• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cilan Takes Flight (728)

I don't have anything else to say about this episode except that, I do have to admit, Skyla s hot. :)

JudySpell

Banned
Cilan was acting superior and bossy here with Skyla which I didn't like at all. I didn't think she was doing anything bad with her Gym. 6/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Finally Ash's group arrived at Mistralton city and I liked seeing Skyla fly her plane. Her method of choosing gym winners seemed kind of unfair, so I understood why Cilan got upset, plus I liked that he battled her. :]

Leonhart

Imagineer
Now that Satoshi and his friends were in Fukiyose City, I expected Satoshi to battle Fuuro right away, but that didn't happen since she was neglecting her Gym Leader duties. I can't fault Dent for getting upset with Fuuro's behavior, and I'm glad that he battled her. It's just too bad that he ended up losing.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
It was great to see the male Unfezant for the 1st time. Cilan was incredibly angry. His firey eyes, volcanic background when he blew his top and couldn't take it anymore, and his hilarious angry walk with arms stiffly down and walking stiffly. Skyla's voice was really high pitched and hurt my ears. :p

ZilverLox

Banned
The main thing that stood out here to me is how they seemed to not actually point out the main reason why air battles didn't make sense: the otherwise drilled into us idea that type advantage isn't everything, yet there was next to no mention of it. Ash just calling the idea boring isn't a good argument against it, from someone who has constantly beaten the odds on type match ups, you'd think he would actually say something about that.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Cilan's voice actor did a great job in here (especially loved Jason Griffith's voice delivery during Cilan's moment of shock after he lost). I just love Cilan's raging side.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Given Fuuro's unprofessional manner of handling her Gym Leader duties, you have to wonder why Joi or some other official Gym inspector didn't close down the Fukiyose Gym or fire Fuuro. The lack of formal intervention seemed odd.

I thought that this was a good episode. It feels like Ash arrived in Mistralton City a bit too soon, but the pacing for the BW series goes way too fast anyway. Skyla's victory felt a little cheap since Aqua Jet doesn't cure status problems in the games, but they obviously couldn't have Skyla lose to Cilan before she battles Ash, since that would make her seem mediocre.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
It feels like Ash arrived in Mistralton City a bit too soon, but the pacing for the BW series goes way too fast anyway.

This is my criticism as well since he had just left Hodomoe City a few episodes prior to this one, and he suddenly showed up here in Fukiyose City and we barely even saw the city's main attractions.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Looking back, this is still one of my favorite Black and White episodes. While I don’t like how Skyla was handled compared to the games, it does set her up as a good antagonist for Ash. Plus Skyla’s air battles seem more relatable now than when this episode aired since people are constantly trying to streamline and speed up everything nowadays. If Pokémon did exist, I can easily see a news report in 2019 about a gym leader trying to do something like this (though it would seem just as stupid & ridiculous). Not to mention her reasonings behind the wins and losses can be compared to competitive battle tiers or how players try to only focus on logic and statistics when planning for battles and ignore factors like luck, chance, or experience.

Additionally, it gives Cilan much needed character development. I always liked his overly passionate and flamboyant quirks, but they work even better in this episode since they take his role as a gym leader seriously and use it to show his frustration with Skyla’s air battles. It was completely in character for Cilan & it was nice to see someone other than Ash battle a gym leader without feeling shoe-horned.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mr.Munchlax said:
Additionally, it gives Cilan much needed character development. I always liked his overly passionate and flamboyant quirks, but they work even better in this episode since they take his role as a gym leader seriously and use it to show his frustration with Skyla’s air battles. It was completely in character for Cilan & it was nice to see someone other than Ash battle a gym leader without feeling shoe-horned.

In retrospect, I'm not sure that Dent really developed here. He showed us that he still felt passionately about being a Gym Leader, but his way of pushing his ideals when it came to giving Fuuro the third degree about what she was doing wrong seemed like character regression in a way, because it made Dent seem like a bully.

Scorbunnie

I liked how Cilan gave Skyla a lecture on being a good gym leader because that girl was pure lazy with not wanting to accept challenges just so she could fly her plane. I wish Cilan had fought her and given Ash the Jet badge after wards.

vondecayle

Skyla was so based haha. Coming up with the concept of air battles just to have more free time.

I liked that there’s an ideological issue between gym leaders going on this episode, on how to manage gyms, what constitutes to be a gym leader and what they represent.

Liked how pansage got easily defeated even though I wanted Cilan to win and prove his point. Stunfisk’s Scald on Swanna looked so cool!

Loved how they constantly pointed their perceived flaws at each other. With Cilan telling her that she wasn’t bringing the best on her flying type pokemon, while Skyla pointed out that Stunfisk’s thundershock was not enough to defeat her Swanna and that Dent should teach him thunderbolt instead.

Skyla’s dialogue was pretty entertaining. “Don’t all that talking make you tired?”
“Huh, where this sudden arrogance come from?”
Gramps: “Swanna’s feathers are already smudged.”
Skyla: “That’s quite a thing to say to your granddaughter”

loool the salt in this episode!

9/10