• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Choice between continuing the anime or a final season with your favorite character

Which of these two would you pick?

• Total voters
I'll rather have the show continue no matter on what region Ash's at...I don't mind the other characters but I want to continue watching b/c of Ash and Pikachu only...:p

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Pokémon could never work like that.

Pokémon has to have a single protagonist that pretty much goes to every single generation. It's not right for a protagonist, to be cheated out of the new Pokémon that come out.

Which is why Ash should never be replaced.

The only reason you s is because you're used to it, if they went with mine, and someone were to say that Ash should have stayed, the response would be the same, saying that it wouldn't work out.

And I can tell you like Ash. Ash is ok, but in all honesty, I hate him only because he was so outplayed.

It would also work out fine, Pokéspe works, the games work. And the Animé is about promoting the games, and the way they're doing it now is promoting games that came out like 15 years ago by keeping the same, highly overrated character in.

And it's also just old, as we all now Ash will never win the Pokémon League, and because of that, he's hogging the spotlight, while characters like Brendan, Lucas and Kris are basically nonexistant outside of cameos.

dman_dustin

The only reason you s is because you're used to it, if they went with mine, and someone were to say that Ash should have stayed, the response would be the same, saying that it wouldn't work out.

You could argue that, but-

Unless they wanted to screw Ash over, because the Indigo series was not well done, had he been replaced it would've been stupid.

Ash continued to journey to the next generation because it made sense. Completely creating a brand new series, mostly unrelated to the last series, only works for shows like Digimon, because well for one thing they are digital monsters, in the real world and there are many ways to address that situation. Like the 3rd series, where the first 2 series was a cartoon or something.

Pokémon are real creatures, so if you were going to create an anime, it depends on you want to create the anime.

The anime is about goals/adventure/etc.

I remember that the only reason the anime continued after 1st generation WAS because it was so popular, otherwise the anime would've ended, period. No new series, no nothing.

From that point, Ash and Pikachu became the face of the anime.

Pokémon isn't a digimon, or Yu-gi-oh show, it's more like a Dragonball show, or a Naruto show or something like that, only without the aging.

Focusing on at least the same character throughout the show. Speaking of Dragonball, I'd like it if there was a brand new series with no familiar characters. But that won't work because Dragonball is specifically about Goku. Even as the series ended, Goku was still the main focus.

That's what Pokémon became.

Plus again it doesn't make sense.

I wouldn't mind if there was other series of Pokémon playing. A mystery dungeon series, a Pokémon chronicle series like we had.

But the main series could never work without Ash and Pikachu, because that series is about HIS adventures throughout the entire Pokémon world to try and become a Pokémon master.

You could argue what you're arguing. But that argument can be applied to anything.

"Link can never be replaced"

Oh you're only saying that because you're used to it. If Link was replaced by someone else in every game, you'd be used to that.

That particular argument wears thin, eventually.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Continuing the anime until it is finally over is better than everyone's selfish nogastic needs. I've learn to let characters ago including Ash along time ago. If the show ends, I'll be sad but I have a life, so it won't be the end of the world.

dman_dustin

including Ash along time ago.

I would never be able to let go.

Because I'd be so pissed that Ash isn't catching any of these brand new Pokémon.

I would never be able to see Ash, working for his goal at being a Pokémon master, never be able to see him battling again.

And on top of that, Ash's story would probably be screwed over (Gym Leader, Okay I'll be Pallet Town's Gym Leader).

So I'm fine with the series continuing so long Ash is still the main character.

rohit_1997

Wait,what!?
As said by Pokemon fan 123,a many fans out there,still stick to the show in hopes of their character returning.
I would like the Anime to end with my favourite character returning to the arc and leaving back sweet memories.I see it pointless to continue the Anime with no true intentions of development.

Arceusgamer14

I don't know what to say, but if there's one thing, if there are many more generations to come, I don't think Ash will continue in one of the future gens. He might have to let a new character take his place. But he will still be remembered by Nintendo and Gamefreak and the writers and he & his friends will make some guest appearance like challenging the new heroes.

In the real world (not the wishes of the fans), Ash is just a mascot for the Pokemon franchise. No point in getting rid of mascot as long as they continue making money with it. They don't abandon these types of characters easily.

