• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Chronicles of Unova (PG-15)

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
Um... she's off with Cheren right now, bro; hence why she wasn't in the chapter at all. I'll refer you to the line from Chapter 8, "In a flash, the pair was gone; for the first time since their adventure began, David couldn’t feel Paula’s mind connected to his. It was a sad, empty feeling, but he knew it would make her return that much more rewarding."

Okay, I fogot the David couldn’t feel Paula’s mind connected to his. part in the line, but I did know Paula was gone. Even still, with as strong as she is, I was think she'd have felt something

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Okay, I fogot the David couldn’t feel Paula’s mind connected to his. part in the line, but I did know Paula was gone. Even still, with as strong as she is, I was think she'd have felt something

How do you know she didn't and David just didn't feel her response? ;) We'll just have to wait for Chapter 10 to find out.

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person
I have a problem with this story.....there's not enough of it! Give me mooooooore!!!

-ahem-

Sorry about that.

Anyways, you're great at writing this stuff and you should definitely keep on making it. I have to avoid reading this stuff with a full mouth though because I tend to choke while laughing.

However there are some things I would like to mention. I'd like to see a chapter where we get to see the Pokemon hang out and we can tell what they say. Also, would you mind not having the Yamask and Munchlax evolve before Cheron and David gets their fifth badge? You seem to rush the evolutions.

also, feel free to add me to the PM list.

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
I have a problem with this story.....there's not enough of it! Give me mooooooore!!!

-ahem-

Sorry about that.

Anyways, you're great at writing this stuff and you should definitely keep on making it. I have to avoid reading this stuff with a full mouth though because I tend to choke while laughing.

However there are some things I would like to mention. I'd like to see a chapter where we get to see the Pokemon hang out and we can tell what they say. Also, would you mind not having the Yamask and Munchlax evolve before Cheron and David gets their fifth badge? You seem to rush the evolutions.

also, feel free to add me to the PM list.

You know, in that vein, I'm not sure ol' Munchy would be the same character if he were to ever evolve. I'd vote to not evolve him at all, but that's just me.

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person
You know, in that vein, I'm not sure ol' Munchy would be the same character if he were to ever evolve. I'd vote to not evolve him at all, but that's just me.

Yeah, let's keep the tiny black hole tiny.

Gegoory

Good day CB,

I have an idea on who GR is (I'm not even going to try to spell his name), he is Yamask's former self! Heh? HEH? ;186;

Edit: I really abuse edit.

Edit 5: Derp

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
This chapter contains scenes of violence of a more graphic nature than is typically found in this story. The PG-15 rating is still applicable, but readers are cautioned to not read this chapter if torture or death are subjects of too graphic a nature for them to handle. Underage or offended readers are suggested to partake in more age appropriate content.

Author's Notes:
Hi everyone, here is Chapter 10 of Chronicles of Unova, "The Legend of Gustavo Riviera." This is the conclusion of the two-part chapter arc from Chapter 8 in which we finally get to see where Cheren and Paula went on their personal adventure. We also get to learn the events of Cheren's story he mentioned at the end of Chapter 9. Stay tuned for partial excitement!

I'd like to address one thing you all have been saying first though. We got a couple of new readers posting for the first time, and the PM list has doubled in size (2 to 4). I'm glad you all liked the character Munchlax showed in the last chapter so much, but I'm afraid I won't be taking your suggestions to keep him from evolving. Rest assured, he won't evolve for a long time, but he will have to evolve eventually. It will probably not be any sooner than Icirrus City, but at some point prior to Part 2 he will evolve into a Snorlax. Rest assured that it will not change the character or the humor though; he will still be the same lovable black hole he is now, just... bigger. He'll still be just as inadvertently funny as he is now, he'll just be a lot fatter; think Al Gore, but a Pokemon. :D

While I'm mentioning the PM list, it did in fact double since the last chapter was posted. Admittedly, 2 doubling to 4 isn't dealing with very large numbers, but it was still unexpected and pretty cool. I've been toying with the idea of showing you guys something I think you might find neat, but I'm not sure about the logistics of whether it would actually even be possible or not. If it is, how would you guys like it if I tied it to the PM list? Like... when the list reaches X number of people, I'll post the surprise, like on YouTube when people post special videos for reaching a certain number of subscribers. What would you all think of something like that? Let me know in the comments and I'll look into the logistics of it if you approve.

On to the chapter itself, I have just a few things I want to comment on. They're pretty spoilerish though, so return to this point after reading the chapter.

1. This chapter delves into Pokemon canon pretty deeply. For those of you who don't know or don't remember, I'd like to just quote a couple of things. From Absol's Pokemon Ruby Pokedex entry, "Every time Absol appears before people, it is followed by a disaster such as an earthquake or a tidal wave. As a result, it came to be known as the disaster Pokémon." From Absol's Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Pokedex entry, "It senses coming disasters and appears before people only to warn them of impending danger." And finally, from Giratina's Pokemon Platinum, Black and White Pokedex entry, "It was banished for its violence. It silently gazed upon the old world from the Distortion World." What that "violence" actually refers to has never been implicitly stated in official canon before though.

2. I imagine most of you will pick up on the fact that I'm using Sinnoh legends very heavily in a story about Unova. I'd like to just address that right now. While Dialga, Palkia, Giratina and Arceus are "Sinnoh Pokemon" technically speaking, they represent the ultimate deities that rule over the entire Pokemon world. Christianity, for comparison, may have started in Rome with the birth of Jesus, but it has since then spread to all corners of the world; calling it an "Italian religion" or referring to the Christian God as an "Italian deity" would be just as incorrect as calling Arceus et. al. "Sinnoh Legendaries." They rule over the whole universe, and were simply introduced in Generation 4. Reshiram and Zekrom will still make their appearance yet, rest assured.

3. Just a small aside, but I don't feel like I described the purple smoke that appears when they make their time warps adequately. Just to describe it further, I imagine it looking something like this.

4. Giratina's character is heavily based on two sources: The Arbiter from Halo Wars primarily, and The Crawler from Fable III secondarily. They represent two amazingly well-written villains who are not just evil, but twisted. I drew inspiration for the character from them quite heavily. Giratina's obsession with "undisciplined" people comes from the Halo Wars' Arbiter's own obsession with that quality, and Giratina's assistant's line about the light in Paula's eyes offending him is a reference to one of the Crawler's taunts in Shadelight. Gustavo himself, on the flip side, draws inspiration in part from the Arbiter from the main trilogy Halo games. His line "kill me or release me, parasite, but do not waste my time with talk" is a direct quote from Halo 2, which the Arbiter says to Gravemind.

5. I don’t know if this is obvious enough or not, but the back portion of the cave is supposed to be part of Turnback Cave in Sinnoh, and the sound of the stream they were hearing was from Sendoff Spring. Giratina is twisting the dimensions between the two places, as is a defining characteristic of Turnback Cave, and is also distorting the flow of time. That’s why when they come out later it is already late morning. David and Bianca’s adventure spanned one evening, one full day and then part of the next morning; because of the manipulation of time from all the various things, Cheren, Paula and Gustavo’s adventure takes an equal amount of time, with certain events lining up in the timeline like Paula hearing David’s message.

6. Gustavo’s evolution comes a little soon, I’ll admit, but it is only soon from Cheren’s perspective. Gustavo had been a Yamask for thousands of years. If anything, he has had plenty of time to build up the strength to evolve. I think it was fitting in the scenario, and without evolving, he wouldn’t have been able to calm Aerodactyl. Paula makes a note about this, but that’s also where the admittedly awkward name “Gustavo” comes from. I gave him that name so he could be Gus the Cofagrigus. Rest assured, we won’t see any more evolutions for at least a little while.

After plenty of waiting and suspense, here it is... Chapter 10 of Chronicles of Unova, "The Legend of Gustavo Riviera." Enjoy! We're in double digits now!

Chronicles of Unova

Chapter 10: The Legend of Gustavo Riviera
Part 1 of 3

Cheren walked through the foothills surrounding the Desert Resort, thinking to himself studiously as he plodded along. His newly caught Yamask had once been a citizen of the ancient civilization that had built Relic Castle thousands of years ago; communication with him could surely reveal answers to some of the greatest mysteries of the modern day, the least of which being what had happened to his civilization. Attempts at communicating telepathically via David’s Kirlia, however, had failed. The fact that they had failed simply made the prospect of communicating with his new Pokémon all the more tantalizing though; if someone had gone to the trouble of locking his mind shut to outside forces, then that must mean there were secrets in there worth guarding. The secrets his new Pokémon held filled Cheren’s thoughts as he walked along, straining his mind for a solution. Yamask was like a treasure chest, wanting only for a key. There must be a way to break the barriers and communicate with his new Pokémon, but how?

The group reached the construction site they had seen the day before, the vast Route 4 desert spreading out before them to the horizon. In the distant east, they could see Nimbasa City shining in the late-morning sun. After their nightmare in Relic Castle the previous night, the sight of civilization was a welcomed one, but Cheren still couldn’t banish the puzzle of his new Pokémon from his mind. Surely there must be a solution, but it simply wouldn’t come to him. Maybe resting in Nimbasa City for a while would help it though; he could sleep on it and perhaps the answer would come to him in a… Cheren had found his solution.

“So you two are going off to Nimbasa City I take it?” Cheren asked suddenly. A smile was creeping around the corners of his mouth as the logistics of the plan flooded into his mind. He didn’t know why it hadn’t occurred to him sooner, it was the perfect plan!

“Yeah…?” David asked in confusion. “Aren’t you coming too though?”

Cheren shook his head and continued. “Paula might not be able to get into that little guy’s head, but I bet I know someone who can. David, can I borrow Paula for a few days to go on a little personal trip?”

David was taken aback by the request, his confusion only growing stronger. Cheren held fast though and smiled confidently. “Why do you need Paula?” David asked, still confused.

“I need to go back to Eastern Unova for a little while, so I need her to Teleport me there. I’ll catch up to you guys in Nimbasa in a few days after I’m done. What do you say?” Cheren replied.

David looked down at the Pokéballs on his hip. He was obviously communicating with his Kirlia telepathically, asking her what she thought of his proposition. Cheren couldn’t hear any of it himself, but he had seen his friend do it enough times to know what was going on. David looked up after a moment and nodded, taking her Pokéball off the holster.

“Take good care of my girl, Cheren. Bring her back with a full tank of gas.” David said as Cheren took the ball from him. David had a lighthearted smirk on his face, so obviously she had agreed to Cheren’s proposal. Cheren smiled back and released his friend’s Pokémon from the ball. Kirlia landed gracefully in the soft sand and looked up at him expectantly. Cheren began to hear her voice in his head.

“Hello Mr. Cheren. My master tells me you require my services for some sort of personal trip?” she asked. Cheren was well acquainted with her method of communication, but the sensation of hearing someone else’s thoughts in his own mind was still a little foreign and unsettling to him. Cheren thought to himself as if he were just thinking, but tried to project the thoughts towards her.

“Yeah, that’s right, Paula. I need to go back to Striaton City for a few days and talk to that Fennel lady. I think she might be able to help me communicate with Yamask. Do you think you can Teleport us that far and back?” he replied.

“I hope I can, but I suppose we shall find out, won’t we? I just need to visualize my destination in my mind and concentrate, but since I have been to Striaton City before, that shouldn’t be a problem. Anything I bring with me must be in physical contact with my body however, so if you are ready, then please hold on.” she answered.

