• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Characters that would've been good companions with Ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemon fan 132

Ash should ditch all his travelling companions and start travelling with Tobias, Hilda and Harley.

Yeah Harley as traveling companion would be amazing. His feminine and peculiar personality could really add that extra flavor to cast and i admit i always wanted to find out a bit more about his character, being introduced as rather late rival for May.

Though instead of 3 guys and one girl, i would like for once group with 2 guys, and 2 girls. Second could be one of previous traveling companions like Misty. Her flare and tomboyish persona could mix well into such cast imo and it would be intriguing to see already somewhat experienced character growing forward.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
@Caseydia: If you find certain character boring, it doesn't mean it can't become interesting to you in future. It all depends in what direction writers take him and with what new, fresh ideas they come up for them.
Also Misty and Brock did things. They weren't central characters like Ash but they helped influence plot, had their own stories and contributed to anime and Ash growth as trainer back than in many ways.

Ill agree how they should have received more focus, but in end its not quantity but quality of someone deeds and in what way he contributed which counts.

The thing about that is that they didn't do much to contribute to them when they were on the show. And I never said I find them boring, I just said that if they would have kept them liked they were(Misty/Johto, Brock/Sinnoh) then I would have been bored with them. I can't do "what ifs" here because that doesn't work for me. I only judge by what's happened all the way through and what all the character brought to the table. In Misty's time it was very little and Brock's time it was bigger but it was more invisible. But you can believe whatever you like.

pokemon fan 132

The thing about that is that they didn't do much to contribute to them when they were on the show. And I never said I find them boring, I just said that if they would have kept them liked they were(Misty/Johto, Brock/Sinnoh) then I would have been bored with them. I can't do "what ifs" here because that doesn't work for me. I only judge by what's happened all the way through and what all the character brought to the table. In Misty's time it was very little and Brock's time it was bigger but it was more invisible. But you can believe whatever you like.

Misty may have did less than May or Dawn did, but that doesn't make her inferior as character because its quality which counts not quantity. She certainly got more development than Brock, Tracey, Max and for now Iris and Cilan.
And im not sure how legit it is to say how "little she did in Johto", when it was more than she did in first 2 seasons. Receiving more focus and development . She had enjoyable personality and we saw new sides to her growing in light of more competent and confident person. Which was further expanded in chronicles and cameos when she released Togetic, got over Gyarados fear, earned sisters respect while keeping enjoyable traits still being spunky and spirited.

If she ever returns i wouldn't complain, opening chance to learn more about character and develop him feeling refreshing to see familiar face back in today anime after so long. We could see expansion of water master goal doing sequel to it, having fresh potential which wasn't explored.We could see her going on quest trying to become E4, end up as Lorelei apprentice, learn from other strong water trainers. We could see new pokemon building up her team, explore more about past and watch humor and interaction she was known for bringing in cast adding certain charm to it.

As for Brock if writers increased on his role holding bigger purpose than just group caretaker and mentor, it would bring new life to character making people interested in him again. And his newly found carer of being doctor is unexplored territory which could have certainly provided material to work upon and do something out of it if writers ever bring him back.

There are many interesting things you could do with characters and make them relevant again, and if we only focus on negative experiences from past we are closing eyes to future potential and opportunity to enjoy in certain characters missing on positive things they could bring .

Last edited:

matt0044

What about Mewtwo?

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Although at this point I would actually be interested in a return that will never happen, Misty would need a purpose for coming back. Which means you'd have to invent one, since she never had one to start with (Bike was pure plot device).

Tory from Destiny Deoxys. I liked him XD

This would actually give Ash someone to help and learn from over the arc, hot dang; I would second this. He kind of got better at the end of the movie, but it would just be the fresh perspective of someone whose world doesn't revolve around Pokemon when most everyone else's usually has to.

Anyway, back on topic, what if Ash traveled with Gary? Now THAT would be an interesting development!!

