• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Chariots of the Gods?

IMPERIAL DRAGON

Enemy Of Reality
Chariots of the Gods?

Just curious as to what you guys believe in terms of how we came to be, a product of evolution, creation of God, or something else? I’m fascinated with the theory of what we perceive as God actually being an extraterrestrial being, even though it’s not that much of a mainstream talking point, despite it seeming logically sound.

To be fair, the whole concept of our origin is just too supreme to contemplate sometimes; I literally cannot even begin to describe how our universe came to being. My only theory concerns the origins of our race. Personally, creationism seems unlikely at face value, but the only reasoning I can muster to make it more likely is the concept that we were placed here as a sort of seed colony, or the theory of evolution is how we came to be, but we were visited by a human like race our ancestors referred to as gods.

It strikes me as strange how few people refute the idea that God created us in his own image, yet even fewer make the connection between a creator and extraterrestrials. Part of me thinks evolution is more likely, but it’s frequently crossed my mind that blazing chariots of fire descending from the heavens and various biblical accounts just come across as primitive interpretations of extraterrestrials, I mean sky people and a kingdom beyond the clouds really is a tremendous euphemism if you think about it. The notion we’re made in his image pretty much states he’s human in appearance, so is it really any weirder to speculate our existence here is very much the divine will of a greater race of beings, but with an unconventional twist? If you reverse engineer the theory and consider the human race’s future, in which we will seek to colonise other planets, it’s really not so strange to think we may create a settlement independent of main human society to see how they develop without the benefits of advanced technology, which is what I reckon we could be a product of, similar to the zoo theory.

Probably going off on a tangent there, but it’s an interesting point to consider for our origins.

God = alien/ man?
Discuss.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
I never met anyone who can make any arguement about the creation of our species or planet sound so logical and realistic that it discredits other theories.

7 tyranitars

evolution is the most likely also I lost faith in church since I know how they gave people always false information because they would lost status otherwise, but the evolution thing sounds the most logical choice because if we where offspring of 2 people and they had to have sex whit eachothers and that would mean we would all be retards now

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Perhaps an even more plausible suggestion would be that humans are nothing but Sims in a pimply alien teenager's bedroom. Consider the creation of virtual species in virtual worlds with artificial intelligence: it only takes one instance of the evolution of intelligent life to spark the virtual creation of almost infinitely many others.

7 tyranitars

that reminds me of a south park episode where we where a alien reality show.. but
it's a little bit well you can keep on going that way

Vernikova

Champion
I've watched a special about this book on the History channel. It's actually a pretty interesting thing to think of. Personally, I really don't believe in this idea but I can let my imagination run a little wild this. Especially since it tries to explain some things in the past such as those long "air strips" in South America and some ancient sites around the world where the architecture is advanced. Of course, these are all just example from the documentary.

Dattebayo

Banned
I remember this one program about aliens and the Bible, and how they are connected. It's a pretty interesting theory if we really are just virtual life forms made by extraterrestrial intelligence. This is starting to remind me of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy now.

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

This sounds just like my father's theories. He tried telling me for years that the burning chariot that picked up Elijah was actually an acount of an alien abduction, things like that.

As for me, I find it somewhat interesting to think about, as is the scenario that we're really NPCs in one of God's computer games, things like that. Don't believe any of it, but it's interesting to think over.

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
I believe in the ancient Astronaut theory (go ahead & laugh) it makes sense & would explain many things including religions, human civilization, and such. How is it that the ancient people could build awesome things like the pyramids yet in our modern time we can't do it without modern tools, Alien involvement is highly likely. As far as earth being a big virtual video game I don't think so that's too weird.

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

How is it that the ancient people could build awesome things like the pyramids yet in our modern time we can't do it without modern tools, Alien involvement is highly likely.
Er, we can build pyramids now. It's just that there's no point to it. Using a good amount of the money of your country on piling rocks on top of each other isn't really the most productive thing you can do.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
How do you know beyond reasonable doubt that aliens abducted/built things of earth.
Plus why would aliens care about a backwater planet, with stupid, vain, violent troublesome pests like Homo Sapiens.

Last edited:

7 tyranitars

dunno, why do we havwe pets?
not that I believe in it, that there are alien life forms out is likely because there are a lot of platets but not that we have contact whit them

Penguinist Trainer

Well it definitely is a plausible argument that man was put here by a superior species. After all, we would have to be pretty full of ourselves to believe we were seriously alone in this entire universe. This is also the reason I liked the Stargate movie and later on the TV series.

My personal beliefs have always combined both creationism and evolution. I never understood why religious officials would deny evolution. The bible says, god created the world in 7 days. Who is to say that a billion years of evolution isn't a single day to god? (I don't specifically know how long it took us to evolve, but I think people should get my point) No matter what the "truth" is, people will always form their own belief structure around it, which is why religion is so interesting. So many of them say the same thing, but are different in a few small ways.

