• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Characters Speculation/Discussion Thread [USE SPOILER TAGS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I just kind of wish they had more than three pokemon apiece, it made the battles rather brief and forgettable. I could understand Daryden/Iris having three because dragons are a powerful type, but by late-game, I expected Skyla, Brycen and Marlon to have teams of four or five. As it was, I didn't feel challenged.

And yeah, I didn't have that much difficulty with Marlon, because by then I had a Roserade and Electvire.

Iris/Drayden should've had a Zweilous, Brycen getting another Vanillish and Skyla having a Vullaby (because of the problem with White not being able to see the Vullaby line). I only struggled with Marlon because despite having a Ferrothorn and a Tropius, I only use the max amount of Pokémon equal to the gym leaders amount, in which I used a Cofagrigus, Tropius and Samurott where I barely won against Jellicent. (Samurott vs Jellicent).

Speaking of gym leaders, if the first gym is Grass, you all think Gogoat may be one of the gym leaders Pokémon with maybe a Budew (because of the Roselia statue)?

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I hope the next update on X and Y will maybe show the professor, rival, or the design for the possible new evil team of the region. Of all those choices I suppose I'm most interested in the rival now that we have the boy and girl players. I hope they make a good story on the rival and the player. Make a real connection. I assume since Gen 5 gave more then one rival, the possibilities of multiple ones is possible. I only need one or two at the most. Three and beyond is pushing it.

gpt11

I hope the next update on X and Y will maybe show the professor, rival, or the design for the possible new evil team of the region. Of all those choices I suppose I'm most interested in the rival now that we have the boy and girl players. I hope they make a good story on the rival and the player. Make a real connection. I assume since Gen 5 gave more then one rival, the possibilities of multiple ones is possible. I only need one or two at the most. Three and beyond is pushing it.

I cant wait to see the rivals this Gen

I would assume since we can now change our appearance we can now change the rivals as well so I think we will get the choice of Male/Female and Skin/Hair colour (to make them look like your friends)

sheol

Wouldn't it be like super cool if we had Erika from Kanto somehow worked into the region? I mean, she couldn't be more japanese-based, sure, but given that France is renowed for its perfumes and stuff, I would really like to see Erika show up or at least get a mention, since she was my favourite Gym Leader from Kanto. Elesa and Burgh from Unova also fit the role with all the fashion and art traditionally asociated with France.

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
Wouldn't it be like super cool if we had Erika from Kanto somehow worked into the region? I mean, she couldn't be more japanese-based, sure, but given that France is renowed for its perfumes and stuff, I would really like to see Erika show up or at least get a mention, since she was my favourite Gym Leader from Kanto. Elesa and Burgh from Unova also fit the role with all the fashion and art traditionally asociated with France.

Oh, and the triplets! I know that the anime and games do not interact much, if at all, but Cilan has been coined as a Pokemon connoisseur, and a lot of the connoisseurs spit out little phrases that I believe are French. Plus, they seem to own and run a bistro kind of restaurant. What if those three appear somewhere, probably out trying the local cuisine.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I cant wait to see the rivals this Gen

I would assume since we can now change our appearance we can now change the rivals as well so I think we will get the choice of Male/Female and Skin/Hair colour (to make them look like your friends)

Possibly, though I doubt that would be as important as changing the boy and girl players. I do admit, if they make the rival a BFF again, I do love BFF's of different skin color and even gender. It's why in gen 4 I preferred the rival and female player as childhood friends and in gen 5 we had a boy and girl childhood friend. It feels so much more refreshing then generic boy and boy childhood friend/rival, though I had no problem with it, I just like the other options.

Now I really want to see what the rival will be :D

Regality

Digital King
Hmmm, if it is a BFF rival then I want it to be a boy, I like the idea of having a non-family brother. You know, brother from another mother.

But I am really hoping we get a douche rival.

Underachiever007

I think we'll probably get something like Bianca and Cheren this time around as well. You know, one friendly rival and one competitive rival. It'd be cool if the competitive rival were a jerk, but it's been a while since Gamefreak has done that.

Lady Anya

Whatever they do with the Rivals, I hope they give them a lot of development and usefulness, give them a big role in the story like in B/W and D/P and Platinum. Honestly I felt the Rival in HGSS was a joke (well, the whole main game was in my opinion), and, I don't know, the Rival in B2W2 was great and all, but still not done as well as he could've been. Nowhere near as good as Cheren and Bianca, or Barry.

I also hope they go back to more than one rival. That's fun.

Fennekin1

I think we'll probably get something like Bianca and Cheren this time around as well. You know, one friendly rival and one competitive rival. It'd be cool if the competitive rival were a jerk, but it's been a while since Gamefreak has done that.

It would be cool to get another rival that is a jerk like Blue. I would prefer one step up and have a rival that wasn't just a jerk but evil. It would be cool to have a rival working for the bad guys. It would give a better sense of competitiveness between you and your rival.

Lady Anya

That's actually a really great idea.

There's two ways I could see this going.

