• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Choosing an Unnatural Starter?

Silverwynde

My Sweet Guardian
I like the idea. If it were me, I'd pick Golett as my starter any day of the week. Too cute to pass up, you know.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I'd like a starter that's an evolutionary standalone. Therefore, it would be great at the beginning, but increasingly less useful as the game goes on. Depending on the species.

Okay, scenario:

1. Start new game.
2. Meet the Prof.
3. Spin roulette wheel (Game mechanics).
4. "Obtained a MAGIKARP from the Professor!"

... No, thanks.

I'm fairly sure species like that would be taken out of the running.

!jirachi!

3/4 dead...
great idea but this aint be happenging... i would pick riolu or pikachu i think

Metagross8

Ribbon Maniac
I completely agree. I'd like to see a different option in the main series so I could choose something like a Ralts or Gothita to start my journey. Getting an egg would be cool, too...
Oh, but another possibility would be for a safari zone-esque point early in the game where we encounter unusual pokemon for a route and throw a ball at it to catch it. The ball wouldn't fail, so you've got one decision to make based on all the pokemon available.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I often do this. I start new games very often, and quickly get tired of the common starters.
My most memorable is the Sneasel in HG. It was made for the purpose of being a "Starter"-pokemon

Dark Violet Moon Ray

I'd like a starter that's an evolutionary standalone. Therefore, it would be great at the beginning, but increasingly less useful as the game goes on. Depending on the species.

I'm fairly sure species like that would be taken out of the running.

That condition was not listed in your roulette theory. How was I to know what you actually meant?

Dark Violet Moon Ray

I completely agree. I'd like to see a different option in the main series so I could choose something like a Ralts or Gothita to start my journey. Getting an egg would be cool, too...
Oh, but another possibility would be for a safari zone-esque point early in the game where we encounter unusual pokemon for a route and throw a ball at it to catch it. The ball wouldn't fail, so you've got one decision to make based on all the pokemon available.

Hmm... :)

K e y s t r o k e s

DarkOverlord777

The Dragon Mage
I would actually love this. Perhaps it could let you pick a type,and it would give you a small list of pokemon of that type that evolve twice(like the current starters.) I once played through diamond using a riolu as my starter. It was excellent.

Floette

Fennekin
This would be really cool. I would pick Kecleon. Now that would be an interesting playthrough.

Umbreon9

It's been a while...
Yeah, I wish they'd do something like what they do in PMD. The game (or the professor) could give you a personality test, and give you the Pokémon who he/she thinks is the most compatible with your character.

THIS. Okay, this is a good idea. Seriously.

M.E.G.S.L.D.

Dawn da Girl Trainer

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
I would actually like to have a different starter... Unnatural I mean.. XP I would pick Deino or... Ralts :3 XP