• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cheating Devices VS Hard Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booly

I looked through the threads and did not see a topic dedicated for people to give their opinions on catching pokemon.

How many people use a cheating device such as Gameshark or Action Replay to get those hard to reach little buggers?

Personally, I wanted to "catch them all" and take the time to do it. It is a hobby I have. I bought emerald just so I could get cyndaquil, chikorita, and totodile. Then I completed my hoenn dex (not catching them all but seeing them all) and find out....I have to CATCH all the hoen pokemons in order to get the hoenn starter's reward. Well what a blow to the plan since several of the hoenn pokemon I needed were ONLY available at events....GBA pokemon events are gone and never to return, so that plan was foiled. Then I saw that if you beat pokemon XD Gale and beat all 100 trainers in Mt. Battle you are rewarded a cyndaquil, chikorita, or totodile... So I bought the game from gamestop and did just that...I beat Mt. Battle three times and got all three starters.

I got my deoxys from the gamestop event and thought it was a really cool. It kinda took the hobby to a new level. I like the fact that the events allow rare ones to appear, the only problem is...The events are few and far between. I don't have the means to travel all over the world for events either...

In order to finish my national dex, It is going to take a lot of time and "work" I need to breed and evolve a ton of them, but in the end that keeps the game going. It keeps me interested. And if I can collect them all and say I didn't use hacks....It is more bragging rights (even though no one really cares) than saying I hacked them all.

Now that being said, I bought trades for Mew, Manaphy, Arceus, Darkrai, Shaymin, and Celebi. The two traders I used claim that they are not hacked and they are from events giving event tickets. They even have screen shots of them catching them etc. But in the end they could all of been hacked. I can only take people at their word....

The point is the REALLY rare ones and impossible to get pokemon like Celebi I had to get by trading with someone that claimed they were legit. I didn't wait for an event, I just have the option to say...I didn't use a hack. But in the end I obtained it by trade.

In order to trade I clicked a few buttons...By using hacks you are just clicking a few buttons. Neither of us obtained them through an event...The only difference I have is that I can say I used the system designed for collecting (ie trade, catching), yet some of the trades could have been from hacks.... Who knows.

I don't personally want hacked pokemon, and am curious to see how many feel the same, or differnetly

Flamer

I personally agree with you. It's much more fun completing the Pokedex without the help of cheat devices. In my opinion, it gets rid of the challenging element of it, taking away all the fun. I do however, clone my shiny Mewtwo on emerald, (I caught it on firered) and trade it for event pokemon, (I always tell people that its cloned beforehand). This is becuase event rarely come to the Uk, and if they do, like with the Darkrai one, I always seem to be doing something I can't get out of. Obviously, I'd much prefer to go to the event and get the Pokemon myself, but since that isn't really a option, I try to do the next best thing, which in my opinion is trading for them.

I also agree with you. I filled my entire box like my dex is. But cause of the lack of events here I had to trade with other people to get the event pokémon.

However I have a Shaymin and Arceus who aren't legit. They're just rotting in my box, waiting for me to have a chance to get legit ones.

bookist

i think its pointless to use cheating devices as when you can get shaymin/arceus normally you wont be able to.

randomspot555

i think its pointless to use cheating devices as when you can get shaymin/arceus normally you wont be able to.

False. No one can stop them from downloading the Wonder Card at the event just because they hacked a Poke/an item.

EDIT: This topic is headed for doom. Sorry, but Serebii (the staff, Serebii himself, and most of the users here) are very anti-hackers. These threads basically turn into "omgzzers teh hax0rz runin evrythin XD" ad nauseum.

Last edited:

Flamer

Personallly, I'm not anti-hackers. I just chose not to do it. What other people do with thier games is thier choice. As long as they don't try and trade me a hacked pokemon claiming that it's legit.

Xenieon

mainly a Gen IV player
Cheating is an immoral, irresponsible way of "finishing" the game and it takes all the fun out of it. Yes, it's faster, but what's the point of spending $40/$30 on a video game if you're not actually gonna play it, but just cheat your way through? That'll just make people dislike you. I never bought a game to "catch 'em all", but I still never cheated at all just to get the ugly goat we know as "Arceus". I do have a LEGIT Shaymin, however.

PS: This thread is headed for doom since it's one-sided since it's illegal to support cheating, and, to an extent, cloning on SPPf, so the only opinions are anti-cheating.

Well the only reason I am going to get an action replay for my DS is Celebi. We may never get a chance to get it in Europe (Especially after Pikachu and Charizard were voted the most wanted Pokemon in Europe!), and possibly the Darkrai event (I have a ligit Darkrai, I just want to do the event as well)

SapphireSwampert

Worldend Dominator
Well, not everyone uses it to catch Pokemon, max items, 999 in all stats. /:
I use my AR to get rare candies, but only after I max out my pokemon's EV's. That way I don't have to spend forever to level them up. But I don't use it to catch any pokemon, even the Events. Which in my opinion are too hyped.

oddish_the_uber

I do use AR but only to get event pokemon and speed up breeding. I believe this is okay, but doing something like wonderguard on SpiritTomb is not.

Booly

Personallly, I'm not anti-hackers. I just chose not to do it. What other people do with thier games is thier choice. As long as they don't try and trade me a hacked pokemon claiming that it's legit.

Well I wouldn't claim to be militant about hackers, but I definitely feel better about catching them on my own.

I mean I went to the extent of buying the Colosseum bonus disk off of ebay to get my Jirachi. I also beat XD Gale and purified Lugia the right way...

I now have to beat Colossuem to get Ho-Oh.

