• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Choose It Or Lose It! (407)

TeddiUrsa

what attack did glalie use to take down metang? It look like rapid spin too me ( cause it was spinning like crazy..^^) but I m not sure if satoshi ordered a different attack as it sounded nothing like "Kousoku supin" to me. was it a headbutt on crack?

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Type Wild!! *dances about* How awesome!
I must admit this episode wasn't as good as the last one, but it would have been hard to top it anyway.
In order to bring out more emotional scenes (that were the real focus of this ep IMO, rather than the battle) they rushed the fight a bit too much. But I'm okay with it. At least they played some good BGMs ^_^
I'm really glad Ash provoked Masamune in order to make him battle properly. As I said in the Speculation Thread, I would have hated it if it had been some corny dialogues.

As for the battle, I liked Swellow vs. Gligar the most. The only thing about it that irritated me was that they used the same attack-and-explosion-animation three times in a row..
Glalie did well too, but Ash forgot to hug it this time XP Not that I'm complaining, but it was a sweet habit somehow.

Lastly, I loved the conversation between the two Meowths. It was really funny when TR Meowth warned the other one of Pikachu, and Meowth-in-boots just made some snobbish sounding comments and walked off.

Overall, it wasn't excellent, but still a very good episode.

EDIT: TeddiUrsa, it was Headbutt. But it looked different in this episode, that's for sure.

Last edited:

V Faction

www.faction.com
Are they afraid to give Glalie new moves? That Headbutt sure is a jack-of-all-trades attack. Next thing you know, it'll give birth.

W

WindyNight

Okay, I just watched that episode.. The battle between Ash and Masamune was okay...
Now, I have a few things to say:
~Pikachu was acting poorly in the HL and same as Torkoal...
~Grovyle and Glalie were really great in the HL...
~Masamune was not battling as good as he used to be....
Overall, I give a rating 7/10 for the episode...^^

Gligar versus Grovyle is a HUGE YES from me. Everyone knows Grovyle is a powerhouse, and anything that can take it down is a powerful Pokémon. If anything, this episode was meant to show us how strong a Gligar really can be. It didn't get a direct loss, either, as it tied with Swellow. Yay for the writers liking Gligar!!
Glalie has been owning in this League, which I think great. Glalie's pretty UU anywhere(even though all of its Base Stats are 80, which is pretty good), and these impressive victories really give it some much-needed redemption.
Also, Snorunt probably had a great deal of experience beforehand. It evolves at Lv. 42 ingame. I know the animé is different, but that has to play some part in this. Snorunt evolves later than any other Pokémon Ash has ever had. For it to evolve in such a short time after receiving it, it must've had a great deal of experience beforehand. We just never realized it through its goofy, eccentric exterior.

SC~ out

JazzJazz

Sheer Cold said:
Also, Snorunt probably had a great deal of experience beforehand. It evolves at Lv. 42 ingame. I know the animé is different, but that has to play some part in this. Snorunt evolves later than any other Pokémon Ash has ever had. For it to evolve in such a short time after receiving it, it must've had a great deal of experience beforehand. We just never realized it through its goofy, eccentric exterior.

My thoughts exactly, we rarely get any indication how much experience the pokemon have when they're first caught (except for a few examples).

I know. People are always saying 'X shouldn't evolve/win because he was only barely caught and has little experience!' Krabby, like Snorunt could have had a good amount of battling experience before it was caught. And it's not that surprising, since Ash focused on training for only Snorunt for like 15 episodes.

Heracross

Custom User Title
But Satoshi's 'training' really sucked, and consisted mainly of him telling Yukiwarashi to use ice beam repeatedly. -_-

And like I said earlier, even though it may have been in battles in the wild, that's nothing like competing in the Houen League. Pokémon battling there are much more powerful than wild ones, and have been trained by humans. The fact that Onigohri is doing so well with such little competitive battling experience and rather lousy training is what I find annoying.

