• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Clash of the Connoisseurs! (741)

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I have a feeling that iris is hiding something from ash maybe she know who the opelucid city gym leader is and don't want ash go to that city just like how misty almost did the same thing in season 1 i am guessing if the writer reuse that idea then iris is from opelucid city that what i am guessing.

But that still doesn't make any sense on why she wouldn't be more happy that he wasn't going to the gym. I mean Iris knew what Ash was doing since day one. Collecting badges from gymleaders. So what would she think was going to happe, that he wouldn't want an eigth badge? I don't see why she would be nervous about him battle Drayden unless she was/is the gymleader. If not, than I don't see why she would care. He would be a gymleader like Brycen and all the others that they came across.

And I must say that I love all Cilan episodes. But this one had alot of stuff I didn't like.

-Cilan wining with the Snorlax bug. I was hoping for some more drama.
-Burgundy staying in the shadows.
-Cilan picking one of the most uglist Pokemon from the batch for the girl to have.
-The designs of the girl and the guy was just aweful.

I am Lu

But that still doesn't make any sense on why she wouldn't be more happy that he wasn't going to the gym. I mean Iris knew what Ash was doing since day one. Collecting badges from gymleaders. So what would she think was going to happe, that he wouldn't want an eigth badge? I don't see why she would be nervous about him battle Drayden unless she was/is the gymleader. If not, than I don't see why she would care. He would be a gymleader like Brycen and all the others that they came across.

And I must say that I love all Cilan episodes. But this one had alot of stuff I didn't like.

-Cilan wining with the Snorlax bug. I was hoping for some more drama.
-Burgundy staying in the shadows.
-Cilan picking one of the most uglist Pokemon from the batch for the girl to have.
-The designs of the girl and the guy was just aweful.

Well, Cilan didn't really pick her Pokemon. The girl already had.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Geez, I don't want to intervene, but just let people do their own thing. If Raptor_Crow wants to like Cilan, then let him like Cilan. Everyone has their faves, but there are many who find all the characters likeable. That's the vibe I'm getting from Raptor in this conversation.

You misunderstand. I'm not saying it's wrong to like certain characters. I'm just saying that I know which character he prefers, so if we ever talk about Cilan again, I'll know what to expect from him. But you don't know the real Cilan stans like I do. You have to watch out for them, because they love to oppress characters like Iris and Burgundy. The latter character really needed some development in this episode, but she was used like a tool and then discarded. It's sickening to be honest. She could have easily had Pinot Noir's role, but instead the writers decided to create a new character and have Burgundy appear for the lulz.

Chomper4

Maybe Drayden is the Opelucid Gym Leader, but Iris isn't ready to face him yet.

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
You misunderstand. I'm not saying it's wrong to like certain characters. I'm just saying that I know which character he prefers, so if we ever talk about Cilan again, I'll know what to expect from him. But you don't know the real Cilan stans like I do. You have to watch out for them, because they love to oppress characters like Iris and Burgundy.
And hey have I ever oppressed Iris and Burgundy. No really have I? I enjoy Iris for her wild side, her ninja like skills, being able to understand the hearts of dragons and whenever she shows she's no less of a kid after calling other people kids. Iris has lots of unique aspects and I always look at those when I view her character, I can never understand those Mary Sue comments Iris gets. And Burgundy's constant raging at Cilan is just brilliant. I love how much she hates his composure and that she is unable to get under Cilan's skin, Cilan is always so nice and helpful to Burgundy and she hates it, it's fantastic. She pretends not to listen but does so anyway. Burgundy brings out the fun side of the rivals and that's why I love that girl.

Now I don't speak your 'language', but, from what I've gathered, a stans would also go out their way to defend their favourite character. Am I right? And well I've never done that, I never care about any negative comments Cilan gets because 1. I respect everybody's opinions and 2. as long as I love Cilan that's what matters to me. I really want Cilan to get character development - the reveal of his Purrloin phobia is still open up for that - and at the same time I enjoy everything the writers do with his character. When I said Cilan stands out for me it doesn't mean I don't like or respect every other character equally, it just means he stands out for me as in I enjoy his character a lot, that's it. In fact I can never actually hate anyone.

Last edited:

thunderblade12

What's the point in giving Cilan rivals if they're jokes that have been reduced to old school Team Rocket status? What's the point of giving him a problem to overcome if he overcomes it with little to no difficulty?

Janovy

Banned
What's the point in giving Cilan rivals if they're jokes that have been reduced to old school Team Rocket status? What's the point of giving him a problem to overcome if he overcomes it with little to no difficulty?
*shrugs*

At least he's fun, I guess.

gohan5

Irisboy

That basically sums up what a lot of people feel Cilan lacks as a character. He doesn't appear to have too much depth to him, doesn't struggle or seem relatable sometimes. Oh well, I'm just glad that despite all the hate for Pinot that people dumped on him for no reason the guy actually left on good terms with Cilan.

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
I knew I was going to enjoy Pinot Noir before this episode aired, I thought he would give me Harley vibes and I wasn't wrong.

He has such a snooty design and yet he is such a fabulous werido at the same time that I really want Pinot Noir to come back.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I liked the episode. Pinot Noir was super creepy but also hilarious (dat strut!) and it was nice to see Burgundy again. A solid comedic episode with an unexciting battle. Oh well, we all knew who would win that one anyway.

I didn't like how randomly Ash was diverted from the Opelucid Gym though.

JD

Why did they focus on Pinot Noir shaking his behind with that odd music? Seriously that was just disgusting.. but aside from that I wouldn't mind seeing him again he seems more entertaining than Burgundy.

