• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cilan Takes Flight (728)

XXD17

Draco rex
Jeez I see some tension surrounding crustle...personally, I LOVE crustle as a pokemon and how he is being depicted here!! I mean I'm probably one of the only person I see regularly running a crustle in OU and it works!!! I just couldn't believe how few people use them and I like how it's getting some love in the anime at least...I mean after two shell smashes, what do you expect? Of course it's going to own but get taken out easily...as for stunfisk, even Skyla said that it should have used a stronger move like thunderbolt instead of thundershock against her swanna so it makes sense that it lost...anyways, I loved unfezant...design-wise, unfezant is my second favorite regional bird and I ove how the anime depicts it...its cry is pretty awesome...

G50

No longer posting
This episode was ok...It was great to see the Male Kenhorou for the 1st time. Cilan was incredibly angry. His firey eyes, volcanic background when he blew his top and couldn't take it anymore, and his hilarious angry walk with arms stiffly down and walking stiffly. Skyla's voice was really high pitched and hurt my ears. Seeing Iwapalace being the only Pokemon of Cilan's to win was very frustrating. Cilan had Yanappu using a ground attack and Muggyo as well, against Flying Types when they are ground attacks. For some reason, Swana's Aqua Ring move was able to get rid of the Burn condition that Scald caused, that was unusual. Ash was almost as angry as Cilan was at Skyla and decided to battle her. Yanappu did not do well at all and neither did Muggyo which was very disappointing.

67/100

Lee-san

Limbo Messiah
Seriously, what is up with Ash using his Pokedex on Pokemon he's seen before? That happened so many times already this season.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Does anyone know which pokémon Ash called out at the end of the episode?

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
The writers did not call as much negative attention to what Volkner was doing even though it was worse. The only person other than Ash to criticize him (iirc) was Paul, and he even found a (misguided, granted) defender in Barry. When Ash finally met him, he complained, then did something about it and it was over. This entire episode, on the other hand, was completely centered around as many characters as possible - suspiciously all male - slamming it in our faces how horrible what Skyla is doing is.

It's Barry what do you expect? If Barry got a badge from Skyla he'd do the same thing. Look, Paul, Ash and Flint all got upset with Volkner. Dawn didn't, she didn't even care.

I don't think this episode was intended to seem sexist, it might seem like it was, but no way is it. For one thing, it wasn't even agaisn't all girls, it was just Skyla. So it's Skyla-ist.

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
You appreciate mindless, senseless unbalancing of a main character's team; you like it that Stunfisk hasn't won a single battle, yet is portrayed to be powerful and creative when it's fighting. Stunfisk's way of battling is much more interesting than "Rock Wrecker!Shell Smash!lol Rock Wrecker! Shell SmashScissor!"

So remember me how was it with Ash's Charizard? Yeah...

At least Cilan is using a powerhouse with a great moveset, something Ash's Unova's team doesn't have... yet.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
So this entire episode was just a Gym-Leader dick measuring contest, wow.

I used to think Cilan's Pansage was strong. I guess I was mistaken.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Seriously, what is up with Ash using his Pokedex on Pokemon he's seen before? That happened so many times already this season.

To help the younger fanbase understand each thing being scaned. I've noticed frequently seen pokes like Pidove,Deerling, Darumaka ect. aren't scanned.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I don't think this episode was intended to seem sexist, it might seem like it was, but no way is it. For one thing, it wasn't even agaisn't all girls, it was just Skyla. So it's Skyla-ist.

An episode dedicated to bashing a character is even worse.

But back to the topic of Crustle: I just can't at the people who are trying to defend him. I've even seen a post where a member tried to justify his hax strength by claiming that it was all leading somewhere. That was the weirdest thing I've ever read; as if the writers would really plan that far ahead.

Last edited:

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
But only Misty was upset, and that's because she had an actual reason; she was related to the Gym Leaders and would obviously feel angry that her sisters were giving away Cascade Badges, which were the pride of the Cerulean City Gym. In this episode, however, Cilan threw a temper tantrum without a justified reason. And before anyone counters with the tired "Cilan is a Gym Leader" argument, they need to remember that Brock was still considered to be the Pewter City Gym Leader during the early episodes of the anime, and he wasn't bothered by Misty's sister's actions (he seemed aware of what was going on at the time).

