• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Charizard could have just escaped

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJC

Something that I recently thought of: considering that Pokemon like Psyduck and Wobbufet can pop out of their Pokeballs at will, Charizard could have just popped out and flew away when it was disobedient.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Charizard didn't want to abandon Ash. He obeyed when it suited him, and he had it pretty good. Brock's food was top-notch and he got the occasional decent opponent. He was just too proud to put up with opponents he deemed weak.

LizardonX

Banned
If this wasn't an anime Ash would have been killed when charizard flamethrowered his head.

PokemonFan13

Disobeying and hating are too things. It is like when a kid disobeys parents they don't hate them and run away. Well maybe sometimes but most of the time disobeying and hating a person are not the same.

sandy ketchum

Charizard was lazy and didnt respect ash. it only fought opponents that were worthy and strong enough to fight it. ash never disrespected or mistreated charizard. charizard could have flown away if ash mistreated it. but charizard didnt hate ash.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
This is the best explanation i've seen behind Charizard's motivations http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Personality_&_Development:_Ash's_Charizard

Imo, it looks more like damage control by that person than an actual explanation. But that's just me. :p

Anyway I don't get why Charizard would have wanted to escape. I never got the feeling that he hated Ash; just that he didn't respect him. In truth there was a time when I wanted them to part ways completely (some time after the embarrassing Indigo League finale), but I never thought Charizard would just abandon Ash. I thought he would meet a trainer who he respected more than Ash and that Ash would do the right thing and let Charizard go. Of course that never happened, but I still wish they had separated like that because that would have been a more realistic approach than the "Ash and Charizard make up after Charizard gets frozen" thing. That's just me though. :p

KJC

Well, it was my impression that Ash never took Charizard out when it was disobedient except as a last resort in a desperate situation. And Ash's friends would be genuinely frightened by it.

Either way you'd think that he would be strong willed enough to pop out when he wanted to. Maybe Ash duck taped his Pokeball shut off screen?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Charizard wouldn't have left. Ash saved him.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Charizard seemed to have selective disobedience. He listened to Ash when he wanted to. In situations where he thought the opponent was beneath him he didn't.

Either way you'd think that he would be strong willed enough to pop out when he wanted to.

He did pop out of the Pokeball on his own once as a Charmander in Snow Way Out. I'm guessing that any Pokemon could release themselves from the ball if they want to, but most don't because they respect their Trainer's judgement. The Pokemon who usually pop out on their own have eccentric personalities. The only situation I'd see Charizard forcing himself out would be if Ash was against a strong opponent and was about to pick another Pokemon over him.

wolf king

Resistance is futile
well technically any pokemon could, the only reason trainers can catch them in the first place because they weaken them down through battling. Think about if you through a pokeball at a healthy charizard (in game but applys to anime) it would stay in it would burst out in a fiery fury same applies to the pokemon after they're been caught by the trainer and healed at the poke center they have the strength to burst out but don't. But why would you? plenty of tasty food from brock and a nice caring trainer like ash. Plus didn't ash save char as a charmander?

An00bis

Wicked Witch
It was more of a Brock effort and Ash followed his lead, but Brock wasn't allowed to catch any cool Pokemon.

the only reason trainers can catch them in the first place because they weaken them down through battling.

It's possible to catch any Pokemon at full health by just throwing a Pokeball. Yeah; a regular Pokeball.

The anime seems to support this by making it possible for some Pokemon to be willingly captured in perfect health without a battle. So if you absolutely stink at battling but feel lucky you can just go around throwing Pokeballs at things and hoping they stay shut.

Vernikova

Champion
Something that I recently thought of: considering that Pokemon like Psyduck and Wobbufet can pop out of their Pokeballs at will, Charizard could have just popped out and flew away when it was disobedient.

Like many others have said, and what I personally believe, is that Charizard didn't hate Ash. He probably stuck with Ash because he was in an optimal situation. Ash traveled around and tried to become as strong as he could by fighting strong opponents. Add to that that Charizard could essentially push Ash around with little consequence and would still be taken care of and it was a great situation for Charizard to find itself.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
He could. He didn't.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I think part of Charizard's personality had to do with what the PokéDex entries say (despite the entry showing up later, I kinda remember reading it elsewhere as a kid): "However, it never turns its fiery breath on any opponent weaker than itself." It could explain why Charizard refused to fight in various battles like against Sparky or even as a Charmeleon against Paras. Meanwhile, Charizard was quick to battle against Magmar, and in the first movie, he turned his flame on Mewtwo almost immediately. And then in Johto, he picks a fight with the bigger Charizard (but a lady Charizard was involved--nudge nudge). It's like Pokémon know when an opponent is strong, it's just some Pokémon have a bit of chivalry when it comes to that. You know?

So while I'm sure part of the reason Charizard was disobedient was because Ash wasn't that skilled of a trainer for a while, I'm sure it's possible he maintained the memories he had as a Charmander, so he stayed. If anything, I think he really was testing Ash to see if he could overcome it and be the trainer he had the potential to be. And by the time he was left in Charicific Valley, he really became loyal to Ash since. If Ash was anything like Damien from the start, I don't think as a Charmander he would've gone along with him, or as a Charizard would've done more to him than just Flamethrowering his face.

And even then, if Charizard had escaped and ran away from Ash, he is bound to the PokéBall. I doubt he would've gone very far, and he would've been discovered to be a runaway trained Pokémon at some point or another.

KJC

I didn't see any evidence that Charizard was taken out to feed him or anything like that.

Actually, I believe this is the answer:

Charizard is arrogant and lazy.

Just think about it. The answer to the question : Why didn't Charizard just run away? is another question : Why should Charizard run away?

Charizard has been under a trainer's care ever since it was a little Charmander. It's memories of living the wild are either feeble or non existent. It's similar to how we find it difficult to live on our own once we grow up. (Sure wanting to live on your own is common, but actually doing that involves taking pains). Charizard will never leave Ash's side for that reason because he basically thinks Ash as a home. Sure, you are a rebellious teenager who likes to spend time with friends, and hate your parents for babying you, but in the end home is the place where you always return to. (Note: This needn't be true in everyone's case. I am giving a general statement). Charizard is the same. He takes living with Ash for granted. He forgets the point that he needs to work hard to stay in Ash's team. I mean come on, you get Brock's tasty food, you get to boss around on the little ones around you and you don't need to do anything.

Charizard is strong, and because he's strong he believes he doesn't need to listen to anyone. He doesn't think that in the long run, if he doesn't listen to his trainer, a sensible trainer would release him. His inability to think beyond what he wants, his superiority complex, him taking for granted that Ash will NEVER abandon him (which is infact true. Ash never attempted to release Charizard iirc) are the reasons why he stayed and still didn't do any work.

TL;DR: Charizard took life for granted because getting free food and doing nothing is actually a good way to live life. The thought of leaving Ash would never occur to him.

Last edited:

KJC

Again, I never saw any evidence that they fed Charizard. I thought they kept him in the ball almost all the time because they were afraid.

Again, I never saw any evidence that they fed Charizard. I thought they kept him in the ball almost all the time because they were afraid.
It should be taken for granted considering Ash'a nature and personality. Then again, Pokemon eating foods wasn't shown much in Kanto. Doesn't disprove what I said anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.