• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Charizard Chills! (107)

Aquarelle

Staff member
I was surprised that Charizard got frozen into a block of ice like that. I never imagined that Fire types could be frozen. During the part where they were all rubbing Charizard, I liked how Ash was talking about his history with Charizard - it was nice seeing flashbacks of when it was still a Charmander. In the end, I was glad that Charizard began to obey Ash.

7threst

Golden episode. That moment when Charizard decides to obey Ash from that point onward is unforgettable. The way Ash took care of Charizard when it was freezing from the battle was really a demonstration of a great trainer. Props for Ash in this episode.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
So this is the last we see of the rebellious Charizard. I liked Charizard as a disobedient Pokemon, because he was too cool to obey Ash. He was the Fonzie of Pokemon.

Of course, Charizard as an obedient Pokemon has his highlights too.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I haven't seen this episode, but I've read the synopsis. It sounds good; I'd like to see it. The title pun sounds reeeeaaaally inappropriate, considering the theme.

LizardonX

Banned
Lol Charizard took a hit from articuno and nothing happened but a poliwrath freezes it and hes out for an entire night.

ashiemore

Finally we actually get to see Ash's most powerful team member obey him. Happy day for everyone.

~ashiemore

NPT

Just a member
This episode is a huge turning point for both Ash and Charizard. It all started when a large speedboat almost tackled Ash and co. after narrowly missing, the driver introduce himself as Tad. Misty interrupts him demands an apology for "almost" hurting Togepi. Tad says that Misty shouldn't be mad because it makes her face look like a TENTACRUEL.... but Misty takes this as a complement and blushes?? Whoa, that was weird.

Anyway, Tad challenges Ash to a battle and he accepts. Tad and Ash begins their battle with choosing Poliwrath and Pikachu respectivly. Despite Pikachu shocking Poliwrath with his tail, it didn't seem affected by it. But it was easily managed to defeat Pikachu with Hypnosis and Water Gun! Ash wasn't happy about Pikachu’s defeat, so he chooses Charizard. Charizard, as usual, Flamethrowers Ash and starts disobeying him. As a result, Charizard gets frozen by a powerful Ice Beam from Poliwrath and Ash loses the battle.

The episodes starts getting interesting from here. With the help of Misty and Tracy, Ash does his best to warm Charizard up by rubbing his hides. I liked how Ash was talking about the good times he spent with Charizard, it was touching. This is when Charizard realizes that despite it disobeying Ash all the time, he hasn't given up on it.... and guess what? Charizard finally starts obeying Ash! The whole "Ash warming up Charizard" sequence was heartwarming, and the BGM(Tears after the Cloudy Weather) was perfectly fitting for the scene. It was awesome when Ash and Charizard worked as a team and defeated Tad and his Poliwrath, that showed what they can do if they work as a team.

This is, hands down, one of the best Orange Islands episodes. Too bad 4kids chose such a punny dub title for this amazing episode, they should've came up with a better dub title.

Last edited:

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Definitely in my Top 5 Pokemon episodes of all time. Badass emotional episode.

lol, why hasn't anyone mentioned that Charizard uses 6 moves in that episode?

Flamethrower
Rage
Spin
Seismic Toss
Ember
Take Down

That's really trivial though; I thought this was an excellent episode and one of the turning points in the series.

His kingler used, I think, ten or twelve attacks in one battle in the Indigo League.
Also, the anime and the games aren't equal, anyway.

This episode was truly a momentous occasion. Ash's Charizard finally starts obeying him after all this time! :)
I know this is the anime and not the games, but it is odd how a fire Pokemon can be frozen that easily.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Looking back, I was surprised that Tad's Poliwrath's Ice Beam was able to freeze Charizard to begin with. I would've thought that Charizard being part Fire-type would've prevented that, but I guess not. Anyway, I was so happy when Charizard finally started listening to Ash and when he beat Poliwrath at the end.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I was browsing Netflix earlier and I saw that this was the latest Original Series episode available. Such is very fitting, given that for some people (those that liked the rebellious Charizard), this episode is where Charizard, as a character, jumps the shark (or in this case, jumps the Sharpedo).

Red and Blue

So I just rewatched this episode. Looking back it was a surprisingly beautiful and emotional episode. It really shows Ash compassion and heart as a trainer. Staying up and caring for a Charizard who disobeyed him at every turn.

Episodes like these is why OS will always be my favorite season

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
This was such a important episode cuz of how Charizard's ego softened and he started obeying Ash's commands. I admit that I didn't like Charizard much before this episode cuz he used to jeopardize Ash but I finally began liking him here. :3

Gillachu

Banned
Charizard getting frozen by Poliwrath made me yell wtf. I thought the whole struggle he went through here was lame.

JudySpell

Banned
Charizard finally got a better attitude and began trusting Ash. But in hindsight I'm ticked off that it took 60 episodes to get to this point. 7/10

Gillachu

Banned
Charizard finally got a better attitude and began trusting Ash. But in hindsight I'm ticked off that it took 60 episodes to get to this point. 7/10

Lol yes the whole disobedience thing with Charizard dragged on and it should've been resolved back in Kanto...

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
These Beatles lyrics (RIP George Martin) reflect my opinion on how Charizard's character changed from this episode:

I'm looking through you, where did you go?
I thought I knew you, what did I know?
You don't look different, but you have changed
I'm looking through you, you're not the same

Still as I said several years ago, loyal Charizard does have his moments.