• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Charizard's Burning Ambition! (136)

uber gon

Accept Change
I kinda hated the part where Misty and Brock said Ash had an unfair advantage because of Charizard. After all he's been through he DESERVED to reap the benefits of getting Charizard to obey him.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
This episode made a lot of people angry back in the day, because it originally looked like Charizard was released just like Pidgeot or Butterfree.

I remember people saying things like, "Ash finally got Charizard to obey him, and now he's releasing it?!"

Its one of the earliest reasons as to why the Johto saga got so much hate right from the start.

Of course NOW it doesn't matter anymore, since we've seen Charizard come back like 5 times since he left it here, the only difference is back then we had no clue if we'd ever see it again. Funny, this ep aired around 2001 or so in the U.S. Good times.

Kipcha

I kinda hated the part where Misty and Brock said Ash had an unfair advantage because of Charizard. After all he's been through he DESERVED to reap the benefits of getting Charizard to obey him.

Yeah, that really bugged me too. Just because it turned out to be powerful, it gave Ash an unfair advantage? That's like saying that people can't use Pokemon like Dragonite or Tyranitar because they raised them well to be powerful. Not a fair thing to expect of someone.

And with all the effort and Flamethrowers he took, he deserves a powerful Pokemon. I don't remember Brock or Misty rubbing their Pokemon to health until their hands nearly bled (Or did, can't remember... Were they just rubbed raw?).

pokemon fan 132

This was quite a sad episode but at the same time the one full of quality and interesting events which happened in it.I admit the first time when i saw this episode i didnt liked that Charizard had to leave.The whole episode of his leaving reminded me of Butterfree and Pidgeot leaving so this just heated the tension even more.It was kinda sad that Charizard had to leave after so much time being with Ash finally starting to obey him and many adventures which they went through together.However later i realized that this wasnt that bad at first glance.Charizard left to become stronger and him training with other Charizards at Charific Valley is a great lace for him.Besides we get to see him every now and than returning even stronger than he was.

One of the better episodes for sure.

Igottapoo

In my nightmares
Charizard needed to leave. He was just too powerful and Ash needed fresh Pokemon. Good riddance btw. Yay for Cyndaquil.

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
I think Charizard made the right choice in leaving, i don't think Ash was good enough to bring out its full potential.

Rex Kamex

I liked the music that played when Charizard was staying up all night in the water. That was the only episode I'd hear it from (although I think it might be Japanese music from one of the first two movies, probably the Mewtwo one- but I'm not sure).

Hibachi

Grass Pokemon Expert
I loved this episode. I loved the part where Charizard was trying to fly with Ash. However, I think that Ash made the right choice by leaving Charizard. If he would have taken Charizard, it would have been miserable and constantly thinking about all of the Charizards that were more powerful then itself. However, this makes Ash's party pokemon look fairly weak now. However it is still sad that Charizard is gone after all that its been through, including the struggle it had as a Charmander when Ash first found it.

Rex Kamex

I just got the Mewtwo movie soundtrack today, and I was right- the BGM I liked from this episode did come from one of the first two movies- the first one (that's the one I figured it would be the most).

Well, I'm glad that music made it somewhere in the dub...

It was a sad episode :( It took a lot of guts for Ash to do that. Overall, the episode gets a 9.5/10.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Great episode, but it was sad when Charizard left...
But i loved those big Charizard, they were realy strong.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Interesting to see an anime location that isn't in the games.

I loved this episode. It was a perfect way to release Charizard though if I may say, Ash could've trained Charizard himself.

I liked how even the female Charizard was stronger than Ash's Charizard. Well, the ending where Ash and Co. run away from the valley was epic and sad. 9/10

Afan

I think this needed to happen. Ash was a good trainer around that period but anyone could admit that their were better trainers around. Watching this episode now is easier to watch than when it first aired becasue I know that it will come back. (Stronger and Better than ever)

saar

Shiny Flygon
It was embarrassing to see Charizard losing to a those big Charizards. Ash should have returned it to its pokeball.

A desire it's not enough. It's good that Charizard stayed there.

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
This was a tough episode to watch. I was sad to see charizard left there but I understood Ash's intentions. At least it comes back every once in a while for epic battles and such.

RickHoenn

Banned
Oh Charizard! :( A lot of people thought it was gone forever, Sad but amazing episode still! Liza was hot 10/10

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
In the beginning of this episode, Ash's friends were acting like the people in the spoiler section of these threads do about the Takuto incident. They thought that if Ash kept on using Charizard it would be like using a legendary and that's why the writers got rid of it. So unfair.

Last edited:

Vernikova

Champion
Charizard got his *** whooped. Twice. It was nice seeing Charizard as a comedy relief character though (He had been doing just that in Johto though). Good to know that Charizard's flame doesn't go out when it goes into water though.