• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Choosing an Unnatural Starter?

colorless-winter

i love my Sylveon!
on my most recent playthrough of pokemon platinum i picked a starter caught a bidoof and transfered a murkrow, weavile and houndour over as soon as i got the first badge (so they would listen to me) after doing some grinding with the newborns they were ready for me too use and didnt touch my syarter. so i agree that this would be awesome if it happened. i love the idea of being able to pick your own starter but no legendarys and probably have to be in their baby/only/first evolution.

BearTown

He needs a tissue :(
I have always wanted to start with a different pokemon too. I'd pick poochyena or vulpix. I think it would make the game more interesting if they mixed it up. or at least changed the starters type for a game. yes yes yes I know it's classic to have fire water grass. but there are other triangles you could use.

Skydra

Actually this guy brings up a good point. What if someone picked magikarp. They cant continue game without outside help as in from another game.

Maybe they wouldn't put a Magikarp in the roulette wheel in the first place? Note that he said a pool of 20; the developers wouldn't intentionally add a feature that causes the game to be impossible to complete. Also note that it would be possible to continue the game, in fact, by using a Poke Ball on a Pidgey or something.

SolidWolverine

I think it would be awesome to choose your own starter. Something like mystery dungeon but without the quiz. It would make for a lot more variety, and would just be pretty cool in general.

gpdlt

Pokemon Trainer
Makes you wonder what the starters for the trainers in the games are. A bug catcher just finds a Caterpie in his room and just swipes it.

We Need a Dragon Starter GOD And No More Fire/fighting its geting old

EeveeSkitty

Pokemon.
Actually this guy brings up a good point. What if someone picked magikarp. They cant continue game without outside help as in from another game.

Actually, if you used Potions you could Splash until you Struggle and level up like that (assuming you can buy Potions before battling anyone). It would be challenging but not impossible.

tomjames1966

We need a fighting, dark and physic type starters, cause I' mean, the professors must have an entire daycare full of starters (prehaps the reason you don't see any is because the professors have stolen them from most of the other trainers!) >.>

-Nator-

We need a fighting, dark and physic type starters, cause I' mean, the professors must have an entire daycare full of starters (prehaps the reason you don't see any is because the professors have stolen them from most of the other trainers!) >.>

That would be slightly unfair to the person who chooses the Psychic type since Dark is completely immune to it.
Try a different set of types...

BearTown

He needs a tissue :(

No, we don't.

Dragon is too overpowered to be a second type for a starter. We need a ---/Ghost, ---/Poison and ---/Dark.

totally on board with this. poison and dark are my two fav types. Id have a hard time deciding

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
totally on board with this. poison and dark are my two fav types. Id have a hard time deciding

I appreciate both of these types too. But what would be really interesting is a Grass/Ghost starter. Perhaps something based on Jack-o'-lantern.

It wouldn't work, since Dark is immune to Psychic. If they ever change the Grass/Fire/Water pattern, it should be to Flying, Fighting and Rock.

Flying > Fighting > Rock > Flying.

General Nonsense

Star Glider
Actually, if you used Potions you could Splash until you Struggle and level up like that (assuming you can buy Potions before battling anyone). It would be challenging but not impossible.

In theory that might work, but in practice it probably wouldn't since you'd have to use splash 40 times before it could use struggle. Not to mention the opponent could land a critical hit and KO you before you could use splash that many times.

It'd be cool to be given a random pokemon as your starter. It'd make things interesting.

Buuz

Smash Trainer
That would be slightly unfair to the person who chooses the Psychic type since Dark is completely immune to it.
Try a different set of types...

Something like Machop, Pidgey and Geodude or Roggenrola, Pidove and Timburr?

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Steel/Fire/Rock would also work.

Anyway, I think that a different set of starters is a bad idea, and will never be implemented outside of spinoff games.

-Nator-

Something like Machop, Pidgey and Geodude or Roggenrola, Pidove and Timburr?

No, that wouldn't work either because Pidgey & Pidove are part Normal, which would make Fighting neutral to it.

It has to be completely fair.

Dreamy

I like this idea, maybe at the beginning when you are entering your name and gender it asks you what is your favorite type or maybe several questions similar to the ones in Mystery Dungeon to determine the type of Pokemon you will receive. Instead of any Pokemon they should make it an iconic or mid-range power Pokemon of that type.