• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Choose It Or Lose It! (407)

Flamez

Elite 4 Champion
whats up people,
Man this is crazy! lol . Everybody including me was going for the whole Grovyle vs. Swampert match and Metang vs. Pikachu but none of that happened. lol .

You know everyone is talking about how Torkoal is not getting any spotlight and u no what i completely agree with u guys. But i was thinking that since that match between Ash and Tetsuya will be for the top 4 and if ash loses hes in the top 8 again! maybe he will beat tetsuya u never know. And maybe Torkoal will get some spotlight in that match up. I think Pikachu also hasn't gotten anything in the league so far. The writers are probably saving them for tetsuya. o well thats just my opinion.

But next thing I really want to see a Grovyle vs. Shiftry match both can have some major speed and besides treeko once lost to a shiftry maybe its time for Revenge. lol.
And how about a Hariyama vs. Swellow/Corphish match. Speaking of Corphish hes on fire. He must have the most wins right now in the league for Ash.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Heracross said:
Ok, I liked Onigohri at first, but I'm getting sick of the overgrown hailstone. :p Satoshi caught the thing not even 20 episodes ago, and ever since it evolved it's been this unstoppable powerhouse? What the hell?

I can understand winning a battle or two because of beginner's luck - like Crab for instance - and I was OK with him winning despite an obvious type disadvantage (Heracross did it too after all ^_^), but now he delivers the final blow to defeat Masamune? And he was doing just fine in the Keade battle - the only reason he got knocked out was because of destiny bond. It's just rediculous for a pokémon captured so recently and with virtually no battling experience before the league to be doing so good. Not only that, but it's rather unfair to Satoshi's other pokémon who worked really hard through all through the Houen region.

Give Kootasu more screentime, dammit! *kicks writers*

i agree, at first i thought it evolution was good cause it needed the extra power, but this is getting out of hand, that thing hasn't had a single direct loss yet, while poor Torkoal who has been on the team longer has been getting his rear handed to him constantly, and that is plain not right. I mean if Torkoal beats anyone of Tetsuya's pokemon, would it really be enough retribution, i don't think so.

Pokeballs

Custom Torkoal 01
There is something very wrong w/ the writers >< Glalie has two final victories in the same league? And Torkoal got shafted again, jeez even Pikachu is getting whipped :/ It's just wrong ><

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Pokeballs said:
There is something very wrong w/ the writers >< Glalie has two final victories in the same league? And Torkoal got shafted again, jeez even Pikachu is getting whipped :/ It's just wrong ><

Like i said the writers are smoking something, cause these battles are wrong, but then again, it's high time that Pikachu has been forced to step down from the spotlight, with all the gym battle action he got it's nice to see others take up his screentime.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I find it amusing that Grovyle, Ash's trump card and one of his strongest pokemon throughout Hoenn, is getting a lot of defeats in this league.

Never mind Torkoal getting shafted in the league (since he was getting shafted throughout the entire region, not just the league), but Grovyle is on a losing streak lately.

On another note, Corphish and Swellow have turned out to be very good reliable pokemon this league.

And now that the beginning of the Tetsuya match has Glalie Vs Sceptile, I guess we won't get a Grovyle Vs. Sceptile match either.

Glalie has stolen Grovyle's thunder. :eek:

Lupin

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
So torkoal doesn't get any spotlight again. That is so unfair. If they could have been bothered enough to spread this match into two seperate episodes, it could have been a great battle.

W

Waveblaster

I'm so happy that Ash won this round and Corphish was the only pokemon he used in the first half!

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
Cybercubed said:
And now that the beginning of the Tetsuya match has Glalie Vs Sceptile, I guess we won't get a Grovyle Vs. Sceptile match either.

Glalie has stolen Grovyle's thunder. :eek:
I highly doubt that Glalie will take Sceptile down.
I mean, c'mon, Sceptile is Tetsuya's Trump Card! It can't just go down so quickly. As well as with all these wins, I think Glalie is due for a whooping. If not, then Glalie will have technically not taken a loss this League [as he would have done fine if not for Destiny Bond].

I am happy that Glalie is doing so well this league, but this "Comeback Kid" thing has been taken too far. At least the writers toned it down with Kingler to make it somewhat realistic.

Okay. This battle is totally messed up. What the hell is wrong with Torkoal? It cant even take down a bloody Steelix? I was really hoping that Torkoal would claim the Metang victory and win the battle to get some redemption but, instead it loses with no wins as usual e_e

Corphish took out Swampert with a simple Crabhammer? Man, Swampert has gotten more shaft then Ash's Torkoal in the Whirl Cup. Wow...Corphish really is doing well in this League. Brava...but even I wanted to see a big ass Grovyle/Swampert showdown. *disappointment*

I dont really care that Grovyle or Pikachu fainted. At least Grovyle got ONE win :(

I really did want to see the Battle Frontier, but seeing what damage it has caused the League by making time for it before the D/P Region, I TAKE IT BACK!!! *cries*

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Heracross said:
Ok, I liked Onigohri at first, but I'm getting sick of the overgrown hailstone. :p Satoshi caught the thing not even 20 episodes ago, and ever since it evolved it's been this unstoppable powerhouse? What the hell?