Real question is if Gary is really out of the battling business. If we was, I could see the two pushing against each other in their diverging choices in life, and that could be both a conflict and a source for growth- the two force each other to grow up by seeing what they don't like about themselves in the other. They're similar enough for it. Would also give another character to feature in battle-heavy segments or even get episodes centered on, since it's not like Gary wouldn't be carrying a full roster or be lacking Pokemon or characters of the day to gel with.

What about Mewtwo?

As much as I love Ash becoming this therapeutic force for Mewtwo, and all the big cat would learn by being in the world mostly of humans who would be genuinely fascinated by him, he would draw villainous attention far too fast. I'd bring up him being a lolbroken battler even if he didn't just put everything into holds and throw them into walls, but I don't think Ash would ask for that, nor would he consent.

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

Although at this point I would actually be interested in a return that will never happen, Misty would need a purpose for coming back. Which means you'd have to invent one, since she never had one to start with (Bike was pure plot device).

Misty had purpose during her travels, to become water pokemon master and learn as much as she can about water types.
Goal which sadly never was expanded much upon, not being until Whirl Cup when writers started to do more active approach(ironically shortly before leaving cast).

Personally i would like to see her back as traveling companion once more, and with today anime format and improvement it would be interesting to see continuation of story. Like trying to become E4 or some elite water trainer like Lorelei apprentice learning new things as trainer, advancing her dream of becoming master of water types etc.
And i miss that spunky and outgoing personality of hers, always bringing extra flavor to cast being refreshing to see her again.

But eh at this point, its rather a pipe dream to expect her return as main ever again. Maybe in last season if they reunite original trio coming back full circle, but that's a big if too.

MattySadler

Not so sure that player characters (Gold, Brendan, Lucas, etc) would've made good companions. Being trainers they would've shared similar goals and ambitions to Ash. I wouldn't want to see each gym leader having to be battled an extra time, they'd have made better rivals. I think they missed a trick them not appearing.

In Kanto, a character like Giselle, for example, could've made an interesting temporary companion. Maybe an extended period of travelling with Todd, perhaps Todd even obtaining some Pokemon? (he was destined to capture that Aerodactyl, and not just on film!) Duplica would've been good, if a bit one-dimensional (always dressing up as people).
In the Orange Islands, I would've liked to have seen Tracey given some more character development, especially in terms of his Pokemon. Also, that Water-type trainer Marina would've added another dimension to Misty, who by this point was slowly turning into a more boring mother figure. Both being Water-type trainers, they could've made good rivals.
Someone previously mentioned Sakura. Wanting to break away from her sisters, I believe she would've made an interesting companion. Falkner wanting to locate his father (Walker in the manga) might've made interesting viewing, and Bugsy is supposed to be some researcher, which could've also led to some interesting stories involving ancient/ legendary Pokemon.
In Hoenn, I agree that Wally should've been involved in some form, he was a good character in the games and the manga. Otherwise I think Ash, Brock, May and Max was a half-decent gang, though Max could've done with more development, as he never really appealed to me. Seeing more of Nicholai might've also been interesting. I know how nerds love cosplayers! During the Kanto Battle Frontier, maybe Pike Queen Lucy could've joined up and developed her interest in Brock a bit? (Might've even made a good exit storyline for him). Not really sure there was much to add from the Sinnoh gang. Perhaps some of the 'stat trainers' from the games could've had more extended appearances? Everyone loves Riley! Quite liked the idea of Nando's struggle between being a trainer and a coordinator, would've liked to have seen more of that. Lyra and Khoury could've made good character if they had done a Johto Battle Frontier arc, but they didn't... Not watched enough of BW to comment, but from what I have read Cilan and Iris haven't impressed me all that much, but theres enough characters who pop up now and then to get over that.

pokemon fan 132

Also, that Water-type trainer Marina would've added another dimension to Misty, who by this point was slowly turning into a more boring mother figure. Both being Water-type trainers, they could've made good rivals.

Agreed, i always thought Marina would be excellent rival to Misty with both sharing love for water types, striving to learn ins and outs of them.

