• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Characters Speculation/Discussion Thread [USE SPOILER TAGS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
So obviously Calem/Serena and Shauna are available to battle, but has it been confirmed if Trevor and Tierno battle you at any point of the game yet? It doesn't matter to me if they battle or not, I still like their designs as your buddies, but I was just curious.

PMG

Pokemon Master Gaz
So obviously Calem/Serena and Shauna are available to battle, but has it been confirmed if Trevor and Tierno battle you at any point of the game yet? It doesn't matter to me if they battle or not, I still like their designs as your buddies, but I was just curious.

not confirmed yet but I hope they do as otherwise Tierno doesn't have any point in existing after you get the starters as all he seems to do is dance

at least Trevor will check your pokedex and compete with you to complete it

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

We still don't know. Which is weird...

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
not confirmed yet but I hope they do as otherwise Tierno doesn't have any point in existing after you get the starters as all he seems to do is dance

at least Trevor will check your pokedex and compete with you to complete it

I see. Well maybe they'll be the Ethan/Lyra/Lucas/Dawn of the game and give you items and team up with you in double battles every once in awhile. I still hope we get frequent friend meetings in different cities to discuss how the journey is going.

I'm thinking the only friends we battle are Calem/Serena and Shauna. If this dancing thing Tierno does is a bigger thing in the games (as in the equivalent of contests/musicals), he could become a rival in that, while Trevor competes in completing the PokéDex. This way you'd have a rival for basically everything you do:

Battling (Calem/Serena as a stronger rival, Shauna as a weaker one - Kalos starters distributed to the three of you)
Filling the PokéDex (Trevor)
Side event/Dancing (Tierno)

but then again we know nothing about this dancing thing so it might not work out. And you'd think both Tierno and Trevor have Pokémon, so it would be cool to be able to battle against each one of them.

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
if they do I wonder if they will have kanto staters

good question I know that at some point you get one from the professor after getting your starter but how early on is it? Is it like the monkeys in B/W or is it like the 2ndary gift starters of before? aka how early do we receive the starter? If its like the first one I can definitely see them having it otherwise I don't know...

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
good question I know that at some point you get one from the professor after getting your starter but how early on is it? Is it like the monkeys in B/W or is it like the 2ndary gift starters of before? aka how early do we receive the starter? If its like the first one I can definitely see them having it otherwise I don't know...

Considering Sycamore is the one who will give it to us, I think we might get it as early as the first time we reach Lumiose, where Sycamore's lab is located.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I'm thinking the only friends we battle are Calem/Serena and Shauna. If this dancing thing Tierno does is a bigger thing in the games (as in the equivalent of contests/musicals), he could become a rival in that, while Trevor competes in completing the PokéDex. This way you'd have a rival for basically everything you do:

Battling (Calem/Serena as a stronger rival, Shauna as a weaker one - Kalos starters distributed to the three of you)
Filling the PokéDex (Trevor)
Side event/Dancing (Tierno)

but then again we know nothing about this dancing thing so it might not work out. And you'd think both Tierno and Trevor have Pokémon, so it would be cool to be able to battle against each one of them.

If there is a sidequest with dancing then I would love it if Tierno would appear there and frequently battle him as one of the opponents of the sidequest. I always wished we had some kind of character to motivate you to do the sidequest. Sure there was your mom in DP with the contest and kinda Bianca in BW with the musicals, but I want someone to like beg you to try the new sidequest with them...and hope the rewards are rewarding.

flawlessazn

Spiffy ~ ^^"
Will we have the typical "Rival" this game?

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
Considering Sycamore is the one who will give it to us, I think we might get it as early as the first time we reach Lumiose, where Sycamore's lab is located.

well if we get them at that point of the game I would not be surprised to see them in the rivals hands though I can't see them as shoe ins either as the Kanto starter choice is independent of your Kalos starter... which means your rivals would become an series of "if then" statements

Will we have the typical "Rival" this game?
Well, I guess you could count the opposite player character (Calem/Serena) as the typical rival, but he/she won't be mean, arrogant or cocky. I think an interview mentioned them wanting to keep the bonds close and friendly with your friends in the game.

mankarp

We can assume that you will battle them eventually, but not as much as calem/serena and shauna. There is a picture in the official page and here in serebii that shows serena/callem asking the player and tierno-trevor to battle all together.
They might double team against you and serena-calem.

I would lol so hard if both tierno an trevor get an elemental monkey as a starter (confirmed to be in-game, at least panpour) one with the same type as you and the other with a stronger type haha.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Well, I guess you could count the opposite player character (Calem/Serena) as the typical rival, but he/she won't be mean, arrogant or cocky. I think an interview mentioned them wanting to keep the bonds close and friendly with your friends in the game.

I wonder if that friendship would last long... I have a feeling that one will become an antagonist at some point...

Toxicity

Toxic to the touch
Huh. I enjoy the mean, arrogant, and cocky rivals, although a friendly rival can be done well. My favorite rivals are Barry and Blue because they felt like they were constantly trying to supersede you with tougher and tougher teams, and they also had a lot of personality. ??? was decent, but his team kinda sucked.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
Huh. I enjoy the mean, arrogant, and cocky rivals, although a friendly rival can be done well. My favorite rivals are Barry and Blue because they felt like they were constantly trying to supersede you with tougher and tougher teams, and they also had a lot of personality. ??? was decent, but his team kinda sucked.

???...? Do you mean Hugh from BW2?

Barry was a great rival, he actually had development after Jupiter pwnd his *ss, and the fact he actually helped at the game's climax (Double Battle at Spear Pillar)

It looks like we're with Serena/Calem a lot. let the shipping begin

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Rsr57

I would really enjoy challenging rival battles this time. Cheren, Bianca ang Hugh were dissapointing battle wise IMO.

Toxicity

Toxic to the touch
Forgot about Hugh. I'd like him better if he weren't so annoying. Barry was charming with how silly he was, Hugh just made me want to strangle him whenever he talked about his sister's Purrloin. :-\

I would really enjoy challenging rival battles this time. Cheren, Bianca ang Hugh were dissapointing battle wise IMO.
Yeah. If I had to rank gens by rival difficulty...

Gen 1 (Freaking Alakazam)> Gen 4 > Gen 5 > Gen 2 >>>>>>>>>> Gen 3

He/she means Silver, who introduces himself as "???" in GSC.

His real name is Question Marx
Yeah, that's who I was referring to. Dangit, now I'm going to name the kid "Marx" the next time I play Heart Gold.

(Also, it's he. :) )

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Forgot about Hugh. I'd like him better if he weren't so annoying. Barry was charming with how silly he was, Hugh just made me want to strangle him whenever he talked about his sister's Purrloin. :-\

Yeah. If I had to rank gens by rival difficulty...

Gen 1 (Freaking Alakazam)> Gen 4 > Gen 5 > Gen 2 >>>>>>>>>> Gen 3

After my recent Nuzlocke, I will never find a scarier rival to fight than Barry. Just imagine random AI consistently making genius moves time and time again. Hugh had by far my favorite rival battle theme, so I can forgive him for that, at least. I'm still curious about how Trevor and Tierno turn out with battles, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.