• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Clash of the Connoisseurs! (741)

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
And if someone didn't get it I'll give you a clue: Pokéwood..... Movie Sommelier..... Okay that's not actually a clue, I just basically gave it all away.

I know it's offtopic but ingame is Pokewood in Nimbasa City?

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Hm, I'm not sure. While it has not been said/not yet revealed that Pokéwood is in Tachiwaki City, I just put two and two together.

The summary for the Pokéwood episode mentions a port city with a Gym, the shot of Tachiwaki City shows a port and it has a Gym.

Watch Tachiwaki have everything for him there. A port to fish, a subway train, the PokeWood, a mystery crime wave, and a science lab :D it'll be his dream place. xD

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I found the episode to be... very weak. Burgundy was the saving grace, because the episode felt really boring to me. The battle was really uninteresting and somewhat predictable.

As for the bright side, I like seeing the episode didn't solve Cilan's deal with Purrloin. It seems like the writers are saving it for a future opportunity.

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
I've just realized that the way Pinot Noir's did his Pokémon Sommelier tasting was kind of similar to Dent's back during his battle against Satoshi at the Sanyou Gym. And that is he judged compatibility between a trainer and Pokémon based on their style, not realizing if a trainer and Pokémon are really close and they battle the best they can they can even take down the strongest of opponents. So when people said Dent would force Momocchi into something she didn't want back before this episode aired I just thought; "Why?". For Dent to do that would mean he hasn't improved at all and learned nothing from his battle against Satoshi, I knew Dent would be nice and helping Momocchi out and - not surprisingly - my theory was correct. Plus she's a child and Dent has never been mean to a child, if he had been it would've been completely out of character for Dent, also questionable.

The second you notice Dent's worried reaction towards Momocchi looking upset at the Pokémon that were chosen for her you knew Dent wouldn't be forcing this girl into anything. If it wasn't for Dent or if he hadn't been there Momocchi most likely would have been stuck with a Pokémon she didn't even want and she still would have been too afraid to reveal Tamagetake to her father (fearing that he wouldn't like it). Dent did not take credit for anything, all he did was help Momocchi realize that she should not be ashamed with who she wants as her partner and that as long as she is happy her father would be happy too and accepting of her choice. In my views Dent was at his most likeable in this episode from how he helped Momo out.

So long story short- Now I do want Dent to show flaws, but not in an episode were he is helping someone out as a Pokémon Sommelier. Why people wanted him to be full of arrogance and forcefulness in this kind of episode I do not understand, because basically that's like saying you want Dent to not have learned anything from his battle against Satoshi. Yeah there was no development, but at least we could see (when compared to Pinot Noir) how much Dent has changed in his views of the compatibility between a person and their Pokémon. I'd say it is great to see how Dent has improved.

Last edited:

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I've just realized that the way Pinot Noir's did his Pokémon Sommelier tasting was kind of similar to Dent's back during his battle against Satoshi at the Sanyou Gym. And that is he judged compatibility between a trainer and Pokémon based on their style, not realizing if a trainer and Pokémon are really close and they battle the best they can they can even take down the strongest of opponents. So when people said Dent would force Momocchi into something she didn't want back before this episode aired I just thought; "Why?". For Dent to do that would mean he hasn't improved at all and learned nothing from his battle against Satoshi, I knew Dent would be nice and helping Momocchi out and - not surprisingly - my theory was correct. Plus she's a child and Dent has never been mean to a child, if he had been it would've been completely out of character for Dent, also questionable.

The second you notice Dent's worried reaction towards Momocchi looking upset at the Pokémon that were chosen for her you knew Dent wouldn't be forcing this girl into anything. If it wasn't for Dent or if he hadn't been there Momocchi most likely would have been stuck with a Pokémon she didn't even want and she still would have been too afraid to reveal Tamagetake to her father (fearing that he wouldn't like it). Dent did not take credit for anything, all he did was help Momocchi realize that she should not be ashamed with who she wants as her partner and that as long as she is happy her father would be happy too and accepting of her choice. In my views Dent was at his most likeable in this episode from how he helped Momo out.

So long story short- Now I do want Dent to show flaws, but not in an episode were he is helping someone out as a Pokémon Sommelier. Why people wanted him to be full of arrogance and forcefulness in this kind of episode I do not understand, because basically that's like saying you want Dent to not have learned anything from his battle against Satoshi. Yeah there was no development, but at least we could see (when compared to Pinot Noir) how much Dent has changed in his views of the compatibility between a person and their Pokémon. I'd say it is great to see how Dent has improved.

I agree.

In all seriousness, I hope Purrloin Fear is expanded upon as he needs a challenge in something. Cilan is my favorite male traveling companion but seeing him be all perfect does get boring sometimes, but I do still chuckle at his "Time" moments. Along with Iris' "pain time."

I did find it odd that he never sparkled in this episode. Besides he did a really good job of deciphering the aroma from Foongus. I like how he first deleted the pure grass types then left Deerling and Sewaddle as options.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
You misunderstand. I'm not saying it's wrong to like certain characters. I'm just saying that I know which character he prefers, so if we ever talk about Cilan again, I'll know what to expect from him. But you don't know the real Cilan stans like I do. You have to watch out for them, because they love to oppress characters like Iris and Burgundy. The latter character really needed some development in this episode, but she was used like a tool and then discarded. It's sickening to be honest. She could have easily had Pinot Noir's role, but instead the writers decided to create a new character and have Burgundy appear for the lulz.