I personally expect the show to continue like this with Ash for a long time. The only way Ash is gone soon is if his Japanese voice actress retires early or is unable to voice him anymore. Unlike the American dubs, a VA like Rika Matsumoto is too beloved by the fans and company there to have anyone just replace her. It would be the end of Ash as a character.

We would also get hints from the games if the Pokemon franchise will undergo a radical change. If that's the case then I expect a new Pokemon series (starting another main character) replace the current one.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
In the real world (not the wishes of the fans), Ash is just a mascot for the Pokemon franchise. No point in getting rid of mascot as long as they continue making money with it. They don't abandon these types of characters easily.

I personally expect the show to continue like this with Ash for a long time. The only way Ash is gone soon is if his Japanese voice actress retires early or is unable to voice him anymore. Unlike the American dubs, a VA like Rika Matsumoto is too beloved by the fans and company there to have anyone just replace her. It would be the end of Ash as a character.

We would also get hints from the games if the Pokemon franchise will undergo a radical change. If that's the case then I expect a new Pokemon series (starting another main character) replace the current one.

No he isn't, Pikachu is the mascot. The anime isn't called, "The adventures of Ash," its called, "Pokemon."

As the writers are finally phasing out all the original series characters like Misty/Brock/Gary/Team Rocket....its only a matter of time before Ash is finally wrapped up and they do a real reboot.

dman_dustin

No he isn't, Pikachu is the mascot. The anime isn't called, "The adventures of Ash," its called, "Pokemon."

No matter how you look at it. The Pokémon anime is still about Ash and his journey with his Pikachu.

Just because the show is about Pokémon doesn't mean it isn't about a specific human character.

I mean how many shows have titles that have little to do with the actual concept.

Dragon ball for example, where the dragon balls rarely get a lot of attention (if the plot doesn't call for them), and it's primarily about Goku and friends fighting evil.

Dragon ball is probably more about Sayians (or at least one specific one) than it is about the dragon balls.

The difference here is clearly the Pokémon have more relevancy than the dragon balls did.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
No matter how you look at it. The Pokémon anime is still about Ash and his journey with his Pikachu.

Just because the show is about Pokémon doesn't mean it isn't about a specific human character.

For now it is, just like previous series you could have said Misty/Brock/May/Dawn were major characters for their respective gens. But in Japan each new saga is considered a new series, and can technically have an all new cast.

We're getting to the point where almost all older characters have been phased out of the anime aside from Ash/Pikachu. Best Wishes was an experiment at a reboot, and this is probably the end for Team Rocket.

Eventually they're just going to try an all-new cast at some point where either Ash will make cameos or won't appear at all. Its easy to imagine a different type of Pikachu with another main character, we've seen it like May and Dawn had the same Pokemon as Ash, etc.

For now it is, just like previous series you could have said Misty/Brock/May/Dawn were major characters for their respective gens. But in Japan each new saga is considered a new series, and can technically have an all new cast.

We're getting to the point where almost all older characters have been phased out of the anime aside from Ash/Pikachu. Best Wishes was an experiment at a reboot, and this is probably the end for Team Rocket.

Eventually they're just going to try an all-new cast at some point where either Ash will make cameos or won't appear at all. Its easy to
imagine a different type of Pikachu with another main character, we've seen it like May and Dawn had the same Pokemon as Ash, etc.

I'm betting you are 100% right. I'm actually looking forward to the day Ash and TRio leave. Honestly a new main char and villains would start the show afresh and renew interest in the Pokemon anime for many people. For example, the BW2 trailer released for the games seems like a much better route to take the series. Whatever the case, BW is probably the end for TRio and a welcome one if so IMO.

TruthWHIP

Banned
Well obviuously I'm going to choose the only option that's likely to happen

continue with Ash, who cares?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'm betting you are 100% right. I'm actually looking forward to the day Ash and TRio leave. Honestly a new main char and villains would start the show afresh and renew interest in the Pokemon anime for many people. For example, the BW2 trailer released for the games seems like a much better route to take the series. Whatever the case, BW is probably the end for TRio and a welcome one if so IMO.

Agreed. If TR are done for good at the end of BW, I can see Ash himself lasting for maybe one more gen at the most.

