• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Characters Speculation/Discussion Thread [USE SPOILER TAGS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
I'm sure the story will revolve around new characters. All gens previous have done that. A lot of the old characters that show up will probably be after-game.

Exactly and if not then, most likely in the third installment of this gen. Certain characters would be expected but it probably depends on the story line in game or what areas/facilities are available post game.

Crystal Power

So we might get Corocoro scans on the 10th if we're lucky but it's usually on the 12th if what i heard is true!

What kind of characters are you hoping be revealed the most? Gym leaders, professor, rival, etc? I'd like to see some Gym leaders and the main protagonists official artwork and I'd be satisfied. Seeing more than that would be awesome though, I just know we can't see everything in one issue. :p

Last edited:

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Protags this month, gym leaders from August-October, after most of the game stuff is covered. Professor, Rival, Evil Team likely during April-May.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Could N mentioning 'a world without poke balls' be a reference to the player being able to have their pokemon behind them again? Doubtful, but they might do it anyway. It was an awesome mechanic.

I think he could make a cameo the next time he appears and mention how happy he is to see Pokemon walking with their trainers outside their Pokeballs, but that's about it, I don't think that really implies anything about the return of Pokemon following you.

So we might get Corocoro scans on the 10th if we're lucky but it's usually on the 12th if what i heard is true!

What kind of characters are you hoping be revealed the most? Gym leaders, professor, rival, etc? I'd like to see some Gym leaders and the main protagonists official artwork and I'd be satisfied. Seeing more than that would be awesome though, I just know we can't see everything in one issue. :p

I'm thinking this month we'll probably see concept art for the protagonists and maybe the Professor and Rival, and next month probably the evil team. We may see some gym leaders later.

diakyu

Next month is to early for the evil team if you ask me. However, I'm willing to bet that the professor and the rival will be showed next month. Heck, next month could be nothing but new pokemon since they have to stretch these reveals out.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster

I'd like to see official protagonist artwork, rival and evil team most. Gym Leaders, professor, chamipon and E4 can be held off. I'm actually not even that interested in the Gyms that much since I'm tired of the concept. So the protagonist, rival, and evil teams I want to see most. It would be nice to finally see the playable characters in official design.

SilverFox

So sly
I am quite the opposite from Platinum fan. Gym leaders are my favorite part. I hope they release one gym leader a month.

Aurath8

I'd like to see official protagonist artwork, rival and evil team most. Gym Leaders, professor, chamipon and E4 can be held off. I'm actually not even that interested in the Gyms that much since I'm tired of the concept. So the protagonist, rival, and evil teams I want to see most. It would be nice to finally see the playable characters in official design.

I agree with Silverfox. Gym leaders are the most eventful parts of the game besides beating the evil team, experiencing major plot points, a few cutscenes and of course the E4 and champion. I would like it if they mixed up the gyms more or otherwise made them larger. I'd like to have a gym leader whose gym takes place on and extends over an entire route or have gym thats interrupted by the evil team like the E4 in BW. Gen V was a step in the right direction concerning the sheer ambition of gyms particularly with BW2's puzzles. While some lacked puzzles entirely(I'm looking at you Roxie) Clay's and Skyla's gym were great.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I agree with Silverfox. Gym leaders are the most eventful parts of the game besides beating the evil team, experiencing major plot points, a few cutscenes and of course the E4 and champion. I would like it if they mixed up the gyms more or otherwise made them larger. I'd like to have a gym leader whose gym takes place on and extends over an entire route or have gym thats interrupted by the evil team like the E4 in BW. Gen V was a step in the right direction concerning the sheer ambition of gyms particularly with BW2's puzzles. While some lacked puzzles entirely(I'm looking at you Roxie) Clay's and Skyla's gym were great.

Sorry, but having played Pokemon since the days of Red and Blue, I have grown bored of Gym Leaders and which element type they use. They are basically the "Bosses" of Pokemon games. And while the puzzle solving of their Gyms can be very fun, I have grown bored of the overall formula of Gyms. Create some new type of boss/challenge in the games. They can still have puzzle aspects as those are fun but I'm tired of collecting 8 badges to go battle in a Pokemon League that I have very little interest in. It was fun the first three generations but when I reached Gen 4 I was like "Okay can we introduce some other kind of Pokemon battle quest with their own sets of bosses?" I don't hate Gym Leaders, I'm just really not that excited for them like I use to be. To anyone who knows me I am all about change when it comes to games, animes, and mangas, so I welcome all kinds of change as long as it's good. That's just my stance.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Most of the gym leaders aren't really that significant in the storyline (they have played a more active role lately, that is true, but few of them really have a significant role in the plot, usually just one or two moments in the game where they help you with the evil team), so I don't think they're really a priority. I think we will get to see a few more as we get closer and closer to the game's release.

