• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Charizard Chills! (107)

UmbrionKnight

The flash back made me cry. It feels so good to watch this. It may be soppy, but hey. Charmander was close to Ash before, and they grew close again. It shows how even though people important to you can grow apart, you should never forget the great times you had, and it may never be too late to make amends.

The scenes with Ash defrosting Charizard were so touching and I was relieved when Charizard trusted Ash again and when he defeated Poliwrath.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Good episode. I liked how the writers once again acknowledged Charizard's past, and that Ash and him had good some times before. That belt Poliwrath wore reminded me of the P1 Grand Prix belt that Primeape won though.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Hide's Nyorobon freezing Satoshi's Lizardon caught me off-guard because I figured that Lizardon's body heat should've prevented him from freezing. It was way past time for Satoshi and Lizardon to bond with each other, though. I liked watching Lizardon at sunrise, as well as when he defeated Nyorobon.

ZilverLox

Banned
This is one of my favorite episodes in the Orange League season because Charizard finally obeyed Ash for good, leading to a pretty awesome battle.

Also, anyone want to hazard a guess at Tad's second Pokemon which he claimed he was going to use? He also should have handed over the belt to Charizard once he defeated Poliwrath.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I bought the Orange Islands series on DVD mainly so I could watch this episode. Charzard seems to have gotten worse; in the Indigo series he'd obey Ash when it was important; in this episode he wouldn't listen at all. I enjoyed this episode. Seeing Charzard finally obey Ash consistently is great, & the writers came up with a fairly believable story.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Great episode. Loved Misty yelling at Tad for almost hitting Lapras and the group. I liked seeing Ash spending the entire night helping Charizard recover and the latter regaining his trust towards Ash. In this episode, Charizard was able to carry Ash on his back, but for some reason, when the group first met Liza, Ash appeared to be too heavy for him.
9.5/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
Charzard seems to have gotten worse; in the Indigo series he'd obey Ash when it was important; in this episode he wouldn't listen at all.

Lizardon's disobedience did seem to be getting more problematic over time, although it's not surprising since Satoshi did nothing throughout the Orange Archipelago arc to fix Lizardon's issues until this episode. If he had acted sooner (as in back when the issue first arose), we wouldn't have dealt with Lizardon's stubbornness for so long.

Daizy

I call you honey
The flash back made me cry. It feels so good to watch this. It may be soppy, but hey. Charmander was close to Ash before, and they grew close again. It shows how even though people important to you can grow apart, you should never forget the great times you had, and it may never be too late to make amends.

It sucks how Ash was the one who was making amends while Charizard just sat there. The source of Charizard's problems were never even addressed and he didn't deserve Ash's kindness.

pacman000

That's how the series was set up from the beginning; if a Pokemon disobeys the trainer's doing a bad job. It's worked the oppisiate way too; remember Challenge of the Samurai? Ash was complimented for being able to command Butterfree so soon after it evolved. Probably inspired by the games; remember in the old versions Pokemon would disobey you if you leveled them up without badges.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Probably inspired by the games; remember in the old versions Pokemon would disobey you if you leveled them up without badges.

I've seen this explanation from fans before, although in this case, it doesn't work since Lizardon was disobedient even when Satoshi had eight Gym Badges back in Kanto.

pacman000

I agree that it's not the badges; just that it, the idea that Pokemon might rebel when they evolve, may have been inspired by that element of the games.

Daizy

I call you honey
Y'know if Charizard hadn't caused Ash's Indigo League loss I might've felt sad for him when Poliwrath froze him solid. But I hardly even batted an eye.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Daizy said:
Y'know if Charizard hadn't caused Ash's Indigo League loss I might've felt sad for him when Poliwrath froze him solid. But I hardly even batted an eye.

Even though Lizardon had a bad reputation, he didn't deserve his fate since his life was put in danger when he was frozen, which I now feel was rather cruel.

This episode happened too late in the Orange Islands arc I think. While it was cool to see Ash work on helping keep Charizard's flame lit in the night and they bonded, it all should've happened ages ago when Lizardon first began acting grumpy. I thought that Charizard's last fight against Poliwrath was really good though mostly because he was listening to Ash's commands.

I think this episode was shown out of order at one point because I remember it airing right after the Trovita gym episode. I thought that Charizard getting frozen by Poliwrath didn't make much sense because Charizard was a Fire type and the Ice Beam shouldn't have been strong enough to engulf him like that. I liked that he was finally able to gain respect for Ash although it took a long time. The final Seismic Toss scene was the best part. 9/10