I do like the alien theory though. Can you imagine if Jesus was really a regular guy who was brainwashed by aliens into loving and obeying them. Then we crucify him, only for the aliens to bring him back from the dead... and then we get a religion. I'm not making fun of this theory, I'm just finding it interesting how many "Biblical events" could have been misconstrued if Aliens really were involved.

IMPERIAL DRAGON

Enemy Of Reality
Although it’s an interesting talking point, the notion of life as we know it being a source of reality entertainment for the galaxy just seems… less likely, ironically. Sure, it would make for some perverse cosmic comedy but feels too casual at the same time, not that I believe the universe is as sinister as in certain films and literature.

We have plenty of physical evidence to give evolution credibility so I’m hesitant to assume it’s irrelevant to this equation, but there are plenty of fanciful explanations to bridge the gap, such as an alien race arriving when our primitive ancestors had reached a sort of dead end evolution wise, and they intervened with a method of speeding up the process, bypassing what many researches seek in the missing link. Or, the universe being governed by certain inevitabilities, since until we reach other inhabited planets we simply cannot compare evolution or living conditions; we can merely speculate, but perhaps all Earth like planets produce carbon based, oxygen breathing primate like creatures, we just don’t know.

What irks me is the statement that we are made in God’s image, and that we have only thousand year’s old accounts to be taken into consideration. Is it meant to be taken literally, gospel truth we are kith and kin to the creator, as in genetically or visually similar to God? Or just share some resemblance? If the travellers were truly omnipotent or what we would view as technologically advanced, perhaps they disguised themselves in human form in an effort to blend in, but made no secret of their qualities whether it is natural or technological. It just strikes me as an incredibly ambiguous statement to say we reflect the physical form of God without there being some element of truth there.

Imagine our future, in which we search space for answers or an explanation of how we came to be, but found no definitive reason for our origins, we’d have no choice but to look forward if the venture in search of our past yielded nothing but further frustration and curiosity. Imagine another race, who like us, sought to expand their knowledge and empire by colonising planets as a way of filling the void left by an unexplained existence, is it really so eccentric to wonder if while establishing other words for their society to live, they placed humans created through genetics or cloning on Earth to observe our development, or as an outpost free from the downfalls of their life style?

Otherwise, accounts from all over the world from cave paintings, to engravings, to statues etc depict spacesuits, helicopters, flying objects etc and how anyone can disregard this evidence is beyond me. Some people call coincidence or vivid imaginations, but how could people from thousands of years ago accurately describe technology we have only really been using and developing over the last hundred years? Truth be told, I suspect certain cynics just fear the unknown or unconventional. To me it strongly implies visitation, in which humans of our world witnessed the technology of another race thousands of years ago and documented the experience in the art of the times. Take this from the Temple of Abydos for example; it illustrates much of what I’m saying.

http://www.timstouse.com/images/EarthHistory/EgyptTemples/Abydos2.jpg

So many blindly believe everything religion offers, but unless God was of our planet, then by default, he would be an extraterrestrial, and I believe a selection of advanced beings have arrived here, each receiving the title of ‘god’ for being something more than human.

As to why they would visit us, why wouldn’t they? Discovering life in space would be the biggest scientific discovery in mankind’s history, even if we weren’t the first race aliens found, why would they abandon any interest they have in otherworldly creatures? Do we not still study any new species or discovery we make within our own world? Even if aliens were apathetic towards us, our planet would provide a banquet of elements, animals, materials etc to indulge in, the enquiring minds of their world, just like in ours, probably wouldn’t waste opportunities to expand their knowledge. Certain substances here could aid them; imagine we went to another planet and found an alien plant that could cure cancer or a mineral more resistant than diamonds, the possibilities are limitless and no civilised race can resist progress.

Tyrant Tar

Helicopters in hieroglyphs?
http://www.catchpenny.org/abydos.html

I find all this alien talk to be... silly (for lack of better words; and perhaps a bit hypocritical, being religious myself). Aliens, especially in the US, are the modern demons, magic, and spirits; often used to explain the (currently) unexplained, with very little support beyond being a part of popular culture and technically un-debunkable.

Could a group of all-powerful aliens have come to Earth and 'created' humans (who later remembered them as gods)? Perhaps, and that's not the type of theory I'm finding "silly." It's ideas like humans "couldn't have possibly done ____ without ALIENS!," despite how darn resourceful, imaginative, and inventive we are, that I can't agree with.

Mitja

Veteran smartass
Ever heard of the raelian movement?

