• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cheating on your partner.. is it as wrong as people make it out to be

Status
Not open for further replies.
I detest people who cheat.
If they really want another boy-/girlfriend they should just break up with their main one.
Having 2 boy-/girlfriends just isn't right.

Richarizard

conspicuous absence
Depends on what kind of force the partner is applying I suppose.

But I can't imagine a scenario where cheating is the best solution. Understanding emotions aside and depending on the coercing, cheating would make someone who used coercion even more angry and hurt. If you are physically forced or abuse to stay in a relationship, just tell somebody. Don't drag another person into the drama.

It doesn't necessarily need to be 'Physical' abuse. Psychological abuse can sometimes be just as horrid as Physical.

I agree that it isn't the best solution, but it may feel like the only option for some people if they're being emotionally or physically abused (to whatever degree). They may have no one to talk to, or struggle to talk to the people that they do have. They may have tried to break it off, but were pressured into staying. Do you think then the blame lies on the cheater, the abuser or are both at fault?

I don't think all situations are simply black and white - there are occasions where more then just the fact they cheated has to be taken into account.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I would say both would receive blame.

Although I don't think it's necessarily looking at it as black and white if I say cheating is never acceptable. There's a difference between saying it's understandable and then saying it's acceptable.

There are very few real life situations I can picture that would make it acceptable (like the scenario you described), but more than half the time, it's really the individual cheater to actually decide to cheat.

You can call me biased if you want (as I've experienced it first-hand), but on the topic of cheating as a single thing, it's wrong. Stealing is wrong by itself, but if a guy is robbing a church to save his son from cancer, am I going to change my viewpoint on that.. in any significant way?

I guess... I really wouldn't.

Psychic

Really and truly
Very true - but at what point would you deem a relationship committed? And what if one person is more so than the other, does that constitute as a committed relationship?
Uh, whenever the people in the relationship say so? Most partners at some point or other decide whether or not they're monogamous, and even if they don't officially say it, one would generally assume so at a certain point.

There's also the consideration of people feeling trapped in a relationship. If the emotions aren't mutual between both people, but one feels too pressured to be able to call it off - they may end up cheating. But who would be in the wrong here? The person who cheated, or the one making the other feel like they cannot leave?
Both are in the wrong. Simple enough.

Depends on what kind of force the partner is applying I suppose.

But I can't imagine a scenario where cheating is the best solution.
No, cheating is never the solution to a problem, but I don't think people see it as such. Maybe they see it as a way to make a tough situation more bearable, but that's about it. If it's any kind of solution, it's a temporary one, like if the individual is looking for a bit of excitement, or just needs to get off. I don't think anyone will really argue otherwise.

Understanding emotions aside and depending on the coercing, cheating would make someone who used coercion even more angry and hurt. If you are physically forced or abuse to stay in a relationship, just tell somebody. Don't drag another person into the drama.
Unfortunately, that can often be easier said than done. In a relationship with coercion, physical force or any other abuse, you can also expect to see threatening. If you're told "if you leave me or go for help, I'll do x" then the fear can stop you dead in your tracks. Rationale is replaced by instincts to do anything to prevent retaliation.

So yes, cheating on that kind of person is obviously a stupid move, because cheating is never a smart move to begin with. But unfortunately, often getting help isn't an option, either.

I would say both would receive blame.

Although I don't think it's necessarily looking at it as black and white if I say cheating is never acceptable. There's a difference between saying it's understandable and then saying it's acceptable.
Pretty much agreed with all this.

~Psychic

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Very true - but at what point would you deem a relationship committed? And what if one person is more so than the other, does that constitute as a committed relationship?

There's also the consideration of people feeling trapped in a relationship. If the emotions aren't mutual between both people, but one feels too pressured to be able to call it off - they may end up cheating. But who would be in the wrong here? The person who cheated, or the one making the other feel like they cannot leave?
Glad to see that evene after all this time away... Nothings changes.

Committed relationships are just that when both partners stop all "extra curricular activities" and devote their efforts to teh one relationship. If one partner is "less committed" then the relationship will probably fail fail so the relationship isn't' a committed relationship. Feeling of being trapped is not a committed relationship because if you feel trapped you don't have a committed heart.

The Cheater is always in the wrong. Breaking trust is never the moral high ground.

Here's another question that has to do with cheating. Do you think one partner has the right to violate the others privacy to "catch" him or her cheating?

My answer is: hell no. There's alot of spy cams and even computer programs where you can crack passwords and bank account passwords. You can even listen to phone conversations. No one has a right to violate someone else's privacy (well unless if your a parent and you know.... child) and this is no exception.

In my English Class, we are finishing up the Scarlet Letter, which I feel should be mentioned.

The character Hester Prynn cheats on her Husband, who forced a marriage. She didn't love him, and what he did (arranging the marriage) was pretty cruel. She had an affair with the minister, and in turn had a baby. The point made by Nathaniel Hawthorne is, was this 'adulterous scandal' justified?

I feel like it was. I felt like, since he had committed a 'sin', she had every right to give in to her pressure. She showed her husband, and he deserved it. I don't know, sometimes, it feels like people deserve it?

In my English Class, we are finishing up the Scarlet Letter, which I feel should be mentioned.

The character Hester Prynn cheats on her Husband, who forced a marriage. She didn't love him, and what he did (arranging the marriage) was pretty cruel. She had an affair with the minister, and in turn had a baby. The point made by Nathaniel Hawthorne is, was this 'adulterous scandal' justified?