Cheren gently rested his hand on her shoulder and looked up at David. He nodded at his friend, smiling in thanks, and could feel Paula begin to concentrate. She shut her eyes and began to tremble slightly. She levitated off the ground a small amount with the strength of her psychic power and the space around her began to distort. Cheren saw the world vanish before him and felt weightless. The sensation was as if he was floating through a pool of water, but gravity had been turned off and he was simply set adrift. The feeling seemed to last for a long time, but in what was really just an instant, the world reappeared before him in a flash, materializing as the outskirts of Striaton City. The sandy desert was gone, replaced in an instant with the forests surrounding the city. He felt his feet return to solid ground and looked down at Paula.

“Here… we are… Mr. Cheren…” she started to say, but she was tired and panting. She knelt over and was breathing heavily from the amount of force she had had to exert to Teleport them the long distance, but she didn’t seem to have sustained any permanent harm. She continued, “Striaton City… dead ahead…”

“Wow! That was really great, Paula! Perfect work.” Cheren said to her excitedly. “You look like you could use a rest. It isn’t that far to the town, it looks like, and you look pretty light; you want me to carry you the rest of the way?” he asked unassumingly.

Cheren tried to take her hand but she shook him free. She levitated off the ground up to his eye level and looked at him sternly.

“Thank you, Mr. Cheren, I appreciate the offer, but I feel uncomfortable about anyone but my master holding me like that. No offense.” she said. Cheren apologized and the two of them set off for the town; Cheren walked and Paula levitated alongside him to recuperate. After a short trip, they reached the city center.

“So do you remember where her apartment is, Paula?” Cheren asked as they walked through the city center. “I never went there with you guys; I was at the Trainers’ School most of that day.”

“Yes, Mr. Cheren, I believe I remember. Right up ahead.” Paula replied, leading him through the town. The pair walked through the quaint city, passing by familiar sights and landmarks. They eventually reached a worn, aged, brownstone apartment complex in the heart of the city and stopped. A row of trees lined the street, all slowly changing into their autumn colors; the one in front of the building they had stopped at, however, had no leaves on it.

“We are here, Mr. Cheren.” Paula told him.

“How can you tell?” Cheren replied. “All of these apartment buildings look the same.”

“See that tree?” Paula replied, motioning towards the tree with its leaves stripped from it. Cheren nodded and she continued. “That tree is different than all the others because Ms. Bianca’s Pachirisu tested out her Hidden Power on it, freezing off all the leaves, after Ms. Fennel gave her the TM for it. Therefore, this must be Ms. Fennel’s building.”

Cheren looked up at the tree in mild surprise, pondering her logic. It was distinctly different than all the others, obviously, so she must be correct, but it was a very astute observation; Paula was very intelligent, even for a Psychic type. The pair walked into the building and up the first few flights of stairs.

As they walked down the second floor hallway, they saw a young woman entering one of the apartments. She wore a very short, pink sundress and had extraordinarily long, straight, purple hair. Cheren recognized her immediately.

“Hey Fennel, long time no see. Remember me?” Cheren asked as he walked up. The young woman turned in surprise to look at him, adjusting her glasses as she scanned her memory for the stranger’s identity.

“Oh my! ‘Cheren,’ right? Wow, hi! What are you doing back in Striaton so soon? Where’re your friends?” Fennel replied.

“David and Bianca should be getting to Nimbasa City right about now. I’ve come alone to ask for your help with something. May I come in?” Cheren said.

“Sure! I was just getting back from some errands. Make yourself at home.” she responded.

Cheren and Paula followed her into the apartment, looking around and examining it as she set her purse and other items down on the kitchen counter. The small apartment was sparsely furnished but very tidy, with a very minimal “laboratory” feel to it. There was a modest kitchen opposite the door, a small living room to the right, and a single bedroom down the hall between the two a short distance. The only thing that set it apart from a typical young woman’s apartment was a single large piece of machinery tucked away in the corner of the living room, standing out among the modern, feminine décor. The machine appeared to be some sort of massive computer system with various sliders and knobs to control the inputs, featuring only a small console window for an output that was built into the structure itself. A large bundle of wires ran out from the far side, lying in a rat’s nest on a cot that was tucked away next to the window beside it. Cheren and Paula sat down and looked at the machine quizzically.

“Would you guys care for something to drink?” Fennel asked them, but they politely declined.

“What’s that big machine in the corner there, Fennel?” Cheren asked as she prepared herself a cup of tea. “Is that something for your research in dreams?”

“Oh, that?” Fennel asked, turning to look. “Yes, it is. See those sensors on the cot?” she asked. Cheren nodded. “Those hook up to the sleeper as the dream is in progress, and with the aid of Musharna’s Dream Mist, you can view the dream remotely with full 3D camera controls from the console. It works as an alternative to actually going through the Dream Mist portal to interact with the dream directly, giving you the option to simply watch and observe from out here in the real world instead. It also monitors the dream and alerts the viewer if anything is going wrong, so that they can alert anyone who may be in the dream itself that there is a problem. It’s the system that tethers the whole process together, basically.” she continued. Her tea finished as she concluded her explanation; she took it out of the microwave and sat down with them, folding her legs and taking a polite sip as she sat.

“Wow, that’s a lot of infrastructure. Did you design it yourself?” Cheren asked, looking at the machine with amazement.

“No, not entirely. I have an assistant who co-designed it with me.” Fennel replied. “I built most of the hardware myself, but she helped me write the software that interprets the information it receives from Musharna’s Dream Mist. Her name is Amanita; she’s a student at the college Aurea and I went to.” she continued.

“So how is your research actually going? Are you making headway?” Cheren continued to ask.

“Yes, more or less. I’ve run into a little snag lately though…” Fennel started to say, putting a hand to her cheek and sighing. “You see… Amanita helped me build the machine this past summer, but school just started back up for her and she can’t be here as regularly anymore. I’ve been able to have the machine process my dreams, and I can verify that it works by reading the log files it generates when I wake up, but I have no one here to actually operate the machine while it is receiving dream data. Furthermore, I haven’t even attempted to send someone through the portal into an actual dream yet. I know it all works, but it is all just theoretical until Amanita gets back or I find another assistant…” she continued, trailing off. “It would essentially take three people to perform a full test of the system, Musharna herself not included; a sleeper, someone to operate the machine and monitor the dream, and someone to enter the Dream Mist portal and interact with the dream itself directly. Unfortunately, I am only able to perform the role of the sleeper as I have no one else here to help me, and the other two positions simply have to either work autonomously or not at all.” she concluded.

Cheren sat in reflection of everything she had said, looking at the machine with reverence. Being given a bit more technical and practical explanation of the process had made it much more interesting now than it had seemed the last time he was there; everything was going according to plan.

“But enough about me, what brings you back to Striaton?” Fennel asked as she took another sip from her tea. “What is it you need my help with?”

Cheren turned his gaze away from the machine and looked her in the eye, grinning just slightly.

“Well, actually, from the sound of things, I’m here to solve your testing problem. I have a Pokémon that I just recently captured, and I would like to enter his dreams.” he said, drawing Yamask’s Pokéball.

“Oh my! You do?!” Fennel said excitedly. The fragile teacup rattled on its plate over her excitement. “Please, please, tell me more!” she continued.

Cheren released Yamask from its Pokéball and the little ghost looked around the room curiously. It was markedly less timid and skittish than it had been in Relic Castle after being caught, but it still seemed to not be at ease. Cheren told her the story of their adventure in Relic Castle and explained his intentions as Fennel listened studiously, smiling radiantly to herself at her good fortune. When Cheren had finished, she began to speak.

“And so, I’d like to try and enter his dreams and see if maybe I can learn a little about his past life as a human that way, since Paula was unable to communicate with him telepathically. Yamask would be the ‘sleeper,’ you could operate the computer, and Paula and I could enter the dream. What do you say?” Cheren said, finishing his story.

“I say it sounds like the perfect time for a proper field test! I’m so excited you remembered my research and thought to come see me; this test of the system will be exactly what I’ve been needing to move forward.” Fennel replied. “We will run the test tonight.” she continued.

Cheren rose to shake her hand and waited for night to fall. He looked at Yamask with a grin, anticipating the knowledge that would soon be revealed to him. What had Yamask’s life as a human been like? What was his role within the ancient civilization’s society? What had his human name been? And perhaps most tantalizing of all, how was Relic Castle buried and the civilization destroyed? He could hardly wait to begin the experiment.

After a few hours, night began to fall on the quiet city. The sun set, the moon rose, and the streetlights came on outside Fennel’s building. Hoothoot, Kricketune, and other creatures of the night sang their sleepy melodies and basked in the cool, autumn night air, but inside Fennel’s apartment, there was work to be done. They had just finished preparing Yamask for bed and were getting ready to start the test.

“Okay Cheren, you know what to do, right?” Fennel asked him.

“Yep. Paula and I just step through the portal when it opens and explore the dream. If there’s a problem, you’ll alert us through the machine.” he replied. Fennel nodded and turned back to the console, tweaking a few last minute settings. Cheren walked over to his Pokémon and knelt down beside him.

“Alright Yamask, are you ready to do this?” he asked his Pokémon. It lay comfortably on the cot, tucked in snugly beneath the blankets, many sensors stuck to various parts of his body. The ghost looked up at his new trainer nervously, but nodded his head in affirmation. Cheren put a reassuring hand to Yamask’s head as he shut his eyes, preparing to drift off to sleep. Cheren stood back up and returned to Paula’s side.

“He’s beginning to drift off. The medicine I gave him should be helping to speed up the process. Should just be a few minutes now.” Fennel said, staring intently at the readout on the console window.

“How do you know he will dream about his past, Mr. Cheren?” Paula asked. She would also be journeying with him into Yamask’s dream and stood beside him, waiting to begin the experiment.

“I think he wants to let us know whatever happened in his past, Paula; I can sense it in his behavior and his mannerisms. There definitely is some kind of secret in that head of his, or else it wouldn’t have been so well guarded that you couldn’t communicate with him. He’s also scared and timid all the time, like he’s afraid of something; I think he wasn’t in that crypt because he wanted to be, I think he was forced to be there, and now that he’s left, he’s worried about the ramifications. Whoever locked him down there is probably the same person who sealed off his mind like that. I think Yamask wants us to find out whatever happened to him, so I think he’ll dream about his past to let us know.” Cheren replied. Paula was content with his answer and continued to think quietly to herself in preparation.

“Alright, he’s asleep. Are you ready?” Fennel asked. Cheren nodded and she released her Musharna.

“Musharna, some Dream Mist, if you please?” Fennel said. The large Pokémon closed its eyes and focused, beginning to hum gently to itself. It faced towards Yamask, trying to connect with his dream, and began to produce the murky mist. It poured from its large body, filling the room in a smoky, mysterious air. The mist began to pool together in a spinning vortex, seeming to solidify almost, as it formed the dream portal. After a few seconds, Musharna stopped and opened her eyes, floating back over to her trainer. The remaining smoke assimilated into the portal and hung in the air, spinning and swirling in a purple hue. Cheren and Paula looked at it curiously, and Fennel motioned for them to enter.

