• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Characters Speculation/Discussion Thread [USE SPOILER TAGS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatedSunOne

Like A Rockefeller
Guys. I'm sorry but you're exaggerating the romance issue too much, in my honest opinion.

After all, this is a Pokemon game. Obviously, there won't be any sexual relations referencing Sims WooHoo. This actually is a very interesting idea. Once you develop more relationship, it might lead you to achieve much things in game perhaps. Such as, Calem or Serena might give you the mega stones they found during their journey, can give TM's or useful items and such. There are lots of possibilities. And, one more thing. We're already commonly know the romance issue in anime, even since when we were children. Every episode from the beginning, they introduced Brock as being a hopeless romantic and getting refused afterwards. We even know that this happened for once in Battle Frontier episode with Lucy feeling the same attraction to Brock.

So after all, if it has already been put in anime which owns a great community, I don't think the romantic relationship in games would harm or disappoint anyone, especially children.

Someone hand this user a cookie. I find it far from flattering that people are taking a cute romance idea and turning it into a seething sexual debate...I've seen threads get taken down for people blowing this far out of proportion.

Why are folks looking into this so...critically? Character romance is nothing new to JRPGs at all, and as this is an E-rated game GF doesn't expect you to throw Serena/Calem/Shauna/Tierno into a bedroom with them. And I hate to say this, but homosexuality will find no place in this franchise unless they plan on adjusting their E-rated target audience--some games are banned explicitly for this material in videogames, in some countries.

Does that make it right? No, but it's just the way it is right now. Did gamers playing a the characters listed below share their player character's feelings for the character? I highly doubt it, but is it really worth turning into an argument over...? I don't say this to shoot down the opposing community, but kids are allowed to fall in love as much as we adults, and there are plenty examples of this in the anime.

Tidus/Yuna, Zidane/Dagger and Cloud/Aerith (and possibly Tifa) from Final Fantasy, Serge/Kid or Schala from Chrono Cross, Justin and Feena from the first Grandia...the list is absolutely endless. Did people complain about them in any of their games? If they did, they sure didn't do to the extremes some people seem to be taking this.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Someone hand this user a cookie. I find it far from flattering that people are taking a cute romance idea and turning it into a seething sexual debate...I've seen threads get taken down for people blowing this far out of proportion.

Why are folks looking into this so...critically? Character romance is nothing new to JRPGs at all, and as this is an E-rated game GF doesn't expect you to throw Serena/Calem/Shauna/Tierno into a bedroom with them. And I hate to say this, but homosexuality will find no place in this franchise unless they plan on adjusting their E-rated target audience--some games are banned explicitly for this material in videogames, in some countries.

Does that make it right? No, but it's just the way it is right now. Did gamers playing a the characters listed below share their player character's feelings for the character? I highly doubt it, but is it really worth turning into an argument over...? I don't say this to shoot down the opposing community, but kids are allowed to fall in love as much as we adults, and there are plenty examples of this in the anime.

Tidus/Yuna, Zidane/Dagger and Cloud/Aerith (and possibly Tifa) from Final Fantasy, Serge/Kid or Schala from Chrono Cross, Justin and Feena from the first Grandia...the list is absolutely endless. Did people complain about them in any of their games? If they did, they sure didn't do to the extremes some people seem to be taking this.

And on that note

As it turns out (according to Josh at least), it's actually Shauna who falls in love with your character, not the opposite-gender rival. So make of that what you guys will, I suppose.

Last edited:

diakyu

And on that note

As it turns out (according to Josh at least), it's actually Shauna who falls in love with your character, not the opposite-gendered rival. So make of that what you guys will, I suppose.
Uhhh, not that I recall. All I know about that was that one thread on vp that was hypothetical.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
And on that note

As it turns out (according to Josh at least), it's actually Shauna who falls in love with your character, not the opposite-gendered rival. So make of that what you guys will, I suppose.

Hope this is true. Then I will be able to play as Serena and have a character of the gender I am attracted to as my love interest.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
And on that note

If that is true then I will play as Serena in Pokemon Y version without question. I want to see what is said between Shauna and Serena if it's true.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Uhhh, not that I recall. All I know about that was that one thread on vp that was hypothetical.

Somebody on vp asked Josh if the opposite-gender rival showed any affection for your player, and he said no and that he'd already stated multiple times that it was Shauna who did (and, to be honest, out of Calem/Serena as you rival and Shauna, Shauna seems like the more probable candidate for a love story to me).

I think this whole issue could stand to be graced with some context, really.

diakyu

Somebody on vp asked Josh if the opposite-gender rival showed any affection for your player, and he said no and that he'd already stated multiple times that it was Shauna who did (and, to be honest, out of Calem/Serena as you rival and Shauna, Shauna seems like the more probable candidate for a love story to me).

I think this whole issue could stand to be graced with some context, really.
Wait, so who is it if you're the girl? I take it it's either Tierno or Trevor.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Wait, so who is it if you're the girl? I take it it's either Tierno or Trevor.

Maybe. I don't know. Josh is playing as Calem so there's no way to know for sure.

Hiss13

Psychic Lover
I take it there's no way to set off a flag for a homosexual relationship if you're a guy playing as a girl, huh? Guess I'll have to deal with it....

Aonshinzo

TheCoolestTentacool
So I watched a 15 minute video of the game's intro (I'm sorry I had to have just a little peak XD) to the game and I must say they nailed it. One thing struck out to me though, the characters actually talk like normal people and not literature robots. Your Mom says stuff like "Go for Broke" and Trevor was taking about something being "lowkey" not to "put him on the spot". Nice touch GF it adds to the realistic factor :D.

dman_dustin

I never understood something.

If Gamefreak hears a lot of complaints or suggestions.

WHY is that there still hasn't been a Dark type gym I mean is there too many people out there who don't care? I mean we have a WHOLE bunch of repeating types. I mean we've had so many combinations of other type gyms, I don't see why it would kill Gamefreak to give us ONE Dark gym. Seriously the [spoil]Grass or Ice[/spoil] gyms could have been replaced with a dark gym. Oh well.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTtqvTg4lyA

How amazing is the Gym Leader battle music for this game? The soundtrack is one of the things I'm most excited for! :D

So after all, the music is used for GYM Leader instead of GYM "Trainer". I'm pleased with the efficient battle style. My expectations are too high for these games.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Well, yes. We already know all the Leaders, and Valerie is the Fairy-type Leader, yes.

omg she looks so cute though :p i really want a cool image to make a banner of her but i can't find one *goes in corner crying*

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I never understood something.

If Gamefreak hears a lot of complaints or suggestions.

WHY is that there still hasn't been a Dark type gym I mean is there too many people out there who don't care? I mean we have a WHOLE bunch of repeating types. I mean we've had so many combinations of other type gyms, I don't see why it would kill Gamefreak to give us ONE Dark gym. Seriously the [spoil]Grass or Ice[/spoil] gyms could have been replaced with a dark gym. Oh well.

People make it out to be a bigger issue than it actually is. I highly doubt that ensuring that every type has a corresponding Gym is high on GF's priority list; they probably care more about which type can supply a better and/or more unique Gym puzzle than they do which type is actually used, and even that's just one possble factor.

Regality

Digital King
Olympia is a girl, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.