• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cheating Devices VS Hard Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

XD Mewtwo

Void#ZX0
I been doing the hard work of captureing pokemon since red and blue came out. I need to migrate a shuckle to my pearl and I will have my pokedex complete. 492/493
Really it is not hard to catch them all.
Really I am bored beyond belief.(It is a problem I have always had)
The AR do amuse me a little with teaching some pokemon the new Platinium move tutor moves. There is nothing wrong for my luxray to use magnet rise before Platinium is out in the United States.
I did cloning and I got a lot of event pokemon from the GTS.
But i quit doing it for two reasons:1. All my boxes are about full, 2. I have about a box full of various event mews.

Sinnohdragon

Dragoness~
Personaly, i dispise the use of cheating devices as they take away the whole point of the game. Not only is it far too easy to get pokemon, but with AR you can do stupid things like walking through walls. I'm surprised that this doesn't always mess the game right up.

Dispite this, many people just have no other option. Not everyone can go to far away events, and thats if they even know that they're happening. And pokemon which have had their event long since happen, are practically unobtainable for so many people. You can see why people cheat.

I try to play my game as honestly as possible. Any pokemon that i can get naturally, i do. But for Deoxys e.c.t, i have been forced to trade hacked ones from other people. I point blank refuse to cheat myself, so taking other people's clones is the worst that i'll accept. People like me, who don't even have acess to wifi, need some way of completeing the games.

trip_dering

Team Legendz Boss
I *admit* to using AR. But only to give myself 999 Dive Balls and stuff like all the seals, etc. Why? 'Cuz I love Dive Balls.

I have a team of uberhax I use only if someone asks me to use them, and even then they got beaten once or twice.

Hacking to boost yourself competitively is wrong on many levels.
Hacking to tweak your ingame stats is ~wrong.
Hacking to make a pocket full of balls = priceless :3. (NOT Master/Safari/Cherish/Park Balls)

Anyway, I lost my AR so I can't hack anymore.

NinjaBaker

Please someone give me a reason why somebody would want to trade their rare pokemon for something that might not be as rare. I think everyone who is trading events has cloned their poke. To be honest, I do it too because i really dont see a difference between the 2. ;339;

Cheating is and has been prevalent in pokemon games for a while, so it's something that must be accepted. I personally cheat when I'm bored with a game and want something interesting to happen or want to level up faster. Not that I don't enjoy raising pokemon (one of the main reasons the games are fun) but it's also enjoyable once in a while to do something ordinarily impossible.

randomspot555

Personaly, i dispise the use of cheating devices as they take away the whole point of the game. Not only is it far too easy to get pokemon, but with AR you can do stupid things like walking through walls. I'm surprised that this doesn't always mess the game right up.

I thought the "whole point of the game" was to have fun.

Who are you to take away someone's fun just because you don't like it?

TobiasBR

Shiny Lover
Well, I have never used a cheating device, so of course I go for hard working, everything I have ever achieved was due to my hard working.
But what is happening at each new generation is making me worried. Back in R/B/Y only 1 pokemon was obtainable through an event, in G/S/C the number increased to 2 (Glitches don't count because these pokemon weren't supposed to be gotten this way). In R/S/LG/FR/E there are many event only pokemon, and this number is increasing each new generation. There are many players out there who don't live in a country where they make these events, including myself. So I guess that using a cheating device to catch an event only pokemon is ok, but if you want to battle with other people using that pokemon you have to warn them.
But honestly, what I think it really matters is to have fun, if you are having fun using a cheating device who cares? Use it at your own risk.

Mewtwo152

Not dead yet.
I don't like Pokesav(SUX!) or anything, but I think cloning is fine, as well as mabye taking other glitches for personal gain. AR is okay for mabey getting more moolah or somthing, but otherwise its ok.

Grei

not the color
I just used the AR to get the Membership Pass, Oak's Letter, and Azure Flute. I have to say, I feel sorta empty, like I cheated to finish the game.