Cheren walked up and looked at it cautiously. He held out his arm and let the tips of his fingers enter the vortex. They didn’t come out the other side, having entered into Yamask’s dream. Paula walked up and took his other hand, looking up at him reassuringly. The pair took a deep breath, readied themselves mentally, and took the plunge. The world faded away from view and he slowly felt reality slip away. Cheren had entered Yamask’s dream, ready to uncover the secrets of his Pokémon’s past.

Cheren opened his eyes, letting the new reality slowly sink in. The sunlight was blinding, and it took him a minute to adjust his eyes to it. He slowly looked around at wherever it was he found himself, trying to get his bearings.

He was back in the valley of the Desert Resort, but at the same time, it wasn’t the Desert Resort; he recognized the terrain, the mountains, the northern coast and the sandy desert, but what had been a big empty valley in his time was now a sprawling ancient metropolis. Hundreds of buildings lined the valley, all made of a sturdy yellow stone. People hustled and bustled around the streets, dressed in ancient linens and carrying primitive tools and baskets. The people were all mostly dark skinned and seemed much more muscular and toned than the people of his time. The massive city was surrounded on all sides by a sturdy guard wall, with towers and gates lining it in strong defense. Hundreds of Sigilyph flew overhead, aiding the guards along the wall’s many watchtowers as they looked out for any sign of danger. A heavily fortified entrance lay at the southeastern side of the city where his friends had entered the valley from just a day before, and a massive dock network lay on the northern end at the coast. The city seemed to flow naturally towards a point in the southwest where a grand palace lay, rising up out of the smaller buildings around it in a beautiful splendor. Massive stone steps rose up into the air and led into the building, which itself towered over the rest of the city. Cheren felt something pulling him there, as if by the force of gravity itself. He slowly felt himself gravitate toward it instinctively and had to restrain himself as he tried to understand the logic and physics behind this new reality.

Cheren was flying high above the city, able to get a bird’s eye view of the ancient kingdom. In the dream, he was able to move freely in Euclidian space, unbound by the laws of gravity or the constraints of his earthly body. His body was semi-transparent and could move through objects freely, unrestrained by walls or doors. The tradeoff was that he was unable to interact with anything in the dream, and none of the people were able to see him, completely unaware of his presence. He turned and saw Paula behind him, subject to the same effects that seemed to be governing him; he could see the sun and the mountains behind her through her semi-transparent body. He began to try and speak to her.

“Paula, can you hear me? Can you speak?” Cheren asked. He wanted to establish their basic motor and auditory functions first, trying to understand how the dream’s logic was affecting them before attempting to move on in the world.

“Yes, I- Eek!” Paula said, startling herself and slapping her hands to her mouth. She had opened her mouth and actually spoken the words to him directly, as opposed to communicating telepathically. It was a new experience for the little Kirlia, and she was taken aback by the sound of her own voice in English. “I… I can speak!” she said excitedly.

“Okay, well that’s one thing that’s different.” Cheren continued. “How are your motor skills?”

Paula floated through the air gracefully, able to fly with ease and navigate her new environment effortlessly. She flipped in the air and giggled to herself, remarking “Oh my, Mr. Cheren, this is fun!

“Well, I guess we should start exploring and try to find Yamask. Let’s go check out that palace.” he said. “I feel a kind of attraction to it, like that’s where we’re supposed to go.” he continued. She mimicked the sentiment and nodded, following behind him towards the giant structure. They were able to pass through its thick stone walls and heavily fortified doors with ease, reaching the center of the palace in short time.

They eventually came to a room in the center of the palace, very large but also very bare and Spartan. A marked battlefield lay in the center of the room, lit only by a massive skylight in the ceiling, letting in the warm desert sun. An ornate throne was set back from the center of the field, but nothing else furnished the simple room, serving but one function: combat training. The imposing figure of a man sat upon the throne, looking down at a battle which was taking place on the field. The two opponents were a young boy and a middle aged man, with many elder onlookers standing around the battlefield and speaking amongst themselves in hushed tones about the technique of the expert battlers. The boy began to shout.

“Aerodactyl, use Stealth Rock!” he commanded. The giant monster screeched and launched the rocks at its opponent, digging them into the ground below it. The opposing Pokémon had been falling through the air when Cheren and Paula reached the room, and it landed on the sharp stones forcefully, taking massive damage. It struggled to rise, but had simply endured too much damage and was unable to continue. Aerodactyl screeched and flew around the room on its massive wings, celebrating their resounding victory.

The losing trainer recalled his Pokémon with a primitive Pokéball and turned towards the throne, bowing to the man seated upon it before stepping out humbly. The victorious boy ran out onto the field to meet his Pokémon and embraced it lovingly, being engulfed by its tremendous wingspan. He proudly began to speak, shouting to the room and anyone who would listen.

“My name is Gustavo Riviera! I am the son of the mighty king of our land! And together with my faithful partner, Aerodactyl, I shall become the greatest trainer the world has ever known!” the boy shouted jubilantly.

The boy was tall for his age, but appeared to be only around 13 or 14 years old. He had olive skin with a dark complexion, and had short, scruffy black hair sitting in a mop upon his head. He was very lanky and muscular, and seemed to have a shine to him like that of an ancient god. More than that though, he seemed to literally have an aura around him, as if the dream were trying to identify him as someone important. A bluish fire burned around the edges of his silhouette, highlighting his figure and pointing him out among the rest of the people in the dream. Cheren couldn’t help but feel a natural attraction towards him, as if he was meant to follow this young man.

“Paula, what do you make of that kid? Do you see that glow around him?” Cheren asked.

“I do, Mr. Cheren; perhaps he is your Yamask.” Paula replied. The pair moved in closer to follow the situation.

The king rose to embrace his son as he ran up the stairs to his father’s throne in excitement. The two were the spit and image of each other, both physically very similar and dressed in very ornate clothing for the time. The man released his son and put a massive hand on his shoulder, smiling proudly.

“My son, you do our kingdom proud with your prowess on the battlefield. Very few men could handle a Pokémon as powerful and feral as an Aerodactyl, but you, still in your adolescence, have honed your technique more finely than some of our greatest warriors. You shall someday rule our land and keep our people safe; I have no doubt you shall do so nobly.” he said, still gripping the boy’s shoulder and beaming. The boy looked up at his father, grinning a massive smile and seeming to drip with confidence and strength. It was a humbling scene to look on at the father and son. Cheren smiled at the pair, wondering what adventures would befall the boy as he grew older.

As these thoughts swam in his head and the scene seemed to reach a natural climax, a blur jumped in through the skylight from above. A wild and terrifying beast landed with a “thud!” in the center of the room, looking down at the ground with shadows in its eyes. When the dust settled, it slowly lifted its head and stared coldly at the boy.

“Mr. Cheren, what is that?!” Paula asked in surprised.

“Wow, it’s an Absol!” Cheren replied, looking in wonder at the rare Pokémon. Everyone in the room gasped as the realization of what the creature was dawned on them.

The Absol stood up straighter as it recovered from its dramatic entry. It walked up slowly and menacingly to the throne and came face to face with the young boy. It looked him squarely in the eyes as if to size him up and, satisfied with what he saw, bolted from the room in a flash, saying only a quiet “Sol…” before leaving. As the beast ran from the room as quickly as it had appeared, a hush fell upon the small crowd. A grim frown spread across the king’s face, still gripping his son’s shoulder tightly. The boy looked confused and scared, uncertain of what the omen had meant; the Absol had appeared suddenly and dramatically, only to leave as quickly as it had come after sizing him up. What could it have wanted?

The world suddenly burst into a smoky haze and disappeared from Cheren’s vision. All of reality twisted and morphed in a purplish smoke, reforming itself into something new. The boy, the battlefield, the palace, the kingdom, all of it had vanished in an instant, morphing into the hellish smoke that twisted before Cheren’s eyes. Cheren tried to focus and stay alert, but the spinning vortex was too much. He let the sensation wash over and overcome him, unable to focus or stay awake. The dark, hellish smoke swirled around him, and he blacked out.

Cheren again opened his eyes. He found himself still in the palace battle-room where he had been before, but now it was nighttime and the moon shone in brightly through the skylight as a replacement for the sun. He shook off the disorientation and looked around to see what else had changed. All of the people who had been in the room just a moment before were gone; he and Paula were alone in the giant room with nothing but the moonlight to illuminate it or keep them company. He began to speak up and ask Paula what had happened, but he was cut off by the giant doors to the room slamming open. The sudden noise startled him and he remained quiet as he watched the events unfold.

“Father, listen to me!” he heard a voice shout from down the hall. The king strode briskly into the room towards his throne, fists clenched and teeth grit. He wore a tired and angry look upon his face, trying to ignore his pursuer. He looked much older than he had before, with strands of gray hair now highlighting his face. He began to walk towards his throne, but a young man ran after him.

“Father, you must let me go!” the young man insisted. He looked very similar to the boy who had won the battle just a moment ago, but now much older and much more mature, probably somewhere in his early twenties. He was very tall and very muscular, with a chiseled jaw and defined features. He had a deep, commanding voice, no longer the child who they had seen a moment before. He caught up to his father and grasped his shoulder, but the king shook him off and spun around in rage to face him, his face bright red.

I must do no such thing, Gustavo!!!” he shouted in rage. “I am your father and I am the king of this land; you shall do as you are told!” he continued.

The boy clenched his fists and puffed out his chest. “But father, there is no one else who can do battle with The Darkness. You yourself have said many times that I am our kingdom’s greatest warrior. Aerodactyl and I can defeat it if you give us a chance. If you don’t, our remaining forces will be obliterated and our kingdom will fall! Please!” he shouted back.

OUR?!” the king bellowed. He was positively livid now, looking nearly ready to deck the young man. “What is all this ‘our’ you speak of? So long as blood courses through my heart and my mind is still sharp, I am the king of this land, and MY declarations and rulings are law! There is no ‘our’ here. You and your Pokémon are powerful warriors, but this land needs an heir, not a champion. You shall do as you are told and you will NOT do battle with The Darkness. Do I make myself perfectly clear?!” he commanded.

The young man looked down and away, blinking away the tears from his eyes. His father stood towering over him, shouting lividly in his face. The boy unclenched and clenched his fists several times, trying to overcome his rage. He began to tremble, shaking with pain and confusion. He clenched his fists and threw a mighty punch at his father’s stomach suddenly, knocking him to the ground in pain. His father clutched at his abdomen, rolling on the ground in agony and shock.

“No, father, I shall be silent and still no longer! The Darkness threatens to overcome this kingdom tonight, and I shall not sit by and let my people perish. Aerodactyl and I shall either defeat this plague tonight, or we shall perish along with the rest of our citizens and soldiers. Too many brave men and innocent women have died while we sat in here and played politics; this ends now, either by my hand, or its. Gustavo Riviera is no coward, and I shall end this monster tonight or die trying.” he shouted, his voice cracking under pressure. He turned and drew Aerodactyl’s Pokéball defiantly, running from the room and wiping the tears from his eyes. His father called after him in pain, but he did not stop.

“Gustavo!” he shouted. “Gustavo! Come back here!” he commanded, but it was no use; he was gone. “NO!!! Tonight I lose my kingdom and my son!” the king screamed in agony. He began to weep and the world again burst into the dark, hazy smoke. Cheren let it wash over him this time, again feeling his mind slip away into the abyss.

[Continued Below]

Last edited:

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
This chapter contains scenes of violence of a more graphic nature than is typically found in this story. The PG-15 rating is still applicable, but readers are cautioned to not read this chapter if torture or death are subjects of too graphic a nature for them to handle. Underage or offended readers are suggested to partake in more age appropriate content.

Chronicles of Unova

Part 2 of 3

Cheren awoke for a third time, looking around to see where the dream had transported him now. He was back outside the palace, hovering high above the city like when he had first entered the dream. It was still nighttime, but the ancient kingdom did not suffer from want of light. Everywhere he looked, fires burned and illuminated the destroyed city, turning it into a raging inferno. Destruction and chaos were everywhere; nothing about the kingdom still stood intact. The great city wall had crumbled and cracked, completely gone in many places. The Sigilyph that had once flown over the city in the hundreds could now only count their numbers in single digits, having failed to protect their land from the attack. The few people who remained alive in the destroyed city cowered in their burning homes for fear of venturing out into the streets. The sickening stench of death and rotting corpses filled the air from the mass graves that lay on every street corner. Everything about the kingdom was simply obliterated, never to be rebuilt again. Cheren and Paula gasped as the full extent of the destruction settled in, shooting each other a horrified look. They turned back to the cesspool of chaos and saw two winged beasts flying high above it, doing battle with one another; one of the two creatures was Gustavo, riding proudly upon his Aerodactyl, but the other was something altogether different and… other-worldly.

His opponent in the skies resembled some sort of terrible, mutated snake, flying menacingly upon six deformed, shadowy wings which sprouted from its back. The beast had gold colored armor plating running along its black and grey body, forming a point over its head. Its dark red eyes pierced the night, and its mouth seemed to be locked shut into a confident, defiant smirk. Spikes ran along the back end of its tail, a continuation of its armor plating, and red spirals ran along its lower belly. The creature was fully three times larger than Aerodactyl, and was easily more than ten times its weight; Gustavo and Aerodactyl were fighting valiantly, if not savagely, but the monstrosity was clearly just toying with them. The two were locked in an impressive aerial battle, high above the burning city.

“Aerodactyl, use Fly!” Gustavo shouted from the back of his partner. Aerodactyl swarmed and flew around the monster’s twisting and constricting shadowy form, but it seemed to take the hits in stride, never breaking its devilish smirk. Aerodactyl slashed at it with its wings as it made each pass, but it seemed to be doing little damage.

“Mr. Cheren, what is that creature?” Paula asked, a small amount of fear creeping into her voice. “Is that ‘The Darkness’ they referred to?” Cheren said nothing however. She turned to him after a few seconds of silence, but saw that his jaw was agape and he was stock still, staring at the raging battle.

“That…” he started to say. “That… that…” he stammered. “That’s Giratina!” he finally managed to say in shock. “That’s one of the most powerful Legendary Pokémon in the world!”

That is Giratina?!” Paula replied as the realization hit her too. “How can that be? I thought Giratina was banished to the Distortion World eons ago!” she continued.

“He was. These must be the events that caused that to happen. Paula, do you realize what we’re seeing here?! We’re watching history unfold!” Cheren shouted. The two gazed silently on at the raging battle, staring in awe at the landmark events they were seeing in action.

Aerodactyl was coming around for another pass; Giratina slithered through the air to meet it, the two rushing at each other head first. They were on a collision course, ready to strike. Gustavo and Aerodactyl showed no fear however, ready to meet their foe, literally, “head on.” Just before the two of them struck, Giratina opened its eyes wide and vanished; the giant, menacing beast had literally disappeared into thin air. Aerodactyl reared back in surprised, trying to slow itself from its charge. Gustavo and Aerodactyl hung in the air, looking around in terror for their foe. A dark, sinister portal opened behind them and Giratina flew out of it like a bullet, slamming into its foes as they were caught off guard: Shadow Force.

The pair flew to the ground at terrific speed. Aerodactyl was temporarily knocked unconscious and was unable to slow their fall. The two of them crashed into the ground with a terrible “smash!” A giant dust cloud billowed up from where they had landed as if a bomb had struck; when the dust settled, Giratina drew in closer to inspect the damage.

The two of them lay on the ground in a pile of rubble, bleeding and severely wounded. Aerodactyl was simply a crumpled mess, unfit to move, let alone battle. Gustavo had more cuts, bruises and lacerations on his body than Cheren had ever seen on a person; he was grimacing in pain, clutching his arm and squinting away the pain. Giratina drew in close and hung in the air above them, still smiling contently to himself.

“Giratina!” Gustavo shouted in pain. “You… bastard…” he stammered, but could not finish his thought. He struggled to raise his neck enough to face his foe, trying valiantly to push through the pain. A booming voice rang throughout the city, speaking in a deep, echoing pitch; its mocking laughter filled the air.

“Hahaha, foolish mortal. You dared to try and defy me, and expected a different outcome than this? You shall die like the rest of your pathetic, undisciplined species; no human shall ever stand in my way.” Giratina bellowed. His smirk did not abate. “Your weak-minded Pokémon ally shall meet the same fate as you. Pokémon who align themselves with humans prove they are no better than the scum they call ‘friends,’ and so deserve the same punishment.” he continued.

Giratina closed his eyes and concentrated. He began to glow with a dark energy, rising slightly higher into the air. A flash shot out from a jagged, golden orb mounted on the crest of his armor, hitting Aerodactyl squarely. The giant bird shrieked in pain and agony, crying out for the pain to stop. Gustavo looked on helplessly as his Pokémon died, unable to stop or ease it. Aerodactyl began to slowly disappear, and in just a few short seconds, his body had completely vanished from sight.

“YOU MONSTER!!!” Gustavo shouted through the tears. “YOU MURDERER! By the grace of Arceus, you shall not survive this night!!!” he continued, shrieking at the top of his lungs. The force he had exerted was too great and he doubled over on himself from the pain of his injuries. His lifelong partner was gone, and he could no longer feel the strength to go on. “Someday I will have my revenge, Giratina; mark my words…” he muttered under his breath.

Giratina floated in the air above him, looking on at the broken and defeated shell that lay before him. Giratina could easily have killed him too, but did not for some reason. He looked on at Gustavo, pondering to himself.

“You show grit, human…” Giratina said quietly after a moment of thought. “…I appreciate that.” he continued.

“Kill me or release me, parasite, but do not waste my time with talk. You killed my only friend…” Gustavo replied, still struggling to resist the pain.

“He is not dead, human. Simply… transported.” Giratina replied.

Do not toy with me, you fiend.” Gustavo replied sharply, but Giratina cut him off.

“Foolish human, you will not even hear the truth when it is favorable. Your… ‘friend,’ is not dead. He is gone, transported to another place and time, but not… dead. I will make you an offer, and if you fulfill our bargain, you shall see him again.” he replied. Gustavo lay in silence, waiting to hear what his foe had to say.

“My control over this dominion is complete.” Giratina said proudly as he inspected the crumbling city. “Soon, this whole world shall bow to my will. But I shall need assistants; minions to do my bidding. You have shown one trait tonight which I shall need more abundantly in the new world order than anything else: loyalty. Become one of my dark assassins, and you shall soon see your partner again.” Giratina continued stoically.

Cheren and Paula looked on as these events transpired. They were shocked, moved, disgusted, inspired and revolted all at the same time. Gustavo was a truly noble soul, but Giratina was even more evil than they had always been led to believe all their lives. Cheren spoke up as Gustavo pondered Giratina’s offer.

“You don’t think he’s really going to go through with it, do you, Paula?” he asked.

“I do not know, Mr. Cheren.” she replied. “I know one thing is certain now however… there is true evil in the world.” she continued. “I never knew a fellow Pokémon could demonstrate such spite and hatred. They say that Pokémon are always pure and good, and that humans are the ones encroaching on our habitats and waging wars that get our kind killed; but seeing this… my evolutionary line has nothing to do with Giratina, but I still feel ashamed for my species…” The pair continued to look on as Gustavo made his decision; the events were gripping to say the least.

“Well, human? What do you say?” Giratina asked ominously. Gustavo struggled to rise and face his attacker, drawing a pained breath to respond with.

“I have considered your offer, Giratina, and it is tempting. Aerodactyl was my greatest friend and ally in this world, and I do not know how I could live without him, but…” he began to say. He took a pause, sighing before continuing. “…you have destroyed my kingdom, slaughtered my people, and forced a divide between my beloved father and I. You are a fundamentally evil creature, and I will never serve you.” he replied calmly. Gustavo closed his eyes and lay back as he finished his final living act, waiting now only for death to yield its sweet release.

Giratina closed his eyes. A low rumble began to shake the destroyed city, coming from all sides at once. It grew and grew, shaking the very ground below them and mountains surrounding them. It reached a fevered pitched, breaking the night air deafeningly. Giratina screamed at Gustavo’s defiance.

RaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH! FOOLISH HUMAN, YOU HAVE NO CHOICE!” Giratina bellowed. “If you will not join me willingly and be my dark agent, then you shall join me by force and be my dark slave!” he continued.

The dark energy again surrounded Giratina’s body, glowing brighter than it had before. The beam shot forth from the orb atop Giratina’s head and hit Gustavo squarely. Giratina shook with rage as he struck his enemy, savoring the pain it brought. Gustavo screamed and writhed in agony, slowly beginning to morph and change. His body shrunk and his skin grew a deathly black; his legs receded into his body and his arms shortened; his screaming mouth slowly sealed shut and his face turned a shimmering gold. Slowly, the transformation completed itself and he lay in defeat in his new form: Giratina had transformed him from a living human into an undead Yamask – a deathly ghost just like himself.

The ground beneath Gustavo began to rumble and shake. The rubble he still lay in from the crash twisted below him, sinking into the sand. A massive sinkhole formed, plunging him into the depths below. The ground resealed above him, trapping him beneath the sand.

“If you will not be one of my Shadow Triad, then you shall be my Minotaur. All who show defiance before the might of Giratina shall know my wrath!” Giratina bellowed. He spread his six massive wings and took flight, heading over the mountains to the east and vanishing over them. Cheren and Paula looked on at the scene of complete destruction and chaos, sickened over what they had just witnessed. A crack like a gunshot rang throughout the air as the supports holding up the grand palace to the south gave way. The brilliant symbol of power for the once-great kingdom crumbled, falling to the ground in ruin. With that final act, the destruction of the city was complete and the world again vanished into the dark smoke. Cheren felt his mind slip. He let himself go as the dream again skipped ahead, wondering what could possibly top what they had just seen. He closed his eyes and blacked out.

“Giratina, my child… you have failed me.” a calm, soothing voice said.

Cheren opened his eyes and looked around to see where he was now. This was the third time warp the dream had made, transporting them to a fourth place and time. The nighttime stars and moon were still out, but a blindingly brilliant bundle of light more powerful than even the daytime sun shone down from the heavens, illuminating the terrain. Cheren had to shield his eyes from its power in order to see. They were somewhere out in the desert, but no longer in the valley of the Desert Resort. Before him, Giratina hovered in the air, looking up at the ball of light in the sky. No other people or structures were around them; the desert spanned on for miles in every direction.

“You no longer scare me, Arceus! This world belongs to me! It is my birthright!” Giratina bellowed back.

“No, my child, it does not belong to you. Your brother Dialga controls the ebb and flow of time in this dimension, and your sister Palkia controls the grandeur of its space. The two of them are the masters of this dimension, and operate it as a team. You have once again proven to me that you are not yet mature enough to aid them in this task.” the voice from the light replied. “You shall be sent back to your dominion and you shall not return from it.” it continued.