1. A childhood friend who has something horrible happen, so he joins the evil team for most of the main story.

2. One of the early Team XY members you meet actually decides to have some personality, and you form a rivalry with them. Kind of like Barry vs Mars (or was it Jupiter) in the 4th Generation, but expanded upon a lot more.

storm12

Weather Bearer
I liked all the gen 5 leaders (except Elesa, can't forgive her for decimating my Nuzlocke team!), it was nice that they each had a little bit of story integration (as far as i can remember) their designs were pretty cool too; I thought gen 4 leaders were okay too- I like Volkner, Byron, C.Wake and Candice.

I'd like perhaps a bit of a butch female leader tbh, all of them are either cute girls (Whitney, Iris, Maylene) or slightly older feistier women (Lenora, Fantina, Claire)- Gardenia is probably the blandest female leader, or Roxanne. I'd like a big strong female!!

I'd really like a rival romance :p I dunno why, could be cool!

JW1004

1. A childhood friend who has something horrible happen, so he joins the evil team for most of the main story.

2. One of the early Team XY members you meet actually decides to have some personality, and you form a rivalry with them. Kind of like Barry vs Mars (or was it Jupiter) in the 4th Generation, but expanded upon a lot more.

That would be an interesting twist

Fennekin1

I was thinking someone a little more evil. Like a rival that was the neighborhood bully while you were children. He/She would be even more of a jerk than Blue and join the evil team because he/she simply likes to do bad things to hurt others.

I am getting kind of tired of the friendship rivalries. They have used them too often. I want a rival that I can strait up just hate like the first gen.

sunny phoenix

since gen 2 the player was always the "chosen one" form the very first moment... everyone was seeing potential in him and major characters were giving him attention... i would love this gen for teh player to be the underdog and rival being the one on the spotlight.... but as the story progress u are able to show what u are capable of... and since there is a possibility for us to start froma school, teh rival can be the cool and popular kid even the prof's favorite....

p.s gen 1 rival was something like this.. but i want it to be more obvious :p

SilverQuil

FireMohawk of DOOM
I had an idea for a partial story that went something like this. I was thinking about what it would be like to have a female jerk rival for once (because Blue and Silver are both dudes), and I was thinking she would be a popular-clique-leader-bully type. Then I was thinking, if there were two rivals, the second rival would be your friend - a shy boy who had a bit of a crush on the popular girl, but was too scared to admit it.
The partial story itself was sort of like a premise for the beginning of a Pokemon game. You and your friend were hanging out, when the popular girl showed up and was all like "Hey, losers. If you wanna hang out with me, you better prove you're cool enough. I dare both of you to steal a Pokemon from the Professor's lab; if you did that, you'd be cool enough to hang out with me." Then she leaves, and your friend would say "I want her to think I'm cool! Let's go do what she said!" And then you could choose to let your character agree or protest, but if you protest, your friend is so desperate for the popular girl's attention that he just goes to the lab anyway and drags you along with him. Then you and he both steal a Starter Pokemon, with him stealing the one that's weak to your Starter's type (the popular girl would automatically get the other one). But just as you're about to run out, the popular girl rushes in with the Professor and a police officer in tow, and she's all like "See? I told you they were planning to rob the lab!" You and your friend realize you were set up, and together you make a run for it. When you get away, your friend is like "What do we do now?" But when you suggest going back to the lab, apologizing and returning the Pokemon, your friend is like "No way! The Professor would never forgive us!" So then he runs away while you go back to the Lab and apologize. The Professor allows you to keep your Starter Pokemon on the condition that you help him (or her) with his research by working on the Pokedex. Then, later on in the game, you find your friend again, only to learn that he has joined the evil team because he believes no one will ever forgive him for stealing that first Pokemon. But eventually, after you beat the evil team, your friend learns that he can be forgiven.

Lady Anya

@Sunny Phoenix: I think that, too, is an amazing idea. Have the Rival be the "chosen hero" who everyone sees the potential in, and our protag character is more or less the supporting role, to start. Like obviously we still take part in fending off the evil team, just like our Rivals now do, but the focus by all of the other characters is directed toward the Rival, not us. To start.

@Eevee: A ***** rival. I like it. I'd want the second rival to be more of a confident, collected, and generally kinder guy, however. Not really shy or anything. Similar to Cheren, but not as competitive. And throughout the story he tries to get through to the female rival, or whatever, and yeah. Haven't thought out the details, but you sort of get the idea, right?

Underachiever007

Okay, calling it. Your rival in these games will actually be a Zoroark in disguise. At the end of the game, it is revealed that every single person you've met is actually a Zoroark. You are the 1%.

Lady Anya

I just want to know the female protagonist's name, so I can stop calling her "cute girl" and actually use her name.

storm12

Weather Bearer
I just want to know the female protagonist's name, so I can stop calling her "cute girl" and actually use her name.

She is so cute! And despite the ****ty tights, I think she actually looks quite chaste compred to say- Hilda :p she is a proper tomboyish tease!

I really wonder how the rival/s will look now! I hope they're better than the male protagonist!

Status
Not open for further replies.