• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cilan and the Case of the Purrloin Witness! (786)

NPT

Just a member
This was a great episode, I'm glad Ash won a tournament .... for once after so long.
It was nice to see an episode focused on Cilan, (Thankfully there was no appearance from Team Rocket in this episode) I liked how Clian found out the thief who stole Mrs. Ripple's rare jewel "The eye of Liepard".
But at the end of this episode, I was like WHAT? Cilan told Ash and Iris the reason why still fears Purrloin .... But off-screen ?! I guess it's another mystery that will be solved in the future ....... Or maybe not.

Last edited:

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
This was quite a good episode in my opinion. It was mixed with the funny moments of Cilan and Purrloin and the excitement of Ash's tournament, even though we saw very little of it. It's just a little infuriating that we didn't find out why Cilan fears Purrloin. I hope they reveal it before the end of the arc.

Anyway, onto the next one!

Venusaur Master

ProtoPrimeX
I actually liked this episode. I think having a mystery story play out is probably what won it for me. Sure its filler but it was still enjoyable. I could have sworn Cilan had shown a Purrloin fear before, way back in the middle of Unova. Just shows you can write a good filler without goofy TRio showing up.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I bet the reason we don't hear why Cilan fears Purrloin is because it's inappropriate for even kids to hear. Guess that Purrloin back in Cilan's years must have done something REALLY horrible to him.

I doubt he'll tell his fear openly now that Ash and Iris know about it, and they looked pretty shocked. Kind of lame, but oh well.

At least we know the reason for other fears carried by previous members of Ash's gang.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
The guy who voices Master Roshi in DBZ was in this episode apparently

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It was a great episode. I usually don't enjoy fillers like this one. I was surprised Team Rocket didn't appear at all.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Yeah I agree with Zoruagible. This was a filler that I actually liked, and the plot wasn't as simplistic as I would've thought if you told me there was a mystery episode of pokémon.

Acdog

As of this episode, I am finally completely caught up in the anime. I've seen every movie, Pikachu short, special, and episode. That only took like two years.

Anyway, this episode was decent. The gems looked pretty cool. Interesting that Cilan's fear got brought up again, but now that Iris and Ash know I doubt we ever will. I guess it's up to your imagination.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Is it me or did the ships captain bear a strong resemblence to Hitler?

STICKTOPIA

I really wanted to know why Cilan was afraid of purrloin! What a way to fill up the suspense and to disappoint us.... That guy was pretty slick to cut the power out and use vanillite to steal the jewel. Ash finally wins a tournament even though it wasn't really a big one like the tag battle contest or poke ringer contest

I meant to bring this us during 'Purrloin: Sweet Or Sneaky?', I don't understand why Purrloin is always shown bi-pedal in stead of quadrupedal, like most other Pokemon that are quadrupeds...?
Also, I wanted to know (or it was brought up in the past and I'm just not remembering) why Cilan is so uncomfortable around Purrloin, and they just flat-out implied he told everyone at the end, without actually telling us. I wonder why the writers did that?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I meant to bring this us during 'Purrloin: Sweet Or Sneaky?', I don't understand why Purrloin is always shown bi-pedal in stead of quadrupedal, like most other Pokemon that are quadrupeds...?
Also, I wanted to know (or it was brought up in the past and I'm just not remembering) why Cilan is so uncomfortable around Purrloin, and they just flat-out implied he told everyone at the end, without actually telling us. I wonder why the writers did that?

Lame attempt at humor. That's why.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Great episode! It's been so long since I've watched the show I'd forgotten about Cilan's detective thing (I love when he goes into evaluation time or detective mode, unlike Iris, LOL). Revisiting his fear/dislike over purrloins was funny too. At least by the end of the episode he seemed to tolerate them. You gotta love the show not telling us what Cilan's reason for disliking them is. :p This was definitely a great Cilan episode, I'm going to miss him once I finally get to XY.

7/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well I'm a fan of episodes where there's a mystery to be solved, so I liked how Cilan played detective again and how Purrloin helped out. The cruise ship's tourney was a neat subplot too and I'm glad Ash won.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The small tournament on the ship was a good idea, although it ended up being a side event at most while Dent's detective routine with Choroneko was the main event. I don't know why Satoshi even won the tournament, and it was rather irksome that we still didn't discover why Dent dislikes Choroneko so much.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Eh, I'm mad that the tournament wasn't expanded on. I would have preferred that over the first two Team Rocket fillers of Da!. With nothing but filler characters in it besides Ash and Iris, it might have been a fun watch and only would have required two episodes. :/