• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cigarette baby's mother sentenced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
Yahoo news said:
A mother whose three-year-old boy lit a cigarette butt and smoked it in front of her has received a suspended jail sentence. Skip related content
Related photos / videos Cigarette baby's mother sentenced The incident was filmed on a mobile phone and passed to social services by a concerned friend of the boy's mother, 24-year-old Kelly Marie Pocock.

Pocock, a mother-of-three from Sarah Street, Merthyr Vale, South Wales, appeared in court for sentencing after pleading guilty to one count of cruelty to a child under 16 at a hearing last month.

Prosecutor Jonathan Rees told Merthyr Crown Court: "The video demonstrates the boy placing a cigarette into his mouth, lighting it with a lighter and sucking, drawing smoke clearly into the lungs and he seems to do it with some accomplishment.

"It doesn't cause him any discomfort. He is sat on a chair close to the mother, who is talking on the phone.

"It is clear that the boy, at the age of three, knows what to do with a lighter and cigarette."

After being charged, Pocock entered a guilty plea on the basis that she had not seen her son smoking before.

Judge John Curran said the case was one of the most "extraordinary" he had ever come across.

He said: "This is an appalling situation and I don't see how, despite your basis of plea, you could have been unaware of the fact".

He that while the offence would normally cross the custody threshold, he did not want to cause her children any further emotional harm by separating them from their mother.

Judge Curran also acknowledged the "considerable efforts" Pocock had taken to improve the situation.

Pocock was sentenced to 40 weeks imprisonment, suspended for two years. He also imposed a 12-month supervision requirement.
discuss.
how could she not notice?!

I think that she probably noticed. She may have even started his habit.

Faerie

MONS
One crazy mother

Oh, she noticed, that's for sure. From the description, this doesn't sound just like imitation of behaviors. I wouldn't go so far as to assume that she started her child's behavior, but she certainly did not discourage it at all, and perhaps even showed him how when he showed interest. The implications here are as appalling as the facts.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
I'm sure the mother should have at least smelt the smoke on the baby's breathe or something, but that is just straight negligence on the mother's part.

cbiesra

Pedophillia? Naww.>>
Oh look another news thread.
You know you love them. What good plus1 postcount threads

Anyway, this shit is crazy. You'd have to be drunk, stoned, and stupid to let your child do that.
O WATE

shadowkami

Internet Hustla'
Wow another crappy news thread. Does the severity of the ramifications of the sentence need be explained? Seriously...

KetchupO

tωisted
As much as I am against smoking, especially in the company of children, this isn't worth being imprisoned for. ;/

This isn't even really news worthy.

The mother should seek help/counseling on how to raise her child/ren well/better.

Profesco

gone gently
This is nothing! Why, back in the day, a baby would be born downing two packs a day and still have the strength of lung to run a 5 mile marathon before dinner! The kids these days are wimps.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
*sigh* Kids these days start younger and younger.

I don't really see how the mother is arrested for it, unless it's for child endangerment, but she should've put her smokes where her damned kid couldn't reach it.

PartyPokemon

L or Kira?
This is nothing! Why, back in the day, a baby would be born downing two packs a day and still have the strength of lung to run a 5 mile marathon before dinner! The kids these days are wimps.

Yeah! And cigarettes were unfiltered back then, too! Hey, Profesco, whaddya say you and I go and toughen these kids up? We'll teach 'em...

DarkRidley

Deals and Issues
It's kinda depressing that a mother would do that, but I'm not really sure that prison was a fair decision either.

Whatever. Stupid world we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.