• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Choosing an Unnatural Starter?

GildedScizor

The drinking bird
I think a Rock/Flying/Fighting choice would be good. Rock is super effective to Flying and resists it at the same time, Flying is super effective against Fighting and resists it at the same time, and Fighting is super effective against Rock and still resists it at the same time. In essence you get the same system that works with Fire/Water/Grass we have today.

Blazeing Man

proffesional artist
i think there should be dragon starters and the final form of all the starters would be dragon and a nother type.

So like dragon/fire dragon/rock dragon/ice or some thing.

Sea Swampert

being piratey
Now while I think this would be a cool idea, for me the whole idea falls down when you consider my fave pokemon is Swampert. How do you get Swampert? That's right Mudkip, so I would just end up choosing a normal starter any way :/. Granted though, I do have other faves, so Bagon or Gligar, for the eventual Salamence and Gliscor would be pretty awesome!

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
Cool notion, after the original G/S I expected them to introduce starters that were Dark and Steel since they were new types. Clearly that hasn't happened.
Truthfully with the darker storyline in Black/White and BW2 I think they missed an opportunity to try something new.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Tyrogue. I would make sure it evolved into a Hitmonchan. I just always loved Hitmonchan, ever since 1998. It was the first pokemon card I got (Base set holofoil), the first figure I got (along with Hitmonlee--you know, in those old "Battle Figure" two packs?) and my all-time favorite pokemon.

Tyrouge would be a really cool starter. I would evolve it into Hitmontop because I love its design and it is a great Pokémon.

Blood Red Absol

AquaMilotic's Waifu
I think a Rock/Flying/Fighting choice would be good. Rock is super effective to Flying and resists it at the same time, Flying is super effective against Fighting and resists it at the same time, and Fighting is super effective against Rock and still resists it at the same time. In essence you get the same system that works with Fire/Water/Grass we have today.

I like the Idea of Dark, Psychic and Fighting.
although I do like the idea of keeping the Grass, Fire and Water starters.

QuestionClaw

Prince of Doom
What I would like to see is this set of starters:

A Grass/Fighting type
A Water/Psychic type
A Fire/Dark type

Cutty

Forever now
I'd like to see any variations other than we have now.
Dark, Psychic, Fighting sound cool.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
Even if Dark/Psychic/Fighting sounds like a good idea, it wouldn't work. The main reason is because it is not a type triangle. A type triangle should work in both ways, just like the Grass/Fire/Water one.

The type triangle that has been standard for the series works like this: Grass beats Water, Water beats Fire, Fire beats Grass, Grass resists Water, Water resists Fire, Fire resists Grass. However, this is not the case with the Dark/Psychic/Fighting "type triangle", since Dark is immune to the type that it hits for supper effective damage, leaving Psychic at a great disadvantage.

An example of a working type triangle would be Rock/Flying/Fighting, which I think would be interesting to have as an option for starters.

Last edited:
For black and white 2 they had an oportunity to do this since the pokedex had been expanded i would have done it like mystery dungeon that you get a pokemon depending on a questionaire then your rival would get an eevee and depending on the starter you have then theyd have an eeveelotion that has the advantage over your starter that was such a missed opportunity. Then you could get tepig snivy or oshawatt later in the game or id love a game where you get eevee as your starter and so does your rival pokemon brown anyone. Then like xd gale of darkness then theyd get an eevee with a advantage over yours.

Nephilim

Muffin Button Master
I'd love to play through a game with a Houndour/Houndoom instead of the typical starters. Or the ideas previous posters have had about a randomized pool of various Pokemon, or even the personality test idea from Mystery Dungeon

meismadatyou

Johto League Master
I think the next main series game (R/S/E remakes hopefully) should give the player options of one Pokemon from one type, if this makes sense.
Basically, there are 17 types, so 17 starters. And your rival(s) would still obviously be allowed to have the type advantage.
Normal: Probably Eevee
Fire/Water/Grass:Usual Starters
Electric: Pikachu
Bug: Wurmple
Dragon: Axew
Dark: Poochyena
Fighting: Tyrogue
Psychic: Ralts
Ghost: Duskull/Ghastly
Flying: Wingull/Zubat(Only if the encounter rate goes down in caves)
Ground: Cubone/Phanpy
Ice: Snorunt
Poison: Gulpin
Steel: Aron
Rock: Geodude

Rovian

Kodoku no Koori
I've wanted this since the generation one games, Red and Blue.

Wouldn't it be fun to start a pokémon game with a random egg? It could be awesome exept if you get a Magikarp :p
Any pokemon that starts off with zero damage dealing moves would be bad.
Spoink begins with Splash.
Cubone begins with Tail Whip (in gen 1, it began with bone club).
Jigglypuff begins with Sing.
Kakuna/Metapod begins with Harden.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
I think the next main series game (R/S/E remakes hopefully) should give the player options of one Pokemon from one type, if this makes sense.
Basically, there are 17 types, so 17 starters. And your rival(s) would still obviously be allowed to have the type advantage.

That would be just like in Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, where you could have seventeen different partners. Taking your hypothetical 3rd gen remakes it would be something like this.

Normal: Whismur
Electric: Electrike
Dragon: Bagon
Fighting: Makuhita
Ghost: Duskull/Shuppet
Flying: Taillow
Ground: Trapinch/Baltoy
Rock: Nosepass

Having only 3rd gen Pokémon as options would make sense.

SoulMuse

Shadow of nothing

That is all fine and good, but I don't think they should include dragon if such a system where in place. Even Axew/Fraxure/Haxorus are pretty broken my ingame standards, once you get dragon dance, two of three of those, and you could solo the entire game with just your starter. And ralts would need to start with confusion.

Ditto B1tch

Yes, this could be a gread idea for a spin. If you could have the chance to pick up your favorite Pokemon from all others to start your journey seems so nice. I would have multiple choices, none of them were going to be the known starters.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Any pokemon that starts off with zero damage dealing moves would be bad.
Spoink begins with Splash.
Cubone begins with Tail Whip (in gen 1, it began with bone club).
Jigglypuff begins with Sing.
Kakuna/Metapod begins with Harden.

Of course, if the proposed idea were to happen, the beginning few moves of these Pokémon could be changed to accommodate being able to start off with these Pokémon.

Mr Awesome

Leafy Trainer
It would be cool to have like a dark, physic, and fighting trio instead of fire, grass, and water.

It all works, but unique.

Egg idea sounds cool too