1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Choose It Or Lose It! (407)

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Advanced Battle' started by Serebii, May 26, 2005.

1. frednmethod

frednmethod Banned

Guys, calm down okay?

Have you guys actually seen the episode? I haven't, that's why I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet. And about Torkoal being shafted: Too bad for Torkoal and its lovers (sorry about that Torkoal Stu), but at least ONE pokemon has to perform badly in the league. It would be incredibly boring and unreal if every pokemon got equal number of wins and losses. If some pokemon get more wins, that means less wins for some other pokemon, it's pretty inevitable. In Kanto it was Pidgeotto, in Johto it was Phanpy/Totodile/Noctowl etc. In Hoenn it was bound to be either Corphish or Torkoal. Turns out that Corphish is Ash's powerhouse (score-wise: 4 wins 1 draw 1 loss), and Pikachu got shafted (YAY!) as well as Torkoal.

Grovyle, Corphish and Swellow getting an ample amount of spotlight is good. Grovyle isn't the second Charizard like some people suspected, and Swellow has broken the old tradition that bird pokemon should perform horribly in the league.

Corphish.... Corphish.... so people, do you still think that Corphish should evolve into Crawdaunt because it's not strong enough?

I think I'm the only one in the forums that is pretty satisfied with the results.

Don't worry, Torkoal probably will get some decent spotlight against Tetsuya. I'm sure of it.

Last edited: May 27, 2005
  2. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Damm.....but well said guys n the side of defending Torkoal.

But Torkoal has done well in like three battles I can name off my head. Scizor in the drake epsiode, Slakoth in the firth battle and against Tropius. So i'm hoping for some spotlight in the battle against Tetsuya.

But frednmethod your right about one having to be the weakest and constant hints were goving though out hoenn due to it only having one gym battle.

But I don't see the point of Ash having one anymore, however they have given MAJOR possiblities for Torkoal such as

Metang
    Shiftry
    Venomoth
    Skarmory(If Winnona had used it)
    Scizor(Last battle against the girl)

And so on. I think they hate Torkoal.

3. Brinstar

Brinstar you suffer

Except Sneasel always pretty much sucked, which was why it needed an evolution, hopefully they'll rearrange its stats so it can take advantage of some friggin' STAB or give it more defense so it can take a hit...Torkoal is very playable on it's own, and I know I'm not the only one who got my *** handed to me by Flannery's Overheating Torkoal early on. The point is, Torkoal, game-wise, is fine. Ash's Torkoal doesn't seem to be able to pull its weight like the others, but it doesn't seem to be a problem, as they haven't actually addressed it on the show.

Personally, I'm content with the Hoenn League. I wasn't expecting some 20 episode story-arc, nor was I expecting any surprise evolutions. I just wanted to see Ash's Pokemon duke it out in some tough battles. I don't see Masamune as another Gary. Hell, they're nothing alike at all. Their only similarity is the match number Ash faces him at. Moreso, I like Masamune's team, despite the fact that the Pokemon I wanted to see battle the most, Girafarig and Growlithe didn't do so well. As for Tetsuya, He has enough of a past, and we've seen him battling to at least make him believable. He has a badass Meowth, and his team isn't full of super powered up Pokemon. Hell, the only reason Harrison was even worth a damn to anyone was because he had a Blaziken. Take away Blaziken, and the rest of his team was "meh".

The only problem with this battle I'm having is that Swampert was KOed by Corphish. I mean, is it me, or is Corphish a savage in this league?! He's wiped out enough Pokemon to skip the Crawdaunt stage and turn into Mewtwo! XD I'm glad Corphish is getting his revenge, but I wanted to see Swampert power through some of Ash's Pokemon. But then again, it's nice to see a 3rd stage Starter Pokemon that isn't godly in power.

4. Pokemon Fan

Pokemon Fan Knuckle Trainer

Concerning Torkoal, I think it should be noted that many of the battles it has been in were really well animated, good battles (i.e vs. the Steelix when it was first caught, vs. Lombre, vs. Scizor).

