• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Chivalry and Gender Equality in Democracy

Natty

Electric Rodent
I kind of disagree with parts of what you said just based upon 'girl power'. Some women reject chivalry and consider any sort of gesture that seems to imply their inferiority a personal offense. You just can't please women. There was a mild uproar about that wrestling boy in Iowa.

Did you really just say that?

As a female, I do love a guy with chivalry. It's just good manners.
I was raised to not tolerate a rude man. Or a rude person in general! I was taught to hold the door open for everyone, offer my chair to my elders (not just "elderly") and such.

My boyfriend will hold a door open for me and such. He will for EVERYONE. Heck, he even held it open for my big ol' hairy muscly fisherman father XD

I think chivalry should be taught to kids. I'm sure as hell going to teach my children to hold open a door for someone or something.

And no gender should hit, sexually assault, pressure them into stuff and such.
It's just not right at all. :/
(And contrary to popular belief, men can be raped by women. Just throwing that out there)

Profesco

gone gently
I kind of disagree with parts of what you said just based upon 'girl power'. Some women reject chivalry and consider any sort of gesture that seems to imply their inferiority a personal offense.

Yes, that is also true. I have come across such people. It is unfortunate that a behavior with only good intentions can sometimes have implications interpreted in such a harsh light, but they have every right to feel the way they do.

When you come across women who feel that way, you find a middle ground between your own respectful tendencies and their preferred form of respectful treatment. It's not really very difficult.

Natty

Electric Rodent
In my head yeah.

That's completely misogynistic. o_O How would the people here react if I said "you can never please black people" or "you can never please homosexuals"? It wouldn't go over well and I'm not really seeing what the difference is.

Btw, I'm aware men can be raped by women. I'm not undermining that at all. What I'm saying is that the slant towards women being raped is so strong that there's a clear discrepancy between a man and a woman's chances of being raped.

Last edited:

Natty

Electric Rodent
Who is more likely to get killed in the armed forces? Neither act was consented to, and which one is worse?

... I'm not saying one is worse than the other nor am I undermining one over the other. I'm saying that there's a giant slant in the statistics.

ChedWick

... I'm not saying one is worse than the other nor am I undermining one over the other. I'm saying that there's a giant slant in the statistics.

And with it implying woman should get special treatment in the form of undisputed protection from men.

Natty

Electric Rodent
Which is inconsequential?

Neither. |: It's you who's implying that, not me.

And with it implying woman should get special treatment in the form of undisputed protection from men.

Um... and you would oppose helping a woman so that she's not raped? The point is that a woman faces a daily threat that men rarely face and the answer to that isn't "so why does she say she wants equal rights". The two don't contradict each other. It's a matter of cause and effect. The fact that you're even saying that assisting a woman so that she's not um, y'know, RAPED or MURDERED is "special treatment" exposes some pretty deep misogyny.

Profesco

gone gently
If not raping women is an effort for you, I'm willing to side with Natty in a heartbeat.

.:Lemon Tea:.

Crystallized decay
Everything will be fair and just once my boyfriend makes me a sandwhich while I play Black Ops.

Natty

Electric Rodent
I'm saying your rape tangent was irrelevant, not that you had to choose between two options.
I haven't raped a woman as of yet, and that's enough effort on my part. Why should I have to help more than that?

Uhhhhhhhhh. I didn't know there was a level of effort in not raping someone. um. wow.

People were talking about rape, so I addressed them. It was actually pretty relevant.

Nah, raping would take more effort. I don't think it's a good thing at all, but why should I have to help women anymore than not partaking in the act myself?

.... Human decency? wtf.

Yeah I'm gonna back out of this thread. I'm not arguing rape with people that feel it an effort to NOT rape. Because since rape takes more effort than not raping, that's the reason you won't? adios.

Last edited: