• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Chibi has a new scratch pixel art style =P

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Three years ago I made my first sprite from scratch.

Reynile.gif

...Yeah.

And though I've gotten better since then, my spriting style for the most part hadn't changed at all. So...I decided to try my hand at large-scale pixel arts. Some of you may have seen these before since I already posted them at PC, DA, and a few other places.

Lugia_by_Chibi_Pika.png
Lucario_by_Chibi_Pika.png
Latis.png
Tyranitar.png

Blaziken1.png
Shiny_Lucario_Pixel_Art_by_Chibi_Pika.png

I did a Mewtwo and a Mew, but I don't like the way they came out much.

~Chibi~;249;;448;

Last edited:

SHINY CATCHER

Epic Snake is Epic!
OMG!
these are some of the best pixel overs I have ever saw
you have to make more
the only one I have a problem with is tyranitar's face but they are still all great

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
OMG!
these are some of the best pixel overs I have ever saw
you have to make more
the only one I have a problem with is tyranitar's face but they are still all great
Actually, they're not pixel overs. At least, I think the literal definition of a pixel over is taking a pic and tracing it to be a pixel art, but I drew them right in paint. ;)

Do you think Tyranitar's face is too long or not angled right, or what?

~Chibi~;249;;448;

-Espacio-

Wait, these are all scratches? O____________O These are some of the best scratch sprites i've ever seen :D I love your style of shading, it looks so beautiful! Can I have lessons? :p The only problem i see are those black things(i wouldn't call them ears) on the back of Rukario's(yes, i still use the japanese names ;) ) head. They look a little pillow shaded, do you see what i'm saying?

P.S. Do you take requests? :3

Jazzy

Typical
Holy-

There flippin awesome! hell, there almost (if not as) good as the official art! I see no problems with the first three, but tyranitar doesnt really seem to be doing much. Its not really glaring, even, just standing there. Itd look better if it was about to throw a punch....or a mountain.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Wait, these are all scratches? O____________O These are some of the best scratch sprites i've ever seen :D I love your style of shading, it looks so beautiful! Can I have lessons? :p The only problem i see are those black things(i wouldn't call them ears) on the back of Rukario's(yes, i still use the japanese names ;) ) head. They look a little pillow shaded, do you see what i'm saying?

P.S. Do you take requests? :3
I wouldn't say pillow shaded, but yeah, the shading on his aura sensors had been bugging me, so I might as well finally edit it. :p

And I -might- take a request, but pretty much only for Pokemon I can draw well. Dragons, other reptiles, a decent number of the animalish ones.
Oh. So yoou are Clawed Nyasuu. Good job, just as on PT.
Kehe, ya caught me. ;) I'm surprised, as someone from PC also saw these on Pixeltendo.
Holy-

There flippin awesome! hell, there almost (if not as) good as the official art! I see no problems with the first three, but tyranitar doesnt really seem to be doing much. Its not really glaring, even, just standing there. Itd look better if it was about to throw a punch....or a mountain.
Lol, yeah, I'm not the greatest at drawing Tyranitar, so I decided to
go with something simple. xP

~Chibi~;249;;448;

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Just me
These are still good.

The Lugia is definitely best; it's just frigging beautiful. The pose, expression and shading are all done well. I've never felt as inclined to like Lugia. =P Admittedly I find the shading on the spikes on the back a little odd, but I suppose you didn't want to leave them flat.

The Lucario has a well done pose, but really weird shading, particularly on the tail which completely randomly has a light source of its own. The aura sensors, as pointed out, are also shaded a bit sloppily. I think you'd do nicely to reshade that one.

Latios and Latias I don't think I've commented on before. I love their poses, but Latias's ears seem to be sticking out of the side of her head, making them look odd. The paw that's under Latios's body also looks a bit weird, and again, his lower wing has a randomly different light source from everything else.

The Tyranitar is the worst one. You should have some sort of a shadow both under the spikes above its eyes and on the tail just by the body, and that unnaturally straight line across the lower three spikes on the back just looks strange. In general, really, I think one of your most major problems here is that you don't seem to like to make parts actually cast shadows on other parts unless you absolutely have to and use shading mostly to define the shape of the part being shaded. Here Tyranitar's neck and body would cast shadows on the spikes on the back, and the body would cast a shadow on part of the tail. The front of the body under the arm is also missing the black spots that ought to be there, and something really bugs me about the anatomy of the head or neck but I can't really put my finger on what. ><; The arms also look awfully stiff, awkward and unjointed. The shading on the leg that's closer to us to indicate the lower joint looks really odd. Also, the tip of the tail is yet another one of those sudden-new-lightsource parts.

And show the Mewtwo and Mew. I wanna seeeeee. D:

And I -might- take a request, but pretty much only for Pokemon I can draw well. Dragons, other reptiles, a decent number of the animalish ones.
Ooh. You should try a Charizard. :D Or a Grovyle. (Man, that would make elyvorg happy.)

zaxly100

Glalie Luva
OMZ!!! (Oh my zeus) these are amzering! coud you try to do a scratch Glalie? Make it cute!!

Marco612

-=Marco=-
love the lugia
GJ!!!

meh

suave
Wow, these are simply incredible. Like people have been saying, tyranitar isn't as good as the rest. It looks kind of rubbery from the shading and to smooth. Lugia and Lucario are fantastic. The shading on latios is awesome.

