• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Choice between continuing the anime or a final season with your favorite character

Which of these two would you pick?

• Total voters

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
It doesn't have to be Ash's Pikachu. There's a different Pikachu in those Mystery Dungeon shorts yet they act like its the "main" Pikachu with little to no difference.

And they don't have to have the new lead with a Pikachu as his starter, it'll probably be written in a different way that the Pikachu tags along later on or something like that.
PMD /=/ Main Anime

You just want ash to leave so you can stop watching the show.

This. Cyber just wants Ash gone so he can quit the show.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
I have to agree with dman. It all started with Ash and Pikachu and it should end that way. I thought the concept of the anime is Ash's and Pikachu's journey in the world of Pokemon.

Thinking about the anime dropping Ash makes me think about the end of the very first episode. Ash seeing Ho-Oh flying over the rainbow, picking up Pikachu and walking while the narrator says the little bit hyping up Ash's journey...I don't want that or all of Ash's development to be for nothing. He deserves a grand finale, and a part of his finale is his journey.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The anime is going to go on as long as the games do. Pokemon will go on forever, look at Mario and Zelda which celebrated their 25th anniversaries a year ago.

Ash isn't going to be around for the next 50+ years. The series is about Pokemon, which allows them to substitute new characters for old ones. I bet if we were having this conversation back in 2001 people would claim Misty and Brock would never leave after the failure of Tracey. Flash forward 10 years and they're long gone.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
The anime is going to go on as long as the games do. Pokemon will go on forever, look at Mario and Zelda which celebrated their 25th anniversaries a year ago.

Ash isn't going to be around for the next 50+ years. The series is about Pokemon, which allows them to substitute new characters for old ones. I bet if we were having this conversation back in 2001 people would claim Misty and Brock would never leave after the failure of Tracey. Flash forward 10 years and they're long gone.

Misty and brock were never the main characters, ash is the only actual main character on pokemon, and getting rid of him would not only hurt the ratings "ash's pikachu is mega popular" but there would be a huge public backlash, not only on the internet but in general.

You cant just re-create another pikachu, it's not going to work.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Misty and brock were never the main characters, ash is the only actual main character on pokemon, and getting rid of him would not only hurt the ratings "ash's pikachu is mega popular" but there would be a huge public backlash, not only on the internet but in general.

No there wouldn't. Older fans are out of the target audience and younger fans grow up with newer characters like Iris and Cilan. It doesn't matter who are main characters for them because they weren't even born when Ash's story started.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
No there wouldn't. Older fans are out of the target audience and younger fans grow up with newer characters like Iris and Cilan. It doesn't matter who are main characters for them because they weren't even born when Ash's story started.

doesn't mean anything, the younger audience could protest against this, just like they did with brock.

And the problem isn't ash, the problem is pikachu, there is no way they could create another pikachu, so that's why ash stays, if some other character had a pikachu it would feel beyond fake.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
doesn't mean anything, the younger audience could protest against this, just like they did with brock.

And the problem isn't ash, the problem is pikachu, there is no way they could create another pikachu, so that's why ash stays, if some other character had a pikachu it would feel beyond fake.

Are you being serious? The younger audience does not care, they watch for the Pokemon. A 6 year old boy is not going to start wondering where Ash is if he only started watching when he was 5. Goodness.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
Are you being serious? The younger audience does not care, they watch for the Pokemon. A 6 year old boy is not going to start wondering where Ash is if he only started watching when he was 5. Goodness.

Seemed to work for brock, and stop dodging the pikachu question.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Seemed to work for brock, and stop dodging the pikachu question.

No, Brock only left because at the time the anime writers weren't sure if Brock's eyes would be received well in America. Once it became obvious Brock's eyes weren't going to be a negative point, they knew they could bring him back.

The first episode of Johto was already being written before Orange Islands even debuted in the U.S., so there's no way poor reception to Tracey could have changed anything, Brock was always planned to return/

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
No, Brock only left because at the time the anime writers weren't sure if Brock's eyes would be received well in America. Once it became obvious Brock's eyes weren't going to be a negative point, they knew they could bring him back.