XXD17

Draco rex
I actually liked this episode even though it was mainly a filler, I know people are going start saying stuff like "we found out Ash is not going to Opelucid so it's not a filler" but personally, that was only a small part albeit a significant one so I'll just called it a semi-filler episode favoring the filler side...anywho, I like this episode, christle got to shine again and it actually showed the speed boost from shell smash rather than just the attack increase with an epic OHKO and we got to see Cilan dig into his knowledge of grass pokemon, his main type...however, the voice for that little girl just plain didn't fit...

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
I just realized something rather funny (or so) about this episode, despite it being focused on Pokémon Sommeliers Dent never once acted smug or over-dramatic with many sparkles like he usually does (heck Dent even got a short sparkly moment during the Pod episode). We never even got to hear "It's Tasting Time!" from Dent followed by Iris calling him "a pain", nope that role was given to Pinot Noir instead. In fact the only times Dent reacted in an over-the-top manner was when he freaked out at Choroneko and being all excited about going to Tachiwaki City with neither of those having anything to do with him as a Pokémon Sommelier. The only scene we saw near a drama moment from Dent was during his imagination spot, however it was the most laid back out of his imagination spots so far. I guess Pinot Noir was enough for a smug and dramatic Pokémon Sommelier.

Dent's composure is amazing, even though the sight of Choroneko caused him to quake in his shoes he knew he had to take the battle in his stride.

Found out after Pinot Noir sniffed Dent's hand Pinot told Dent he had an immature (which was literally a pun on grass-smelling) and unskillful aroma.

Last edited:
Well look at it this way, at less he doesn't shake Cilan's hand and sniff his butt, I mean...shaking his hand would make him a total creepy freak weirdo >:p.

:p Pinot ia gay, confirmed

Interesting ep thogh, and poor cabernet

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I just realized something rather funny (or so) about this episode, despite it being focused on Pokémon Sommeliers Dent never once acted smug or over-dramatic with many sparkles like he usually does (heck Dent even got a short sparkly moment during the Pod episode). We never even got to hear "It's Tasting Time!" from Dent followed by Iris calling him "a pain", nope that role was given to Pinot Noir instead. In fact the only times Dent reacted in an over-the-top manner was when he freaked out at Choroneko and being all excited about going to Tachiwaki City with neither of those having anything to do with him as a Pokémon Sommelier. The only scene we saw near a drama moment from Dent was during his imagination spot, however it was the most laid back out of his imagination spots so far. I guess Pinot Noir was enough for a smug and dramatic Pokémon Sommelier.

Dent's composure is amazing, even though the sight of Choroneko caused him to quake in his shoes he knew he had to take the battle in his stride.

I realized that. :3 He behaved himself. I like sparkley Dento a lot more than sparkly Pinot anyday. xD I felt so bad for him with the Choroneko. He tried to stay tough, and he did. ;-;

Found out after Pinot Noir sniffed Dent's hand Pinot told Dent he had an immature (which was literally a pun on grass-smelling) and unskillful aroma.

Can I say it's official that Dento smells like a meadow now? <3 He's not unskillful D= he just has that youthful smell to him because he's adorkable and cute.

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
For some, it might be from this episode were you may really realize that it's impossible to take Pokémon Sommeliers seriously if you didn't already.

I liked how Satoshi and Iris weren't just shoved in the background and did get to do something, helping Dent out by searching for that Tamagetake.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
That basically sums up what a lot of people feel Cilan lacks as a character. He doesn't appear to have too much depth to him, doesn't struggle or seem relatable sometimes. Oh well, I'm just glad that despite all the hate for Pinot that people dumped on him for no reason the guy actually left on good terms with Cilan.

This is exactly what I wanted to say. But I don't think we should generalize when only a few members actually have an unhealthy obsession with Cilan. It's those types of fans that give the character a bad name because they claim that he's developing as a character, when the truth is that he isn't developing at all. Sometimes I actually wonder if his fans really believe what they're saying, of if they're just trolling everyone. But that's not really important. The main point here is that people shouldn't try to justify the unjustifiable. There's really no point in claiming that Cilan has depth when all he does is twirl around and sparkle. And like a lot of people already mentioned, Cilan technically did nothing in this episode since the little pink-haired girl already knew which Pokemon she wanted. Cilan just stood there and took all the credit as usual.

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
You better not be referring to me as one of those people, because basically all my discussions on Cilan go like this- I liked him here, he made me laugh there, he was cute in that part, he was entertaining in this part... and rinse and repeat. I never once say he's developing or he has depth to his character when I know he hasn't. I'm a person who enjoys Cilan's character and personality but at the same time would love for him to get big character development and want him to. Heck I am even hoping his Purrloin phobia is serious (btw it being revealed here would've been too soon).

The only reason why you never seen me ever complaining about Cilan's lack of development is simple; I like to stay positive when I'm talking about Pokemon. While I can often clearly spot a problem with something or someone I don't like making long-winded debates and arguments so I instead talk about the aspects of an episode or a character that I enjoyed. Is it so wrong being a Cilan fan who has respect for every other character in this show and finding Cilan entertaining but at the same time wanting him to get development? I am that rare viewer who can never be or act negative.

Hm, Dent seemed really excited about going to Tachiwaki City. I wonder why.....
And if someone didn't get it I'll give you a clue: Pokéwood..... Movie Sommelier..... Okay that's not actually a clue, I just basically gave it all away.

Last edited: