• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Charmander, the Stray Pokémon (011)

Benny™

Best Wishes Do Come True Under The Sun & Moon
I thought TR was better in some of the previous IL episodes but were still not bad.

I laughed when Misty kicked Rocko (Brock)!

Talking about Rocko I think he should have got Glumanda (Charmander), he did most of the work taking care of it and seemed to be more concerned overall.

Ash now receives his second starter Pokemon.
The last time I saw this episode was back when I saw it when it first aired on TV years and years ago, so I actually forgot how much of jerk Damien truly was.
He makes Gary look like the nicest guy in the world.

I'll admit, this was the first episode that made me feel sorry for the, what I'll call, the POTD (<Pokemon Of The Day) (Charmander).
Glad Charmander went with Ash and not that a-hole Damien.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
I thought TR was better in some of the previous IL episodes but were still not bad.

I laughed when Misty kicked Rocko (Brock)!

Talking about Rocko I think he should have got Glumanda (Charmander), he did most of the work taking care of it and seemed to be more concerned overall.

yeah i agree but i kinda like it that way it is cause that what make me love brock as a character for me
this episode is simply amazing this where you can say everyone shine in epsiode
brock shown his depth as a character
misty being funny and charming as well
ash got chramander
10/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Whoa that Damian guy was a jerk and I'm glad Charmander roasted him in the end. I liked the nighttime Charmander rescue scene and even Team rocket's rubber uniforms were a nice touch. I just wish Brock had gotten Charmander instead.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In this episode, I felt sorry for Charmander being left in the rain and abandoned by its Trainer. But after Ash caught it, I got hyped for Ash getting Charizard.

keepitsimple

site of lies
I sort of wish they left out the entire "Charmander dies if his tail flame is extinguished" part. Mostly because this raises too many questions:

- Charmander have to be raised in captivity in order to live because any rainfall could kill several of them, so how are there wild Charmanders?
- Wouldn't any battle, specifically against a rock, ground or water type, be a death risk because of this?
- Wouldn't Charmander, Charmeleon and Charizard be extinct or at least critically endangered because of this fatal weakness?

It's just too dumb :/

JudySpell

Banned
I sort of wish they left out the entire "Charmander dies if his tail flame is extinguished" part. Mostly because this raises too many questions:

- Charmander have to be raised in captivity in order to live because any rainfall could kill several of them, so how are there wild Charmanders?
- Wouldn't any battle, specifically against a rock, ground or water type, be a death risk because of this?
- Wouldn't Charmander, Charmeleon and Charizard be extinct or at least critically endangered because of this fatal weakness?

It's just too dumb :/

For the first one they probably just hide in caves during rain storms to avoid getting wet.

Gillachu

Banned
Damien had a pretty cool British accent and I agree with the people who thought that Brock deserved Charmander more than Ash did. :cool:

My favorite scene: Charmander roosting Damien's face at the end. I felt that Charmander's suffering is what made him disobedient later. :(

Leonhart

Imagineer
I really liked how Takeshi was the main one who wanted to rescue Hitokage from the storm, which makes me think that perhaps he was meant to capture Hitokage originally. Well, who knows for sure. I just loved seeing Hitokage find a new owner.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Boo. Brock not getting the Charamander was such a sad thing. Then again, he probably wouldn't have done anything with it anyway lol. There weren't many funny moments here and there wasn't a lot of battling either. Oh well.

Bananarama

The light is coming
I like Damian's accent, but my goodness was he a jerk. I'm happy that Ash caught Charmander here, and I like Team Rocket's bazooka too.

DatsRight

This was a memorable episode. Charmander sure started off a tearjerker of a Pokemon. What on earth happened?

Liked we got a huge display of Team Rocket showing their key difference from other comical villains (at least sometimes). Firstly they can become savvy to past errors, and secondly they can recycle schemes from old episodes with such corrections.

Damien kind of felt like a one note antagonist, an over saturated jerk of the highest order who gloats VERY LOUDLY in public about all the horrid things he does and how much pride he takes in it. He worked to make the plot flow (and I loved Pikachu helping Charmander give him his just deserts, one of his first 'big brother' moments) but he seemed to have zero character but being a big blob of expositioning nastiness. Funny how he sounds like Meowth putting on a bad British accent too. Maddie sure loved that voice in the early episodes, likely why Meowth ended up getting it when she took over as him.

Brock got some good character displays this episode (shame not many others after made him as proactive). One thing i noticed is that when he threatens Damien he sounds completely emotionless in English compared to the Japanese version. Usually I complain about lack of emotion in the dub, but it sort of worked in giving him a very controlled, subdued Batman-like menace towards Damien after the younger two were all set to scream blue murder at him, especially given how more stoic he was early on. "We can handle this like gentlemen or I can punch your teeth in."

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
What surprised me the most was how 4Kids kept the line about Charmander dying if his flame went out, which was weird since they usually avoided death references.

Given that Hitokage's life being in danger during the storm was such a vital part of the episode and was the most intense moment, the English dub needed to keep the dialogue that mentioned Hitokage's possible death intact. They could've tried sugar-coating it, but that would've ruined the suspense.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Why was Damian so cocky anyways? He kept bragging, yet we were never given a chance to see exactly why Damian was so overconfident.