• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Characters Speculation/Discussion Thread [USE SPOILER TAGS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griever789

I wonder if that friendship would last long... I have a feeling that one will become an antagonist at some point...

It be intresting if a rival started out friendly but slowly became bitter as you kept beating them with seemingly no effort at all. They then are given an offer of power from team flare and when you face him/her again they're that one boss.

Blesstoise

Squirtle Squad
Hope that there is one rival who is really a mother*** but don't think this will happen this gen unfortunately.
Maybe this time the evil team is a little bit stronger so we still have rivalry.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
It be intresting if a rival started out friendly but slowly became bitter as you kept beating them with seemingly no effort at all. They then are given an offer of power from team flare and when you face him/her again they're that one boss.

Sounds like something they could have done with Brendan/May in Emerald. The dialogue with Scott makes it evident that they're getting frustrated with the fact that they keep losing to you, and Brendan himself evidently feels bitter losing the final time, for the fact that he had a "head start." Would have been much cooler than them just giving up before the end. It would be cool if that happened here, though.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Toxicity

Toxic to the touch
Eh, Question-Marx at least learned from his mistakes and became a better person by appreciating what his Pokemon did for him. Cheren was a less extreme version of the rival learning to be a better person (although Cheren's issue was different).

Blue was just a piece of work, and that's why people like him.

Blesstoise

Squirtle Squad

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Eh, Question-Marx at least learned from his mistakes and became a better person by appreciating what his Pokemon did for him. Cheren was a less extreme version of the rival learning to be a better person (although Cheren's issue was different).

Blue was just a piece of work, and that's why people like him.

Well, that's a general statement regarding Blue. I, for one, actually don't like Blue. I get that the point was to make him a jerk, but that just came off as annoying to me more than anything else. I can understand why Game Freak wouldn't like Blue-esque rivals, though, since they don't want to give the idea that rivals are all supposed to be jerks that hate you. Barry managed to be a step ahead of you just like Blue was, without being a jerk about it, so I think--I hope they can pull something off here.

Grey Wind

I can understand why Game Freak wouldn't like Blue-esque rivals, though, since they don't want to give the idea that rivals are all supposed to be jerks that hate you.
Yeah, I get why they want to avoid it but I think the jerk rivals could do with a comeback. We're going on four generations of childhood friends now, so I'd like something different for once.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Yeah, I get why they want to avoid it but I think the jerk rivals could do with a comeback. We're going on four generations of childhood friends now, so I'd like something different for once.

Well we'll be having something different in XY; when we meet the rivals at the beginning of the game, it's the first time that we've ever met them. If I recall correctly, your character just recently moved to Vaniville.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Well we'll be having something different in XY; when we meet the rivals at the beginning of the game, it's the first time that we've ever met them. If I recall correctly, your character just recently moved to Vaniville.

Yeah, that change is all I need from the rivals. I don't mind childhood friends at all, but the change of pace with it being your first meeting with them is very nice. Hopefully everything else falls into place nicely.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
???...? Do you mean Hugh from BW2?

Barry was a great rival, he actually had development after Jupiter pwnd his *ss, and the fact he actually helped at the game's climax (Double Battle at Spear Pillar)

It looks like we're with Serena/Calem a lot. let the shipping begin

I loved battling Barry in Gen 4. I loved the theme and that hyper dance he got in Platinum. I so hope one of the Kalos kids has a funny quirk before battling. I could see Tierno if he battles you. I could just imagine all the weird dance moves. I wonder if Shauna has the cute radar thing, or if that was mistaken for something else? I almost want her to do it every time you send a Pokemon out. She can score your Pokemon as ugly six times in a row if you rotate.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I wonder if Shauna has the cute radar thing, or if that was mistaken for something else?

That was mistaken for something else. What they were looking at was her "loss" animation.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
That was mistaken for something else. What they were looking at was her "loss" animation.

Darn. I wanted to see her reaction to every Pokemon I had. She would probably find them all ugly minus like two Pokemon I plan to get that might make it on her supposed cute radar. Oh well.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
That doesn't mean that every rival from now until the end of time has to be your best friend, though, which is basically what I've been seeing in every game since RSE and looks to be continuing in XY.

Barry was a competitive friend, which is halfway between, and if it counted, you and Mars/Barry and Jupiter had rivalries.

RoySceptile

Bakaner
Actually, I think they no longer use rivals who say stuff like, "You can't beat me!" "You think I'd lose against you?!" because they never keep their word.
i.e. lying is bad.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
Honestly, I miss the old jerky rivals Blue and Silver, there was just a sense of satisfaction after you beat them, not to mention they could never believe it or were just in complete disarray, but those day are over. The new guys are so bad, Barry and Hugh were cool in that there quest for Power actually had some backstory, Cheren kind of spaced out half way through and Brendan/May and Bianca just quit completely

Hopefully with there being 5 friends this time well get a more interesting story with at least one them, Serena/Callem seem your main competition, while I see Shauna sorta like Bianca in this Gen

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
I really liked blue. The satisfaction of beating the douche and in the end the surprise of him being the champ and again you kick his butt after so much a55holeness you took from him across the region. Oh, the satisfaction! Silver was cool, a jerk in the beginning but he changed his ways and became a friend. Hug is my 3rd favorite, the lone wolf (so to speak) who wants to do that one thing, he wants to be stronger because he wasn't when team plasma took purloin. And the 4th and last good rival is lucas. Although he was a friend, he was a competitive friend and he was always fired up and ready to battle. These are the kind of rivals i like, especially the douchey ones. These new ones seem like all of them will be biancas. I don't mind them but they are a little boring and with no real challenger you feel like the only one who wants to have a battle to win it.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I dislike the rude rivals. I have enjoyed not having one (although Brendan/May sucked entirely). However, I will admit that I really liked Silver's character development. At least he eventually stopped acting like a bratty prick, unlike a certain someone...

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I dislike the rude rivals. I have enjoyed not having one (although Brendan/May sucked entirely). However, I will admit that I really liked Silver's character development. At least he eventually stopped acting like a bratty prick, unlike a certain someone...

The development of Silver attracted me as well. GameFreak gave Silver an option to be in both Johto and Kanto, so the development fit very much in a long story with two regions. And I agree that I don't like rude characters such as Blue. This time, we're getting mature character personalities for our rivals, I think as they don't want to turn back to the old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.