rich in supply. Having multiple in one game owned by characters this important ruins the individuality of both the Pokemon AND the trainer.

No, I think Tierno, Shauna, and Trevor will have their own Pokemon that aren't starters. Notice how Tierno is wearing a shirt with a Vanillite and Shauna bears a resemblance to a Gothorita. I wouldn't be surprised if those two got Pokemon from that line and Trevor got a Pokemon from Kalos that he was designed to have traits of. Or maybe he get's a Porygon. Maybe a Ralts. (Which is sort of resembles, though wally had one) Maybe even Fletchling.

No because if i remember correctly in kanto we saw several people with a bulbasuar one of which was on the way to ( um where surges gym is) then in johto ( at least teh remake) we fought quite alot of people who had kanto starters which also included red and blue not to mention you get some of your own from oak and Steven

I love how Serena has automatically be given the rival role instead of a possible player on this Serebi forum XD it must be strange to call Calem a possible rival, huh? Does this make her the first official full time girl rival then?

No biaanca and may were both rivals ( altough crappy ones that gave up real quick )

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
No because if i remember correctly in kanto we saw several people with a bulbasuar one of which was on the way to ( um where surges gym is) then in johto ( at least teh remake) we fought quite alot of people who had kanto starters which also included red and blue not to mention you get some of your own from oak and Steven

No biaanca and may were both rivals ( altough crappy ones that gave up real quick )

*Sarcastically- I think the place you're talking about is Vermilion City

Pilpulp

美的
On the pokemon website, under a picture of Shauna it says "Shauna will push you to decide on a nickname before the group parts ways". Then, the in-game picture shows Shauna saying "Ok! (Musical note) X-Meister fits you perfectly!"

Nickname for what? She says "you", referring to the protagonist, not a Pokemon. It's also not asking for your name. Any ideas? I might be over thinking this though : P

*If it's a nickname for the character what would it be used for?

Last edited:

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
*Sarcastically- I think the place you're talking about is Vermilion City

knew it started with a v xD anyway also erika had a turtwig so starters aren't all that rare

Mystic Flygon

I don't get all this hubbub about Trevor being related to the professor. Why can't his personality just dictate him giving the group their Pokedex's? Maybe they're changing up the format a little. Maybe Pokedex's are given out differently now. Maybe the Professor doesn't live in the town you live in. Maybe he got the Pokedex's from his school. Maybe the Professor just simply asks Trevor to hand out the Dex's.

That really wouldn't make sense... Archeologists study human activity, not animal (or in this case, Pokemon) activity. They're Pokemon professors, after all. The closest thing you'll probably get to an archeologist in Pokemon will come from the ones in the Ruins of Alph. Perhaps even in Cythia, though she's more of a mythologist than an archaologist.

He/ she could study how early humans and pokemon interacted between one another, or how humans and pokemon bonded before pokeball technology. There are a lot of ways they could incorporate it so it makes sense

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
i don't even think we have a professor your friends cover all the bases someone gives you a pokedex one gives you the pokemon one asks your name ( naming time) but i could be wrong anyway the rival i don't see with a starter is the one who just wants to boogie ( dance) while between the four of you one will get the exact same as you one will get the stronger and one will get the weaker and that is how i guess it happening.

@ gold i am not good with names today xD

Tickle Me Cooper

A Black Protagonist

Two things. First and most importantly, the player character is always the most important person in the world. Any "special treatment" (s)he gets is just that. That includes getting a starter, which is, as I said, rare and special. That includes Red. Blue was the only rival and grandson of a professor. Special. Giovani's son stole his. May/Brandon was the son of a professor. Special. Lucas/Dawn is the professor's assistant. Special. Barry was just in the wrong place at the right time. Lucky. Lyra is the only other trainer who lives in the same town as the regional professor elm. Privileged. Same for BWB2W2. Special. When you get a starter from Steven, you've become champion of two regions and have gotten 16 badges AND having defeated Red, who was also an all important player character who was also champion of two regions. And you're a player character. Special.
That clear? Okay.

Two, random npc's don't count. They just don't simple as that. They may have a similar story of how they got theirs, but most don't have one and if they do, it doesn't matter because they are random and only there to fill your dex. And it's not "tons of people" or "quite a lot." It's one or two or three in a game, if any. Like at all.

OH MY ARCEUS! I just realized, if GF wants this to be about connections with other people, what better way then with a love interest. Think about, Shauna is very cheerful around the player (but then again this could mean nothing since i'm cheerful around my bros all the time, but i digress) and she seems to have more of a connection with them, and with serena in the mix, LOVE TRIANGLE GALORE.

Shauna gets jealous, thinking that YOU are more attracted to Serena because look at her she's pretty, confident, and a better battler than she. Shauna in a desperate attempt to gain your affections joins team_______, with the promise of more power. Serena ends up helping you to slowly dismantle the team on your travels, causing you both to grow ever closer, driving Shauna further and further over the brink as she realizes her "love" is drifting away from her. So, as you both battle the team for the last time, she reveals to have been your evil twin sister Juandisimo working for the evil team this whole time and confesses her love to you.

...No.