Although i don't think Misty was boring mother figure there at all. I enjoyed in her subplots with Orange islands gym leaders, she was flirty and full of spunk and it was nice to see some of her caring side too(like taking care of sick Ash and Tracey).
Granted i wish she got more focus in Johto and lack of rivals hurt more than it helped, but she still kept appealing aspect having flare, and it was nice to see her battle more,compete in events like Whirl Cup and starting to grow eventually not feeling inferior to sisters anymore.

Someone previously mentioned Sakura. Wanting to break away from her sisters, I believe she would've made an interesting companion. Falkner wanting to locate his father (Walker in the manga) might've made interesting viewing, and Bugsy is supposed to be some researcher, which could've also led to some interesting stories involving ancient/ legendary Pokemon.

Honestly i almost got fooled out with Sakura, when she mentioned desire to go on journey and travel with Ash and co. Too bad it didn't happen because she was interesting character who i feel had potential, and i enjoyed in interactions between Misty and her having lot of things in common.

Last edited:

matt0044

Marley would've been interesting. She's like Yuki Nagato in Pokemon.

matt0044

Rosa. She will be so much better

She can be a newbie but she should have that Lina Inverse-like flair in the BW2 trailer. That way she doesn't come off as annoyingly noobish. Like Dawn or May at times.

MattySadler

Although i don't think Misty was boring mother figure there at all. I enjoyed in her subplots with Orange islands gym leaders, she was flirty and full of spunk and it was nice to see some of her caring side too(like taking care of sick Ash and Tracey).

Well like I said, 'slowly becoming', she hadn't quite reached it yet, but I personally felt Togepi clipped her wings, so to speak. Glad you agreed about Marina anyway, was expecting somebody to mention her but was surprised she hadn't been.

As you said re: Sakura, seemed like she was destined to become a companion (or at least a temporary one). I mean the evolution of her Eevee (which was not yet an Espeon) would've made an intersting story, plus other Pokemon she could've caught.

pokemon fan 132

Well like I said, 'slowly becoming', she hadn't quite reached it yet, but I personally felt Togepi clipped her wings, so to speak. Glad you agreed about Marina anyway, was expecting somebody to mention her but was surprised she hadn't been.

As you said re: Sakura, seemed like she was destined to become a companion (or at least a temporary one). I mean the evolution of her Eevee (which was not yet an Espeon) would've made an intersting story, plus other Pokemon she could've caught.

Eh i still didn't found she became boring at all and i cant complain about role in Orange Islands being great. As for Johto she was still full of personality, having that spunky and adventurous attitude. Only change was that she became less aggressive over time and im fine with that because it was sign of character development becoming more mature and confident, and judging by hosos and AG cameos she managed to grew more confident and responsible while remaining spunky which made her better character imo.

Granted she was neglected at times in Johto not interacting much with others or partaking in action standing in background(who wasn't?), but out of main cast she still added most chemistry and whenever she had spotlight she brought lot of comedy and appeal to episodes contributing to plot. So way i see it problem wasn't in character really or Togepi, but in not receiving enough focus to properly shine.

So while i respect your view, personally i have different sentiment about this.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting back on main subject, i always thought it would have been nice if Sakura joined them for rest of Johto as additional companion. It would create different dynamic and environment among main cast, and its pity we never got to see her other pokemon in action when she partake on journey.

Her appearance in one of Misty episodes in chronicles was interesting too.

Last edited:

matt0044

What about Elesa? Like she's incognito and meets Ash, joining him.

mudkipz_and_axewz

mudkip lover
I didn't really see the point of max that much during, someone like wally would have been better at least for a bit

Definitely, i wouldn't change kanto for anything, but ash didn't have any real rivals in hoenn tbh and i think wally wallace or even steven would have been good, i do like may and max though! Was brocks re-appearance ever even fully explained in hoenn?

LizardonX

Banned
Definitely, i wouldn't change kanto for anything, but ash didn't have any real rivals in hoenn tbh and i think wally wallace or even steven would have been good, i do like may and max though! Was brocks re-appearance ever even fully explained in hoenn?

His ash's stomach senses were tingling.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ash didn't need any rivals in Hoenn. Good thing back then we didn't have to put up with any forced or pointless rival like Trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.