The first episode of Johto was already being written before Orange Islands even debuted in the U.S., so there's no way poor reception to Tracey could have changed anything, Brock was always planned to return/

Well orange islands was being written during kanto meaning they wanted to americanize the show a little more, it just backfired straight away so they planned brocks return.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
@Cyber, for me: Dawn's returning to the main cast > Ash's leaving the show and the anime making a robot.

Sorry, but Pikachu (and specially Ash's Pikachu is the face of the Pokemon franchise. They aren't going to ditch that status so quickly. I don't know what will happen but i don't think that Ash is going to leave like others will.

To be more precise, Ash and Pikachu appear in the Best Wishes series where older pokemon doesn't appear, old references doesn't exist, etc. If they want to make a reboot of the anime, they made Ash leave in DP191 (with making AshXDawn couple?) before BW1 starts.

The pokemon anime isn't for CyberCubed. It's from kids from 4-15 years that probably didn't known anything apart from a few episodes.

For me, if a character survived the transition from DP to BW, that character won't leave the show until the end of the show. And how knows when...

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Well orange islands was being written during kanto meaning they wanted to americanize the show a little more, it just backfired straight away so they planned brocks return.

I know you probably don't remember this, but the dub used to be a full 40-50 episodes behind the Japanese version in the early days.

When we were in late Kanto, Johto was already beginning in Japan. When Master Quest was airing in the U.S, Japan was already airing the beginning of Hoenn.

We used to be very behind the Japanese airings.

BlueDragonfangirl

Disite what Cybs says, Ash and Pikachu are still very popular around the world including Japan and like some said are the face of Pokemon. Also Cybs, I really wish you wouldn't state your opinion as facts I beg of you to please stop that, like I've said over and over again to you Misty/Brock are not the main characters, only Ash is.

pokemon fan 132

It would be rather reckless and bad move to get rid of Ash who has been driving force of anime for past 15 years,being underrated how popular and iconic to audience he really is with complete overhaul doing nothing but ruining positive image pokemon series established about themselves.

Whats the point in following Ash 2.0 passing through same things all over again learning basics, trying to win league carrying Pikachu clone with himself?

I would for sure rather follow continuation of Ash story entering harder challenges, battling various evaluators to defend his reputation and advancing on higher levels as trainer advancing his career of becoming master, beyond simple win of one league. actually having experience behind him with basics being covered.

That would be ultimately more fresh and exciting to see than following alternate version of Ash character going through baby steps all over again.

No he isn't, Pikachu is the mascot. The anime isn't called, "The adventures of Ash," its called, "Pokemon."

As the writers are finally phasing out all the original series characters like Misty/Brock/Gary/Team Rocket....its only a matter of time before Ash is finally wrapped up and they do a real reboot.

Main difference between traveling companions and Ash is that he is driving force of pokemon series with whole story revolving around his journey.
Pokemon anime is about following Ash journey of becoming pokemon master and promoting new pokemon with show being centralized around it.
Everyone else are expendable with people being used to traveling companions getting replaced accepting it(aside from few exceptions).

Trying to use examples of Brock, Misty, TR etc to support "Ash leaving"is like comparing apples to oranges.

Unlike them Ash is actually main star which is representing pokemon series with whole story revolving around it being most popular, iconic and recognized character worldwide. He and Pikachu at this point became integrated within pokemon with people getting used to them so much(many even attached) that pokemon series are associated with this two being their icons.

And that can't be replaced easily at all.

It doesn't have to be Ash's Pikachu. There's a different Pikachu in those Mystery Dungeon shorts yet they act like its the "main" Pikachu with little to no difference.

That would be terrible idea. Ash and Pikachu are already viewed as inseparable couple with fans associating one with another. Removing any of them would tarnish their popularity and connection to series they established.
Needless to say if your going to make replica of Ash with new guy using Pikachu, might as well keep current protagonist instead.

Small kids probably aren't attached to character to same degree like older fans are, but he is still mascot and main face of pokemon series to them being used to character. He is also most recognized anime mascot(along with Pikachu)worldwide and having him replaced after 15 years could confuse young viewers with anime losing its identity,which would in process turn them away from new alternate show.

New guy don't have 15 years behind himself, wouldn't be nowhere near iconic and recognizable to people like Ash is simply not having stamina, same promotional value and charisma to bring in new viewers toward anime like current protagonist does. Not to mention there is no guarantee that he would be accepted among viewers with new character bringing risk of ending up unpopular.