Crystal Power

Wha!? You don't like Gyms??? Well someone on a different forum said the hope they completely remove Gyms. I just don't understand why though. I love Gyms and lately how they've been specially designed differently in each Gym (BW2 even had their own music). I mean if you're tired of Gyms aren't you also tired of Rivals, professors, champions, etc? Sorry i know it's your opinion and I respect that, I just love Gym leaders... *cries* T_T

I am quite the opposite from Platinum fan. Gym leaders are my favorite part. I hope they release one gym leader a month.
I hope we get a new Gym leader every month too.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Sorry, but having played Pokemon since the days of Red and Blue, I have grown bored of Gym Leaders and which element type they use. They are basically the "Bosses" of Pokemon games. And while the puzzle solving of their Gyms can be very fun, I have grown bored of the overall formula of Gyms. Create some new type of boss/challenge in the games. They can still have puzzle aspects as those are fun but I'm tired of collecting 8 badges to go battle in a Pokemon League that I have very little interest in. It was fun the first three generations but when I reached Gen 4 I was like "Okay can we introduce some other kind of Pokemon battle quest with their own sets of bosses?" I don't hate Gym Leaders, I'm just really not that excited for them like I use to be. To anyone who knows me I am all about change when it comes to games, animes, and mangas, so I welcome all kinds of change as long as it's good. That's just my stance.

Odds are, the gym formula is not going to change, like ever. However, I am with you in the whole secondary quest thing. The contests in RS were really cool, because the halls were spaced over the region. This was changed in Emerald and then in DPPt, but in their first installment, you really did progress in contest ranks as you moved through the region. If they could introduce a kind of quest like that, I'd be all for it.

What would also be cool is if they had a battle frontier equivalent in the postgame, but instead of it all being in one plaza/park like we've had, had the facilities spaced out around and island. Or better yet, all over the region, in places we can't reach until postgame.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Wha!? You don't like Gyms??? Well someone on a different forum said the hope they completely remove Gyms. I just don't understand why though. I love Gyms and lately how they've been specially designed differently in each Gym (BW2 even had their own music). I mean if you're tired of Gyms aren't you also tired of Rivals, professors, champions, etc? Sorry i know it's your opinion and I respect that, I just love Gym leaders... *cries* T_T

Event gyms sound like a bit much, but that would be a fresh idea and concept for GameFreak. That would cover all of the types, but how can it stay interesting? Do you mean different battle styles for each new gym leader?

I love gyms, especially that flying type one in HG/SS.

PKMN KING

Ozymandias
If I was gamefreak:

february: silhouette of new pokémon
march: silhoette revealed + types of legendaries
april: protags + professor + rival
may: nothing
june: screenshots + new pokes
july: the same as june
august: evil team
september: gym leaders
oktober: the rest

What was the release timeline for B/W?

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster

Whoa there, easy. No reason to cry about. Platinum fan apologizes. I actually don't want Gyms gone, I just want the option of another battle quest to take. Gyms, despite me feeling tired of them, do serve a purpose and like I said I do enjoy the puzzle aspect of going through the Gym. And I've grown to love many Gym leaders over the years...like Skyla :D

I am actually tired of the Champion thing but only because they all have that feeling that everyone loves and respects them, which is why I hope we get a cheater Champion who is a fraud that everyone loves but when they learn the truth that he cheats and pays his opponents to lose they turn on him. I don't hate any of the current champs though. Some probably think I dislike Cynthia because I'm tired of seeing her. I actually like Cynthia and love that she was a awesome kick*** female champion. I'm just tired of seeing her in every game and it feels like gamefreak is just milking her popularity for all it's worth to the point that someday it might backfire. As for the rivals, the rivals differ in story and for the most part I have enjoyed battling them every once in awhile. I don't hate Gyms or their leaders, I just want a new kind of battle quest to be a option. I love sidequest in games. Maybe they could make some kind of Pokemon Superbowl and call in the Pokemon Superball or something. That's just my stance. But I don't want Gyms to be removed, I would just like other options.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
If I was gamefreak:february: silhouette of new pokémonmarch: silhoette revealed + types of legendariesapril: protags + professor + rivalmay: nothingjune: screenshots + new pokesjuly: the same as juneaugust: evil teamseptember: gym leadersoktober: the rest
This is too little info. First of all, we always get a few new Pokemon revealed each month. Second, they give us more than one piece of info each month, so what they'll probably do is combine some of those announcements into different months. I think we'll know all of the basics of this game by April-May, and then they can spend the rest of the time on new Pokemon, features, etc.

I hope that the gym leaders are more deep, not shallow recordings babbling about 'truth and ideals'. That's Nintendo putting in fake meaningless morals that could mean anything to anybody. It's really quite sad.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
I hope that the gym leaders are more deep, not shallow recordings babbling about 'truth and ideals'. That's Nintendo putting in fake meaningless morals that could mean anything to anybody. It's really quite sad.

Cheren, Roxie and Elesa were all very good personalitied. But then again Cheren did have the roval in BW headstart. But yeah, I'm w/ you for the hoping of better personalaties, for everyone. Gen V was an awesome try.

Status
Not open for further replies.