Then I remembered my Pokemon were only in their 60's (levels), that my Pokedex is only about half full, and that I still have a lot to do before I fill up my GTS globe.

However, I can now say that I do not like cheating devices. For that reason, I'll never use them to get a specific Pokemon (other than the three mentioned earlier). I'll use cheating devices, but not for the actual game.

randomspot555

I just used the AR to get the Membership Pass, Oak's Letter, and Azure Flute. I have to say, I feel sorta empty, like I cheated to finish the game

These were programmed into the game so people could actually play them. No one should feel bad about accessing them just because Nintendo/Gamefreak decided to keep the key items from us.

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!
Here's where I get hissy at:

Hard work =/= Skill. It's true, in a way. I seen some of the laziest people ever, not doing any work in school or any manual labor, yet ace all their tests as if they were nothing. Hacking is only allowing you to get the pokémon you want, but in less than 5 minutes. If you wish to waster nigh-on 300 hours JUST to breed the perfect natured pokémon, but see it have bad IVs, go ahead. I don't even mind getting hacked pokémon from trades. All I want is a weapon, that's it.

itsme

(ノ@皿@)ノ ~ lolwut?
Seriously though, once you hack, you can never go back >_>. I really had fun messing around on my friend's R-4'd Pearl, but all the walking through walls and stuff took the fun out of breeding and catching Pokemon through hard work >_>.... (yes, breeding is fun to me for some apparent reason >_>)..

CHG-Swampert

CHG Co-Lead Swampert
AR is ok for like lvling up or getting items and money but when they use the raise stat thing to get 999 stats for everything, then it gets noob

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!
Seriously though, once you hack, you can never go back >_>. I really had fun messing around on my friend's R-4'd Pearl, but all the walking through walls and stuff took the fun out of breeding and catching Pokemon through hard work >_>.... (yes, breeding is fun to me for some apparent reason >_>)..

Like I said, if you want to breed and waste time, I can't stop you. For me, I rather try and get a cheating device (Darn you, Wal-Mart, for not selling anything I want when I get the money.) But yeah, hard work does not equate to skill.

Golde

Always Searching~
It depends on how you feel, obviously.

If you know you'll never get an arceus, and it happens to be your fav...it should be your choice whether or not to hack to get it.

Of course, I am against it at some points, like, say, if I'm on the other end of a trade including one.

Tyranitarphantom

seems so familiar...
i use AR to train (like RCs after EV training), but i dont hack my pokemon. it gives a huge feeling of accomplishment when you know you've raised an excellent pokemon.

though i must agree with kimba on one thing. People do mistake hard work with skill. im one of those kids, as said, who slacks in school but does perfect on tests. (School grades =/= intellegence). i dislike it when i see people claim they lost because the opponent "hacked" (even if they didnt), under the false logic that they are guaranteed the win because their game has 500 hours on it from training

Grei

not the color
AR is ok for like lvling up or getting items and money but when they use the raise stat thing to get 999 stats for everything, then it gets noob

Leveling up with a hacking device is pretty "noob" as it is. By leveling up with a hacking device, you're defeating one of the main purposes of the game and cheating to make yourself better. I hacked the items for Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus because I wanted completion; chances are, I'll never use them for actual battle (except Darkrai, but only in-game).

And randomspot, thank you. :)

The_Real_Tyson

The Forgotten Beast
You gusy don't understand why people really hack....

First off you need to understand why people competitive battle. they do it for fun. Why the heck would they waste their time breeding for right IVs when they could get the pokemon asap? So then the game would be more fun and you could use a different variety of pokemon instead of playing hours to get that Cresselia. Honestly i don't mind as what people call "Legit Hacking". TBH No one hacks to get a stupid wondertomb when they can't use it on competitive battling.

Cloning actually is just meh.

golduck#1

hard work is way better. it makes everything more fun. for example like um better. also cloning isn't really hacking i dunno why every one says it is

Status
Not open for further replies.