• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Chim-Charred! (549)

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Obviously I'm missing something here, because I honestly don't see how this was a bad episode at all. I mean, lets look at some of the positive outcomes here;
Gligar's character was explored more in this episode than any of those after it's initial introduction, and it was all handled wonderfully. It's definately filled the niché that Corphish has left vacant since it's departure, and it's most definately shaping up to be the best D/P capture in terms of personallity.
And then, Chimchar's trauma was revisited to a much greater degree than what we saw when it was cornered by the Zangoose, an element of it's character which is BOUND to be developed even further as the series goes on. And not only this, but it actually did stand up to it's previous trainer before Ursaring eventually spooked it, showing that it HAS plucked up some courage since it's been with Ash.
And to top it all off, there was some great battling and comic relief. Gligar careening into a boulder and bawling it's eyes out should have been enough to make this episode.

Only complaint I can think of is that Chimchar didn't start whaling on Ursaring after it went down, but the results of it snapping like a dry and brittle twig were still satisfactory none the less.

Ragnarofl

Binkan Binkan Binkan
well you gotta remember he was still just starting out when he had Charmeleon/Charizard he didnt really understand because Charmander always listened to him
Even if he was just starting, he ought to get a clue after thirty flamethrowers, and he didn't try to fix it even after the problem really bit him in the ass in Indigo.

If anything, this episode demonstrates how drastically he has changed along the way.

sam_h12

WHERE IS PIDGEOT?!
this whole ash and wildchild chimchar thing was cringeworthy imo.
anti-climax
kthx

however the general battling was good with ursaring arm hammering here and there.
and it was nice to see fire attacks not having a "comical" moment (like oo im a huge brute but youre burning me so im going to cry about it and back off. but no. he took it like a beeotch.)
and it was nice to see gliscor out and about
does anyway know what that purple sphere followed by headbutt was? i thought giga impact+headbutt but then i thought no then i thought zen headbutt and then i thought no....

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Rocket Girl said:
I wouldn't be so quick to criticize this episode. Granted, it's just another chapter in the continuing story of Hikozaru, but we did learn that thankfully Hikozaru wasn't just magically cured just by becoming Satoshi's Pokemon.

Yes I know that, but at the same time Chimchar hasn't done ANYTHING since Ash got it, heck Buizel's starting to get more action in, why isn't Chimchar? I don't EVER want to see another fire type be put in the spot Torkoal was, no one deserves that fate.

Since the episode revolved around chimchar it would've been nice to see the writers actually do something for it like at least give it a new attack like the others have been getting, and Gligar's got an evo around the corner too, what does Chimchar have?

The writers are clearly not even close to resolving this thing and this episode will obviously be referenced again. This episode was just one of chapters in the middle of a story where not much happened, but it's certainly not some meaningless filler.

I disagree, if chimchar's rampage had been longer and maybe he had actually attacked some of the others i might agree, but it was only insane for a couple of minutes which is hardly impressive.

Hikozaru probably shouldn't even be battling again. He's clearly been too traumatized by Shinji to battle competitively. I wonder how Satoshi is going to solve this problem.

I dunno, but i swear the next time Chimchar has an episode to itself something BETTER happen with it, seriously i don't want to see something with so much potential get shot down like they've been doing to it.

Almighty Zard still has the worst posts.

Would you get off my back already, seriously don't you have something to say about the episode instead of ciritzing me?

I'm really getting tired of you personally attacking me dude, I could care less what you think of me, and what you say isn't gonna stop me from posting either.

Last edited:

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
I give up.

I had high hopes for the thing, but this is the second time they've had the perfect opportunity to do something with Chimchar and blew it.

Way to go writers, way to go. --

I highly agree. I wasted my lunch break watching this episode, and I feel robbed. I feel like in this saga they're going to dawdle on developing Ash's team, and they'll all evolve at once (sans Gligar); and it will most likely be unbelievable.

The more I see Chimchar suck the more I get ****** that the writers really screwed up Chimchar and its potential.

Ragnarofl

Binkan Binkan Binkan
btw Ash looked as if he'd rage as hard as Chimchar, anytime. He gets more and more pissed at Paul each time.

And oh god Gligar is so fukken cute!

English episode: Through The Fire And The Flames (My own name for it)

Prominence

this whole ash and wildchild chimchar thing was cringeworthy imo.
anti-climax
kthx

however the general battling was good with ursaring arm hammering here and there.
and it was nice to see fire attacks not having a "comical" moment (like oo im a huge brute but youre burning me so im going to cry about it and back off. but no. he took it like a beeotch.)
and it was nice to see gliscor out and about
does anyway know what that purple sphere followed by headbutt was? i thought giga impact+headbutt but then i thought no then i thought zen headbutt and then i thought no....

Perhaps it's "Leer" or "Scary Face"? "Leer" frightens the foe and lowers its defenses, so "Headbutt" can do more damage.

It would explain the strange visions of Chimchar thinking that Ursaring is some kind of horrific monster.

he shoulda evolved from all the heat.

Jonouchi

Chibi-cario
Obviously I'm missing something here, because I honestly don't see how this was a bad episode at all. I mean, lets look at some of the positive outcomes here;
Gligar's character was explored more in this episode than any of those after it's initial introduction, and it was all handled wonderfully. It's definately filled the niché that Corphish has left vacant since it's departure, and it's most definately shaping up to be the best D/P capture in terms of personallity.
And then, Chimchar's trauma was revisited to a much greater degree than what we saw when it was cornered by the Zangoose, an element of it's character which is BOUND to be developed even further as the series goes on. And not only this, but it actually did stand up to it's previous trainer before Ursaring eventually spooked it, showing that it HAS plucked up some courage since it's been with Ash.
And to top it all off, there was some great battling and comic relief. Gligar careening into a boulder and bawling it's eyes out should have been enough to make this episode.

Only complaint I can think of is that Chimchar didn't start whaling on Ursaring after it went down, but the results of it snapping like a dry and brittle twig were still satisfactory none the less.

You know, we'd be better off here if everyone was more like you in terms of what goes on here. =P

Let's be serious here. We have a good number of episodes to develop Chimmy. He won't develop in one episode. It doesn't work like that. If he's so useless, then why go through the trouble of making him Psycho and having him attack randomly. I hardly call that ignoring him. >_>

[SPOIL]And Zard, kindly GTFO the internet. =)[/SPOIL]

GiratinaShaymin<3 said:
English episode: Through The Fire And The Flames (My own name for it)

That's not bad, actually. =P

Shinji_Charizard

yeah i know, but the drapios in the ep had a weird color, not the purple of the pokedex and also not the scarlett of the dex... if you know what i mean xD
(dutch)