Brock is Brock. He's a bit more laid back about those things...Dento has a much more fiery personality in a sense. While he is normally cool and relaxed something's when they go against something he is passionate about he gets upset. It might be a little childish but no one made a claim he was the most mature character to be on the main cast.

gohan5

Irisboy
Brock is Brock. He's a bit more laid back about those things...Dento has a much more fiery personality in a sense. While he is normally cool and relaxed something's when they go against something he is passionate about he gets upset. It might be a little childish but no one made a claim he was the most mature character to be on the main cast.

Yeah true, I do think they could have pulled back a bit though it was mildly unnerving. They kind of wanted you to hate her, I mean even if Dento is passionate he could have seemed a bit more respectful. Luckily Skyla is a laid back person or this could have been much worse.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Yeah true, I do think they could have pulled back a bit though it was mildly unnerving. They kind of wanted you to hate her, I mean even if Dento is passionate he could have seemed a bit more respectful. Luckily Skyla is a laid back person or this could have been much worse.

While that is true (it didn't bother me I enjoyed his anger. Pretty much coz I like his chara but anyways) it gave a different dynamic to him. Instead of making him seem passive/upset a bit they made it to hit his berserk button. Characters like that are kind of cool. It shows that they are rather mentally unstable :p (Dento = Hollyleaf 'cept he wouldn't try to kill Skyla)

gohan5

Irisboy
While that is true (it didn't bother me I enjoyed his anger. Pretty much coz I like his chara but anyways) it gave a different dynamic to him. Instead of making him seem passive/upset a bit they made it to hit his berserk button. Characters like that are kind of cool. It shows that they are rather mentally unstable :p (Dento = Hollyleaf 'cept he wouldn't try to kill Skyla)

Not really, it's not like his buttons haven't been pushed before. I felt more bad for Skyla since I understood where she was coming from somewhat. I commend her for being so level headed, not sure many of you could sit there and listen to everyone yelling and telling you you're wrong. I just think Dento went overboard, I mean Ash and her grandfather had understandable reactions. When Ash looks like the sane person you need to step back and think about your actions.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
you lose faith in the fandom everyday... Why is everyone hating on this episode. It's normal for Ash to criticize a gym leader who thinks battling's a chore...and Miles is Skyla's grandfather(?) and Cilan's just being Cilan. If we knew Iris was a gym leader, she'd probably be just as upset with Skyla as Cilan was. Sure, you can say Cilan's neglecting his duties as a gym leader, but case in point, the trainers in the anime get to chose who they battle, I mean I guess the Tepig trainers are unfortunate, but who cares. I liked the episode and I find it pretty sad that we have to call certain episode sexist and other stupid things like that

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Not really, it's not like his buttons haven't been pushed before. I felt more bad for Skyla since I understood where she was coming from somewhat. I commend her for being so level headed, not sure many of you could sit there and listen to everyone yelling and telling you you're wrong. I just think Dento went overboard, I mean Ash and her grandfather had understandable reactions. When Ash looks like the sane person you need to step back and think about your actions.

Well that means his berserk button is consistent throughout the anime. I honestly could not see where Skyla was coming from because she wasn't being fair to herself or the opponent. It was just stuff she thought in her head that doesn't even happen that way.

Lol Dento's kind of a cocky little devil when it comes to battling. His anger was a bit surprising but it was nice seeing him try to lecture her and prove her wrong only for that to backfire. I felt bad for him, he had good intentions all together at least.

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
I've even seen a post where a member tried to justify his hax strength by claiming that it was all leading somewhere. That was the weirdest thing I've ever read; as if the writers would really plan that far ahead.

Hi.

Seriously, how can it be weird? We aren't even half way with this saga and that's not that odd to not happen (I'm not predicting something like J returning or a Digimon being captured). I just believe all this must have a meaning somewhere in the future.