I can understand winning a battle or two because of beginner's luck - like Crab for instance - and I was OK with him winning despite an obvious type disadvantage (Heracross did it too after all ^_^), but now he delivers the final blow to defeat Masamune? And he was doing just fine in the Keade battle - the only reason he got knocked out was because of destiny bond. It's just rediculous for a pokémon captured so recently and with virtually no battling experience before the league to be doing so good. Not only that, but it's rather unfair to Satoshi's other pokémon who worked really hard all through the Houen region.
How can you say it has so little battling experience? Sure as a Snorunt it had trouble with Ice Beam but otherwise it was a skilled fighter who went toe-to-toe with Pikachu when it was first captured. We have no real idea of how much experience Snorunt had.

As for Torkoal, it has been getting brushed off a lot. I personally have no problem with it tying with Tropius, since Tropius in the game is one of the most durable Grass types (provided it isn't up against Ice moves), but it is a bit sad to see it lose to a Steelix without taking down any other Pokemon.

I think the writers wanted to show Masumune was good by having him take out a Pokemon using one of his with a type weakness, that seems to be a common theme, to show a trainer is good have them win when the types are against them. And for some reason Torkoal was chosen to demonstrate that. At least being part Ground Steelix also had an advantage, the battles hardly as impossible as you guys are making it out to be. Remember Torkoal's flames mean nothing if it can't hit Steelix with them.

Cybercubed said:
I find it amusing that Grovyle, Ash's trump card and one of his strongest pokemon throughout Hoenn, is getting a lot of defeats in this league.

Never mind Torkoal getting shafted in the league (since he was getting shafted throughout the entire region, not just the league), but Grovyle is on a losing streak lately.
How can you say that? Grovyle was one of the main stars in the Kaede battle, and has beaten two other opponents in the league before losing. Hardly what I'd call a losing streak, really it has been handled quite well.

Poor Pikachu... I mean really, except for the match against Hitmonlee its been getting some bad luck going up against a Dugtrio and Steelix.

Corphish takes out half the team... well it is certainly believable given how much battle experience it's gotten lately, AND that Masumune wasn't exactly fighting well.

Still, from the sound of things the Kaede battle is still my favorite for this league so far.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Kawaiiest.Combusken said:

I highly doubt that Glalie will take Sceptile down.
I mean, c'mon, Sceptile is Tetsuya's Trump Card! It can't just go down so quickly. As well as with all these wins, I think Glalie is due for a whooping. If not, then Glalie will have technically not taken a loss this League [as he would have done fine if not for Destiny Bond].

I am happy that Glalie is doing so well this league, but this "Comeback Kid" thing has been taken too far. At least the writers toned it down with Kingler to make it somewhat realistic.

Okay. This battle is totally messed up. What the hell is wrong with Torkoal? It cant even take down a bloody Steelix? I was really hoping that Torkoal would claim the Metang victory and win the battle to get some redemption but, instead it loses with no wins as usual e_e

Corphish took out Swampert with a simple Crabhammer? Man, Swampert has gotten more shaft then Ash's Torkoal in the Whirl Cup. Wow...Corphish really is doing well in this League. Brava...but even I wanted to see a big ass Grovyle/Swampert showdown. *disappointment*

Have we forgotten about Metagross already, which i think is Tetsuya's trump card pokemon, and i hope Glalie does knock it out so we don't have a Grovyle/Secptile showdown, besides what's to stop it, if it beat a Charizard, and a Metang, it very well could deep freeze Sceptile in it's tracks, and if Sceptile was Tetsuya's trump card pokemon why would he use it off the bat.

The way things are shaping up i wonder why the writers gave Torkoal to Ash at all, it hasn't done much since he caught it, and i think that it deserved better.

think of it this way, you can't blame Swampert for going down so quickly, that's Masamunes fault due to the fact he didn't concentrate.

Last edited:

Heracross

Custom User Title
Pokémon Fan said:
How can you say it has so little battling experience? Sure as a Snorunt it had trouble with Ice Beam but otherwise it was a skilled fighter who went toe-to-toe with Pikachu when it was first captured. We have no real idea of how much experience Snorunt had.
True, but what I was saying is that Satoshi never actually used it except to blast of the Rocket-dan at the grand festival. It may well have been in battles before in the wild, but judging from its inability to use ice beam correctly it was still at a rather low level of experience, and it evolving was just sort of a fluke.

Compared with all of Satoshi's other pokémon I think we could agree that it has had far less experience as far as competitive battles go, so having it win all the time while his more experienced fighters get KO'ed is just wrong. o_o

Last edited:

V Faction

www.faction.com
Pokemon Fan said:
Still, from the sound of things the Kaede battle is still my favorite for this league so far.
And with good reason.

1. It's been the longest battle we've seen take place in the Hoenn League. Masamune's and Tetsuya's fights start with a single brawl then lead into a new episode, while Kaeda gaves us 3 Pokemon shown from the start. And then it lead into a (nearly) whole episode.