I think the real problem a lot of people have with Torkoal's performance is that they regard most of the battles its won as "unimportant." To me a quality battle is a quality battle. ^_^

Not that I wouldn't have had Torkoal perform better in this league, it's just still nothing to get too upset over in my view.

5. JazzJazz

JazzJazz Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's hard to draw... or the voice actor for torkoal is a nasty piece of work and they like to have him/her around as little as possible.

6. V Faction

V Faction www.faction.com

Well then they wouldn't have selected it as a Pokemon. Besides, I figure Glalie is x10 harder to draw with all his little bumps and shadows.

7. Korobooshi Kojiro

Korobooshi Kojiro Funnnngaaaaa

Miki does Torkoal!

Anyway, Glalie < Torkoal in drawing terms, IMO.

8. phoenix12

phoenix12 Guest

frednmethod mentioned that Noctowl got shafted in Johto, which I can't say I totally agree with....it won nearly the entire Morty battle by itself with this outta-nowhere super-powerful psychic attack...it just blew in the battle against Harrison because it was up against a Steelix...but Phanpy I totally agree with, that little cutie didn't get enough airtime at all

9. GreenKirby

GreenKirby GreenKirby

That was one lame battle. This whole match was plotted in minutes just like Masamune's Pokemon.

But I bet Tetsuya's battle will much better.

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  10. jolteonjak

jolteonjak *swoons for Noland*

The only reason I preferred it was because I thought it would have been left out (well I guess Torkoal gets that honor now...damn writers). I was thinking about it the other day. Crawdaunt can't be the easiest thing to draw and make move around. Plus as a Corphish it seems to have more agility (not the speed move) to manuver (that doesn't look right) than Crawdaunt would.

Before you flame me for the writers not making Squirtle, Totodile, or Cyndaquil evolve, I'm sorry, but I can't figure that one out. The way I see it Squirtle and Cyndaquil should have evolved.

11. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Squirtle should never evolve. Ash doesn't need a Wartotle.

Squirtle's personality is why it's so popular, why would they kill it off for a pointless evolution? It's the whole point why people like Bulbasaur and Squirtle, those two evolving would be idiocy upon the writers part. Squirtle kicks ***, I don't know why people think otherwise, it's stronger than that dim-witted lobster anyday.

As for his Johto pokes, yeah maybe some of them should have evolved. I really wanted Phanpy to evolve, but after all this Donphan crap the writers have shoved at us (Donphan filler, then Tetsuya having Donphan), seeing Ash with Donphan wouldn't be that special anymore.

12. frednmethod

frednmethod Banned

I was actually mentioning the Johto league, instead of the whole Johto saga, but come to think of it, Noctowl was shafted in the entire Johto region.

So it got the honor in beating Morty... and what else? That was the only gym battle Noctowl participated in (like Torkoal's only gym battle being against Norman). And as far as I can rememeber, Ash almost never used it to battle at all. Compare it to pokemon like Cyndauquil/Swellow/Corphish/Bayleef/Glalie... so yes, it was shafted. We could have seen a whole lot more of it, if Ash had realized that bird types are actually worth before he got Swellow.

13. True, and it got seen once or twice in the league(like Torkoal) and I think it lost. But I'm not sure.

But I'm having NO hopes of Torkoal in the next match due to we See Torkoal using flamethrower and Shiftry dodging it. But Torkoal must be redeemed don't you guys agree?

14. Heracross

Heracross Custom User Title

I have now seen this episode, and the battle was just... meh. Fortunately Masamune got his act together after his Guardie fainted, and continued the rest of the battle with his usual vigor. I'll try to give a short summary of the episode:

