• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Chikorita's Big Upset! (138)

Leonhart

Imagineer
It was nice to see Satoshi's obvious bias for Pikachu come to light here, yet even though Chikoriita was able to bond with him more, it's somewhat sad that hardly anything changed since Satoshi still cared more for Pikachu than he did for Chikoriita.

Chikorita is a newbie and Pikachu is Ash’s first pokemon having go thru so much together already. She shouldn’t expect special attention and her attitude makes her even more unlikeable. Petty and unkind to others.

Yep she should've known that Pikachu was too high on the Ash's Pokemon hierarchy ladder, so she shouldn't have thought that Ash would favor her over Pikachu.

DatsRight

I remember watching this episode and the narrator saying that Chikorita learned her lesson about jealousy and I was like "She did? She didn't seem humbled at all." This is another case where Team Rocket don't really work as the main plot device because their threat is too generic and doesn't cause any real character development besides a common enemy between two bickering groups. Chikorita stills feels unlikeable since it doesn't feel like at any point she really realised how petty she was and was shown to be remotely sorry.

This happens a lot with antagonistic Pokemon stories, they're jerks but after stopping TR they're suddenly nice without any implication they learned their mistake (eg. the Florges in XY).

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:
Chikorita stills feels unlikeable since it doesn't feel like at any point she really realised how petty she was and was shown to be remotely sorry.

That was one of my problems with this episode since it felt like Chikorita barely got a slap on the wrist, when I think she should've at least been more apologetic for running off and for the way that she had previously treated Pikachu.

MockingJ

Banned
I remember watching this episode and the narrator saying that Chikorita learned her lesson about jealousy and I was like "She did? She didn't seem humbled at all." This is another case where Team Rocket don't really work as the main plot device because their threat is too generic and doesn't cause any real character development besides a common enemy between two bickering groups. Chikorita stills feels unlikeable since it doesn't feel like at any point she really realised how petty she was and was shown to be remotely sorry.

This happens a lot with antagonistic Pokemon stories, they're jerks but after stopping TR they're suddenly nice without any implication they learned their mistake (eg. the Florges in XY).

I always hated Chikorita. I mean no offense to anyone who did like her, but she was a terrible Pokemon because she acted like a spoiled child and even as a Bayleef she was still annoying because she kept tackling Ash.

Chikorita throwing a hissy fit and leaving the Pokemon Center to go on her own made me a little mad since she hadn't changed that much from the time that Ash caught her. She was all jealous because Ash preferred Pikachu but that was to be expected since Pikachu had been with Ash longer than Chikorita had. I liked that she was able to lead the Pokemon from the abandoned warehouse though because it showed her leadership skills. 6/10

Jnmisty

It is a nice refreshing change to see a different Nurse Joy. Plus even though Ash has some experience as a trainer, he is still dense as a brick on things. At the same time, Chikorita being one of the newer pokémon needs to understand that attention is not all focused on it. Plus even when Ash fought his hardest to save both Chikorita and Pikachu from the Tire Bot of Team Rocket, Chikorita got to see that side in Ash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jnmisty said:
It is a nice refreshing change to see a different Nurse Joy. Plus even though Ash has some experience as a trainer, he is still dense as a brick on things. At the same time, Chikorita being one of the newer pokémon needs to understand that attention is not all focused on it. Plus even when Ash fought his hardest to save both Chikorita and Pikachu from the Tire Bot of Team Rocket, Chikorita got to see that side in Ash.

Satoshi really was dense about Chikorita being clingy because she wanted his attention. I know that it's a recurring thing for him not to understand romance and feelings similar to that, but he was especially oblivious about Chikorita's feelings here.

Satoshi really was dense about Chikorita being clingy because she wanted his attention. I know that it's a recurring thing for him not to understand romance and feelings similar to that, but he was especially oblivious about Chikorita's feelings here.
He didn't even understand what therapy was, which is kind of understandable since he's supposed to only be 10.