• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Characters that would've been good companions with Ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt0044

Suppose Cilan wasn't the one Striaton Brother chosen to travel with Ash. What if it was Chili? What if Brock and/or Misty weren't chosen as two of eight Kanto Gym Leaders to be Ash's first traveling buddies? What if Sabrina was chosen (or at least considered) or Lt. Surge (maybe not but in the Anime, I wouldn't be very surprised)? And why does it have to be a Gym Leader or one of the female game PCs?

So have fun with this. State your reasons for the character traveling with Ash.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I think that in Johto would have been more choices because back then there weren't much girl game characters that existed.

But I wouldn't have mind Sakura being a companion back then. It would show the writers how they could work with two girls in the group plus how to work with four characters instead of just three.

Barry is alot of joy and since he traveled with the group alot in Sinnoh, I think he could have been a travel companion. They could have used some comedy in the group because Ash wasn't funny in Sinnoh.

Lyra is just words for a great companion. It would have been nice for her but she was a beginner and she was another Chikorita carrier that I didn't want to see. If only she wasn't a beginner who needed to go back to Johto.

You do have a point about Chili and Cress. I wonder who thought of Cilan out of the three. Chili seemed more of what the group needed than Cilan. Cress could have also been the flamboyant type, plus he seems more smart and less annoying than his brother, so yes that would have been a nice option.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Cilan seems to be the leader of the triplets in the games, and is also the middle ground between Chili and Cress' polar personalities. But it's interesting to think what the other two would be like as companions. Sabrina would have been an interesting choice, but her powers would be a little too convenient. Copycat would be an interesting possibility, especially seeing as Duplica was based on her and is a popular filler character. Wally really should have been featured in Hoenn one way or another.

DMerle

Guess who's back
It's hard to pick a specific character, I'd like to see a cross between Gary/Richie, so there is a competiveness there, but also conflicting natures so the two aren't running around hand-in-hand.

D

Deleted member 318910

I think instead of like having Gym leaders as travelers, they should have just used game characters like Jimmy or Lucas(Expect for season 1, when Red was the only choice for the player. He should have just traveled alone in my opinion.)

wingzx

Heart-under-blade
I think instead of like having Gym leaders as travelers, they should have just used game characters like Jimmy or Lucas(Expect for season 1, when Red was the only choice for the player. He should have just traveled alone in my opinion.)

what about yellow from the pokemon adventure manga :D her powers would come in handy!

Cutty

Forever now
I was thinking of Wally or Wallace for Hoenn.

I cannot think anyone better than Misty/Brock..

LizardonX

Banned
I can't help but think marina would have made a good misty replacement after OI, and that lyra and her breeder sidekick would have made a better addition to the main cast if they replaced brock for the last 40 eps of Sinnoh. As for BW, I would have liked to see an older Ash and Hilda.

Hudsonn98

I think that Chili would have gotten annoying after a while as well as Cress. Cilan is probably the most tolerable. I like him though. Iris on the other hand...I really dislike her. They should have replaced her with Hilda or something.

Cutty

Forever now
but wasn't wally sick?

He had a weak body.
Somehow pokemon n adventure gave him spirit n strength.
It would be dramatic if he won an epic battle n then collapse (died).
Maybe too dramatic.

pokemon fan 132

In Kanto Misty and Brock were more than good enough traveling companions imo, being there to get familiar Ash with pokemon basics and helping him to grow as trainer.
Granted like some mentioned Sabrina might have been intriguing choice, but whole psychic powers thing and fact that she was older would probably mess up story too much imo. Still i wish we got to see her more often because whole personality distorter issue had interesting premise behind it.

However in Johto i feel addition of Marina as second female traveling companion would add something refreshing to main cast and set up ground for interesting character interaction having two girls for first time in one group. That concept could have been used in theory in Hoenn too if Misty joined them in BF and May stayed, but alas.

Only issue with Marina in Johto emerges from fact how contests still didn't existed at that time ,so character would be prone to become quickly stale without some purpose behind his existence. That's unless writers came up with anime exclusive goal which would be plausible enough to support her stay in cast.

Leaf had some promise to become traveling companion to Ash and co having every predisposition to take up role as coordinator. But i guess this was never meant to happen simply being blew out from competition.

In Sinnoh i think Reggie would have been something worthy enough to be taken in consideration. Not necessarily by replacing Brock, but still whole breeder thing would allow for better character dynamic with Brock having someone to relate too and vice versa, preventing to end up so much left out from group dynamic at times.

In Unova im satisfied with cast so far and wouldn't change anything about it, but in 6th generation it would be nice way to shake things up to see one of older traveling companions back in cast for awhile again, to get update and sequel to his story.

I can't help but think marina would have made a good misty replacement after OI, and that lyra and her breeder sidekick would have made a better addition to the main cast if they replaced brock for the last 40 eps of Sinnoh. As for BW, I would have liked to see an older Ash and Hilda.

If Misty left before Johto that would be incredibly short run for female sidekick, and i don't think i would welcome it. Especially when majority of her growth didn't even happen until Johto and hosos.

That being said, speaking of other Marina they met in OI i always thought she would have been great rival for Misty in Johto.

matt0044

Sadly, Marina would have to wait until Pokemon Crystal was revealed if she were to be a companion.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I think that Chili would have gotten annoying after a while as well as Cress. Cilan is probably the most tolerable. I like him though. Iris on the other hand...I really dislike her. They should have replaced her with Hilda or something.

We wouldn't really know that. In the episode when they first showed the triplets, Cilan was the only one saying crap about "tasting" and whatever else. I ruled him out right there and then. I was in love with Chili when I first saw him over Cilan. But I guess the developers don't want such a hot guy on the main cast.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
No idea why Barry did not replace Brock. Oh the hilarious antics of that trio.

matt0044

No idea why Barry did not replace Brock. Oh the hilarious antics of that trio.

Yeah, Barry wouldn't be boring like Brock in that arc. Plus, if they needed a cook, Barry could've had a hidden talent in cooking and food rationing.

LizardonX

Banned
too much barry would have ruined his character. He had more than enough screentime as the secondary rival who got thrown under the bus at the league.

Blessed

I would have loved to see Sakura traveling with Ash, Misty & Brock back in Johto. It would have been really interesting to see the dynamic.

Status
Not open for further replies.