You're definetly right about Burgundy. But I think the writers were showing us that there are other trainers who call themselves Pokemon Sommeliers. But it would have been nice for Cilan(crustle) could lose.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Like while this episode didn't give much about Dento's Purrloin phobia among other stuff, I found it really interesting. I really liked how it had him deduce each scent in his mind theatre...I didn't know Sommeliers..heck even Dento did that. XD I thought everything was a metaphorical sense ok I still hope "tasting" is XD but it's interesting with the scents. He really had to train his sense of smell to get to know each Pokemon scent, and know the different type of Pokemon scents (which kind of fits in to how the brothers focus on different Pokemon types). So while this episode didn't give much about Dento (though I agree with Raptor_Crow that Dento has refined his tastings) it was interesting. I still wonder why Dento didn't go into his "Tasting Time"...I still think that thing is a double edged sword for him. While he gets a "power up" it clouds his logical thinking sense.

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
XD I thought everything was a metaphorical sense ok I still hope "tasting" is XD
Hey if we did see the licking of a Pokémon occur by a human then it wouldn't be the first time. Remember Brock and that Sudowoodo back in Johto?

Speaking of out of context moments; Burgundy should have really thought hard before she decided to disguise as a grown man and sniff a little girl.

In all seriousness, I hope Purrloin Fear is expanded upon as he needs a challenge in something. Cilan is my favorite male traveling companion but seeing him be all perfect does get boring sometimes, but I do still chuckle at his "Time" moments. Along with Iris' "pain time."
Yeah it is possible this Purrloin phobia of Cilan's could be the one thing which shows Cilan does have a problem amongst his almost perfect persona.

I love Iris and Cilan's exchanges, it's why the Best Wishes trio is currently my favourite trio. Iris's annoyance adds fun to Cilan's time moments IMO.

Last edited:

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
Yep that too, although she instead ended up with a swollen tongue from Snivy's Vine Whip.

As we know Pokémon Sommeliers make evaluations by scents, I gotta wonder if they do actually taste Pokémon or if Burgundy was taking it too far.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Hey if we did see the licking of a Pokémon occur by a human then it wouldn't be the first time. Remember Brock and that Sudowoodo back in Johto?

Speaking of out of context moments; Burgundy should have really thought hard before she decided to disguise as a grown man and sniff a little girl.

Oh my god. That is true...but STILL...it would have been disturbing if they started licking the Pokemon. XD Of course though, it could be because most of them are Grass-types and could have some poison powder on them. xD I kept thinking Dento was going to lick his finger after he found the powder. XD

OMG Dento totally tastes his bait before he uses that awesome pro fisherman actually do that

Yeah it is possible this Purrloin phobia of Cilan's could be the one thing which shows Cilan does have a problem amongst his almost perfect persona.

Dento does have other problems, however, I think they are a staple for Sommeliers. XD But yes his Purrloin phobia...is his biggest flaw. :3

I love Iris and Cilan's exchanges, it's why the Best Wishes trio is currently my favourite trio. Iris's annoyance adds fun to Cilan's time moments IMO.

I agree. I don't know, I loved it when she called him out for playing Detective "games" XDDDD just because her snarky remark was funny AND it made Dento seem cute/silly too.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
You better not be referring to me as one of those people

Of course not. I'm talking about Cilan's unreasonable fans. The ones who think everything he does is "cute." The ones who act as if he's a real person they would want to hook up with. Those are the types of fans that I'm talking about (one of them posted right above me XDDDDDDDDDDD strike-through strike-through strike-through). They're the ones who always start the problems by deluding themselves. There's a huge difference between liking a character, and believing that they're God. And as I said before, only those types of fans think Cilan deserved all the recognition that he got in this episode, when everyone with a brain knows that he didn't do anything. Pinot Noir and Burgundy did more than Cilan did, yet Pinot's known as the "butt-wiggle" guy and Burgundy's the laughing stock of the entire anime even though she's shown the most potential out of all the female rivals. It pisses me off when interesting characters are overshadowed by vapid characters.

Last edited:

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
Of course not.
Ah good. I was wondering because you misjudged me as a Cilan "stans" before which I found offensive.

when everyone with a brain knows that he didn't do anything.
Ah well Cilan did help Momocchi realize she shouldn't be ashamed of the Pokémon she wanted as a partner and that her father will be happy with whatever makes her happy. Like I said if it hadn't been for Cilan Momocchi would have most likely ended up with a Pokémon she didn't even want and would still be too scared to reveal Foongus to her dad. What Cilan basically did was help a little girl realize that you should be more open on your own opinions and that you do not have to go with other people's choices. Now surely that has to contribute as Cilan doing something, right?

Near the end of this episode we got the usual "Next time I won't lose" from Pinot to Cilan. Now with the newer series that does leave the question of whenever he will return or not open. Unlike Kanto. Oh and Cilan gave him the same response that he gave to Burgundy "I'm looking forward to it".

Last edited:

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
I liked Pinot Noir so I'm open to that odd fabulous guy returning. I have wonder if there's even a normal behaving Pokémon Sommelier around Isshu.

But then I realized just how can they act normal? You know I'd like to see the head of the Pokémon Sommelier comity appear (if there even is one).

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
XDDDDDDDDDDD strike-through strike-through strike-through).

Poking fun of my posting style are we? What a kid. u_u

I hope Pinot Noir returns, even though he did scar me. XD Lol Dento "I'll look forward to it" Does he look forward to being beaten? XD It's almost like he doesn't believe it, but just wants to be polite about it.

I imagine the head of the Sommelier Commitee acting just like Dento or something. I find it kind of awesome. Dento's such a weirdo, but he's the sane one. XDDDD