Medical Meccanica

give me the booty
Dragonfree's said pretty much everything I was going to say, except this:
Tyranitar's a rock-type. Rocks are normally rough. Please, please at least try dithering Tyranitar. It'll give it that 'realistic' look (sorry if you're not into that), and make it look dynamic.

Asuran

There are a few outline issues that could use some attending too. Most noticeable on Lugia and Lucario. AA could take it out.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
The Lucario has a well done pose, but really weird shading, particularly on the tail which completely randomly has a light source of its own. The aura sensors, as pointed out, are also shaded a bit sloppily. I think you'd do nicely to reshade that one.
The tail is called: I looked at it and couldn't figure out where the hell to put the shading. xP It's been called out before, and I've stared at it trying to figure out how to do it, but failed. What with the light source being in the top right, but the tail being at a down left angle, neither side seemed to work. *_*

Latios and Latias I don't think I've commented on before. I love their poses, but Latias's ears seem to be sticking out of the side of her head, making them look odd. The paw that's under Latios's body also looks a bit weird, and again, his lower wing has a randomly different light source from everything else.
Hm...her ears do splay out more than Latios's, but I might have done them too far. Latios's left paw was indeed really hard part to do, one that still bugs me for reasons I can't figure out.

The Tyranitar is the worst one. You should have some sort of a shadow both under the spikes above its eyes and on the tail just by the body, and that unnaturally straight line across the lower three spikes on the back just looks strange. In general, really, I think one of your most major problems here is that you don't seem to like to make parts actually cast shadows on other parts unless you absolutely have to and use shading mostly to define the shape of the part being shaded. Here Tyranitar's neck and body would cast shadows on the spikes on the back, and the body would cast a shadow on part of the tail. The front of the body under the arm is also missing the black spots that ought to be there, and something really bugs me about the anatomy of the head or neck but I can't really put my finger on what. ><; The arms also look awfully stiff, awkward and unjointed. The shading on the leg that's closer to us to indicate the lower joint looks really odd. Also, the tip of the tail is yet another one of those sudden-new-lightsource parts.
The head spike and base of the tail missing shading makes perfect sense and is one of those "why didn't I notice?" type things. xP The flat shading on the lower set of spikes was me trying to convey how they're not rounded like the first set, but more like a flat plate...and kinda failing at doing so. I dunno what you mean about missing black spots...

Tyranitar's tail tip, Lucario's tail, and Latios's left wing = ongoing problem that has me confused every time I sprite. How do you shade something at an angle opposite of the light source? The top is higher, but further away, and the bottom is closer, but seemingly too low.

And show the Mewtwo and Mew. I wanna seeeeee. D:
Kehhhh... x_X Alright...the Mew I don't mind so much, but my drawing style for Mew is an awkward mix of anime and manga styles. The Mewtwo I have no excuses...it just didn't come out as good as my normal drawings of him.

Chronologically, they were made after the Latis.
Mew1.png
Mewtwo1.png

Mewtwo's tail/right hand = need help. *_* I think I know how to fix the torked anatomy, but those...just...

Ooh. You should try a Charizard. :D Or a Grovyle. (Man, that would make elyvorg happy.)
Ironically enough, I was considering one of those two. :p
There are a few outline issues that could use some attending too. Most noticeable on Lugia and Lucario. AA could take it out.
Well, considering that I AA-ed everything I could find on those two, I admittedly can't see what you mean. =P Maybe more of an explanation as to what I did wrong?
Dragonfree's said pretty much everything I was going to say, except this:
Tyranitar's a rock-type. Rocks are normally rough. Please, please at least try dithering Tyranitar. It'll give it that 'realistic' look (sorry if you're not into that), and make it look dynamic.
Eeeeerm...yeah, dithering, um...I'd do it if I, well...didn't fail at it. *chuckles* Seriously. *_*

~Chibi~;249;;448;

MorningStar

I have to say Lugia is definitely the best. The shading and pose is excellent. The shading on the spikes a bit odd but well, of course you wouldn't want it to look flat.

Lucario's pose and shading is okay except that how you shaded the tail makes it seem like it has another light source and the shading of the black things at the back of Lucario's head looks weird.

The Latis' pose and shading are good except one of Latias ears look odd and one of the wings of latios seem like it has a different light source.

The tyranitar is the worst. Tyranitar's neck should cast a shadow on the spikes and tyranitar's body should cast a shadow on a part of the tail. The arms look stiff and tha tail is too long to me. And the tip of the tail looks like it has a different light sourse and the straight line under the spikes of tyranitar looks weird.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
OML (OH MAH LORD!)
Even your first 3 year old sprite is filled with PwNaGe!
Keep up the good work!
(Thy olny problem is that Tyranitar's tail is a bit too... long X-X.)

mielad2

Ohnoez!! OMG HELP!!!
These are very good sprites.
Like Dragonfree said some need help but still. You are a little away from Perfect.
Try doing Charizard/Salamence..

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Lol, MorningStar, your post seems almost like a summarization of Dragonfree's? :p

But in any case, everyone, I've started a new one. And despite my earlier intent to do Charizard, for some reason at 1 am last night, I randomly had a need to draw Blaziken, so I scribbled it in Paint, and it sort of all went from there. =P

Blaziken.png

Practicing with texture and hue shift now. C+C?

~Chibi~;249;;448;

dragonzrule

<- Currently Hunting
These are good, but Tyranitar is flat. Overall good job (Blaziken is looking really good)