-There is a brief summary of the previous episode
    -From what I could understand, the judge is about to declare Masamune to be disqualified
    -Satoshi objects and insists Masamune sends out his next pokémon
    -Masamune chooses Guardie, and Heigani has little trouble defeating it
    -Masamune is about to have a breakdown when Satoshi yells at him to keep going, or something
    -Masamune regains his fighting spirit and sends out Laglarge
    -It and Heigani exchange atacks untill they both faint
    -They take a break as Masamune has lost three pokémon
    -The battle is resumed on a grass field
    -Satoshi chooses Pikachu and Masamune sends out Haganeeru
    -They exchange some attacks, mainly dig and quick attack, and eventually Pikachu is knocked out when they both use iron tail at the same moment
    -Satoshi sends out Kootasu, who is doing fine at first, but ends up being knocked out by dragonbreath
    -Satoshi sends out Juputoru, who dodges all of Haganeeru's attacks and uses leaf blade to cut straight through dragonbreath, at the same time defeating it
    -Masamune sends out Gligar and the two pokémon get into a semi-aerial battle which ends up with Gligar slamming Juputoru into the ground and defeating it
    -Satoshi sends out Oosubame, who engages Gligar in an aerial match (obviously)
    -The two pokémon end up knocking each other out
    -Satoshi sends out Onigohri, and Masamune uses Metang
    -The two pokémon exchange attacks, and Onigohri comes out on top
    -Later, Masamune and Satoshi-tachi meet up again, and Masamune congratulates Satoshi and wishes him luck, or something XP
    -Musashi-tachi are shown eating a large dinner, provided by their 'boss'
    -Tetsuya is shown talking to is pokémon and there is a rather interesting-looking dialogue between Nyasu of the Rocket-dan and Tetsuya's Nyasu
    -Satoshi and Masamune are shown having a rather long converation sitting in hammocks next to each other in the trees
    -Satoshi finds out that he will be facing Tetsuya
    -The battle begins with Satoshi choosing Onigohri, and Tetsuya going with Jukain right off the bat
    -The episode ends as Jukain's solarbeam and Onigohri's ice beam collide and make a large explosion (gee, where have we seen that before?)

Worst summary ever. :p

Anyways, on a whole the battle could have been much better, but it did have it's good points. I also liked the music they chose to use - there were a couple pieces from the fifth movie and at least one from the Raikou special, so that was good. And I'll be looking foreward to when someone who knows Japanese gets ahold of the episode so they can translate the what Nyasu says to Tetsuya's Nyasu.

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  15. Haine

Haine Well-Known Member

I just saw AG130.

I noticed something, if Satoshi loses against Tetsuya, I know it would be top 8 again. However it would be that he made it to the third round and in one of the first eps of Hoenn he was talking about how he made it to the second round in Johto. If that is true then regardless if he loses or wins he made it one round further than Johto.

However he did make that second round comment in the dub so I hope it is accurate.

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  16. Heracross

Heracross Custom User Title

By the way, if anyone was wondering what meteor mash looks like, here's a picture. Pretty cool-looking attack if you ask me, and the computer generated stuff looks great.

17. Wow, poor Glalie, but I always wondered what it would look like.

Thanks for the summry though, it helped me.

18. What about Swampert who did he face? (sorry I don't know the Japanese names)

19. ChaosMage

ChaosMage Izit cuz I is black?

So far in the league, speed and evasiveness have played a major role. Unfortunately, Torkoal has very low abilities of this nature. Why do you think Swellow, Grovyle, Glalie and Corphish are kicking arse and he's not? He can hardly move, and I doubt he's the brightest bulb in the box.

Anyway, the updated table as it stands!

Pikachu
    Wins- Hitmonlee
    Losses- Dugtrio, Steelix

Grovyle
    Wins- Quilava, Walrien, Steelix
    Losses- Charizard, Gligar

Glalie
    Wins- Charizard, Dugtrio, Metang
    Draws- Misdreavus

Corphish
    Wins- Swalot, Golduck, Girafarig, Growlithe
    Losses- Walrien
    Draws- Swampert

Swellow
    Wins- Venomoth, Scizor
    Losses- Walrien
    Draws- Gligar

Torkoal
    Losses- Golduck, Steelix
    Draws- Tropius

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  20. Gravy

Gravy Contaminated KFC

Chaosmage, Corphish didn't loose to Venomoth. Kaeda tried to have Venomoth use supersonic on Corphish, but it was already confused so the move didn't work. Then Ash quickly returned it and sent out Swellow. Corphish was brought out later and was defeated by a (painful looking) body slam thanks to Walrein~