“No, Arceus! I will not let you!” Giratina screamed. “My siblings are weak and undisciplined, just like their father and just like the pathetic humans that roam this planet. I no longer fear you, I have power!” he continued.

Giratina roared and launched himself towards the light. He flew like a bullet on his six dark wings, determination and rage burning in his eyes. He flew up high, but faltered as Arceus prepared his response. Giant meteors began to fall from the sky in droves, pummeling Giratina and launching huge waves of sand into the air as they struck the ground. Giratina crashed to the ground with a “smash!” A crater had formed from the impact of his fall. He struggled to look up at his attacker through the pain.

“I have passed my Judgment, Giratina. You may try and defy me, but you will not succeed.” Arceus said, still sounding as calm and soothing as ever.

“I… have power!” Giratina struggled to say, but he had taken a severe beating. “You… you can’t still…” he wheezed, but he could not finish his thought.

A piercing roar broke the night. The sound waves shook the air so violently that they were actually visible. The shot pummeled Giratina farther into the crater as he writhed in pain. The sharp form of Dialga descended from the light in the sky, blasting his terrible shout: Roar of Time. The demi-god landed gently in the sand and walked ominously towards his brother.

“You seek to destroy all those who you view as ‘weak’ and ‘undisciplined,’ but it is you who is undisciplined, my child.” Arceus shouted authoritatively.

The space behind Giratina rippled and distorted as a massive tear formed in the air. The claws that had ripped the tear struck Giratina as he cried out in pain again. The imposing sight of Palkia stepped from the portal as it resealed, her claws still glowing with a bright pink energy: Spacial Rend. The goddess of space shot her younger brother a disgusted look and joined her elder brother at the top of the crater.

“You thought you could escape my sight by journeying to this faraway land, far from the shores of Sinnoh and the peak of Mt. Coronet. But you forget that I created everything not only on this planet, not only in this dimension, but in every dimension and the entirety of the universe.” Arceus continued to bellow.

The bundle of light pulsated several times. It flashed brilliantly then dimmed as the majestic form of Arceus himself descended from it. He flew on his golden hooves and landed delicately in the sand to join his children. He strode calmly to where Giratina lay, flanked on either side by his eldest son and daughter.

“I want for you to bear the same responsibilities as Dialga and Palkia, Giratina, I truly do. But you have proven yourself to be too violent to be around my other creations. For your crimes against both humans and Pokémon, and for your outright violent and destructive nature, you will be banished to the Distortion World, never to return. Dialga, Palkia, I am entrusting you two with making sure he cannot return; unless you both are brought together and at the time do so will it, he will be unable to cross the dimensional lines. Only with your combined powers may this decree be broken.” Arceus said sternly, but with a touch of sadness in his voice. His children flanking him nodded in affirmation of their father’s order.

“Arceus, you can’t do this! This world should be mine!” Giratina bellowed, but the contempt and authority that had dripped from his voice a moment before was now gone, replaced by panic and fear.

“I am sorry, my child. It is time.” Arceus said.

Arceus shut his eyes and focused. The jagged, golden orb that rested in Giratina’s crest began to shake, shattering a moment later. Giratina began to morph as the crystal fell in shards around him. The spikes along his tail grew into centipede-like legs and his six wings melded into two. A dark, shadowy portal to the Distortion World opened beneath him, slowly sucking him in. He screamed in defiance as he returned to his dominion, but there was nothing he could do to stop it. He slowly descended into his abyss and the portal closed over him. Giratina was gone forever.

“It is done…” Arceus said with a defeated tone in his voice. He hung his head and sighed, his other children doing the same in a show of respect. The three titans parted ways, returning to the peak of Mt. Coronet in Sinnoh, and the desert was again calm and still.

Cheren and Paula floated in silence in the air, trying to process what they had just seen. The silence was shortly broken by a quiet weeping though, coming from somewhere below them. They looked down and saw a small slab of stone sticking out of the sand. A dirty porthole was carved into it, looking up at the night sky. Gustavo was underneath it, looking out at the events that had unfolded. He was gently crying, looking at the mask he held gingerly in his hands. He was all alone in the cold desert, forgotten by the whole rest of the world.

His civilization was destroyed. All the citizens he and his father had ruled over were dead. His faithful Aerodactyl was gone, lost to the eons of time in some sort of limbo. The only creature that even knew he existed had just been banished to the Distortion World. He was trapped in the undead form of a Yamask, powerless to do anything to change his situation. The cold desert winds blew some sand across his exposed tomb and covered it, blocking his only window to the outside world. He was trapped in this existence with no way to change or end it, for all of eternity.

I have not forgotten about you, my slave.” the voice of Giratina whispered quietly from the ether. “We will rebuild.” he continued.

Gustavo continued to weep softly to himself as the dream faded away for the final time. The dark, swirling smoke again destroyed everything around them, but this time did not disorient Cheren. A bright portal instead opened and beckoned for them to enter it. The dream had run its course and it was time for them to return to the real world. Cheren and Paula looked at each other and slowly stepped though, hanging their arms in sorrow and defeat at the story they had just experienced. Cheren had gotten his answers about Yamask’s past, but he now wished he hadn’t…

[Continued Below]

Last edited:

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.

Chronicles of Unova

Part 3 of 3

Fennel’s apartment was shrouded in darkness. The only light illuminating the room was the light from the console window of the large machine. It reflected off her glasses as she stared intently at its content. For the first time in hours, she moved back in her chair and rested. She lay back and took off her glasses, massaging the bridge of her nose. Her bloodshot eyes stung from staring at the tiny display for so long, but the experiment had been largely successful, so she was content. She rose from her seat as Cheren and Paula slowly stepped through the portal again, removing her heavy lab coat and throwing it haphazardly over the cot. She stretched as she greeted the pair.

“Welcome back, you two. Looks like your hunch about Yamask, or should I say ‘Gustavo,’ was more than correct, Cheren.” she said with a strained, tired voice.

“Yeah, I guess so…” Cheren replied, but he sounded sad and defeated. His poor Pokémon had suffered so much and for an incalculable length of time; it was depressing to try and comprehend just what he had endured. He looked out the windows and noticed it was still dark out.

“What time is it, Fennel?” he asked.

“Aaaaahh… around 10:30 or so…” Fennel said with a loud yawn.

“What? 10:30? It was like… 9:00 when we started.” Cheren said with surprise.

“9 o’clock on Friday, Cheren; it’s 10:30 on Saturday right now.” Fennel corrected him, still mumbling sleepily. “You two were in there for over 24 hours.” She continued.

What?! It’s Saturday?!” Cheren exclaimed in shock. “Did it really take that long? It only felt like an hour” he continued.

“Typically, time in dreams moves faster than in the real world, which is why you can have dreams about entire days or weeks in an 8-hour night’s sleep, but something about the Dream Mist seems to reverse that effect. I don’t really feel like explaining the science behind it to you right now though. I’m too tired… I’m going to bed…” Fennel replied. She began to shuffle off down the hall to her room, wiping her eyes as she went.

“Wait, so you were awake manning the computer for over 24 hours straight?!” Cheren asked in surprise, following after her.

“Yep…” Fennel replied.

Jesus! Aren’t you tired?” he continued.

Yep…” she said again, more pronounced this time.

“Well do you… do you need any information from us?” he asked

“Nope…” she said as she reached her room. She stepped behind an ornate folding dressing screen and removed her small dress, throwing it over top of it lazily. She stretched her bare arm towards the nightstand to reach for a night gown and began to expound on her statements.

“The computer recorded all the relevant data I need, and I was taking notes of my own as I observed your interactions with the dream. I learned a lot actually, and I now know what I need to begin working on. For instance, I need to find a way to toggle the option to interact with physical objects in the dream; being able to bring things from the dream back into the real world would be impossible if you couldn’t touch any of the objects in the world. You all are free to use whatever you want in the apartment, and you can leave whenever you want. Just don’t wake me up; I’m going to bed…” she explained. Cheren heard the sound of a zipper and she stepped out into view, dressed in her silk gown. She tiredly slid into the clean, well-kept bed and pulled the covers over her head, turning on her side away from him.

“Aaaaahh… good night…” she yawned. A few seconds later, a loud snore came from beneath the covers and Cheren sighed, shutting the door and stepping out quietly.

“Mr. Cheren, Gustavo is awakening.” he heard Paula say from the other room. He walked back down the hall and rushed to his Yamask’s side. The little ghost’s eyes fluttered open and he looked up at Cheren with sadness, knowing he now knew his terrible history.

“Gustavo… I’m so sorry…” Cheren whispered quietly, putting a hand on his Pokémon’s shoulder. Gustavo sat up and pulled off the covers. He gingerly took his mask off of his lower body and looked at it, tears welling up in his eyes. It had just looked like a generic golden mask to Cheren before the dream, but now he distinctly recognized it as the face of the young man who had defied Giratina so many eons ago. Cheren embraced Gustavo as he began to weep softly. Cheren sympathized with his pain and tried to console him. The pair sat on the cot in each other’s arms, trying to come to terms with the meaning of the end of his endless sentence. It was a sad and touching sight.

The pair separated after a moment and Gustavo composed himself. Cheren blinked away the tears that were beginning to well up in his own eyes and looked at Paula fiercely. He spoke with determination and grit.

“Paula, I know what we have to do. We’re going back to the Desert Resort and we’re going to find that Aerodactyl. I won’t rest until Gustavo gets his end of the bargain; it’s the least we can do.” he said authoritatively.

Paula nodded and smiled, preparing the immense amount of energy she would need to Teleport them the long distance. Cheren returned Gustavo to his Pokéball and rested a hand on Paula’s shoulder. Paula looked up at him and smiled, taking his hand in her own. Cheren grinned at the small gesture, feeling a closer connection to the young Kirlia after their adventure in the dream than he had before. Paula closed her eyes and began to concentrate.

The space around them began to distort. The light from their impending Teleport began to resonate from Paula’s body. As Paula’s concentration reached its peak and she prepared to make the jump, she heard a sound coming from somewhere in the ether. It was hazy and disorienting, almost sounding unearthly. It sounded like speech, but was so mangled and distorted that it almost just sounded like noise; the voice was familiar enough to her though that she was still able to make out what it had said.

“Paula, I don’t know if you can hear me somehow, but… if you can… I did it…” she heard her trainer say.

The jump had occurred and she was lost in the ether, neither here nor there. She was both infinitely close and infinitely far from him all at once, but the distance in her mind seemed insurmountable. Hearing the simple line brought a sheepish smile to her face. She surmised what he was talking about and grinned at his success.

“Good for you, master…” she thought quietly and proudly to herself. The world around her stabilized itself and she felt the ground settle beneath her feet.

The Desert Resort was quiet and still. The piercing moonlight broke the darkness and illuminated the terrain, but the light diffused too much to light any of it very brightly. The excavation crews had gone home for the night and the exposed portions of the underground castle were still. The sound of the water gently lapping at the northern shore softly echoed through the valley. At the foot of the mountains flanking the large clearing, a bright light burst into existence as Paula and Cheren’s forms landed in the sand below.