It prolongs the hobby to get them all.

I also want to get the ones I use to lvl 100 on my own...Why hack it? What's the benefit of that?

oddish_the_uber

I do use AR but only to get event pokemon and speed up breeding. I believe this is okay, but doing something like wonderguard on SpiritTomb is not.

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
I think its hilarious.
If Nintendo just stopped making these stupid EVENT Pokemon, all this *****ing and whining would cease. Sorry Nintendo, I don't have like a thousand dollars to catch a flight to Tokyo just so I can get a bunch of pixels and stats downloaded to my game which I should have been able to get in-game because I paid a good $40 for it....

Last edited:

oddish_the_uber

Booly

I think its hilarious.
If Nintendo just stopped making these stupid EVENT Pokemon, all this *****ing and whining would cease. Sorry Nintendo, I don't have like a thousand dollars to catch a flight to Tokyo just so I can get a bunch of pixels and stats downloaded to my game which I should have been able to get in-game because I paid a good $40 for it....

But then why play the game at all? Why not just get AR and produce all 493 pokemon level 100 to sit around and blink at?

The game literally takes 12 hours to beat. Anyone can beat it without cheats in like two days tops (unless you have 12 straight hours to kill)... The point of the fad is to prolong it's enjoyment or cult status by making it a chore. I mean I now own Fire Red, Leaf Green, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Colosseum, XD Gale, and Pearl so that I could get that much closer to owning them. Nintendo designed the game(s) so that you spend more to obtain more. I had to beat Fire three times with the three different starters to get the legendary dogs. I definitely feel better about those "pixels" then if I had just entered a Gameshark code to get them...

I'm not trying to convince you to think like me or to say, "I'm better than you." I am trying to understand what the draw is to hacking pokemon and then hacking their levels?

Booly

I think its hilarious.

But then why play the game at all? Why not just get AR and produce all 493 pokemon level 100 to sit around and blink at?

The game literally takes 12 hours to beat. Anyone can beat it without cheats in like two days tops (unless you have 12 straight hours to kill)... The point of the fad is to prolong it's enjoyment or cult status by making it a chore. I mean I now own Fire Red, Leaf Green, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Colosseum, XD Gale, and Pearl so that I could get that much closer to owning them. Nintendo designed the game(s) so that you spend more to obtain more. I had to beat Fire three times with the three different starters to get the legendary dogs. I definitely feel better about those "pixels" then if I had just entered a Gameshark code to get them...

I'm not trying to convince you to think like me or to say, "I'm better than you." I am trying to understand what the draw is to hacking pokemon and then hacking their levels?

randomspot555

^^^He's referring to Pokemon only available by event, not randomly hacking every single Pokemon. Celebi, for example, has had only 4 or 5 events total and only two of them were outside of Japan (Hong Kong and the 10 ANIV US one). He's also talking about Pokemon that are in the game but aren't accessible without attending an event (Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus in D/P; Ho-Oh and Lugia in FR/LG/Emerald, Mew in Emerald)

blitzerzero

Romanoff Kaiser NEX
False. No one can stop them from downloading the Wonder Card at the event just because they hacked a Poke/an item.

EDIT: This topic is headed for doom. Sorry, but Serebii (the staff, Serebii himself, and most of the users here) are very anti-hackers. These threads basically turn into "omgzzers teh hax0rz runin evrythin XD" ad nauseum.
Serebii's one big flaw, kinda like the fact that the Yugioh Card Maker forum's one big flaw is all of the people are hating on Normal Monsters, just like many people here are hating on hackers. Can't wait to see a radical...

Cheating is an immoral, irresponsible way of "finishing" the game and it takes all the fun out of it.

Immoral? Irresponsible? Some people don't care. There are hackers out there, that are actually responsible, and it's their choice to cheat and hack. And all you anti-hackers speak of fun, and how cheating and hacking take it away. Most likely, you're all just jealous of the hackers for getting things you don't have.

Yes, it's faster, but what's the point of spending $40/$30 on a video game if you're not actually gonna play it, but just cheat your way through? That'll just make people dislike you.

There are people that will not dislike a hacker, but kiss up to them to get their event legendaries and perfect EVs. The only common reason people will dislike a hacker is above.

I never bought a game to "catch 'em all", but I still never cheated at all just to get the ugly goat we know as "Arceus". I do have a LEGIT Shaymin, however.

Tch, nothing to boast about.

PS: This thread is headed for doom since it's one-sided since it's illegal to support cheating, and, to an extent, cloning on SPPf, so the only opinions are anti-cheating.
Like I said, Serebii's one big flaw. >_>

UK had a Darkrai event.

I don't care what others think of me, why should I be denied the right to get event Pokemon, with an AR, I don't have to worry about not being able to go to the events cause I can just download the wondercard dumps off the Internet.

You have your methods, I me and others that own an AR have ours, we don't have to play the way you do cause its our game that we brought with our money.
My thoughts exactly (even though I don't hack.)

I think its hilarious.

Tch, there are other reasons to cheat and hack...

Togekiss•Torchic

Aaaaaaah~♫
i would use an ar but my ds earse all cheats my cousin ar codes got deleted has this happened to anyone but if i could i would only use it for quick hatching and stuff

Dig-kun

I´m against cheating devices
I prefer to go after each pokémon to after you get all of them
you can look at ur pokedéx and think that every pokémon there you who got by hard work

Just look at my sig
\/
\/
\/
If you´re against the clones, go there and be an active member
helping against cloning
and, plz, tell you saw my sig and it was me that indicated you at your signup post
:D
\/
\/

Status
Not open for further replies.