That doesn't mean much to writers though. After Misty left people protested on much larger scale and it didn't changed anything.

Brock was never returned because of fans, but because of his "supposed racial issues"showing to be no problem at all.

That's not to say their departures didn't caused many fans to quit show(not so much in Brock case though since he returned anyway)because original cast was iconic to people at that time , and if they could cause so much stir i can imagine that Ash leaving would be 100 times worse received.

Also Cybs, I really wish you wouldn't state your opinion as facts I beg of you to please stop that, like I've said over and over again to you Misty/Brock are not the main characters, only Ash is.

Misty and Brock were main characters too. Difference is that unlike them Ash is driving force, main star of pokemon series.

dman_dustin

Yeah, now you care about the target audience when you make many baseless claims that the writers are writing the show for older fans. You're purposely changing what you say to support your opinion.

Like I said, there's no point in replacing Ash. The kids that watch this show hasn't been watching for as many years and don't care. What's the point in making anew main character when the current one is working just fine? "I WANT HIS STORY TO END!!11" is not an answer, this show is written for marketing and is about the journey not the destination. You. Should quit watching if it bothers you so much.

Especially given the fact that all he's implying is that the newer audience members ARE ONLY focusing on Iris and Cilan, and aren't focusing on Ash at all.

The thing is, when you use that argument. Guess what to newer audiences, Ash is a brand new character.

Only older fans notice that it's the same protagonist for 15 years.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Especially given the fact that all he's implying is that the newer audience members ARE ONLY focusing on Iris and Cilan, and aren't focusing on Ash at all.

The thing is, when you use that argument. Guess what to newer audiences, Ash is a brand new character.

Only older fans notice that it's the same protagonist for 15 years.

Which is why he's replaceable. Even the kids who watched DP are probably no longer watching Best Wishes. Each gen brings in new kids, Ash isn't more important to them than anyone else.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
Which is why he's replaceable. Even the kids who watched DP are probably no longer watching Best Wishes. Each gen brings in new kids, Ash isn't more important to them than anyone else.

To note, Takara Tomy, Bandai, Banpresto and company could want to return Dawn full-time to spam Piplup merchandise in almost-Pikachu levels. Axew don't sell much merchandise these days (contrary to popular belief; and I'm sure that Togepi had way more merch than Axew is getting now)

But apart from that, Ash is irreplacable because of Pikachu. Pikachu (particularly Ash's Pikachu) is the mascot of pokemon, sells way more merch than any other, appear in anything pokemon-related. And the children won't like another Pikachu in the anime.

And if they want to make a rebbot and ditch Ash from the anime, they has replaced Ash already. Because Black & White represents a new start of the series, has no old pokemon, no old references, etc. If Ash and Pikachu appears in Best Wishes 1, is because Ash is too much important to leave.

And the kids in BW care about Ash. Remember that Ash in BW is the only star of the series meaning that many of the screentime goes to Ash and is the character that show during the saga a major level of development. And remember that Ash is the most marketable human in pokemon.

Sorry, if the merch companies could be hurt because Dawn's Piplup isn't anymore on the anime, I don't think what happen if Ash's Pikachu is out of the anime.

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

Except he is, to them Ash represents brand this show established about itself being viewed along with Pikachu as face of pokemon anime.

He is main source of profit which drives new generations toward this show with both older and younger fans associating pokemon series with him and yellow rodent. Its not, Iris, Dawn, Misty, May, Brock etc but Ash, and when you build iconic status around some character representing pokemon anime for 15 years, he becomes irreplaceable.
If you seriously think how Ash leaving wont leave any negative effect on young generations not bringing risk of alienating audience, than i have to say your sadly mistaken.

To note, Takara Tomy, Bandai, Banpresto and company could want to return Dawn full-time to spam Piplup merchandise in almost-Pikachu levels. Axew don't sell much merchandise these days (contrary to popular belief; and I'm sure that Togepi had way more merch than Axew is getting now)

Agreed with everything except Dawn. I doubt writers will bring her back to main cast, especially now that contests are gone. She in reality doesn't have any bigger chance to come back than Misty, May or Brock and we all know how small chances for this are.

Popularity of 4th gen starter and successful sales which isn't relevant to 5th generation, isn't enough to warrant full time return.