• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Chronological order of games?

icemcdonald

is there any official order in which the games take place? its hard to tell what comes after which, all i know is that 2nd gen hapens after first because you fight red, and 5th hapens after 4th because when you fight cynthia she references the battle with giratina. i have no idea where 3rd gen fits in though, or whether 1st/2nd hapened before or after 4th/5th
what are your thoughts on chronological order?

uprockingdude

Veteran Breeder
I think quite honestly the order is generation 1 2 3 4 5 and nothing more complex

dragoniteKnight

Pose as a team
theres no way to know for sure, besides 5 has to happen after 2,3 and 4, and 2 happens after 1, as well as 4 after 2, so really that means 3 is unknown

Charaligatr

The Secret Rascal
I and III at the same time, then II/IV 3 years later. Then V.

Last edited:

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
1st and 3rd Gen take place at the same time
2nd and 4th Gen take place at the same time

2nd Gen takes place a few years after 1st gen, as it is a direct continuation of the story in Red/Blue. 5th Gen takes place after 2nd Gen, as the Team Rocket member in Iccarus City references the events of Gold/Silver as having already taken place.

Gigastrike

How do we know that 1 and 3 happen simultaniously again?

iZaln

Also, note that in N's Castle in 5th gen (Black/White), a Plasma grunt says that Team Rocket and Team Galactic were too flashy, leading to their respective failures, so that means that 5th most likely took place after 1st and 4th gen, but doesn't specify exactly for 2nd.

EDIT: Actually, as stated by Razor Leaf, 5th is after 2nd Gen.

Last edited:

Charaligatr

The Secret Rascal
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/History_of_the_Pokémon_world#Contemporary_history

Explains it all really. If you consider the remakes to be the updated canon of the originals, then there's 2 seperate timelines:

Gen I(R/B/Y) and Gen II(G/S/C) 3 years later.

Gen III (R/S/E/FR/LG) and Gen IV(D/P/Pt/HG/SS) 3 years later, followed about 10 years later by Gen V (B/W). Given that there is no way to trade between Gen I/II and the others, this is the timeline that is now being followed.

This is just for the main series. Side games follow a whole different timeline.

Lucas.G

Veteran Member
is there any official order in which the games take place? its hard to tell what comes after which, all i know is that 2nd gen hapens after first because you fight red, and 5th hapens after 4th because when you fight cynthia she references the battle with giratina. i have no idea where 3rd gen fits in though, or whether 1st/2nd hapened before or after 4th/5th
what are your thoughts on chronological order?

In HG & SS Team Rocket make a reference of LG & FR, also the apearance of Steven Stone is related with R, S & E.

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
Obviously, the events of Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/FireRed/LeafGreen take place before any other. At the same time, however, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald's storyline is happening (As indicated in details in FireRed/LeafGreen and Emerald).

Three years after the events of those games (as specified in the games themselves as well as countless offical guides) the events of Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver take place. At the same time, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum's events are taking place (as indicated by details in all Gen IV games, including the Red Garados announcement at the beginning)

Generation V is a bit tricky. While we do know that it takes place after the events of all previous main-series games, we do not know how long the time gap is. One hint to this is a man in Black and White's Icirrous City who admits he was once a Team Rocket Grunt who stole the Machine Part in Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver.

the Team Rocket Grunt who stole the Machine Part in Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver mentions that he

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
Well, think of it like this: I and II - 3 years. Likewise, III and IV are also 3 years apart. The Rocket Grunt in Unova has a kid that he obviously didn't have in IV's HGSS, so it's possible that it is several years after HGSS and DPPt, but then again... Cynthia is in BW, and her Pokémon are not really that much more leveled than from DPPt, so... we can assume 3 things:

1. Cynthia really cannot train Pokémon, or takes her 7 years to do so.
2. The Rocket Grunt already had a family and he went back to Unova to them, thus making it about a year or less after HGSS
3. The Grunt married a single mom, making it at least 2 or 3 years after HGSS.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Generation V is a bit tricky. While we do know that it takes place after the events of all previous main-series games, we do not know how long the time gap is. One hint to this is a man in Black and White's Icirrous City who admits he was once a Team Rocket Grunt who stole the Machine Part in Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver.

the Team Rocket Grunt who stole the Machine Part in Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver mentions that he

Thats who that guy is?! I didnt even notice..Nice touch of nostalgia there XD

But if we ever got Caitlin's age that could tell us the timespan..

Karzon

The Noobish Breeder
Thought it was somewhere around like this:

Kanto/Hoenn= 1996(ish)

Johto/Sinnoh= 1999(ish)

Unova=2010(ish)

Reasoning: Kanto games where released in 1996 and the Remakes(as well as Emerald) kinda hint about them happening at the same time

Johto games where released 3(ish) years later( and they only say it like a million times that Johto is three years after Kanto) and the Johto remakes hint about Sinnoh events happening at the same time (Haven't play the Sinnoh games yet)

BW were released in 2010, and I read somewhere (Prolly bulbapedia) that these games take place about ten years after Johto/Sinnoh events.

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
Thought it was somewhere around like this:

Kanto/Hoenn= 1996(ish)

Johto/Sinnoh= 1999(ish)

Unova=2010(ish)

Reasoning: Kanto games where released in 1996 and the Remakes(as well as Emerald) kinda hint about them happening at the same time

Johto games where released 3(ish) years later( and they only say it like a million times that Johto is three years after Kanto) and the Johto remakes hint about Sinnoh events happening at the same time (Haven't play the Sinnoh games yet)

BW were released in 2010, and I read somewhere (Prolly bulbapedia) that these games take place about ten years after Johto/Sinnoh events.

The times of the games are not at all related to the times they are released in the real world, especially given that the Pokémon Universe is alternate to our own.

Bulbapedia states very clearly that the time inbetween Johto/Sinnoh and Unova is undetermined.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
I think it goes:

Gen I + Gen III start off simultaneously. Then, three years later Gen II starts, and very shortly after Gen II starts, Gen IV begins (because Red Gyarados happens towards the end of Gen II and you hear abouti t at the beginning of Gen IV). Then, Gen V takes place way after all of them.

fhqwhgads

In D/P, we arrive at the lake while Rowan and Lucas/Dawn are still here, while in Platinum they already left the Lake when we leave Twinleaf Town.
1. This wouldn't change anything if it was true, mostly because it has nothing to do with anything.

2. Platinum is the canon Sinnoh game, not DP. DP didn't happen, technically.