I feel like it was. I felt like, since he had committed a 'sin', she had every right to give in to her pressure. She showed her husband, and he deserved it. I don't know, sometimes, it feels like people deserve it?

I've read the story before and she had to wear a scarlett letter A right?

I don't think it was justified. I mean yeah back in the day, divorce wasn't really an option and there were people who were forced to marry but speaking in a modern sense, there's really no excuse to cheat.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Here's another question that has to do with cheating. Do you think one partner has the right to violate the others privacy to "catch" him or her cheating?

My answer is: hell no. There's alot of spy cams and even computer programs where you can crack passwords and bank account passwords. You can even listen to phone conversations. No one has a right to violate someone else's privacy (well unless if your a parent and you know.... child) and this is no exception.
If you got caught cheating, and you complain about being spied on, you're an *******. Enough said.

Roaring Apathy

Fight the good fight
If you got caught cheating, and you complain about being spied on, you're an *******. Enough said.

There is the other side of that however, what if turns out the person who was being spied on WASNT cheating? Could you blame the person for having no trust in the person being spied on, and is as bad if the other person HAD cheated?

Spying is pretty much a gamble in that respect.

All in all, I find cheating to be a very childish thing, not because of the cheating itself but because it can be easily avoided. Not happy with the girl/guy you're with now?
Just. Come. OUT with it. Dear lord people make it such an issue which is why i find it so childish. Ive even heard arguments that breaking up makes the person wanting to break up an ***hole but that just pants on head retarded. It makes you more of an ***hole to keep it going when there is no love in the relationship, BECAUSE THATS WHAT ITS FOR. Its not a contract like some people make it out to be, its a damn commitment you make to some one you love. If the love is not there, theres no longer a point to dragging out the inevitable.

That and NTR is a *****. No one wants to be NTR'd

Kaiserin

please wake up...

This often entails things that go about as far over the proverbial line as the act of cheating itself, like stalking, reading emails, being controlling... So I'd say no, because those aren't things that should be encouraged or excused any more than adultery itself, really.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
It depends on whether the person had grounds to spy on the other in the first place.

And what's NTR?

This often entails things that go about as far over the proverbial line as the act of cheating itself, like stalking, reading emails, being controlling... So I'd say no, because those aren't things that should be encouraged or excused any more than adultery itself, really.

Wow someone agrees lol

Yeah, I find those things to be laughable and to be connected to those who are afraid to let their partner have a social life outside of them.

Psychic

Really and truly
Anyone who is controlling and willing to invade their partner's privacy has issues, imo.

Short for netorare, its a japanese term.

Thats the most ill go into it. Rather not mention more of it here. If you want to know more google it. Also, as a precaution bear in mind the term is nsfw.
The English word for this is "cuckold," which is a man whose partner committed adultery. (The term for a female victim is "cuckquean.") Cuckoldry was actually a very popular theme in English literature and plays, many of which were comedies. In fact, often the protagonist of the story would be the person doing the cuckolding. The reader/audience often wouldn't be made to feel pity for the cuckold, especially since they would often "have it coming" in the story.

This isn't a popular theme anymore, though it is interesting to know that it lives on through this netorare. (I'm not really sure how the concept itself is any more NSFW than the rest of the conversation, though.)

It's also worth considering that this is also a fetish, and that there are people who are aroused by the idea of their significant other cheating on them. That said, in my opinion it doesn't sound like actual cheating if it's consensual and both partners agree on doing it. The cuckold can still feel humiliated (which is part of the excitement for many), but if they agreed to have their significant other have sex with another person, the significant other isn't, by definition, cheating. :p

That's how I see it, anyway. Food for thought.

~Psychic

Buuz

Smash Trainer
There are even commercials for cheating on your partner these days. People usually don't like to be betrayed, so don't cheat if you don't want to be cheated on yourself. My former girlfriend cheated on me and confessed. She wasn't drunk, she was asked if she had a boyfriend three times and she still agreed. From that moment on i decided that i would never cheat on any girl i would date.

Roaring Apathy

Fight the good fight
The English word for this is "cuckold," which is a man whose partner committed adultery. (The term for a female victim is "cuckquean.") Cuckoldry was actually a very popular theme in English literature and plays, many of which were comedies. In fact, often the protagonist of the story would be the person doing the cuckolding. The reader/audience often wouldn't be made to feel pity for the cuckold, especially since they would often "have it coming" in the story.

Ah, I forgot there was an english term for this. NTR does go a bit more in depth than that though, and can be decribed more as a feeling rather than a circumstance.

(I'm not really sure how the concept itself is any more NSFW than the rest of the conversation, though.)

Its heavily associated with ero works in japan. If any one must, it would be best not to google image the term around company atleast.

It's also worth considering that this is also a fetish, and that there are people who are aroused by the idea of their significant other cheating on them. That said, in my opinion it doesn't sound like actual cheating if it's consensual and both partners agree on doing it. The cuckold can still feel humiliated (which is part of the excitement for many), but if they agreed to have their significant other have sex with another person, the significant other isn't, by definition, cheating. :p

It usually still works within media anyways. One can still have that feeling of betrayal from a fictional story involving this concept. Once again though its usually only within japanese ero works, but regardless its still a prominent fetish in that respect.

Anyone who is controlling and willing to invade their partner's privacy has issues, imo.

Which is why Cheaters makes me laugh everytime. XD

But yeah, even in modern times, I've seen people, girls in particular, being overly controlling on who their partners could hang out with and be friends with. I mean, why should your partner stop being friends with a certain person because *YOU* don't like them?

Status
Not open for further replies.