• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Choosing the right pokéball.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Choosing the right pokéball.

As I assume most of you know, Pokémon X and Y introduced a new feature in that when breeding pokémon, instead of all eggs producing pokémon in pokéballs, the baby inherits the type of pokéball it was caught in from its mother (ditto doesn't count).

The only exceptions to this rule are the master ball and the cherish ball. All others, including the johto exclusive pokéballs and the dream ball (which no longer has a unique animation :().

As such, when breeding for the perfect competitive pokémon or shinies, there's now a new thing to obsess over getting right. Do you particularly care what pokéball your pokémon are caught in? How do you choose which ball seems right? Is the balls appearence or its entry animation more important? How much is too much effort for getting a rare ball, and do you think mons in rare balls will become more valuable for trading, such as fossils which can only be obtain in non-standard balls via the now shut down dream world, or the johto starters which can only be caught in Colosseum?

tldr version; This thread is about balls.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
If you breed a male Pokemon with a Ditto the offspring will hatch in whatever PokeBall the Ditto was caught in. I use this to get a female of the species in a regular PokeBall as I don't like having my non-legendary EV trained Pokemon in anything other than regular PokeBalls. To be honest I don't like the fact that baby Pokemon hatch in the same PokeBall as their mother as it means I have to spend longer breeding them. It also means that I can't breed for female only Pokemon I don't have access to unless someone trades me one in a regular PokeBall which a lot of people don't use.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I care with the design!.I want it to match my pokémon design, or at least a bit. The pokéball animation entry too. Example, all my Ghost pokémon were caught using a Duskball. Blue pokémon I caught with Netball, or Great Ball if there is a slight red color there. Red pokémon I go for standard ball. Yellow I use Ultraball. Really, I'm that picky.
Oh yes, and the Premier Ball is great for caughting anything really! <3

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I tend to have Pokéballs for my regular Team, but Premier Balls or Cherish Balls (why must these be Event only...) are for special stuff, and I love them <3

I would also use Timer Balls for the Swords of Justice, Dusk Balls for Giratina and the Regis, etc.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I tend to have Pokéballs for my regular Team, but Premier Balls or Cherish Balls (why must these be Event only...) are for special stuff, and I love them <3

I would also use Timer Balls for the Swords of Justice, Dusk Balls for Giratina and the Regis, etc.

Oh heck, I had forgot the Timer Balls! They are great too and have an awesome design. Fitting almost anything.

Also, I'm sad we can't have the balls made from apricorn, really. I loved Heavy Balls.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Oh heck, I had forgot the Timer Balls! They are great too and have an awesome design. Fitting almost anything.

Also, I'm sad we can't have the balls made from apricorn, really. I loved Heavy Balls.

Well, if they're from HGSS they'll retain that Pokéball and you can still get them and breed them like that.

Dusk Ball for Ghost-types
Dive Ball for Water-types
Luxury Ball for Dark types
Premier Ball for Normal-types
Poké/Repeat Ball for Fire-types
Nest Ball for Grass-types
Net Ball for Bug-types
Heal Ball for pink pokémons.
Quick Ball for Electric-types.

I go after something like this. (I don't like Ultra/Great Ball tho.)

Typhlosion1234

i mainly use dusk balls, im disappointed they downgraded the dusk ball animation from gen 5 to the now purple arrow animation, the only other pokeballs i use are dive, quick, and premier, i laugh everytime i send out my shiny charizard, because i caught it as a charmeleon in a dive ball lol

I generally don't care about the ball my pokémon is in. But I'm kinda glad I caught my Feraligatr in Colosseum with a great ball since the colors suit her. And since she's female I'll be able to breed great ball totodiles when bank is released.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Aside from using pokéballs when absolutely necessary or no other options are available, I normally use a pokéball when I feel it best suits that specific pokémon. There have also been times when I use a random pokéball when I'm all out of options and think to myself "What the heck?," such as when I used a Net Ball to catch a Honedge, a Dive Ball to catch a Bellsprout, and a Pokéball to catch a Regirock (all of which worked btw)

GioRocket

Team Rocket Forever
I alway thought I was a little OCD in that I want all my Pokemon In Poke Balls xD I never warmed to all the new fancy new designs(even as early as GS), just the old school Red and White is all I need :D

backwardinduction

I've only started to care about maintaing the pokeball in breeding.