We are seeing Crustle being like a real powerhouse (great moveset and combos, impressive strength, all mighty and badass) for some reason - who knows, maybe something like a climatic battle versus Ash or even being a way to develop Cilan as a character more dimensional (losing his "hi i'm fabulous" thing). One thing i'm sure: It's wrong to point out this is just bad writing. And yap, I'm still believing that this will lead to something bigger.

Edit: I'm not a Cilan fanboy btw.

Last edited:

gohan5

Irisboy
Well that means his berserk button is consistent throughout the anime. I honestly could not see where Skyla was coming from because she wasn't being fair to herself or the opponent. It was just stuff she thought in her head that doesn't even happen that way.

Lol Dento's kind of a cocky little devil when it comes to battling. His anger was a bit surprising but it was nice seeing him try to lecture her and prove her wrong only for that to backfire. I felt bad for him, he had good intentions all together at least.

Basically, it appears like she's been winning so much that battling isn't as fun anymore and she likes to fly her plane. She decided to have the air battles in order to shorten that process, plus she's so busy with all of the challengers she gets. Not saying it was the best idea, but I can understand that since it must get pretty boring to have so many people want to challenge you and, just like Dento, she likes to indulge her hobbies. She couldn't do that because of the many challengers. Dento, I felt, for that reason should have been a little more understanding.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Basically, it appears like she's been winning so much that battling isn't as fun anymore and she likes to fly her plane. She decided to have the air battles in order to shorten that process, plus she's so busy with all of the challengers she gets. Not saying it was the best idea, but I can understand that since it must get pretty boring to have so many people want to challenge you and, just like Dento, she likes to indulge her hobbies. She couldn't do that because of the many challengers. Dento, I felt, for that reason should have been a little more understanding.

You could say the same about Ash and Shingo WAAY back in Johto. Ash was pretty darn upset about it...but Shingo just thought battles were boring and pointless because he could predict it with his computer. (Which I LOOOOVED this episode when I was little, in fact I still do. So that makes me like this episode even more X3)These episodes are similar, but Dento is the one shown to be the "dominant" ticked off one. I wouldn't count Dento's "hobbies" like Skyla's. While I like to think that he is being portrayed as "light-hearted" and perhaps a bit childish (I mean, come on it makes him just seem so dorky and lovable XD) , I can't help but think that I might be wrong. His "hobbies" could actually have meaning to his Sommelier goal--for all we know that Sommeliers might actually have to have different skills to become S-Class (I kind of hope not though ^^; ). It's still different with Skyla, you don't see her saying that she is an "airplane Gym Leader"...if she needs a break she should just close down the Gym for a while and take a vacation or just do what Volkner did--create a black out xDD). Not judge people on the outside without looking into their true talent. Dude, what if this was like American Idol or something and they let people through depending on their actual speaking voice and looks without actually singing?

Last edited:

gohan5

Irisboy
You could say the same about Ash and Shingo WAAY back in Johto. Ash was pretty darn upset about it...but Shingo just thought battles were boring and pointless because he could predict it with his computer. (Which I LOOOOVED this episode when I was little, in fact I still do. So that makes me like this episode even more X3)These episodes are similar, but Dento is the one shown to be the "dominant" ticked off one. I wouldn't count Dento's "hobbies" like Skyla's. While I like to think that he is being portrayed as "light-hearted" and perhaps a bit childish (I mean, come on it makes him just seem so dorky and lovable XD) , I can't help but think that I might be wrong. His "hobbies" could actually have meaning to his Sommelier goal--for all we know that Sommeliers might actually have to have different skills to become S-Class (I kind of hope not though ^^; ). It's still different with Skyla, you don't see her saying that she is an "airplane Gym Leader"...if she needs a break she should just close down the Gym for a while and take a vacation or just do what Volkner did--create a black out xDD). Not judge people on the outside without looking into their true talent. Dude, what if this was like American Idol or something and they let people through depending on their actual speaking voice and looks without actually singing?

And Skyla isn't lighthearted? And Skyla's hobby isn't as important as Dento's? And Dento's really a science/blah blah insert next thing here sommelier? Did you read this? It had nothing to do with what I just said, you just ripped on Skyla again, basically because she isn't Dento. Because the fact of the matter is they are very similar they just went about things in two different ways, which brings me back to my point Dento should have been more understanding.