If Iris/Cilan both leave as well when BW ends, which is very possible, then Ash himself going with two more new travel companions would seem a bit odd, and it would make you wonder why they don't just start over altogether.

Ash is essentially a poor anime version of Red from the games. There were many versions of him throughout the Pokemon universe, the mangas, remakes, and other video games. Being connected to the original concept of Pokemon makes him very important. Even if this Ash is gone for good from the anime we will end up getting a clone basically, who also has a Pikachu instead of someone completely different. There will be many people who will whine about this, but the money making capacity of the franchise cant be compromised due to a some fans wanting their ideal version of a cool trainer being the main character on the show.

Bluelatios*

I just wonder what it would look like if they did something unexpected with Ash and TR, something that would give the people who are sick of them a real treat. Something so innovative that it would rock their world and create a "wow" factor. I think that would be so much more satisfying than handling the situation the way people expect them to.

dman_dustin

I disagree, Misty Brock, May and Dawn were vital characters for the series, but their series didn't revolve around them, it revolved around Ash. Ash's league or goal (like battle frontier) has always been the biggest climax of the series.

If Dawn's Grand Festival occurred AFTER Ash's league then you might have a point.

But who is THE main character of Pokémon? Of humans, it's Ash.

He started with the anime, it was him not Pikachu that everyone saw. Pokémon should end with him.

That's because the series didn't revolve around Misty, Brock, or Team Rocket.

It's always focused on Ash. Even DP, which almost shared with Dawn it still was about Ash. Just like how Unova again focused it solely on Ash.

Ash is THE main character of the anime. Not just a main character that can be replaced.

IT MAKES NO FREAKING SENSE to replace Ash, because Ash represents the fandom. When a new generation comes out, does someone else play the game, and your satisfied with the previous generation, maybe but not if a hardcore fan. It's going to you playing that new generation of Pokémon with just a different avatar.

I get that Ash is tiring, I know you want some conclusion, but I'd rather Ash keep catching brand new Pokémon, generation after generation because starting brand new doesn't make any sense. Replacing Ash doesn't make any sense.

It's not going to be the Pokémon anime any longer, at most it's just going to some side anime.

See with other series, they can pull it off, because they can rip the main characters and shove new ones in.

Pokémon has been going on for how long? At least 15 years. You don't just up and change the main character of an animated cartoon after 15 years.

Because you're going to alienate every single Pokémon fan. It's not smart at all. Only when the ratings become so dangerously low to close to cancellation, is the only time they can change.

Why replace when Ash still works? Ash is still bringing a lot of money for the Pokémon Company, TV-Tokyo, etc, etc.

Why?

Again it makes no sense.

Eventually they're just going to try an all-new cast at some point where either Ash will make cameos or won't appear at all. Its easy to imagine a different type of Pikachu with another main character, we've seen it like May and Dawn had the same Pokemon as Ash, etc.

Again it won't work, maybe in the future they will try that, but it will have to rely SOLELY on specials, and how people respond to them.

They aren't just going to replace Ash all of sudden without any warning with brand new characters.

It just isn't going to work. And I don't see anyone stupid enough to try.

Ash along with HIS Pikachu is the face of the anime. You may not like it, a lot of old fans may not like it, but it works. Because the children who watch this show. It works for them.

So it comes, to why does your opinion on Ash being replaced matter? If all the children in Japan said Ash needs to be replaced, then it will happen. If children are fine with Ash staying, then Ash isn't leaving.

Pokémon is not catered around you, me or anyone else but the children of Japan.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ash along with HIS Pikachu is the face of the anime. You may not like it, a lot of old fans may not like it, but it works. Because the children who watch this show. It works for them.

It doesn't have to be Ash's Pikachu. There's a different Pikachu in those Mystery Dungeon shorts yet they act like its the "main" Pikachu with little to no difference.

And they don't have to have the new lead with a Pikachu as his starter, it'll probably be written in a different way that the Pikachu tags along later on or something like that.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
It doesn't have to be Ash's Pikachu. There's a different Pikachu in those Mystery Dungeon shorts yet they act like its the "main" Pikachu with little to no difference.

And they don't have to have the new lead with a Pikachu as his starter, it'll probably be written in a different way that the Pikachu tags along later on or something like that.

You just want ash to leave so you can stop watching the show.