A french guy who had fun with racing cars and being a journalist, in 1973 suddenly stopped doing what he was and started to spread the word about the message "from the creators" he was given.
There is a free download of the e-book at:
http://rael.org/request.php?1

It changed my life over the last 3 years in a way that even if someone would today prove to me that the book is totally made up, I would still keep the deep philosophy which comes with it, that promotes the most logical and beautiful values of peace, non-violence and love I have ever come across.

: )

Love to all of you

IMPERIAL DRAGON

Enemy Of Reality
Helicopters in hieroglyphs?
http://www.catchpenny.org/abydos.html

I find all this alien talk to be... silly (for lack of better words; and perhaps a bit hypocritical, being religious myself). Aliens, especially in the US, are the modern demons, magic, and spirits; often used to explain the (currently) unexplained, with very little support beyond being a part of popular culture and technically un-debunkable.

Could a group of all-powerful aliens have come to Earth and 'created' humans (who later remembered them as gods)? Perhaps, and that's not the type of theory I'm finding "silly." It's ideas like humans "couldn't have possibly done ____ without ALIENS!," despite how darn resourceful, imaginative, and inventive we are, that I can't agree with.

That link is pretty limp, at best. Erosion is a weak explanation to cynically reject the notion of the carvings sharing an eerily similar appearance to modern technology. True, they can’t testify as absolute fact but it’s still worth consideration, and the mention that they resemble hieroglyphics is verging on stating the obvious since anything from an age in time will depict the style and language of that period; hieroglyphics would no doubt accompany visual descriptions of what they could not explain. The lack of factories and fuel traces is easily refuted too; if we ventured to Mars, would we build our equipment there? Of course not, we’d take it with us to the planet. Also, these machines could have a power source literally alien to what we use.

Technically speaking, religion is practically in the same category as the supernatural, magic, ghosts, aliens etc since none of them hold enough significant evidence to be beyond reproach. Ancient cultures indulged in superstition and belief in gods long before Christianity, the only difference is modern religion is a popular and accepted format, while aliens and such are regarded with such animosity despite being so similar in theory. The acceptability of faith is the real demonstration of hypocrisy here. Fair enough, belief in God is not under question or on trial, it just baffles me that a vast majority of religious people never make the connection between God and extraterrestrials. In the days of Christ, the population did not have the benefits of our science, the revelation that our world is not actually flat came centuries later, so if people 2000 years ago met supreme beings who claimed to live beyond the stars in heaven, would it not be logical for the people of that time to assume this kingdom above resided in the clouds? And how could one soar across the sky without the aid of wings, perhaps creating the original interpretation of angels, men from a realm beyond with feathered wings to carry them here? Our history is laced with simple misinterpretations, what we now label extraterrestrial would would have different descriptions in ancient tongues based on the knowledge of the time. Much of our past could be such a tremendous euphemism.

Although I mentioned my theory of humans being created and placed here, my personal belief is we are the product of evolution but have been visited frequently, even if it has become more difficult as of late due to world wide communication and surveillance. The powers and abilities of every god in popular mythology could be explained by advanced technology, but to our eyes they would appear godly, so it is no stretch of the imagination to speculate that by witnessing the extent of their superiority, we claimed them divine once upon a time. We are not useless, unimaginative or lacking potential, but it’s hardly insane to wonder if we were aided in the past in the same sense Christian missionaries visit nations to spread the word or to build wells, churches, schools etc or even take water purification equipment to aid the old fashioned societies. In principal it’s similar, to voyage to a less advanced society to improve it with our application of knowledge and technology, we do it within our own world so what’s preventing alien nations crossing the cosmic sea to enlighten other sons of the galaxy?

Mitja, could you please give me the name of the author and book since I can’t get that link to work? :)

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

The lack of factories and fuel traces is easily refuted too; if we ventured to Mars, would we build our equipment there? Of course not, we’d take it with us to the planet.
No, we wouldn't. If you were travelling to a different planet, you'd want to bring only what you can't produce and start-up supplies. Costs are astronomical for safely getting something into space. Why spend the equivalent of hundreds of dollars a pound for carrying materials into space when you can construct them on site for significantly less?

I don't believe aliens can possibly have been at contact with us at any moment. It's unlikely that conditions would be right for life to form in the first place on other planets, not likely for whatever came to live to actually survive, not much for it to become a successful, sapient creature, and then they have to survive to space travel. Then, it's however long it takes to get over to Earth and land on the planet, provided that they actually live anywhere near us and in the same time period that we do, and they have to of course be actively exploring the universe. This all occurs without us having a shred of evidence for their existence.

Personally, I find the existence of aliens to just be ridiculously improbable.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
Aliens could be bacterai or animals or plants that we haven't encountered yet. Not neccessarily what the Neo-Nazis , whoops! I mean Hollywood, would have believe.

Plus Bill Nye, aliens could be sulphur based, not carbon based like humans (which means they would find O2 toxic, but would breathe sulphur)