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Heracross said:
But Satoshi's 'training' really sucked, and consisted mainly of him telling Yukiwarashi to use ice beam repeatedly. -_-
It may not have helped it learn the move but it probably jacked up its experience level. Punching a bean bag will make you stronger even if your fighting skills don't improve from it. ^_^

And like I said earlier, even though it may have been in battles in the wild, that's nothing like competing in the Houen League. Pokémon battling there are much more powerful than wild ones, and have been trained by humans. The fact that Onigohri is doing so well with such little competitive battling experience and rather lousy training is what I find annoying.
I wonder just how much that applies in the anime. They've never actually said that wild Pokemon are usually weaker than trained ones, though it can be said to be usually true some of the wild Pokemon they've encountered have been far stronger than trained examples. The variation is extreme. i.e just look at how small and weak that Swampert of Masumune's was compared to the Swampert met early in Hoenn (which had recieved some training but my point stands).

Unlike in the game, wild Pokemon train themselves and get stronger through living. Once they have a human trainer they can unlock even greater power but not always. It seems it comes with a risk. They've repeatedly said in the anime that a Pokemon can only be as strong as its trainer. Due to that connection, a lot of Pokemon may not perform to their true potential. For instance, I'll bet Masamune's Girafarig would have appeared a lot stronger if it had been commanded properly. And we've seen how weak Ash's Pokemon can seem when he gives them poor commands. It's the old trainer link.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

Im just looking at the pics

How could Corphish knock out Swampert with crab hammer?

As a user of swampert I am offended!

It's nice to see Torkoal have some screen time, especially againts a Steelix

crawdauntpro

darksidetrainer
Corphish and Swampert DKO'd each other and Torkoal lost to Steelix which i think is really unfair even though he lost through what looked like "Dragonbreath".

How could Corphish knock out Swampert with crab hammer?

Then what other attack did you expect Corphish to use? Crabhammer is Corphish's strongest attack. It KOs more than 80% of its opponents by Crabhammer.

Hey, I just noticed something while playing the games.
My Snorunt just evolved into Glalie and I checked its size... it's bigger than the trainer! I wonder why the animators decided to shrink Glalie so much and make it just about as big as Ash's upper body, when in the games it's supposed to be about a head bigger than Ash. Maybe they thought it would be too scary then? I'm not sure but I sure would have like Glalie to be its original size, then quite a few people would stop complaining about how Glalie is on fire and defeating anyone in sight right now.

Heracross

Custom User Title
It doesn't matter how big it is, it's the fact that it was so recently caught and only evolved about five episodes ago. >_>

V Faction

www.faction.com
If you look, you'll find Glalie was much bigger in its debut episode. Ash could've probably ridden on its head. I wish they hadn't shrunk it either, but what ya gonna do.

Ryusuke Hikari

Rurouni Kenshin
By the way, if anyone was wondering what meteor mash looks like, here's a picture. Pretty cool-looking attack if you ask me, and the computer generated stuff looks great.
I'm amazed that Glalie survied that attack. 0_0

The writers are getting sloppy...again. -_- I was expecting a battle like the previous Houen battle. It was believable and long. I mean this fight only had one-hit-Kos and Torcoal got beaten by a Steelix? 0_o That's crazy if you ask me. Glalie...I still don't know how it got THAT much power. But, I have hope that Ash's battle with Tatsya will be better than this battle...

Torcoal got beaten by a Steelix? 0_o That's crazy if you ask me

If you think about it though, Steelix beating a Torkoal isn't that weird. Both are super-effective against each other. Ground is effective against fire, and fire is effective against steel, while neutral to fire. Notice that Steelix never use Iron Tail on Torkoal, it only used Dig and Dragonbreath.

So it's not strange at all that Steelix beat Torkoal. Plus, we've seen that it's one of Masamune's strongest pokemon besides Gligar.

TeddiUrsa

many people did expect a pikachu/metang battle due to their first battle, but I think the glalie/metang battle was a better idea because both pokemon are fresh-evolved pokemon , a contests who could handle his newest pokemon better