“Here we are, Mr. Cheren.” Paula said softly. She was tired, but not as exhausted as after the first jump; she was getting better at making the long warps. She stood up and straightened her skirt, sighing audibly. Cheren nodded in thanks and silently started heading off into the cliffs. Paula floated along behind him inquisitively.

“Where are we going to begin our search, Mr. Cheren?” Paula asked, struggling to keep up with him.

“We’re going back into Relic Castle the only way I know how to: through the cave.” Cheren replied with determination in his voice. Paula shuttered as she remembered her trainer’s almost-deadly fall through the quicksand, but followed behind him devotedly. The pair trekked through the foothills and eventually reached the ominous cave.

The wind howled into its depths, echoing like a deep, bellowing beast. The cave wasn’t illuminated at all, the moonlight unable to pierce into the abyss. Paula showed a faint sign of fear, but Cheren continued in bravely. Paula followed him into the darkness, hoping he had some sort of plan.

Cheren drew Gustavo’s Pokéball and released him from it. Cheren rested a hand on his shoulder and look at him calmly.

“Gustavo, can you use Will-o-Wisp to try and light the path?” he asked. His Pokémon nodded timidly and the small balls of ghostly fire burst around him. The shadowy blue flames didn’t provide very much light, but it was enough to see by. The group ventured farther into the cave, eventually reaching the quicksand pit.

“Mind the bump…” Cheren said, pointing at the ground in the antechamber. Paula levitated and hovered over it, Gustavo following suit. Cheren stayed back at the edge of the pit, looking on at the giant stone wall opposite him. He pondered the mysterious inscriptions lining it and wondered.

“Look at how this area is shaped, Paula. It seems to be an antechamber based on the design and layout of it, but it just stops; there’s no main room it appears to connect to. Those inscriptions on the back wall resemble the markings that were on the walls in Relic Castle though. Do you suppose it’s just a façade?” Cheren asked.

“It is possible, Mr. Cheren. I agree with your assessment however, the design of this section of the cave is peculiar.” Paula replied.

“Gustavo, you lived in Relic Castle for millennia, and your people are the ones who built this place. Can you try interacting with it? Maybe you can figure it out.” Cheren said.

The skittish Yamask nodded and faced the back wall. Levitating well above the quicksand trap below, he hovered over and inspected it. The inscriptions were a mystery to Cheren and Paula, but they appeared to mean something to Gustavo. They formed a rough spiral, singling out a point in the middle of the wall that was bulging out just slightly; he gently laid a hand on the center point and waited. A dark, shadowy energy like that which had surrounded Giratina in the dream began to flow from his arm, spreading over the markings in the wall. They flowed through the carvings slowly like water through a trench, highlighting the paths that were carved in the stone. The energy eventually reached the edge of spiral and formed a circle. A loud hissing sound filled the air as steam began to slowly escape from behind it; that section of the wall was actually a large, circular slab of stone, sealed into place to block a hole in the wall. Gustavo moved back gingerly as the giant slab fell forward onto the ground. It landed in the pit of quicksand, forming a safe bridge across to the hole. A dank, eerie passageway stretched on beyond the wall, leading farther into the cave. Gustavo looked back at his trainer, as if to say “Well, there it is, then.” Cheren nodded and carefully walked over the impromptu bridge, stepping through into the catacombs. The group entered the hidden passageway and continued on.

The catacombs were filled with a dark, eerie mist. It was thick enough to obscure the path and seemed to disorient one’s vision if you looked at it directly for long enough. The sound of running water rang throughout the cave as if a stream were right up ahead, but no matter how far they went, they never seemed to reach it. Time seemed to drag on, and despite walking at a steady pace, they never seemed to advance any farther into the cave. Something was clearly manipulating the flow of space and time in this mysterious place, twisting the dimensions, but the manipulation seemed more whimsical than malicious, as if they were just being toyed with for fun. After journeying on for what seemed like an eternity, they eventually saw the smoke start to disappear and the passageway reach a head. They ran towards it and found themselves in another crypt like the one that had been in Relic Castle. They carefully approached the alter in the back of the room, looking around cautiously for any traps or danger.

Whereas the one in Relic Castle had been long and ornate, with many treasures lining the floors and the shrine, this one was much more simple, with only one object sitting upon the ornamental table. The floor was set with cobblestone tiles like Relic Castle had been, but the walls and ceiling were the unchanged and unfinished stone of the cave around them; many sharp stalactites hung from the ceiling over the entrance of the room menacingly. The three adventurers wandered in and approached the shrine along the back wall to inspect the object sitting on it. The object was a roughly carved wooden ball, just the right size to fit in one’s palm. The top half of the ball was a mossy green color, but the bottom was white; it resembled a Pokéball, except very crude and rudimentary. Cheren picked it up and inspected it, turning it over in his hand.

“Do you know what that is, Mr. Cheren?” Paula asked.

“Yeah, I think so. It looks like an Apricorn Ball. It’s a primitive ancestor to the modern Pokéball, carved out of a type of fruit called an Apricorn. Craftsmen used to hollow them out to be used to store Pokémon in, but I’ve never heard of them being used outside of the Johto region. This could represent proof that the technology actually spread in ancient times.” Cheren mused as he looked at the little ball in his palm. “This one is green, so it was made from a Green Apricorn and is a ‘Friend Ball,’ as they’re called. I’ve read that any Pokémon caught in one of these develops a stronger bond with their trainer.” he continued.

Cheren set the ball back down on the shrine and turned to look at Gustavo, beginning to speak. “Well Gustavo, should we see what’s inside? We’ve come all this way for this thing, so something must be inside of it.” The Yamask had a nervous look on his face and hung frozen in the air, staring at the ball. He slowly turned towards Cheren and nodded. He and Paula stepped back a few feet as Cheren stepped forward to open it. He set his index finger against the mechanism and gently pushed it in. The latch clicked and the ball slowly creaked open after millennia of being shut. Cheren stepped back to join the Pokémon as the energy inside the ball drifted out. A small white wisp of light drifted out and hung in the air for a moment. It suddenly and dramatically burst into the form of a massive Pokémon. The giant beast spread its enormous wings and screeched terrifyingly, finally free of the prison it had been in for so long; they had found Gustavo’s Aerodactyl, but there was something distinctly wrong.

Aerodactyl lowered its head and stared coldly at the group. Its pupils were nothing more than tiny slits, filled with rage and insanity. The feral dinosaur shrieked again and began to thrash about the tiny room, shaking the walls and smashing everything there was to break. It was on an irreconcilable outrage and couldn’t be calmed. It thrashed and flailed about the room, shrieking at the top of its lungs and hitting anything it could find to hit. Cheren had to take action and calm it.

Cheren began to call for Paula to use an attack on it, but seeing his old partner in such distress, Gustavo rushed forward to try and console it. He flew towards it, trying to hold it down, but his tiny body was too frail. Aerodactyl took a mighty swing at him and launched him across the room; he landed in a slump on the ground, dazed and in pain. He shook off the disorientation and rushed back, but he didn’t know how to calm his rampaging friend.

“Gustavo, use Shadow Ball!” Cheren shouted commandingly. He knew he had to find a way to calm the beast before it caused a cave-in and killed them all. The Yamask charged up the energy to launch the dark blast, but he couldn’t bring himself to fire. It had been millennia since he had last seen his old friend, and he couldn’t bring himself to hurt it. He shut his eyes and trembled, trying to decide what to do. He turned and launched the blast at the wall behind them, rushing up to try and hold his Pokémon down again. He grabbed onto Aerodactyl’s neck, desperately trying to reason with it and try to make it remember, but it was in vain. Aerodactyl bucked Gustavo off of him again, flinging him across the room. Aerodactyl was going insane, unaware of where he was or what was even going on.

Gustavo rushed forward again, unwilling to give up on his friend. He tried again to calm the beast, but it was no use, he was just too small. Cheren caught him this time as he was shot across the room and held him down to keep him from hurting himself anymore.

“Gustavo, you’ve got to stop! You’re going to get yourself killed!” Cheren shouted. Gustavo wouldn’t hear it though and tried desperately to wriggle free. He couldn’t break Cheren’s grip, so he shrieked his deafening scream in an attempt to break Cheren’s concentration.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

The Astonish attack brought Cheren to his knees. He grasped his ears in pain, releasing Gustavo from his grip. The startling shout had temporarily stopped Aerodactyl too, giving him just enough of a chance to grab on again. Aerodactyl thrashed at the little Pokémon, throwing him across the room. Gustavo slammed into the wall for a final time, falling to the ground in a slump. He was badly beaten and in terrible pain. He grimaced as he rose, unwilling to give up.

“Gustavo, stop!” Cheren shouted. Gustavo floated in the air, watching his old friend kill himself in confusion. The Aerodactyl seemed to not realize where it was or what was happening; he was in such a state of rage and confusion that he simply lashed out at everything around him. The cave shook from the force of his continual strikes as if it were about to cave in; Aerodactyl’s wings were getting bruised and bloodied, but he seemed to not even notice, the pain fueling his rampage even more. Gustavo was so close to being rid of his curse after thousands of years, but it was all slipping from his grasp so quickly. He took the mask from his lower body and stared at it, beginning again to cry in pain.

“Mr. Cheren, we need to get out of here! The cave is unable to support itself, it is going to crash!” Paula shouted. Cheren acknowledged the sentiment and ran to grab Gustavo so they could Teleport away. He ran up and tried to take his hand.

“Come on, Gustavo, we’ve got to get out of here! We have to leave Aerodactyl behind or else we’re going to die!” he shouted. He tried to grab his Yamask’s hand but he shook him free. Gustavo shot him an angry look through the tears, moving back away defiantly. Cheren stepped in to try and grab him again but Gustavo floated away. Gustavo’s rage was building and he blinked away the tears. Gustavo shut his eyes and shook with rage and pain. After millennia of abuse and suffering, he was not about to give up when he was so close. In one final, climactic act, he raised his hands high above his head and threw the mask to the ground in a fit. The golden plate clattered on the ground, landing face down. Gustavo was breathing heavily, feeling the rage and determination course through his veins. He wiped away the tears and began to scream again.

This time it wasn’t a scream to incite fear or induce pain, but instead was a defiant scream, almost a howl. He shouted as loud as he could, bellowing to the walls around him. He shut his eyes and screamed louder, releasing all the energy in his tiny body. The mask on the ground began to shake from the intense sound waves, clattering against the stone floor. Gustavo bellowed and screamed as powerfully and loudly as he could… and began to change.

His small black body began to glow. The light resonated from inside of him, emanating power and strength. The bright light engulfed him, turning his whole body a brilliant and blinding white. His feral howl grew louder as his form began to morph, growing much larger and much more solid. Several blue rings wrapped around his body, pulsating around his new form. His tiny body grew into a massive rectangular box, with four giant arms sprouting from the sides. The light began to pulsate, filling the room in a strobe effect. His shriek reached a fevered pitch and the bundle of light burst. An ornate sarcophagus floated in the air for a moment before falling to the ground. It landed with a “thud!” upon the stone floor, and then was still. His shriek had stopped and the transformation was complete; Gustavo had evolved into a Cofagrigus.

The unmoving coffin lay on the ground. Cheren opened his eyes and uncovered his ears, walking up to it curiously. As he drew in near, the ornate pattern on the top slowly came to life. One dark, sinister eye opened, then the other. A terrifying Cheshire smile of razor sharp teeth spread across it, looking at Cheren intently and savagely. The sarcophagus rose into the air, and four giant, shadowy arms seeped out from inside of it, striking an imposing form. The newly evolved Cofagrigus turned to face Aerodactyl, grinning his terrible grin and preparing to strike. It slowly floated through the air over to it, arms outstretched.

Aerodactyl was still thrashing violently on the ground, shrieking and grunting with each hit. The Cofagrigus approached it slowly and grabbed it with one of its mighty arms. Aerodactyl was startled by the strength of the new enemy and tried desperately to free itself, but could not. Slowly, Gustavo brought another arm forward and grabbed at another part of Aerodactyl; then another arm, then the final one, pinning him to the wall and embracing him tightly. Aerodactyl shrieked and tried to break free, but Gustavo was too strong now. His four massive arms held Aerodactyl tightly, keeping him from hurting himself. Aerodactyl couldn’t break his grip and eventually wore himself out, his sanity returning to him. As Aerodactyl finally calmed himself, his eyes undilated and his understanding of where he was returned to him. He looked around in surprise as the realization set in. He looked at the massive Pokémon holding him and realized who it was. Gustavo slacked his grip just enough for Aerodactyl to shift positions and the two old friends embraced each other. The pair wept with joy at being reunited after millennia apart. Cheren walked slowly over to Paula’s side and rested a hand on her shoulder, smiling at the pair proudly; she looked up at him and smiled, hugging his leg cheerily. They looked on at the reunited pair with proud grins on their faces, happy to see the conclusion of their age-old curse. Cheren sighed.

“Gus the Cofagrigus… has a nice ring to it…” Paula mused. Cheren chuckled and picked up Gus’ mask. The pair separated and he handed it back to him. Gus looked at it stoically for a moment and then set it upon his forehead as the centerpiece of his regal crown. There was a slot specially designated for it and it fit into place perfectly. Gus and Aerodactyl looked at Cheren respectfully, smiling at him in thanks. Cheren smiled back, saying softly “Welcome to the team, Aerodactyl. Gus, your curse is over.

“Not by a long shot, mortal.” an eerie voice said commandingly from behind them. The four of them turned in shock to see who had spoken and saw a familiar face standing at the entrance of the room. He wore a long, filthy robe and had a diseased look to his skin and eyes. Cheren recognized him instantly: the man who had tricked them into the cave.

YOU!” Cheren shouted angrily. He took a step forward menacingly, but the man just laughed. “You tried to kill us, you bastard! You trapped us in Relic Castle sent Gus to attack us! What were you thinking?!” he continued.

“I was thinking you would die, stupid mortal. I was serving The Dark One by bringing sacrifices to his slave, as I have done for centuries. But you three… you proved to be more than I expected.” he said with a raspy laugh. “Just because you threw your weak, pitiful human machine at that Pokémon does not make him yours however, fool. That miserable wretch owes his life to The Dark One and will continue to fulfill his sentence. Hand him over.” he continued.

“Not on your lif-” Cheren started to say, but Aerodactyl decided to take matters into his own hands. He shrieked and stomped on the cave floor, shaking it again with an astonishing might. The razor sharp stalactites that hung from the ceiling over the entrance shook and dropped free, falling like bullets towards the man. He looked up to see his fate but could do nothing to stop it. The group of razor sharp stones impaled him, crushing him beneath their weight. He screamed in agony as they pinned him to the ground, a pool of dark blood staining the ground in the dark cave. When the dust settled, he looked up to face his attackers.

“You… you…” he rasped, but he couldn’t find the strength to continue his statement. He was losing blood and quickly dying; his sickly condition didn’t help his situation any either. Cheren looked at Aerodactyl in shock at what he had done.

“Jesus, Aerodactyl, you didn’t need to kill him! Paula, can you use Heal Pulse on him? Try to keep him alive a little longer.” Cheren shouted. Paula ran up and began trying to heal his wounds with her Psychic powers, but he screamed in even greater agony as her powers struck his body.

“The light! The light in your eyes offends me! STOP!” he shrieked. Paula stepped back in shock as he said this, stopping her treatment. The man caught his breath and began to speak in a strained voice, coughing up blood occasionally.

“You… you win this round, mortal… but the war… the war…” he started to say, but he was in terrible pain. “The Dark One beckons for my spirit. I shall be with you soon, Giratina.” he continued. A terrifying grin spread across his face and he laid his head down on the cobblestone floor, the blood staining his dirty hair. He continued to speak. “The Dark One commands allegiance from that Pokémon, mortal, and his will shall be done. You will meet three dark assassins during your continuing journey: The Shadow Triad. They are the fearless actors of our lord Giratina in this world, and they will try to take that Pokémon back. Do not defy them, or you shall meet the same fate as he did. Mark my words, mortal: The Dark One shall rise again, and no one, not even that detestable Arceus, will stop him. Praise be to Giratina; The Dark One cometh…”

As he finished his speech, a portal opened below him in the floor. The dark, shadowy, twisting abyss slowly engulfed the man, dragging him to the Distortion World to be with his master. His body slowly melded into the shadows and the portal closed, leaving nothing but the stalactites, still dug deep into the ground, and the pool of blood which stained the cobblestone floor. The four of them stood in shock and awe at what they had just heard, deeply troubled. Paula was the first to speak, and quietly said with determination, “In the words of Brigadier General Anthony McAuliffe… nuts.

For the first time since Cheren had opened the Apricorn ball, the shadowy room was silent. Nothing moved, nothing screamed, nothing thrashed and rampaged, the room was silent and still. The quiet was almost eerie, but it didn’t last long. As they stood in reflection of the events that had transpired, a low rumbling came from deep inside the walls of the cave and shook the room. More rocks began to fall from the ceiling around them and the cave finally began to crumble. It had sustained too much abuse and couldn’t support itself anymore. The cave-in threatened to kill them all under an even bigger rock slide, and the only way out was blocked by the stalactites that had killed the man. They looked around in shock, trying to assess the situation. Cheren, however, quickly drew Gus’ Pokéball and lunged for Aerodactyl’s, still sitting on the shrine. He returned his Pokémon to their Pokéballs, one in each hand, and then turned to face Paula. He leapt at her, embracing her with both arms and pinning her to the ground, shielding her from the falling rocks with his body.

Paula, get us out of here!” he shouted. “I know I’m not David, but just-”

“Mr. Cheren, it’s fine! Extenuating circumstances call for the impromptu embrace. Just shut up and let me concentrate!” she screamed, cutting him off. Cheren shut his eyes and hoped they would make it out before the falling rocks crushed them.

Paula didn’t have time to build up the energy and concentration for another big jump. She had to just get them somewhere far away and fast. She shut her eyes and focused intently on her trainer, trying to find him in the world. She concentrated as hard as she could on him and made the jump blind.

Guide me, master…” she said quietly in her mind.

The pair vanished in a bundle of light, just in time to avoid being crushed by the collapsing ceiling. The walls caved in on themselves and crushed the room, filling it with rocks, debris and smoke. Outside in the Desert Resort, the whole cave collapsed on itself, sealing the entrance and locking away the distorted pathway forever. The crash was loud enough that even the excavation crew noticed, turning in surprise towards the mountains. The shadowy pathway was gone forever, and everything inside it was destroyed…

David and Bianca walked in the bright, warm sunshine after their Gym battle, enjoying the sights and sounds of the amusement park around them. Everywhere they looked, children played and laughed, filling the air with their joy. The pair was walking hand-in-hand, finally able to be the romantic couple they had both been wanting for so long. They looked at their bright, shining new badges and smiled at each other happily. Bianca began to hum the melody to the song they had performed the night before, drawing a big smile from David. He bent down and gave her a quick peck on the cheek as she giggled. The two were as happy as could be, and nothing seemed like it could spoil their day.

A flash of light materialized into existence a few feet in front of them, distorting the space around it as it warped into view. The bundle of light materialized into Cheren and Paula, still holding each other and grimacing in terror. They fell to the ground and looked around in shock to see where they were. Cheren had to squint his eyes to adjust himself to the light; it had been the middle of the night when they had entered the cave, but their trip through its catacombs seemed to have distorted their perception of time. He looked around in shock and spied his friends walking towards him, a confused look on their faces. He rose to stand, wobbly at first, and ran towards them, still gripping Gus and Aerodactyl’s Pokéballs.

“Hey Cheren, how was your trip?” David asked nonchalantly, but Cheren cut him off. He was still in shock from his near-death experience and was tripping over his words.

“Guys… guys… guys…” he rasped, but he couldn’t sound out the rest of his words. His clothes were disheveled, he had a wild look in his eyes, and he was covered in dirt and dust. He looked like he had been through hell and back; his appearance frightened Bianca.

“Cheren, slow down. What’s wrong?” she asked. Cheren caught his breath, stood up straighter and looked them in the eyes. He cleared his throat and spoke in a commanding, ominous voice.

“You guys… boy have I got a story for you.

Last edited:

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person
Holy crap that was epic! I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through!

Gegoory

BLAAARZH!

That was EPIC.

The grammar I don't think you checked enough (looking at the length of it), so it seems rougher than your other chaps.
Since I'm not a grammar-police-guy-thing, though, I'm going to leave the little bits to Glover and NACHOE!.

On the other hand, I do want to mention that saying 'Eastern Unova' instantly means the towns accessed after the Elite Four. (For me, at least)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aerodactyl just killing something moments after joining Cheren is just another sign of his bada**ery. His team seems well rounded out (?). It seems dark or 'gothic' with Umbreon, Fossil-face, and a ghost-coffin. It seems to fit Cheren, if he's going to go pull a Red and mope in Victory Road.
Or, maybe, that's just my non-exhistent OCD acting up again.

Keep up the good work. ;186;

P.S. When's chap 11 up? ;D

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
That, was epic.

First off, I see none of the grammar mistakes that Gegoory did, but I've never been good at that thing, justgrabbing whatever sticks out. So, on to the important part of the story.

He'll still be just as inadvertently funny as he is now, he'll just be a lot fatter; think Al Gore, but a Pokemon.

But, but, I don't find him funny! And besides, Snorlax don't fit in baseball stadiums as easily. Munchy is much more enjoyable as "bite-sized" than he is a feast... [/pointlesswhiningromthepeanutgallery] (Don't feel bad, every good author does somethign the readers can't stand.

Oh, and my spacebar seems to be acting up, so pardon anything that looks likethis. I'll try to keep an eye on it.

1) reusing the ending of CH9 for an intro, good call.

“See that tree?” Paula replied, motioning towards the tree with its leaves stripped from it. Cheren nodded and she continued. “That tree is different than all the others because Ms. Bianca’s Pachirisu tested out her Hidden Power on it, freezing off all the leaves, after Ms. Fennel gave her the TM for it. Therefore, this must be Ms. Fennel’s building.”
Yay for continuity!

Her name is Amanita; she’s a student at the college Aurea and I went to.” she continued.
Nice way to include the game canon, and explain what the PC person is doing there.

“Yes, I- Eek!” Paula said, startling herself and slapping her hands to her mouth. She had opened her mouth and actually spoken the words to him directly, as opposed to communicating telepathically. It was a new experience for the little Kirlia, and she was taken aback by the sound of her own voice in English. “I… I can speak!” she said excitedly.

You know, and this is just a readership thing, but for the longest time, I thought Paula was speaking. Mostly, because the quotations were the same. It really didn't surprise me that she could, being so humanoid as it was.

“Okay, well that’s one thing that’s different.” Cheren continued. “How are your motor skills?”
Dude, you're a floating apparition possessing someone else's dreams. Essentially, a brainwave. And you find it weird a humanoid Pokemon is talking? Do me a favor, don't run into Team Rocket, their Meowth mightmake you hyperventilate.

I'm not up to the Scrafty episode yet

Paula floated through the air gracefully, able to fly with ease and navigate her new environment effortlessly. She flipped in the air and giggled to herself, remarking “Oh my, Mr. Cheren, this is fun!”
David's litttle ballerina. And why is it I'm waiting for Paula to master telekinesis now,soley so she can fly like a birdie?

Wow, it’s an Absol!” Cheren replied, looking in wonder at the rare Pokémon. Everyone in the room gasped as the realization of what the creature was dawned on them.
That's not good.

(Actually, that's quite good indeed. I'm a proponent of keeping Unova relatively isolated species wise, but you're fitting all the other PKMN legends in so nicely I can't even agree with my self)

The dark, hellish smoke swirled around him, and he blacked out.
Nice touch, I bet this is that seamless change part we have in dreams, and the dream mist can't process that, no?

The Darkness threatens to overcome this kingdom tonight,
Hmm. Darkrai or Giratina.

“NO!!! Tonight I lose my kingdom and my son!”
Life and duty, it sucks, don't it?

partake in more age appropriate content.
Tee hee. I had tosee what you linked to.

“That…” he started to say. “That… that…” he stammered. “That’s Giratina!” he finally managed to say in shock. “That’s one of the most powerful Legendary Pokémon in the world!”

Yep. And thank you for uisn the awesome version of Giratina. That multi-legged thingy is just hideous.

By the grace of Arceus
Foreshadow much? Or was that a prayer being answered toot-sweet?

Shadow Triad
Okay, that's unexpected. Me thinks Ghetsis is being toyed with.

“No, my child, it does not belong to you. Your brother Dialga controls the ebb and flow of time in this dimension, and your sister Palkia controls the grandeur of its space. The two of them are the masters of this dimension, and operate it as a team. You have once again proven to me that you are not yet mature enough to aid them in this task.” the voice from the light replied. “You shall be sent back to your dominion and you shall not return from it.” it continued.

Stupid older siblings getting the cool toys...

“Paula, I don’t know if you can hear me somehow, but… if you can… I did it…” she heard her trainer say.
This.

It looks like an Apricorn Ball
You've really got this cross-continuity thing down.

“Gustavo, use Shadow Ball!” Cheren shouted commandingly. He knew he had to find a way to calm the beast before it caused a cave-in and killed them all. The Yamask charged up the energy to launch the dark blast, but he couldn’t bring himself to fire. It had been millennia since he had last seen his old friend, and he couldn’t bring himself to hurt it. He shut his eyes and trembled,
Predicatble, but that's a good thing.

His small black body began to glow. The light resonated from inside of him, emanating power and strength. The bright light engulfed him, turning his whole body a brilliant and blinding white. His feral howl grew louder as his form began to morph, growing much larger and much more solid. Several blue rings wrapped around his body, pulsating around his new form. His tiny body grew into a massive rectangular box, with four giant arms sprouting from the sides. The light began to pulsate, filling the room in a strobe effect. His shriek reached a fevered pitch and the bundle of light burst. An ornate sarcophagus floated in the air for a moment before falling to the ground. It landed with a “thud!” upon the stone floor, and then was still. His shriek had stopped and the transformation was complete; Gustavo had evolved into a Cofagrigus.
Uhhh... Okay, how do we say this. This section, was good. It was true, it was fitting, it belongs. The evolution belongs.

Butttttt.... We're still evolving in a mass-frenzy here. Next few chapters, you might want to take a break from evolving anyone.

Also, I'm thinking it should have dawned on Paula, if not Cheren as well, that Gustavo wasn't going to attack his friend. So somebody help him! Don't just stand there calling attacks! Be the trainer the Pokemon needs!

The pair separated and he handed it back to him. Gus looked at it stoically for a moment and then set it upon his forehead as the centerpiece of his regal crown. There was a slot specially designated for it and it fit into place perfectly.

hate that word. Sounds painful when spoken

“I was thinking you would die, stupid mortal.
yay stupid answers to stupid questions.

“In the words of Brigadier General Anthony McAuliffe… nuts.”
And for references to quotes being longer than the quotes! And where did Paula learn who Brigadier General Anthony McAuliffe was? At least someone benefitted from David's history class memories.

Paula didn’t have time to build up the energy and concentration for another big jump. She had to just get them somewhere far away and fast. She shut her eyes and focused intently on her trainer, trying to find him in the world. She concentrated as hard as she could on him and made the jump blind.

“Guide me, master…” she said quietly in her mind.
Love this, love Paula, love theentire scene.

“Hey Cheren, how was your trip?” David asked nonchalantly, but Cheren cut him off. He was still in shock from his near-death experience and was tripping over his words.

“Guys… guys… guys…” he rasped, but he couldn’t sound out the rest of his words. His clothes were disheveled, he had a wild look in his eyes, and he was covered in dirt and dust. He looked like he had been through hell and back; his appearance frightened Bianca.

“Cheren, slow down. What’s wrong?” she asked. Cheren caught his breath, stood up straighter and looked them in the eyes. He cleared his throat and spoke in a commanding, ominous voice.

See first comment.

All in all though, this was awesome. I would, if not for being in a bathtub reading this from the table, also have been on the edge of my seat. Do keep up the awesome action chapters. You're best on yet.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Hey, sorry for the late reply. Really busy, and most of my free time has been spent on my podcast or training my team.

But enough useless info. REVIEW! To continue with tradition, I will use points.

1. You have just proven you are not the run-of-the-mill-adventure-fic-writer. There is obvious depth, and thought that runs deep in your writing. Kudos to you. I agree with some of the posters before me; this is your best chapter.

2. I also felt that Gustavo evolved early. But I also realized that Yamask had been Yamask for a multiple millennium. So in actuality, it's evolution was just fine. I like that it actually had a reason to evolve too. It made sense.

3. It's also really interesting how Gustavo isn't just some random Pokemon Cheren caught. He has such a strange backstory, and will be very important in the future. I don't know how you think of these things, but it's genius. Keep going with it! His name change was a bit random though. I think it would have been better to have had that happen in a separate, less dangerous scene.

4. You're usually pretty good at this, but I also notice that sometimes you neglect this. Show, don't tell. You told us that Gustavo had been acting as if he wanted Cheren to figure out this problem; I never saw this. Honestly, until Cheren said that, it seemed as if Cheren was trying to rip the information from Gustavo without regard of his feelings towards the whole thing. Show some more interaction of Trainer and Pokemon, besides David's Pokemon. Just so the reader can see that partnership.

5. I actually did the History of the Pokemon World in my recent podcast, pulling most of my info from bulbapedia. I have to admit, this was a very good way of using non-mainstream Pokemon plots to your advantage. Bad guy isn't Team ajhglaejg. It's Giratina. In Unova. That went along with canon. Very good. I must say though, the use of apricorns is actually misplaced. Apricorns were invented during Oak's time; prior to that, Pokemon roamed free. If you watched the Arceus movie, it would have been obvious, but I imagine you haven't (it's fine really). I just had to say. It's not major or anything though; just a tiny nitpick.

6. I like how you included some mention of what was going on at the same time as David and Bianca. That's really it on that. hahah.

7. You are the first writer to utilize the dream world. And it's used in a very intelligent way. I really like the use of the Dream World.

8. I liked the links. ^__^

And I think that's about it. Really well written chapter; if you improve anymore, I don't know how I'm going to be able to write an intelligent review that's more than "Good job! Can't wait to read more!" But please do. haha.

So, in short, "Good job! Can't wait to read more!"

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Hi everyone, thanks for all the great reviews. Glad you liked the last chapter so much. The next one will hopefully be up this Saturday or Sunday and will be covering Cold Storage. Driftveil City will actually span three chapters, which are currently listed and titled as chapters 11, 12 and 13. I think 12 in particular will be something that will answer a lot of your suggestions for more interaction with the Pokemon themselves. Stay tuned.

Just to reiterate, I'd like you all to give me advise on something. There is a special something I've been thinking of trying to post for you all lately, but I'm not sure if it would be possible or not as of right now. What would you all think about tying it to the PM list? If you approve, I will look into the possibility of this thing happening, and if it is possible, then when the PM list hits a certain number of people, I'll post it. Would that be something you are interested in? Let me know; thanks.

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person
Hi everyone, thanks for all the great reviews. Glad you liked the last chapter so much. The next one will hopefully be up this Saturday or Sunday and will be covering Cold Storage. Driftveil City will actually span three chapters, which are currently listed and titled as chapters 11, 12 and 13. I think 12 in particular will be something that will answer a lot of your suggestions for more interaction with the Pokemon themselves. Stay tuned.

Just to reiterate, I'd like you all to give me advise on something. There is a special something I've been thinking of trying to post for you all lately, but I'm not sure if it would be possible or not as of right now. What would you all think about tying it to the PM list? If you approve, I will look into the possibility of this thing happening, and if it is possible, then when the PM list hits a certain number of people, I'll post it. Would that be something you are interested in? Let me know; thanks.

AWESOME!

Also, I wouldn't tie the special thing to the PM list unless you have it at least half done at this point to give yourself some time.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Hey everyone, just another quick update. I did some writing on Sunday night, and a good deal more last night, and I was writing and writing, and before I knew it, I had accidentally a whole chapter! I even accidentally a couple of the verbs too! Chapter 11 was supposed to be covering the entirety of the player's meeting with N on the Ferris wheel and the events of Cold Storage, but the former ended up being long enough to be a standalone chapter by itself. Chapter 11 will be covering that and will hopefully be up tomorrow or Thursday. Chapter 12 will be the old Chapter 11 and will feature the events of Cold Storage. 13 will be the old 12, 14 will be the old 13, and so on. I will update the OP to reflect these changes as soon as I post this. The impending chapter is titled "Romulus and Remus." Hope you like it.

Also, just as one final point of clarification, Audino, the thing I have in mind isn't a piece of writing or anything like that; it is something I could just post as is, but I don't have a copy of it right now and I'm not sure if a copy still exists. If you all support the idea, I'll check into seeing if a copy still exists and if it does, I'll post it. But it isn't something I would need to put any time into or anything, it would just be a little surprise. I think I will probably go through with it though, so keep checking back for more.

Thanks for reading guys. New chapter in the next few days. Stay tuned!

jstinftw!

hey trainer
I think it'd be a cool thing to do. But if people don't want to be on the PM list, and choose to either subscribe, bookmark the page, or just remember that you write a story they want to read, then the whole thing becomes pointless.

But I think it'd be a cool thing to do, like I said. ^__^

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
What NACHOEI said. I'm all for extras and gimmies, but I'm running my fic-reading off of Subscriptions.

Gegoory

Yeah, I think it might be hard to judge number of devoted fans with the PM list.
How about just posting it ASAP so that we, your drooling fans, will have something to chew on while we stay up till 5 waiting for the next chapter.

Maybe not.

Just post the gift according to reviews/views/subscriptions. All I can say.

Stupid Time zones! It's already 8 at night! I want chapters! RIIIIBBBBIIITTT!
;186;