Though I can see them hinting flirtation or something, it will never go this far. First off, and this is important, Shauna looks like she's 9-10. She looks MUCH younger than the player who looks like 14-15-16. That would be creepy. Secondly, Gamefreak knows it's audience, and it knows how creepy an adult male would feel if he was forced to be in a love triangle with someone that young. I can see Calem and Serena being at least hinted in the same way that Link and Zelda get hinted and it's sweet, but nothing more than that. Epecially in a game like this where's you're playing as yourself as opposed to Link where he's a character you're role playing as. Even then, I'd see it only a one way thing, because they'd have to factor in the whole "what if (s)he doesn't like him/her back" scenario. No... There'll be non of this at all.

Mystic Flygon

Two things. First and most importantly, the player character is always the most important person in the world. Any "special treatment" (s)he gets is just that. That includes getting a starter, which is, as I said, rare and special. That includes Red. Blue was the only rival and grandson of a professor. Special. Giovani's son stole his. May/Brandon was the son of a professor. Special. Lucas/Dawn is the professor's assistant. Special. Barry was just in the wrong place at the right time. Lucky. Lyra is the only other trainer who lives in the same town as the regional professor elm. Privileged. Same for BWB2W2. Special. When you get a starter from Steven, you've become champion of two regions and have gotten 16 badges AND having defeated Red, who was also an all important player character who was also champion of two regions. And you're a player character. Special.
That clear? Okay.

Two, random npc's don't count. They just don't simple as that. They may have a similar story of how they got theirs, but most don't have one and if they do, it doesn't matter because they are random and only there to fill your dex. And it's not "tons of people" or "quite a lot." It's one or two or three in a game, if any. Like at all.

The anime shows kids getting new starters all the time, it's extremely common. Game canon also references this since in D/P/Pt the opposite gender character talks about how "If you chose *insert starter here* you would have the same as me." Indicating that Rowan gives away starter pokemon rather commonly. You get your starter because your character is of age/ ready to begin there adventure not because they are something special.

Tickle Me Cooper

A Black Protagonist
He/ she could study how early humans and pokemon interacted between one another, or how humans and pokemon bonded before pokeball technology. There are a lot of ways they could incorporate it so it makes sense

Yeah, but the point is with archeology, the focus is on the humans, not the Pokemon. It wouldn't make sense. Professor Oak already studies Pokemon and human relations, and Juniper already studies Pokemon origins. Professor Oak is probably the closest you're going to get to an archeologist since his field probably required him to study past relationships as well. Even still, that isn't archeologist. There are still archeologists in the Pokemon, just non that would make sense in the context that these game portray them. Maybe there will be an important archeologist character. It just wouldn't be the professor who gives you starter Pokemon and Pokedex. It literally doesn't make sense.

The anime shows kids getting new starters all the time, it's extremely common. Game canon also references this since in D/P/Pt the opposite gender character talks about how "If you chose *insert starter here* you would have the same as me." Indicating that Rowan gives away starter pokemon rather commonly. You get your starter because your character is of age/ ready to begin there adventure not because they are something special.

Games =/= Anime, first off.

Game canon also references this since in D/P/Pt the opposite gender character talks about how "If you chose *insert starter here* you would have the same as me." Indicating that Rowan gives away starter pokemon rather commonly.

No, no that doesn't indicate anything of the sort. It indicates that the privileged assistant of a world famous Pokemon professor got a rare Pokemon from the same world famous Pokemon professor. Nothing in that indicates him ever giving a starter Pokemon to anyone.

You get your starter Pokemon because you're the professors neighbor who grew up with his grandson (RBGYFRLG) or because you're his neighbor (GSCHGSS) or because your father is a famous gym leader who knows him (RSE) or because you lucked out and accidentally stole/borrowed them to defend yourself (DP) or because you ran into a famous professor and after thinking hard about weather he should give such rare Pokemon to two random trainers, got lucky (Pt) or because you are, again, the professors neighbor (BW) or because your mother is a longtime friend of the professor. (B2W2)
These are all special circumstances. If what you're saying were true, EVERY trainer aside from maybe gym leaders and the Elite Four would have a starter and a Pokedex. But they don't, because they are hard to come by and your player character is SPECIAL.

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Does anyone else think that it is odd that when Serena/Calem play the role of one of your rivals, they don't have a hat? I guess it isn't a huge deal, but it does bother me just a little. I have become so accustomed to their official artwork, which includes their hats, that it just throws me off. I realize that with character customization, I should have more of an open mind. I'm sure I will get over it. The games look awesome regardless. Most excited I have been about Pokemon game in years!

Yeah, it's kinda odd. I wonder if we'll ever going to know the reason.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

No, they're in the games, so they're canon, so they count.

Yeah, it's kinda odd. I wonder if we'll ever going to know the reason.

EDIT: What R_N said.

Tickle Me Cooper

A Black Protagonist
No, they're in the games, so they're canon, so they count.

No, they don't. Not in the light of story or importance, they don't. They're insignificant. They don't matter. They're replaceable. The are as canon as the third tree tile on the right. It's always there. You know it's here. Do you care that it's there? No. They don't count in the context I was taking about, which was giving starter Pokemon to IMPORTANT characters. Know what you're talking about before commenting.

Last edited:

ZXChris93

No, they don't. Not in the light of story or importance, they don't. They're insignificant. They don't matter. They're replaceable. The are as canon as the third tree tile on the right. It's always there. You know it's here. Do you care that it's there? No. They don't count in the context I was taking about, which was giving starter Pokemon to IMPORTANT characters. Know what you're talking about before commenting.

There's random trainers in the kanto and johto games that have starters....

Status
Not open for further replies.