2. Kaeda had some real world style battling impressed onto her. C'mon, switching for type advantages, Destiny Bond, annoyance tactics. She gave us a good fight that was believable.

3. Not so much the fight itself, but the dissmal competition from the other fights. Hyuuga's was good, but not great. Tomono's short-changed Torkoal again. Masamune's double battle was thrilling at least, but that was only because of Gligar. And Masamune vs. Ash was disappointing. We didn't even get to see one of Ash's near the beginning. So, there isn't that much to compete with.

Zak

Guys... I don't think anyone's seen the episode yet. The stuff I saw posted wasn't exactly a summary of the whole battle, it was from a Japanese message board and could have been just a list of how each one won or lost throughout this battle. Seriously, if ONLY the stuff I mentioned in my post happened, and nothing else, the battle would only last about 10 minutes, not even 15. And a whole 10-15 minutes of just talking to Tetsuya and pre-battle stuff just seems unrealistic, considering how little we see of the start of the fight.

I'd wait for someone who's seen the episode to post before making judgements just yet.

Last edited:
W

watchermark

Sadly, it seems Ash will always have a Pokemon that gets the shaft in each league. In Kanto, it was Pidgeotto, in Johto it was Phanpy and now in Hoenn it's Torkoal's turn, which is a shame because I really like that Pokemon, even though it's only had three wins since Ash caught it (Steelix, Scizor, Lombre).

Hopefully next week we'll get Torkoal vs. Metagross and the writers will let the turtle get some glory back!

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
Torkoal got to shine in the battle with Tropius, yes it had a draw but Ashs Bulbasaur had a draw with Meganium, they shined because they were a match for such strong Pokemon its just Corphish shined more in that episode

IMPERIAL DRAGON

Enemy Of Reality
Don't kill me for saying this but I think that the anime has plans for Torkoal. Think about all the pokemon Ash has had that don't evolve, like Heracross, Lapras and Snorlax (well technically) what do they all have in common? They're all power houses, while Torkoal is on the same level as those weak pokemon that don't evolve who get boxed in the games and only caught for the sake of the 'dex. Dare I say this... one word, they're gonna pull a... Manyula... me thinks anyway.

Although this episode sounds interesting, if I'm honest I'm a little dissapointed at some of the match ups... like Gligar defeated Grovyle and Corphish hammering Swampert.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Gaiash said:
Torkoal got to shine in the battle with Tropius, yes it had a draw but Ashs Bulbasaur had a draw with Meganium, they shined because they were a match for such strong Pokemon its just Corphish shined more in that episode
The difference is, Bulbasuar had 2 freakin' series of the animé to battle, was used frequently and usually came out on top. Torkoal taking a draw against Tropius is hardly any sort of redemption for all the losses and lack of any decent battles. If Torkoal were to ever 'shine', it would be in a match were it puts up a long, hard fight and comes out on top. Not a tie, not a loss, but a win~

IMPERIAL DRAGON said:
...while Torkoal is on the same level as those weak pokemon that don't evolve who get boxed in the games and only caught for the sake of the 'dex. Dare I say this... one word, they're gonna pull a... Manyula... me thinks anyway.
Forgive my total ignorance for in-game stats but...is Torkoal really so weak that it warrants an evolution? From using it in my game and beating a few E4 pokemon with it, I'd always assumed it made for a pretty good tank :/

IMPERIAL DRAGON

Enemy Of Reality
Well put it this way... you can use a Pichu to take down a Dragonite in the games so pretty much any pokemon can be used in battle but the point is Torkoal isn't on the same level of power as the likes of Heracross. Stats wise, Sneasel has a total base stat amount of 430 and that's now got an evolution, while Torkoal has only 470 combined base stats so it's not that powerful so an evolution is possible. Look at Golbat, it's got 455 combined base stats which isn't much less than Torkoal so it is kinda possible. All I'm saying is that Torkoal is unique because all of Ash's other pokemon that don't evolve are much more powerful in general.

P

phoenix12

Torkoal beat Slakoth win one hit during the Petalburg Gym Battle...not that I think he hasn't gotten screwed, just to mention that there is something to add to the above list of wins..and yes, I realize this was after Slakoth spent a lot of time battling with Pikachu, but still, Torkoal finished the job properly ;324;

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
Gravy said:
The difference is, Bulbasuar had 2 freakin' series of the animé to battle, was used frequently and usually came out on top. Torkoal taking a draw against Tropius is hardly any sort of redemption for all the losses and lack of any decent battles. If Torkoal were to ever 'shine', it would be in a match were it puts up a long, hard fight and comes out on top. Not a tie, not a loss, but a win
3 accully, Bulbasaur was the 2nd longest Pokemon to be in Ashs team. Also Torkoals had many appearences, hes not battled in all of them in fact most Torkoal appearences he was just there. It shined in this episode because it had a draw with a powerful Pokemon like Bulbasaur with Meganium or even Grovyles win against Slaking.