I've been planning an IV bred team for when I play through Y soon, and my team thus is as follows:

Male Frillish in a dive Ball
Eevee w/HA and Wish (to be a Sylveon) in a Heal Ball
Shiny Pawniard with sucker punch and quick guard in a luxury ball (It came out shiny with 3IVs in the stats it would normally use, so yeah I'm using it! I wasn't even MMing)
Rotom-Oven Form in a pokeball since it has to ditto breed, but thats cool. A timer ball would look cooler though
Heracross w/Rock Blast in a net ball
and Roselia w/Leaf Storm and Sleep Powder in a Premier Ball. I'm going to try to Masuda Method one with a foregin male 5IV parent, so wish me luck! Roserade's shiny form looks so cool.

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
It doesn't matter to me. My favorite Ambipom (Jolly Nature, max Speed, Attack, Defense, and Special Attack, has Fake Out, born on my birthday :3) is in a Timer Ball.

I ain't even mad.

I used to not really care about what ball my pokemon were caught in, but now i've shifted towards capturing a pokemon within a pokeball close to their color / environment to which they reside. That being said, I still think that the Heavy Ball is one of my favorite pokeball designs / color schemes.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I just use whatever works best in the current situation. I used to only use regular pokeballs except for legendaries, but i dont care anymore.

Grei

not the color
Pokemon with healing abilities generally go in Heal Balls. Though I like Heal Balls and will use them often.

Usually I keep multiple Pokemon in Pokeballs. At least two, maybe three. The rest can be in basically any Pokeball. I really like Repeat Balls, Luxury Balls, Heal Balls (as stated), and Dive Balls. Net Balls are OK but I typically don't like putting bugs in them. I never use Nest Balls and typically don't bother with Timer Balls because of their release animation. I use Quick Balls on anything I don't plan on using, but I don't mind having one in a Quick Ball if it's a Pokemon with high speed.

I'm weird. Or, maybe not, looking at these responses.

Ѕhiny Missingno

Luxury Balls for everything! EVERYTHING!

Well, more seriously though, Dive Balls for blue pokémon works really nicely. Generally I just want to have matching colours when choosing my balls.

Does anyone else seriously dislike the designs of Quick Ball, Dusk Ball and Timer Ball in XY? Some pokémon like Galvantula can work with them because of their matching colour scheme but generally I avoid using those.

I had always kind of hoped that eventually you'd be able to switch out the pokeballs of your pokemon. Like if you caught a pokemon in a great ball and you wanted it to be in a premier, you'd have the option to replace the great ball with a premier. I don't think you should be able to get the great ball back though, because that could lead to master ball abuse.

Another thought I always toyed with was breeding- where do all of the pokeballs come from when you hatch the eggs? You should have to provide the pokeball for the hatched eggs, and that would give you a lot more freedom in your pokemon's customization.

More on topic though, the only time I really focus on catching a pokemon with a certain ball is if the pokemon is shiny. In which case, I try to catch it with a luxury or a premier, only because I like their designs the best.

GravityStorm

Got it memorized?
I always used to try to keep any Pokemon that I planned on using for my team in the standard Pokeballs, but now I try to use Luxury Balls for everything. They look cool and have a good effect so it works out really well!

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I have to say, with the new Gen VI shiny 'mons, catching X shiny on X pokéball, is a must. Like, shiny Clawitzer on a Great Ball would be so much boss! Or Trevenant on a Premier Ball.

I had always kind of hoped that eventually you'd be able to switch out the pokeballs of your pokemon. Like if you caught a pokemon in a great ball and you wanted it to be in a premier, you'd have the option to replace the great ball with a premier. I don't think you should be able to get the great ball back though, because that could lead to master ball abuse.

That's some AWESOME idea, man! Why no one thought of that before! I would love it and it makes catching, to people like me, a much easier process and make the battling aesthetics more beauty!